REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 06-16-2015, 08:59 PM   #51
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twdm View Post
So we should base our arguments on speculation of intent?

If I said don't buy Canadian crap then I must be racist against Caucasians since they are the majority. Am I doing it right?
That's really not even close if you're talking race since approximately 1/4 of Canada is non-white while less than 0.1% is non-Asian in China.

But, no, we shouldn't base arguments on speculation.
Advertisement
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:09 PM   #52
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,800 Times in 3,897 Posts
I have no problem with his message, except for the line where he tells you to gtfo of our country if you don't agree with his views.

You don't need to read in between the lines to know there's serious discriminatory undertone in that phrase.

you should not be in this country implies go back to your country

his truck is missing a confederate flag....joke's on him you simply can't avoid Chinese-made products in this day and age
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 09:13 PM   #53
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
all the people that say it's not racist back it up with some retarded comment that displays their opposition to mainlanders LOL

"they poison their own people, it's true"
"i'm chinese, get that mainland outta here"
"im from hong kong" (nuff said)
it's not a retarded comment.. they do poison their own people, please look up the Chinese milk scandal or any food scandal in China and you'll see why that comment is warranted. the milk scandal caused a shortage of infant formula in Hong Kong because mainlanders cleaned off the shelves, if that happened to you and you can't feed your kid, wouldn't you be pissed off too?

anything that's grown in China is either contaminated by heavy metals from improper disposing methods (dumping chemicals in the ground or in the river) or sprayed so heavily with commercial pesticide that no one will eat what's grown on China soil. we're already witnessing how China is importing food from various countries (Canada included) and that's how it will continue to be because China simply can't grow healthy food anymore. so yes, in every literal sense - they [China] are poisoning their own people. that is the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Fanatic View Post
If you're Chinese/Asian and not offended by that sign, than you're a fool.

You think the driver cares that you're a CBC/second/third/fourth generation Chinese-Canadian? Or even Chinese at all. I bet he thinks we all look alike.

No. To him you're just another Chinaman who stole his job/priced him out of the housing market/ate his dog, watever...
um.. that's like someone saying white people are responsible for the Holocaust without taking into consideration that Canadians, French, Irish, Americans etc. all have white complexion.. and if these people aren't offended they're a fool? sorry but that's a pretty foolish comment to make

and the driver should care - if his message isn't getting across to the right people then he failed to deliver his message. a cbc/second/third/fourth generation Chinese-Canadian will not feel offended because it's not relevant to them... which begs the question.. is it really a racist comment when the people in question don't view it to be racist?

Last edited by lady_mapetite; 06-16-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: forgot to capitalize my proper nouns
lady_mapetite is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 09:18 PM   #54
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS8 View Post
:
I don't see any racism at all. I see someone who's bitter about a system that favours the rich, enslaves the poor and withers the middle class away.

This is what happens when I don't click the article but, instead, make assumptions but please be aware that I'd rather use a Cheese Grater as a Fleshlight than read a Vanshitty Buzz article.
This. I'm Asian and I don't see this as racist... instead, it is more of a comment regarding capitalism than anything else.

The majority of Chinese manufacturing companies (e.g., Foxconn et al.) are contracted by Western corporations. Bitch and moan all you want about "China crap" but at the end of the day, the West are the enablers of the poor treatment and poor quality of Chinese labour simply because the West are China's biggest customers. If anyone should be blamed for the state of China right now, look in the mirror.

Your (and I mean "your" in the collective societal sense) perceived need to have the latest, greatest, shiny toy every year is the direct cause of "China crap" and whatever you may believe about the state of Chinese manufacturing.

At the end of the day, if you decided not to buy ANY Chinese products your house would be nearly completely fucking empty. That's not the fault of the Chinese; it's the fault of the Western corporations who decided to make a quick buck by outsourcing their production...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 09:27 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Fanatic View Post
You think the driver cares that you're a CBC/second/third/fourth generation Chinese-Canadian? Or even Chinese at all. I bet he thinks we all look alike.

No. To him you're just another Chinaman who stole his job/priced him out of the housing market/ate his dog, watever...
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 PM   #56
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,483 Times in 1,683 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
This. I'm Asian and I don't see this as racist... instead, it is more of a comment regarding capitalism than anything else.

The majority of Chinese manufacturing companies (e.g., Foxconn et al.) are contracted by Western corporations. Bitch and moan all you want about "China crap" but at the end of the day, the West are the enablers of the poor treatment and poor quality of Chinese labour simply because the West are China's biggest customers. If anyone should be blamed for the state of China right now, look in the mirror.

Your (and I mean "your" in the collective societal sense) perceived need to have the latest, greatest, shiny toy every year is the direct cause of "China crap" and whatever you may believe about the state of Chinese manufacturing.

At the end of the day, if you decided not to buy ANY Chinese products your house would be nearly completely fucking empty. That's not the fault of the Chinese; it's the fault of the Western corporations who decided to make a quick buck by outsourcing their production...
+1. This post makes the most sense on this thread.
Old 06-16-2015, 09:49 PM   #57
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Canada also poisoned themselves back in the days with lead paint/asbestos/tanning beds/coal mines/oil sands for profits too...

And eastern ontario or go to any small town BC that relies on lumber mills and you'll enjoy smog as well.
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 09:50 PM   #58
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
I have no problem with his message, except for the line where he tells you to gtfo of our country if you don't agree with his views.

You don't need to read in between the lines to know there's serious discriminatory undertone in that phrase.

you should not be in this country implies go back to your country

his truck is missing a confederate flag....joke's on him you simply can't avoid Chinese-made products in this day and age
Pretty much.

What happens if the First Nations start telling everyone to GTFO off their country and land?

Insults and racism being hurled right back at them right?

Some idiots have a point, but is ruined by their own stupidity.
tarobbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 10:37 PM   #59
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
only thing i find offensive is the pin-striping on this late model dodge. Seriously, is this the 90s?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 10:44 PM   #60

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Lol at the people pointing out canada poisoning us with things like asbestos in the past. I promise you guys don't need to go back that far. It's still happening. Remember that time we sold billions of liters of water to an American company basically for free? Countless tailing ponds incidents. Removing environmental protection laws for thousands of rivers and lakes? That guy needs to realize he's basically limited to products from Norway and Denmark if he wants products from a country without human rights infringements.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 10:46 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
The owner of the truck lives down the street from me in Richmond.

It's him and a bunch of their friends renting a house. Suffice to say:

- They look like they are in the lower income bracket
- Members from that household have been seen trespassing houses in the Ironwood / McNair Secondary Area.
- RCMP claims that they are on their radar (whatever that means)...
- One of them looks like the guy that mugged that spa on No 2. and Granville Road last year.

And that "Offended by this line" in the final sentence seems new. hmmm.. Their jimmies have definitely been rustled.
where around mcnair? Some fucking retard broke into my car to steal a knife, a bottle of cologne and 4 dollars.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:24 PM   #62

Thanked 31,128 Times in 7,143 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Really? The few times I've tried to read articles from vice I've found them to be garbage. Maybe they've changed but most of what I've seen from them is trying way to hard to be edgy/alternative.
VICE has some great documentaries, as well as some garbage. Its the lesser of the evils for lots of mainstream media. I'm just using it as an example of what vanfuckshitpoogarbagecumtowelbuzz is attempting to be. To actually have any idea what is going on you need to get news from many sources and do your best to sort it out.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #63
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,284 Times in 2,504 Posts
I remember someone else pointing this out before (probably in another thread), but despite the questionable journalistic quality of Vancity Buzz, they tend to be a bit faster in getting certain news item out to the public. Of course, this faster response time / quicker to deliver behaviour probably contributes to the poorer quality of their reporting as well. But when it comes to news, there is nevertheless some value in being the first one out the door.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 11:40 PM   #64

they steal news from vpd releases literally copy paste.
meowjinboo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #65
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,284 Times in 2,504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
they steal news from vpd releases literally copy paste.
Whoa~ That bad, huh?

I wouldn't mind any media keeping a close watch on official police release, and paraphrasing / quoting those as their own reports. But plagiarism is obviously not something not to be condoned.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 12:07 AM   #66

i dont mind the vancity buzz articles that pop up on my facebook that tells me which new store is opening in town

for actual current events/discussion or blatant clickbait headlines i don't bother clicking it

vice on youtube still has lots of good videos...a lot of their articles are pretty bad though
Old 06-17-2015, 01:21 AM   #67
y'all better put some respeck on my name

Thanked 9,244 Times in 2,359 Posts
What we need to do is create a RS blog site similar to Vancity Buzz and start converting the forum postings into blog postings. There's always stuff been posted on here that you won't find on any local Vancouver blogs, I mean shit just the shitty driver section on this forum would be getting crazy clicks. I personally don't think Vancity Buzz would be able to compete.
Harvey Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-17-2015, 03:25 AM   #68
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
I think there are ... some... people on this thread that are so short sighted...

that they're only reading the letters on the back of the truck... and not putting the whole picture like ford fanatic is saying.

you guys REALLY fucking thing that that truck driver is arguing about politics and corruption? HAHAHA...

you guys saying they REALLY DID POISON THEIR OWN PEOPLE... who the fuck is THEY.

you think jack ma is one of those people?

lol.

THEY REALLY DID.

GUESS WHAT

WESTERNERS EXTORT AND ENSLAVE EVERYONE ELSE. IT'S TRUE. IT'S FACT. GOOGLE IT. IT'S WRITTEN IN HISTORY. ALL OF THEM. THEY ALL DO IT.

i cannot seriously believe you of all people skinnypupp... only read the words on the back of the truck... like they are some words out of a text book.

it's on a back of a fuckin hick ass truck. and someone's already said what this guy appears to be like. AND with all the fuckin mainlander hate going around in the world, let alone vancouver.

you FUCKING THINK HE'S TALKING ABOUT GEOPOLITICS OR CAPITALISM OR SOME SHIT?!

i cannot believe ANY OF YOU think there is no racist undertone.

you're only reading the text on the truck. you're not looking at the whole picture of the situation.

i fucking guarantee you, if you go up to that fuckin guy, and ask him in depth questions about the fuckin politics and capitalism. he's going to spit in your fucking chink ass face, and then tell you you're a dumb fuck and he has no idea what the fuck youre talking about... (and go back to china).

or maybe he's the type that will offer you a seat at his victorian style table, and offer you a cup of english tea in a gold rimmed tea cup. and discuss the very troubling and outrageous acts of corruption and how western capitalism has turned our own soil into a capitalistic battleground.

YEAH OK.

some people aren't fucking stupid. they don't need things to be presented in obvious ways to get a clue.

if u hated chinese people, ... and you wanted the world to know. .. no human being is stupid enough to write hate crime on their fucking truck and go to prison for that shit.

they do it carefully. and if you can't fucking see through that... fucking facepalm man.

you really really really REALLY think he's talking about corruption? LOL you don't think your stay in HK with all the mainlander haters, and all the CORRUPTION news that you constantly hear about has skewed your perspective and interpretation to something that you can understand more?

seriously man... SERIOUSLY get a clue.

you don't need to be a genius to know when a white dude, shows up at your door with those words printed on his t-shirt and all his friends doing the same... to know they want you out, because you're chinese.

"oh... i didn't have a clue, the words didn't grammatically dictate racism, and they didn't call me a chink, so i assumed they were talking about politics and other deep rooted issues."

listen closely... read closely... to the words he's CAREFULLY CHOSEN to PRESENT to the PUBLIC.

any writer, any artist, anyone with HALF A FUCKING BRAIN and any amount of EQ would automatically pick up on the NOT SO SUBTLE message he's trying to send out.

it's obviously a short sighted problem... the people that don't think it's racist, don't think it's racist because THEY AGREE with it... and they don't realise that if you agree with it, you're blind to the other side.

just cuz you think you aren't racist, and you agree with something, doesn't make it NOT racist.

just answer this question:

if we go up to that guy, and we find out HE IS a racist. and he hates chinese people.
would you change your mind on the shit on the truck?

if yes, then you obviously have woken up to a new perspective and can now agree with what i have said.

if NO, then you are just still grammatically, left brained, systematically reading the message, and ONLY reading the message as if it were some thought in your own head. breaking down the words by structure and grammar. linearly. like a fucking computer trying to decode some text.

except youre not a fucking computer. and there's a WHOLE LOT MORE than just the fucking text to interpret.

get a clue, this isn't a protest against chinese made products. this isn't a protest about corruption or capitalism.

this is a protest against chinese people, taking over "his" country and "his culture" and he doesn't fucking like it.
no they don't care about "his" country and "his culture". this is a protest against mainlanders showing up everywhere, and taking over everything. and doing what "they" do... and continuing to be "chinese" people and not being "assimilated" into "canadians".

basically, saying no to anything chinese.

learn to read between the lines man.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 06-17-2015 at 03:42 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2015, 03:55 AM   #69
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
I feel like I'm at a school full of autistic people. And there's a message on the wall that states "You're all so fucking special *thumbs up*"
Clearly spray painted in an act of vandalism. And there's just a buncha autistic people standing around clapping and cheering and happily agreeing with the message.

"But I am special! I agree with the message!"

The irony.

The amount of face palm the guy with the truck is gonna do when a buncha Chinese people agree with him.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 06-17-2015, 07:53 AM   #70
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What's the difference between the two supposed to be? If they are significantly different they might want to split their branding a bit as the vice name is not something I associate with quality.
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
VICE vs main stream places like CNN NYtimes, is more like Vancitybuzz is to Globe and Mail

If you watch any of Vice pieces. They reiterate the headline, put some sensational info, write an ending that claims they cover all angles of an complex issue (like overfishing in the Indian ocean) under 15 minutes.

Another similarity, the reporting teams are usually green and making a name for themselves with the public.

Vice and Vancitybuzz are both insulting to people who want news more than a fancy tagline.
well, vice without the news is generally more OP ed pieces and articles about culture, and just in general "weirder" stuff

vice news is just straight up journalism. and @godwin they won an Emmy for outstanding program, you d should give it a chance.

would globe and mail ever send their journalists to embed in ISIS?
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:10 AM   #71
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
If i drove down the british properties with a big sign saying "white people are savages and barbaric and have killed and betrayed every race out there including themselves! THATS A FACT!!! YOU THINK THEY CARE ABOUT YOU? IF YOU DISAGREE GET OUTTA THIS COUNTRY!"
1 flaw in your oh so awesome train of thought...

Go to the British Properties, you'll see a MINORITY of white people.
Saudi's, Russians, Mainlanders, East Indians, Caucasians. It's not all white dominant up there anymore.. Might as well go to Mission, BC and run your magnificent sign around.

Ofcourse he's racist as he's targeting a certain type of people. He also probably has the intelligence of a nat. Big fucking whoop on this guy and the arguments you're trying to make.

Nobody is going to do shit. He isn't breaking any laws with this sign, he's just pissing some people off.. Knowing him, he's just mad at the "Chinese Only Signs" in Richmond that he can't read, and he's retaliating in his own way.. IQ=0.001 /end.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:26 AM   #72
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
god. a debate over something vancity buzz posted
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:27 AM   #73
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,065 Times in 1,251 Posts

Spoiler!

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #74
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
i thought lots of third generation Chinese were against immigants coming to Vancouver & Pissing into the Garbage can in public malls,No?
Spoiler!
Old 06-17-2015, 09:03 AM   #75
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

I'm mainland chinese and currently living and working in China and I don't find this offensive. In fact it's very true, I'm actually quite ashamed at the society of my people here, for money they'll do anything and don't really care for their own kind as long as there is personal gain. Pretty sad but I can't blame them, it's the overpopulation and horrible government history that's created this selfish society. Sad indeed.
This post FAILED by: