REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   "Say No to China Crap" Rant Spotted in Richmond (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703920-say-no-china-crap-rant-spotted-richmond.html)

Traum 06-16-2015 11:50 AM

"Say No to China Crap" Rant Spotted in Richmond

http://www.vancitybuzz.com/2015/06/r...ruck-richmond/

Quote:

Racist rant spotted written on truck in Richmond
BY LAUREN SUNDSTROM
8:16 AM PDT, SUN JUNE 14, 2015

http://assets.vancitybuzz.com/wp-con...nt-984x500.jpg

Sometimes it’s hard to have faith in humanity. This is one of those moments.

A white Dodge Ram pickup truck was spotted in Richmond with a racist rant scrawled on the tailgate.

It reads:

“Say no to China crap. They poisoned their own people for profits. Do you think they care about us? Protect ourselves and our economy.

If you’re offended by this, you should not be in this country.”

The image is on Imgur and was tipped off to us by a reader.

Chinese foreign investment in local real estate has become a hot topic in Vancouver, prompting people to call for regulations. Some experts, however, say it might be an imagined problem.
This item seems to have generated quite a bit of buzz on my news feed.

Personally, I don't think this is racist at all. The "poisoned their own people for profits" line is 100% true. Richmond City Councillor, Bill McNulty, however, seems to think it is racist, and has urged the Richmond RCMP to follow up on the issue.

bcrdukes 06-16-2015 11:58 AM

But...what if the owner and driver of the truck is Chinese? Does that make it racist?

VR6GTI 06-16-2015 12:00 PM

What's racist about it??

Traum 06-16-2015 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VR6GTI (Post 8648764)
What's racist about it??

I have no idea why it is racist. Seems to me that increasingly, when certain comments are prone to cause one particular group of individuals to become upset, people and the media will label it as "racist", "discriminatory", "biased", etc. without really considering why, or whether it really is racist / discriminatory / biased as they claim.

westopher 06-16-2015 12:17 PM

Its more just horrible articulation of thoughts than being racist.
Vancitybuzz is a bunch of overprivileged hacks trying to stir up controversy by pitting Chinese vs. Canadians (or the "whites" as some ignorant idiots would like to believe Canada is represented by) and gain clicks while trying to pretend they are some sort of cutting edge liberal media like Vice magazine.

7seven 06-16-2015 12:18 PM

I'm chinese and I don't find anything offensive or racist about it. In fact, I myself tend to avoid buying products/goods from China/China made, when alternatives are readily available even if I have to pay more, don't trust or buy any cheap night market/"china crap" products and I avoid Richmond like the plague, only entering to go to the airport and nothing else.

People are way too sensitive and over the top politically correct these days.

Sid Vicious 06-16-2015 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westopher (Post 8648771)
Its more just horrible articulation of thoughts than being racist.
Vancitybuzz is a bunch of overprivileged hacks trying to stir up controversy by pitting Chinese vs. Canadians (or the "whites" as some ignorant idiots would like to believe Canada is represented by) and gain clicks while trying to pretend they are some sort of cutting edge liberal media like Vice magazine.

vice is great, they are pretty unbiased with their news

and yea vancity buzz op ed pieces are hot garbage

murd0c 06-16-2015 12:32 PM

Fuck made a comment yesterday on the opinion piece they wrote on FB and it has over 200 likes and its killing my phones battery dammit

originalhypa 06-16-2015 12:39 PM

Quote:

Richmond City Councillor, Bill McNulty, however, seems to think it is racist
Is it just me, or is this the whitest name ever?

pastarocket 06-16-2015 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8648779)
Fuck made a comment yesterday on the opinion piece they wrote on FB and it has over 200 likes and its killing my phones battery dammit

I feel your pain, Murdoc.I -made a comment about corporations outsourcing manufacturing to China and reaping profits from selling low quality products to people.

226 Likes from that comment. :rukidding:

ree666 06-16-2015 12:42 PM

seen it a few times going through the massey tunnel, im asian and im not offended

jjson 06-16-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8648779)

Unfollow notifications :)

Manic! 06-16-2015 12:53 PM

One word: asbestos.

CRS 06-16-2015 12:53 PM

IB4 CiC tells us how we've already been poisoned by commercial aircraft spraying pesticides on us and mind controlling us via radiowaves so that lizard people can rule from below.

flagella 06-16-2015 01:14 PM

Lol I'm a Chinese myself and want these new wave of mainlanders out. Poisoning their own people part is actually very true.

Gumby 06-16-2015 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by originalhypa (Post 8648781)
Is it just me, or is this the whitest name ever?

That's racist! :p

EmperorIS 06-16-2015 01:28 PM

lol fucking westerners.

Demand cheap low cost products from China.

China delivers and even sacrifice their own people and environment in the process. Western hates on China for delivering.

Fucking hypocrites.

hchang 06-16-2015 01:50 PM

Freedom of speech...

And I also don't see anything wrong with buying from where you please, free trade; do you want to pay $30 for a made in Canada item or $3 for a made in China one

6o4__boi 06-16-2015 01:58 PM

pretty much the only appropriate response to any VancityBuzz article

BoostedBB6 06-16-2015 02:01 PM

Most interesting part of that picture is the fact that those tail lights, on either side of the message, are made in China.....as well as the bulbs....and many many more parts of that truck.

ilovebacon 06-16-2015 02:01 PM

but what about this..

will068 06-16-2015 02:02 PM

The owner of the truck lives down the street from me in Richmond.

It's him and a bunch of their friends renting a house. Suffice to say:

- They look like they are in the lower income bracket
- Members from that household have been seen trespassing houses in the Ironwood / McNair Secondary Area.
- RCMP claims that they are on their radar (whatever that means)...
- One of them looks like the guy that mugged that spa on No 2. and Granville Road last year.

And that "Offended by this line" in the final sentence seems new. hmmm.. Their jimmies have definitely been rustled.

Harvey Specter 06-16-2015 02:04 PM

And of course you'll find this post on VancityBuzz because they probably need more clicks to afford their sub-leased office in DT so they can keep fronting like they're some social media powerhouse.

Traum 06-16-2015 02:10 PM

For what it is worth, this particular piece of news (along with the photo) also made it into the local Chinese newspaper. But IMO, it is questionable whether Van City Buzz or these Chinese newspapers have a bigger readership...

underscore 06-16-2015 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sid Vicious (Post 8648776)
vice is great, they are pretty unbiased with their news

and yea vancity buzz op ed pieces are hot garbage

Really? The few times I've tried to read articles from vice I've found them to be garbage. Maybe they've changed but most of what I've seen from them is trying way to hard to be edgy/alternative.