REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 06-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #26
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

on a side note, ever watch those Cop Block videos of people being unnecessarily treated? Most of those morons i watch deserve eerything they get cause they want to be smart asses and not follow VERY SIMPLE instructions. Not associating OP with it. Just saying.
Advertisement
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-21-2015, 01:58 PM   #27
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

He's over it.. Lol. Cops will be cops
Derrickk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 09:43 AM   #28
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,655 Posts
Is it really too fucking hard to answer two questions and be on your way?

2021 Mustang GT PP1 6MT
dared3vil0 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2015, 09:58 AM   #29
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,581 Times in 4,297 Posts
Sounds like the cop should of held you long for acting like such a tool.
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #30
I subscribe to Revscene

Christ, I've never even had them "run checks" after looking at my licence.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:38 PM   #31
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
It is not unusual to have to wait for an information/records request from dispatch if they are busy with something else. Based on your attitude that you displayed here, they might have been checking further than just a cursory look. There may be someone with a name similar to yours that has an outstanding warrant and they may have to contact the issuing Police force to confirm the information with them. Lots of reasons. As others have said, a little cooperation on your part will get you moving quicker. If you raise suspicions/concerns with the Police, they will investigate further and that takes time. I don't think anyone here believes you got a "time out from Daddy" just because you were a bad boy....or maybe you did???
how in depth are they allowed to check on a road block? i thought road blocks are only to check sobriety, valid license/insurance and vehicles roadworthiness.

a roadblock is meant to only be brief and 20 minutes doesnt seem brief to me. i realize it would be quicker to answer simple questions like a normal person, but its everyones right not to if they chose.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:37 PM   #32
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitaminG View Post
a roadblock is meant to only be brief and 20 minutes doesnt seem brief to me. i realize it would be quicker to answer simple questions like a normal person, but its everyones right not to if they chose.
And it's the cop's "right" to hold a subject (err, client) until they are satisfied that there are no issues with that individual. Even if that includes spending 20 minutes "running checks" on said individual... I am no lawyer, but I am sure it would be quite easy for a police officer to convince a JP that 20 minutes is well within a "reasonable time" especially if the cop is able to articulate that the client (yay!) is exhibiting behavior that is reasonably suspicious and/or normally indicative of someone who is hiding something, such as being a dick and not answering any questions from police.
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-22-2015, 10:18 PM   #33
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
road blocks are primarily to check sobriety, valid license/insurance and vehicles roadworthiness.
Fixed that for you.

There's nothing in law limiting a stop to those items.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:44 PM   #34

i believe they are STRICTLY limited to check sobriety, valid license/insurance and vehicles roadworthiness. random stops are an infringement on our rights against arbitrary detention, but the exception is made to check these things as it is a broad public safety concern.
Old 06-23-2015, 04:33 AM   #35
I bringith the lowerballerith

That has been the restriction placed by the courts in terms of arbitrary detention (and without being required to inform people of their Charter Rights during that initial interaction), however there is nothing stopping any police officer with investigating anything else that presents itself to the during the course of that roadblock.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 04:41 AM   #36
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
Quote:
how in depth are they allowed to check on a road block? i thought road blocks are only to check sobriety, valid license/insurance and vehicles roadworthiness.

A checkpoint is to check....if the check can be done quickly and there is nothing that requires further "checking" then it's over quickly. If it takes longer....and I gave you an example...then it takes longer. "Sorry for detaining you sir....I realize that there is an outstanding arrest warrant for murder ....but because it took me more than 5 minutes to comfrim that....ally ally oxen free...you get to go"...

Last edited by zulutango; 06-25-2015 at 04:59 AM.
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2015, 07:22 AM   #37
I subscribe to Revscene

Didn't the SCC deem roadblocks an unconstitutional arbitrary detention?

Check for sobriety and then let the driver go. There's no need for a round of 21 questions.

Support Road safety through education, not speed enforcement.
sebberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 08:31 AM   #38
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
.but because it took me more than 5 minutes to comfrim that....ally ally oxen free...you get to go"...
I never knew that was how the system worked!

BRB, off to settle some scores...

also, lol at the OP.
You're not ruining his night by being a knob, you're ruining yours.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2015, 09:06 AM   #39
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

They are there primarily to check sobriety and road worthiness, but if there is any reason to stop you for something else such as not wearing your seatbelt, or they see you with a cell phone on your lap that's on, then they have just cause to detain you as it is no longer an arbitrary detention.

Sometimes they ask where you have been or where you are going as a means to determine if you likely have drunk or not. If you are going home from a party, then they may follow up with "did you drink?" If you already are a dick and don't answer that saying that they have no right to ask you a 'personal' question like that, then I'm sure they might want to have a longer chat with you.

My last roadcheck I drove by was in the middle of the day leaving Belcarra park. It's obvious where I've been. I rolled down the window and officer asked if I drank, I said no and he waved me through. Cause he asked me when I was still coming to a stop, I ended not even ever coming to a complete stop at the roadcheck. Be nice, respect the officer and if you did nothing, you probably won't be held any longer than it takes to ask "Did you have any alcohol?"
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 12:37 PM   #40
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebberry View Post
Didn't the SCC deem roadblocks an unconstitutional arbitrary detention?

Check for sobriety and then let the driver go. There's no need for a round of 21 questions.

In so many words...yes....but they also said it was OK...because it was of benifit to society.
Old 06-23-2015, 07:48 PM   #41
look at these diamonds, they shining

Thanked 1,813 Times in 553 Posts
ITT : OP thought he was a hard-ass but realized he's actually an asshole
Drow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-23-2015, 08:12 PM   #42
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 5,279 Times in 603 Posts
Quote:
Random and roadblock stops are saved by s. 1 due to the purpose of the stops. The purpose
is road safety which is a broad public concern. These stops are authorised by law to check on
matters such as sobriety, licensing, insurance and the mechanical fitness of the vehicle.
Further, these stops are designed to be a brief interference with a motorist’s right to travel
about freely. However, random stops and roadblocks are limited to these purposes and do
not give the police an unchecked power to investigate any and all suspected criminal activity.
--------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drow View Post
ITT : OP thought he was a hard-ass but realized he's actually an asshole
I hope OP realizes he was being an asshole and rescinds his ways
Old 06-24-2015, 03:02 PM   #43
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
I'm just going to leave this here.

http://www.revscene.net/forums/70015...ml#post8569451

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post

In practice? It's up to the police to use their discretion in investigating you. If you're being suspicious as fuck and not saying a word, they will be as suspicious as fuck towards you. Sure the reason for continued investigation or probable cause for search may not "officially" be you being silent; but it sure will cause them to continue detective work to find something else.

In personal experience? I've never replied to a question that a police officer has asked me. I was never delayed more than 2-3 minutes.
Silent situations include driving through road checks, side of the road interviews after speeding ("do you know what the speed limit is here?"), and once when walking through my neighborhood pulling a rolling suitcase after a string of recent break ins.
Well shit, at least you have another experience to add to the resume now.

Quote:
I present my driver's licence as required by law when driving.
I'm not an idiot, just an asshole.
You have my full support on the second part, the first part is debatable.

The funny thing about people who are pricks is they love to be pricks but when someone is a prick back to them they cry the loudest. Guarantee OP was that kid who grabbed his ball and went home when he didn't get his way.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #44
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

So much love going around in this forum
Quote:
Originally Posted by sho_bc View Post
Your post isn't entirely clear.

This was my route on Thursday night. There was a roadblock at #1, my bank is at #2, and there was another roadblock at #3.

I drove in to roadblock at location #1. The member started interviewing me while I was idling in the middle of the roadway. He was asking questions such as "have you had anything to drink tonight" and "do you understand me." I stayed quiet with the exception of the BC MVA 73 (2) statement. I was asked to pull over. He then attended to the two cars queued behind me while I had pulled over. He then went to his police vehicle to presumably check my information. He then returned to my car and returned my licence and said "have a good night" The total time elapsed between me being asked to pull over to the side of the road and the member returning my licence was 4 minutes.

I drove to my bank at location #2, attended to my business, then drove back to Byrne Rd.

I drove in to roadblock at location #3. The member began to interview me asking the same sort of questions including "have you had anything to drink tonight" and "do you speak English". He then directed me to pull over. He took my license and vehicle registration. He asked me to make the BC MVA 73 (2) statement which I did. He then said "oh so you do speak english." He continued to repeat variations of "have you had anything to drink tonight." He then made the statement (word for word) "I have all night, I can wait."
He then went to his police vehicle to presumably check my information. He exited his police vehicle and did not immediately return to my vehicle, instead it appeared that he simply loitered near the trunk of his police vehicle. He was not stopping any other cars that were exiting from the private driveway and turning right onto Byrne during this time. I did not see him doing any other "police work" during that time. He did not re-enter his police vehicle after this period of loitering. For all I know he was playing angry birds on his phone to pass the time.

The total time elapsed between me being asked to pull over to the side of the road and the member returning my licence was 21 minutes.

Quote:
I don't think anyone here believes you got a "time out from Daddy" just because you were a bad boy....or maybe you did???
I really do think I got a "time out" as a punitive measure by the roadblock at location #3 simply because I didn't answer questions. How did a roadblock only a few minutes later take five times as long? Looks like ZT isn't really saying much here
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:45 AM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeedee View Post
I'm surprised OP hasn't posted back in this thread after all the heat he's taken so far
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrickk View Post
He's over it.. Lol. Cops will be cops
I went on holiday lol. Some forum member dug through my old posts to find more information on me not talking to police; it's not a stretch to see my last activity date/time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwon View Post
OP you sound like one of those cringey betas that think they're cool for giving police attitude. And why are you calling them members lol
Because that's the term.

Quote:
So he could come here and complain??
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMark View Post
I don't even know what he expects to gain from this thread
Just trying to understand.
Old 06-30-2015, 05:48 AM   #46
RS Peace Officer

Quote:
So much love going around in this forum

This was my route on Thursday night. There was a roadblock at #1, my bank is at #2, and there was another roadblock at #3.

I drove in to roadblock at location #1. The member started interviewing me while I was idling in the middle of the roadway. He was asking questions such as "have you had anything to drink tonight" and "do you understand me." I stayed quiet with the exception of the BC MVA 73 (2) statement. I was asked to pull over. He then attended to the two cars queued behind me while I had pulled over. He then went to his police vehicle to presumably check my information. He then returned to my car and returned my licence and said "have a good night" The total time elapsed between me being asked to pull over to the side of the road and the member returning my licence was 4 minutes.

I drove to my bank at location #2, attended to my business, then drove back to Byrne Rd.

I drove in to roadblock at location #3. The member began to interview me asking the same sort of questions including "have you had anything to drink tonight" and "do you speak English". He then directed me to pull over. He took my license and vehicle registration. He asked me to make the BC MVA 73 (2) statement which I did. He then said "oh so you do speak english." He continued to repeat variations of "have you had anything to drink tonight." He then made the statement (word for word) "I have all night, I can wait."
He then went to his police vehicle to presumably check my information. He exited his police vehicle and did not immediately return to my vehicle, instead it appeared that he simply loitered near the trunk of his police vehicle. He was not stopping any other cars that were exiting from the private driveway and turning right onto Byrne during this time. I did not see him doing any other "police work" during that time. He did not re-enter his police vehicle after this period of loitering. For all I know he was playing angry birds on his phone to pass the time.

The total time elapsed between me being asked to pull over to the side of the road and the member returning my licence was 21 minutes.

I really do think I got a "time out" as a punitive measure by the roadblock at location #3 simply because I didn't answer questions. How did a roadblock only a few minutes later take five times as long? Looks like ZT isn't really saying much here
"he didn't re enter his vehicle"...because he maybe had a radio that they were giving him information???I'm assuming from your MVA section quotes that you have taken some sort of law classes....I used to find the the most complaints come from those with very little actual experience and knowledge. My favourite quote from a roadside Perry Mason who was being taken from a roadside brawl outside a monster party,,,to the drunk tank..."you can't arrest me...my father's a lawyer". She was not correct, as her father later explained to her.
Old 06-30-2015, 06:40 AM   #47
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Or here's a thought: the cop at #3 could see you wandering around the parking lot with a stop at the bank, something tickled his Spidey senses, and when you refused to answer any kind of REASONABLE questions like "what the fuck are you doing there?" he thought it might be PRUDENT to dig a little deeper. He probably radioed the cop at #1 and found out you'd pulled the same act there, which made him even more suspicious, and so FOR THE COMMON GOOD, he took all the time he needed to make damn sure you weren't some roving criminal casing a bank job.

See, cops getting your hackles up at someone pulling a "BC MVA 73 (2)" isn't necessarily being petty or power tripping... most REASONABLE people would find it a sketchy behaviour and they'll wonder what you're up to. A simple reply of, "I'm just off work and going to my bank" could have made the whole thing smooth as silk... but noooooo, you gotta be all "I know my rights".

Long story short: it's not all about you, princess.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 08:25 AM   #48
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
The member started interviewing me while I was idling in the middle of the roadway. He was asking questions such as "have you had anything to drink tonight"
Why would you not answer that unless you had something to drink? I just say no to the officer and off I go. I don't even have to pull over. Less than 30 seconds and I'm done.

If I was the officer, I would have done the same thing. You have the right to remain silent, but why remain silent if you have nothing to hide. That's a red flag to investigate further right there. Seriously, I'd have to say you were just asking for it by being a dick and when an officer finally decided to play along with you, then you think you're being picked on.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-30-2015, 12:18 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
He probably radioed the cop at #1
Thank you. I didn't think of this.
Now the extra time waiting seems more reasonable.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:36 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinn3r View Post
Quote:
Random and roadblock stops are saved by s. 1 due to the purpose of the stops. The purpose
is road safety which is a broad public concern. These stops are authorised by law to check on
matters such as sobriety, licensing, insurance and the mechanical fitness of the vehicle.
Further, these stops are designed to be a brief interference with a motorist’s right to travel
about freely. However, random stops and roadblocks are limited to these purposes and do
not give the police an unchecked power to investigate any and all suspected criminal activity.
--------
--------

I hope OP realizes he was being an asshole and rescinds his ways
if this is the case, then they shouldnt be checking him for suspicious activity or active warrants anyways.