REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   What is a reasonable length of time... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/703960-what-reasonable-length-time.html)

ancient_510 06-19-2015 07:50 AM

What is a reasonable length of time...

...for police to hold you at a roadblock?

Long story short: I never talk to the police. If going through a roadblock, or anywhere really, I never say a word (with the exception of stating name and address in accordance with BC MVA 73 (2)).

Driving home from work, I went through two roadblocks at Market Crossing (went to the bank on my commute). The first roadblock on the actual Market Crossing street seemed fine and the member seemed okay with me not talking. Took my licence and ran my name in his computer. Total stop length was appx 4 minutes; perfectly reasonable.

Second roadblock when exiting back onto Byrne road, another member seemed genuinely peeved that I didn't talk. Indicated for me to pull over and almost seemed to take offence that I wasn't talking. He "had all night" and he "could wait." Took my licence, insurance, and registration; and ran it through his computer. He then stepped out of his vehicle and then loitered for 21 behind his vehicle not checking other vehicles and otherwise not doing anything.

How long in your opinion (our resident Peace Officer's opinions are preferable) is it reasonable to be held by police on the side of the road if they are not actively investigating you?
Does what that member did seem punitive?

hchang 06-19-2015 07:52 AM

If you got nothing to hide why make it any harder than it has to be

I understand it's within your rights to not answer questions like where you coming from but officers are asking questions like that to keep us safe so there's no harm in answering the damn question

jeedee 06-19-2015 07:57 AM

:lawl:

Are you serious? Just answer 2 questions and you're literally out of the roadblock in 1-2 mins (barring you didn't drink alcohol beforehand/don't give any sarcastic answers or attitude)

Anything to drink tonight?
No

Where are you coming from/heading to?
Home

But if I'm reading your OP correctly, when the officer asked you those questions you didn't answer him/say a single word?

And you wonder why you're being held at the roadblock for 21 minutes? :fulloffuck:
Unless you have something to hide, just answer the damn question(s)

smoothie. 06-19-2015 08:02 AM

if you're being an asshole, you'll be treated as one.

it goes for most things in life

fliptuner 06-19-2015 08:11 AM

You're free to exercise your right to not say anything but in doing so, he just reciprocated by using his right to check you out. I don't think a court would hold it against him for making you wait 20 minutes, if that's what you're wondering.

I hate dealing with cops as much as the next guy but if you have nothing to hide, just play ball and be on your way. There are better things to do with your time than to make a point, under these circumstances.

320icar 06-19-2015 08:12 AM

I just don't get people like the OP. There is a difference of being within your rights, and being a difficult person that makes a situation worse. Our police here are very good, and if you choose to excercise your rights as a Canadian citizen, they almost always understand.

BUT, why do it? For the cars I've driven in the past, I used to get pulled over about twice a month, they were rolling VI machines. Yet, I never got a single ticket. There was a strong mutual respect between a citizen and an officer of the law, and humanity is shown both ways.

People like you need to grow up. Act like an adult and save your rights for a time and place. The police are doing their job (such as a roadblock for DUY) not for you, sir, but for all of the other citizens of this country who could be injured or killed by someone else who is under the influence.

Everyone seems to think that they are the ONE person that police are here to serve. No, you are just one of 35,000,000. Odds are sometimes the other 34,999,999 people have a general concern that may go against you

But whatevs. Fuck the pigs, amirite?

sho_bc 06-19-2015 08:15 AM

Your post isn't entirely clear. Are those quotes of what the officer actually said? And what does "loitering for 21" mean?

Do you know that there was no further investigation into anything (relates somewhat to the above)? I know that sometimes running checks can take 10-15 minutes, depending on the situation (computers down/slow, everyone trying to use the radio at once and not being able to key in, etc), or as quickly as 2-3 minutes if all the stars align.

Officers are allowed to conduct roadblocks to check for sobriety without invoking an "official" detention (ie. advising the reason for detention, right to contact a lawyer, etc). What is considered reasonable in terms of time detained is determined by the courts after the fact.

underscore 06-19-2015 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fliptuner (Post 8649993)
You're free to exercise your right to not say anything but in doing so, he just reciprocated by using his right to check you out.

Exactly, you're not be required to say anything but they're also not required to cut you any breaks. It's really the same as anything else, if you're going out of your way to make someones job easier then they're more likely to help you out, conversely if you go out of your way to make their job difficult don't be expecting them to do anything but the same to you.

wing_woo 06-19-2015 09:30 AM

Every time I go through roadblocks, never an issue. Usually officer stops me just long enough to ask if I had anything to drink. I say no and off I go.

I've had some look at me as I was approaching and rolling down my window and he doesn't even say anything and waves me through. Didn't even come to a complete stop.

You exercise your right to not say anything, expect to be stopped longer as officers often deal with those civil rights group of people who believe it's their god given right to do as they please. He/she's gonna look into everything about you if you just don't say anything.

Of course, in your original post, you didn't mention what you mean by not talking (ie. he asked if you drank and you just didn't say anything or if you stopped and looked at him waiting for him to ask you something). But seriously, nothing to hide, answer the damn question and be off. Why go through the hassle.

Unit91 06-19-2015 09:42 AM

Given that you are technically being detained at any traffic stop, the length of the stop is determined based on what is required for the officer to complete his investigation and dispatch with the outcome of that. That includes all reasonable and necessary checks on a person's history and documents and asking any questions related to that investigation.

An officer may require a check in to more detail as circumstances of the stop and the individual(s) often give clues that there is more "beneath the surface". If you are unable or unwilling to provide answers that allow the traffic stop process to move along smoothly, an officer should be doing their due diligence and conducting checks to get the complete picture and know who or what they are dealing with.

There any many "sit around and wait moments" that are out of the officer's control as well. They don't have to be sitting in in the car, staring at the MWS for this to happen. For example, if you have provided expired insurance paperwork and the officer has to wait for confirmation (if they don't just tow you instead), then you are going to be stuck there until such time as that investigation is concluded; it could be a couple hours.

Moral of the story; you are free to follow to the letter of the law on what is required of you at a traffic stop, Just as an officer is justified - and in fact required - in conducting every part of their duty they feels necessary to complete that stop.

pinn3r 06-19-2015 10:14 AM

People like OP :facepalm:

meme405 06-19-2015 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pinn3r (Post 8650048)
People like OP :facepalm:

100%

Just because you have rights, doesn't mean you will always benefit by shoving them in everyone's face.

Tone Loc 06-19-2015 02:22 PM

So let's get this straight...

You decided to be a dick to a cop, when you had literally nothing to hide nor reason to be so evasive.

And now you're complaining because the cop was a dick to you.

Man, I wish we could fail people on this forum...

MarkyMark 06-19-2015 02:37 PM

Get used to it OP, you wanna play the game you gotta expect the consequences of it and wait like a good little boy.

Gerbs 06-19-2015 02:37 PM

Roadblocks normally never take longer than 30 second why would you not talk if u have nothing to hide.

MarkyMark 06-19-2015 02:42 PM

I don't even know what he expects to gain from this thread, even if there was some 15 minute law what are you going to do OP, sue the officer?

BoostedBB6 06-19-2015 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gerbs (Post 8650124)
Roadblocks normally never take longer than 30 second why would you not talk if u have nothing to hide.

Because he has watched to many YouTube videos of Americans giving cops grief for no good reason other than they can......which is funny when the cops give it right back to them JUST BECAUSE THEY CAN.

As for time at roadblocks, they can detain you for any amount of time they see fit until they are happy with the situation. Not answering a simple, direct, non-accusational question with silence will cause an officer to question your legaticamy of being there and cause them to start digging. If you don't want to talk, that's fine. They will run your plates, your drivers license, your VIN and anything else they can to gather information on you.

You wanted to flex your rights, well cops can do just the same if you want to be that way.

Enjoy being a dick to someone just trying to do there job ;)

6o4__boi 06-19-2015 02:54 PM

:facepalm:

starting a fail list for OP:

1. 6o4__boi

fsy82 06-19-2015 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ancient_510 (Post 8649983)
...for police to hold you at a roadblock?

Long story short: I never talk to the police. If going through a roadblock, or anywhere really, I never say a word (with the exception of stating name and address in accordance with BC MVA 73 (2)).

Driving home from work, I went through two roadblocks at Market Crossing (went to the bank on my commute). The first roadblock on the actual Market Crossing street seemed fine and the member seemed okay with me not talking. Took my licence and ran my name in his computer. Total stop length was appx 4 minutes; perfectly reasonable.

Second roadblock when exiting back onto Byrne road, another member seemed genuinely peeved that I didn't talk. Indicated for me to pull over and almost seemed to take offence that I wasn't talking. He "had all night" and he "could wait." Took my licence, insurance, and registration; and ran it through his computer. He then stepped out of his vehicle and then loitered for 21 behind his vehicle not checking other vehicles and otherwise not doing anything.

How long in your opinion (our resident Peace Officer's opinions are preferable) is it reasonable to be held by police on the side of the road if they are not actively investigating you?
Does what that member did seem punitive?

You are what we call a fucking moron for wasting everyone's time

jonwon 06-19-2015 09:11 PM

OP you sound like one of those cringey betas that think they're cool for giving police attitude. And why are you calling them members lol

zulutango 06-20-2015 05:11 AM

It is not unusual to have to wait for an information/records request from dispatch if they are busy with something else. Based on your attitude that you displayed here, they might have been checking further than just a cursory look. There may be someone with a name similar to yours that has an outstanding warrant and they may have to contact the issuing Police force to confirm the information with them. Lots of reasons. As others have said, a little cooperation on your part will get you moving quicker. If you raise suspicions/concerns with the Police, they will investigate further and that takes time. I don't think anyone here believes you got a "time out from Daddy" just because you were a bad boy....or maybe you did??? :)

BallPeenHammer2 06-20-2015 11:40 PM

Why paint a target on your own back when there wasn't one to begin with?

idiot.

zulutango 06-21-2015 06:22 AM

So he could come here and complain?? :)

jeedee 06-21-2015 06:31 AM

I'm surprised OP hasn't posted back in this thread after all the heat he's taken so far :lol

Soundy 06-21-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeedee (Post 8650531)
I'm surprised OP hasn't posted back in this thread after all the heat he's taken so far :lol