REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 06-25-2015, 12:27 PM   #1
HELP ME PLS!!!

Better PC Sound Quality

With the same pair of headphones, the sound quality is much better when I listen to music from my OnePlus One (AudioFX equalizer adjusted) than with my PC (integrated sound, tried adjusting equalizer).

Is there any way that I can get better music quality from my PC without upgrading sound card?

Or is that the only way?

I'm planning to get a headphone amplifier for my PC, not sure if that will make a difference.

I'm using Sony MDRXB500
Advertisement
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 12:38 PM   #2
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
amps always help, there a few out there at different price ranges.

check this out
NwAvGuy: O2 Headphone Amp
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by !Aznboi128 View Post
amps always help, there a few out there at different price ranges.

check this out
NwAvGuy: O2 Headphone Amp
I second this. I have an ODAC O2 combo so DAC plus the amp. It's really all you need.

Also your XB500s are quite bassy non-audiophile headphones, grabbing a DAC or amp for it probably won't make much of a difference. Save your money and invest in a nice set of headphones first, then worry about the source hardware.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
HELP ME PLS!!!

Ht omega cards are real nice. I have a sound card with C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788 chip. Works awesome.

It was worth every penny.
Old 06-25-2015, 04:06 PM   #5
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Like what the other said. But this depends on your current on-board setup. If its really bad then you would probably want to upgrade that first. A decent headphone amp/dac combo will go a long way. I think the general consensus for "best bang for your buck" goes like this... Source files (FLAC/ALAC/320kbps ) - > headphones -> Amp -> DAC

edit: warning.. this is a slippery slope

Last edited by 3klipze; 06-26-2015 at 09:54 AM.
3klipze is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 06-25-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
HELP ME PLS!!!

What's a DAC?

I'm a noob for audiophile.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 10:42 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digita...alog_converter

Quote:
In electronics, a digital-to-analog converter (DAC, D/A, D2A or D-to-A) is a function that converts digital data (usually binary) into an analog signal (current, voltage, or electric charge). An analog-to-digital converter (ADC) performs the reverse function. Unlike analog signals, digital data can be transmitted, manipulated, and stored without degradation, albeit with more complex equipment. But a DAC is needed to convert the digital signal to analog to drive an earphone or loudspeaker amplifier in order to produce sound (analog air pressure waves).
Examples of cheap but effective (and all most people need for casual FLAC/uncompressed music listening honestly...) DACs

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA.
https://www.jdslabs.com/products/46/standalone-odac/

I own the ODAC and I use them for my studio monitors and have nothing but good things to say about them. Occasionally use them with my headphones as well.

Built-in sound on the motherboard will never ever ever be able to match any separate USB DAC. Ever. Ever. Not even close. Even any kind of DAC built in on a soundcard, there will always be some kind of interference from within your computer. Just grab an amp and DAC combo and call it a day. Plus a pair of nice entry-level audiophile non-basshead consumer-based headphones (which your XB500s are).

And yes, this is a very slippery slope, sometimes even more so than car modding

OP what I would suggest you do first is browse through the Head-Fi forums for a nice pair of entry level cans, use them first with your current source material NON EQ'd. If that's sufficient for you, I'd say just forget about getting the DAC/amp.

The most common misconception is that FLAC files all sound way better than 320kbps MP3 files. They do not, UNLESS your source material and headphones are at a level where the additional bitrate can be realized.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: