REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Police Forum

Police Forum Police Head Mod: Skidmark
Questions & info about the Motor Vehicle Act. Mature discussion only.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM   #26
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,909 Times in 3,872 Posts
When you dispute a ticket in court it takes the time and money of the courts does it not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Secondly, at what point was my ticket a legitimate ticket? As I said, I was given a ticket for having the incorrect address on my DL, which I did go to an autoplan agent to have the address corrected. It's not my fault ICBC takes a week to snail mail the sticker with the amended address on it.
You said that the address ticket was removed so you just got a plate ticket, which was completely valid given that your plate was not corrected mounted.

I'm not sure why the sticker would be mailed anyways, I've always had them printed on the spot. Realistically you could just use a piece of tape and change it yourself in the meantime.
Advertisement
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 01:31 PM   #27
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I'm not sure why the sticker would be mailed anyways, I've always had them printed on the spot. Realistically you could just use a piece of tape and change it yourself in the meantime.
You can do an address change online and the sticker is mailed to you. Presumably this is something you do right away when you move, and the sticker should easily arrive within the 10 day window.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2015, 01:50 PM   #28
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I've had a situation like this, where I was told if I disputed the ticket I would receive the offences that he was giving me a break on. What these "other offences" are, is beyond me.

I disputed it anyways, ticket got thrown out and I went on with my life.

And yes cops can pull you over for no reason at all, its happened to me twice in the last week when I was wearing shady clothes in my black car...

Kinda thankful that they check to make sure my car is MY CAR, but it can get annoying if I'm going somewhere.

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2015, 09:35 PM   #29
RS Peace Officer

Thanked 1,636 Times in 683 Posts
First part of the VT was 100% legit....you told us that. How long before getting stopped did you go to the Autoplan agent? I have done business with them to change vehicle details and it was somewhere between instantly and 30 mninutes before the changes showed up on the database...I wonder why yours took so long to show up? Did you inform them within the 10 days required by law?
zulutango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:29 AM   #30
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,543 Times in 840 Posts
Funny story,

Got pulled for using my cell phone (high fine and points), was given a break. Instead received a ticket for not having my registration (significantly lower fine, no points) on me (sitting on the kitchen counter). I quote "You have a clean record and you seem to know what you did wrong, I see no reason to ruin your summer with the cell phone ticket. You can dispute it if you want, they will most likely chuck it anyways, we just wanna make sure you have your paperwork in order"

Nice guy. Still gonna pay it, I fucked up and will take responsibility.
Qmx323 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 08:00 AM   #31
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Similar situation with me. Guy gave me a warning for speeding and a $100 ticket for no insurance papers. Found the insurance papers as he was handing me the tickets. Ended up getting just a warning for speeding as he cancelled the no insurance ticket. Was Richmond RCMP. He gave me a break and luckily for me, it ended up being an even bigger break as he could have went and said, oh, you found your insurance...well let me go change that warning to a ticket for speeding. So, I was very lucky...and it wasn't one of those just above the speed limit ones too. It was open road on Steveston Hwy and I wasn't paying attention (1 in the morning).
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 08:38 AM   #32

Coming down the hill into Kelowna once on a work trip, cops had a stop set up by the visitors' center... my work van had a pretty badly spidered windshield, so naturally the cop pulled me aside and pointed it out, then asked for my license and registration.

Registration I found, but my license was nowhere to be seen... cop asked if I knew my BCDL#, but I didn't... then asked if I knew my SIN#, which I did; he also asked my name, address, etc. to confirm it all. At that point I figured out where my license was: a couple days earlier I'd been in to the local detachment to get a criminal record check done for volunteer work, had taken my license out for them to photocopy, and then put it back in the pocket of a coat that was at that moment, hanging in the closet at home.

I think the cop appreciated the irony of it, and was probably able to confirm my story, since all he gave me was a box 3 N&O and 15 days to get the window fixed. Could have been several hundred dollars and a box 1, but... no fine, nothing for not having my license on me.

So thanks to that cop for having a sense of irony.
Quote:
Old 07-07-2015, 10:54 AM   #33
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulutango View Post
First part of the VT was 100% legit....you told us that. How long before getting stopped did you go to the Autoplan agent? I have done business with them to change vehicle details and it was somewhere between instantly and 30 mninutes before the changes showed up on the database...I wonder why yours took so long to show up? Did you inform them within the 10 days required by law?
Yes I did. My brother is my autoplan agent so it was just a phone call away.
This is one of the reason's why I disputed the ticket and called asking for disclosure. I would have loved to see what he wrote down or be able to see what was on his screen.
For all we know, the address may have been correct on the screen but I didn't have the sticker on my DL hence why he gave me a "break" on the incorrect address on my DL.

Quote:
When you dispute a ticket in court it takes the time and money of the courts does it not?

You said that the address ticket was removed so you just got a plate ticket, which was completely valid given that your plate was not corrected mounted.

I'm not sure why the sticker would be mailed anyway, I've always had them printed on the spot. Realistically you could just use a piece of tape and change it yourself in the meantime.
Sorry, I flipped it around. You are correct.
Don't get me wrong. I'm not CIC and don't want my post to seem that way.

But I disputed the no front plate ticket because of 2 things.
1) my experience has shown me I have a 50% chance of winning because the officer doesn't show up.
2) I wanted to see the officer in court and see what he had to say about what happened that night.

Since the officer no showed, all that I can guess is he used the threat of another charge as a form of intimidation into paying for the ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 12:38 PM   #34
I help report spam so I got this! <--

Thanked 1,215 Times in 535 Posts
How about owning up to your mistake, pay your ticket and learn from it. Instead of trying to skirt the law and brag about it.
Nlkko is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #35

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
What is the charge for a failed dispute attempt now? Wasn't it only like 25 bucks before.

I feel like they need to bump that cost up, just to keep the idiots with nothing more than a hope the officer doesn't show up, from disputing. For 25 bucks its a gamble a lot of people are willing to make. For $100 I feel a lot more people would pay their deserved tickets and just move on.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 02:24 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
What is the charge for a failed dispute attempt now? Wasn't it only like 25 bucks before.

I feel like they need to bump that cost up, just to keep the idiots with nothing more than a hope the officer doesn't show up, from disputing. For 25 bucks its a gamble a lot of people are willing to make. For $100 I feel a lot more people would pay their deserved tickets and just move on.
Also had to miss half a day's worth of work so @ $14 an hour, 4 hours is $56.
I've also shown up to court and had another officer ask the courts to postpone the hearing as the officer in question was away. In that case, it was $56 x 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlkko View Post
How about owning up to your mistake, pay your ticket and learn from it. Instead of trying to skirt the law and brag about it.
Quote:
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-07-2015, 03:21 PM   #37

Quote:
But I disputed the no front plate ticket because of 2 things.
1) my experience has shown me I have a 50% chance of winning because the officer doesn't show up.
2) I wanted to see the officer in court and see what he had to say about what happened that night.
So you cost yourself $56 on a 50/50 chance you'd have to pay another $221 (possibly $316 if the other charge was added back) for a total of $277/372 instead of just paying $171 for a completely valid ticket? On top of not owning up to your mistakes that's not very good gambling.

As a side note not displaying your plate is a lesser fine than incorrectly displaying it, so if you're not going to put it on properly you're better off not having it at all.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #38

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Secondly, at what point was my ticket a legitimate ticket?
Quote:
Then the other officer notices that my front plate was on my dash and not mounted to the front of the car.

So the officer writes me up for the front plate
and not having the correct address on my DL. and then crosses the second charge off and tells me that he will write it back on if I dispute the ticket.
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #39

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
I hope your momma reads thread, sees this comment, and gives you a hearty smack to the back of the head.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 06:47 PM   #40
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
As I said, I was given a ticket for having the incorrect address on my DL, which I did go to an autoplan agent to have the address corrected.
Just quoting because I have a question regarding this for the PO's reading this thread, not because I want to annnoy SumAznGuy.

What's considered an "incorrect address" on a DL? In my case, I rent two homes in two different towns. My DL shows my address in Salmon Arm, as does one of my cars, yet another one of my cars has it's insurance based on my Kamloops address (mainly because that's where the car is kept and only used around town). If I get pulled over in that car and show my DL which has the SA address, can I get ticketed for having an incorrect address?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #41
I bringith the lowerballerith

Your DL is supposed to have your primary residence on it. Helps with things like collisions, injuries, NoK type situations more than anything else. Very common for people who don't want to be found (by police, their enemies, the tin foil army) to use their parents address, a friend's address, keep their old address - and just grab the ICBC mail from there once every 5yrs - and then when stopped and asked to provide their address, they recite the incorrect address in the hopes that the police won't know the difference.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2015, 11:01 AM   #42

Quote:
So you cost yourself $56 on a 50/50 chance you'd have to pay another $221 (possibly $316 if the other charge was added back) for a total of $277/372 instead of just paying $171 for a completely valid ticket? On top of not owning up to your mistakes that's not very good gambling.
The $14 per hour is made up. I don't work at a pizza parlor or drive a red RSX.
Is the fine that much for the front plate? Always thought it was $100 or something like that.
But what I wanted, was to see what the officer had to say.
It may not affect most people here on RS, but one day it could happen.
An officer uses the loop hole of pulling people over to check for valid licenses or insurance and do the walk around or ask to check the trunk.
Then to save face, writes up some bogus ticket or warning....

Quote:
As a side note not displaying your plate is a lesser fine than incorrectly displaying it, so if you're not going to put it on properly you're better off not having it at all.
Thanked for this.
Quote:

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
Old 07-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #43

RS calls me stupid for not talking to the police.

So I see you aren't properly displaying your licence plate
*crickets*
Licence, registration, and proof of insurance
*hand stuff over*
Please state your name and address
*Name and address*
Why doesn't this match your licence?
*crickets*
Is this your licence?
*crickets*
Did you steal this licence?
*crickets*
So my colleague told me you were speeding
*crickets*
Another police officer called me and told me to find this car
*crickets*
I will get them to come to court to testify
*crickets*
Alright, here are a bunch of tickets
*crickets*

It's up to the Crown to prove that you didn't change your address on your license in the prescribed period and not for you to prove that you did. I'm not sure how the computer displays your address...

It's up to the Crown to prove that you were driving the vehicle contrary to a law. I'd call that a "lack of continuity of the accused's journey" and hearsay. Just think why red light tickets are issued to the RO and not the operator (unless someone talks to the Crown and they can put the offence on a specific person).

If you shut your mouth, you may probably have just gotten off with just the improper plate display and a speeding ticket as the RO only.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:34 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ancient_510 View Post
It's up to the Crown to prove that you didn't change your address on your license in the prescribed period and not for you to prove that you did. I'm not sure how the computer displays your address...

It's up to the Crown to prove that you were driving the vehicle contrary to a law. I'd call that a "lack of continuity of the accused's journey" and hearsay. Just think why red light tickets are issued to the RO and not the operator (unless someone talks to the Crown and they can put the offence on a specific person).

If you shut your mouth, you may probably have just gotten off with just the improper plate display and a speeding ticket as the RO only.
And how would not saying anything gotten him off as the RO only? The officer can clearly identify who was operating the vehicle at the time. The reason red light cameras are charged to RO is because there is no way of knowing who was driving the vehicle. If the officer already stopped you, regardless of whether you say anything or not, they have already identified you as the operator at the time of the offense.
wing_woo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:51 PM   #45

@ancient510

Quote:
The $14 per hour is made up. I don't work at a pizza parlor or drive a red RSX.
Is the fine that much for the front plate? Always thought it was $100 or something like that.
$196 for the incorrect plate, $109 for no plate. But there's the $25 for a failed dispute to consider, and the -$25 discount for paying early. So no plate paid early = $84, incorrect plate lost in court = $221 + wages + possibly other charges you got warnings for.

Quote:
But what I wanted, was to see what the officer had to say.
It may not affect most people here on RS, but one day it could happen.
An officer uses the loop hole of pulling people over to check for valid licenses or insurance and do the walk around or ask to check the trunk.
I'm not entirely sure what you're suggesting, people get pulled over, checked, and sent on their way without a ticket all the time.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 07-08-2015, 03:54 PM   #46
RS Peace Officer

The "obstructed plate" VT was not bogus... it was on the dash....the address thing was a mistake...or not? It was cancelled anyway. Previous discussion in this very thread talked about the legally-accepted practice of stoping vehicles for the reasons previously discussed..read earlier posts. I have stopped thousands of vehicles over the years to check those things. The VT was not to "save face"...it was because the plate was unsecured and obstructed. End of story.
Old 07-08-2015, 05:23 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by wing_woo View Post
And how would not saying anything gotten him off as the RO only?
If the officer already stopped you, regardless of whether you say anything or not, they have already identified you as the operator at the time of the offense.
Because according to the OP "The officer based his pulling me over on 'us being called in by an off duty officer who said we were driving dangerously and speeding'".

One officer identified the vehicle, directed their colleague to find and stop it, and then they did. Seems a little difficult to find continuity. I'm not saying the OP is guilty, I'm just saying there is nothing to be gained and everything to be lost by talking to the police.
ancient_510 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:44 PM   #48

Quote:
RS calls me stupid for not talking to the police.

[I]So I see you aren't properly displaying your licence plate
*crickets*
Licence, registration, and proof of insurance
*hand stuff over*
Please state your name and address
*Name and address*
Why doesn't this match your licence?
*crickets*
Is this your licence?
*crickets*
Did you steal this licence?
*crickets*
"Step out of the car please"
*crickets interrupted by the sound of handcuffs*
Quote:
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 05:17 AM   #49
I bringith the lowerballerith

Quote:
One officer identified the vehicle, directed their colleague to find and stop it, and then they did. Seems a little difficult to find continuity.
Far from it. Pulled over shortly after the complaint was made, in the company of vehicles as described by the off-duty officer. No JP is going to believe that the driver somehow magically became different in what is likely a short time frame.

OR, the off-duty officer kept a visual of the train of cars, swung past the traffic stop and wrapped up the phone call with the call-taker with something like "Yup, thats one of the cars, I'll send you a write-up of what I saw/my evidence when I'm back to work".

Both of those scenarios (and many others) are easy ways to ensure continuity of the vehicle for the purposes of issuing a ticket to the driver.
"Never give a match up halfway through. Never say that you do not feel up to it, that your condition is bad, and throw in the towel. Fight to the very end, always looking for your chance to break through." - Kazuzo Kudo
sho_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 05:55 AM   #50
RS Peace Officer

Like Sho said...I have done exactly that on a number of occasions. On a couple of occasions I actually stopped and confirmed the driver's identity to the Member.
This post thanked by: