REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-06-2015, 09:26 PM   #101
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I can't imagine treating people so differently just because their ancestors were born a province or two away.
Entrenched culture and history over thousands of years, something Canada lacks
Advertisement
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-06-2015, 10:18 PM   #102
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
I can't imagine treating people so differently just because their ancestors were born a province or two away.
I don't see where you are getting at. Are you in denial or is it you literally cannot imagine?
rcoccultwar is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-06-2015, 11:36 PM   #103
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Let's hug it out, white people.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:37 AM   #104
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,941 Times in 765 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
To put that into perspective, Germany is only about the size of the southern half of BC. Munich, Germany, to Istanbul, Turkey is about a 2.5 hour flight, which is the same as a flight from Vancouver to Winnipeg. France to Algeria is like Vancouver to Edmonton. I get that the population density is quite different but still, I can't imagine treating people so differently just because their ancestors were born a province or two away.

i'm not sure what you're saying. turkish and german culture are VERY different. Geographic separation (distance) is irrelevant in this subject, most of Europe changes so significantly every 100 miles or so (just look at the UK in the difference in accents and way of life, the south is so different to the midlands as it is to the north).

having said that, europe does not do enough to assimilate all new migrants (especially of late), but has done way better than canada has
4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:13 AM   #105
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
^ That's because Canada is one of the few countries in the world that has an official policy of multiculturalism, rather than assimilation. People are allowed to retain their own cultures openly.

I'm personally ambivalent about multiculturalism as in reality, all it means is that we appreciate different types of food rather than a full embracing of other cultures. The bottom line is that you have to act "Canadian" to get ahead in this country (and no, I wouldn't call owning a house and a small business getting ahead - I'm talking corner-suite or having access to key decision-makers).
Tapioca is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:38 AM   #106
No Titles Given

Quote:
having said that, europe does not do enough to assimilate all new migrants (especially of late), but has done way better than canada has
Multiculturalism is less of a mixed bag to me compared to others.

Previously, the entry point for 'lower end' migrants to the EU was primarily, if not all through, via Italy. Recently, it has been known that a Greek port-town now is a entry point to the EU. Never been to Greece but an author I know of, reports and claims many tourist hotspots in Greece are owned by Chinese!

This presents many situations that may have been calculated. Do some of us who will travel there be impressed that the streets are laden-full of blacks, Chinese, Indian, Arab residents? Do some of us mind, the streets of Greece smelling food overwhelmingly of different ethnic origin? Personally, I prefer Greek homogeneity.

Back on the topic of the Chinese, I would lean towards thinking the Chinese in Greece will not go as far as some Chinese in Richmond in the short to medium term horizon.
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2015, 01:18 PM   #107
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by synchrocone View Post

Previously, the entry point for 'lower end' migrants to the EU was primarily, if not all through, via Italy. Recently, it has been known that a Greek port-town now is a entry point to the EU. Never been to Greece but an author I know of, reports and claims many tourist hotspots in Greece are owned by Chinese!

This presents many situations that may have been calculated. Do some of us who will travel there be impressed that the streets are laden-full of blacks, Chinese, Indian, Arab residents? Do some of us mind, the streets of Greece smelling food overwhelmingly of different ethnic origin? Personally, I prefer Greek homogeneity.

Back on the topic of the Chinese, I would lean towards thinking the Chinese in Greece will not go as far as some Chinese in Richmond in the short to medium term horizon.
But I bet you are O.K. with having a MCdicks, Subway, KFC, and Starbucks in every corner of the world right?
Old 07-07-2015, 01:46 PM   #108
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,378 Times in 1,229 Posts
Quote:

What a bunch of 'yellow-peril' nonsense. I've been to Greece twice and I can tell you emphatically that most if not all businesses are run by Greeks. Your author is on crack. If he means large concerns like hotels and resorts, then how is that different from any other parts of the world?

Quote:
This is exactly what Greece is, a melting pot of cultures from all around the world; Italian, Turkish, Arabic, Slavic, British, American influences stewing over 5 millennia of history. "Greek Homogeneity"? Oxymoron.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 07-07-2015 at 01:56 PM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:35 PM   #109
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Never been to Greece but an author I know of, reports and claims many tourist hotspots in Greece are owned by Chinese!
Also calling bullshit on this. The only thing I've heard is that a lot of business owners in Milan and Paris are Wenzhounese, especially with respect to import/export concerns.

Some off-topic musings about Wenzhou behind the spoiler:

Spoiler!

Last edited by GojiraBNR34; 07-07-2015 at 05:07 PM.
GojiraBNR34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:35 PM   #110
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I'm mixed, English/Chinese and I feel the only thing I can identify with is being Canadian.
Mrblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #111
No Titles Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
But I bet you are O.K. with having a MCdicks, Subway, KFC, and Starbucks in every corner of the world right?
I have to talk my way out of this. I'm ok with it if I only have $10 and not much time to have a solid meal.

I can't quote MoBetta on anything except for a fail button. Can he specify anything that's factually wrong or has any problems he personally has with my above post? I don't speak Greek (actually some Greek), but I will try my best with English.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2015, 07:50 PM   #112
No Titles Given

Quote:
What a bunch of 'yellow-peril' nonsense. I've been to Greece twice and I can tell you emphatically that most if not all businesses are run by Greeks. Your author is on crack. If he means large concerns like hotels and resorts, then how is that different from any other parts of the world?
I'm really glad you've been to Greece twice now. You must really have had a great time as it has been described as one of the nicest places in the world. I don't know where your getting at asking me a question. It is different because tourism is by percentage more significant to the economy than most other economies? You should be able to figure it out I would gather.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:42 PM   #113
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,384 Times in 3,466 Posts
Quote:
I have to talk my way out of this. I'm ok with it if I only have $10 and not much time to have a solid meal.

I can't quote MoBetta on anything except for a fail button. Can he specify anything that's factually wrong or has any problems he personally has with my above post? I don't speak Greek (actually some Greek), but I will try my best with English.
$10 will buy you enough Samosas to feed 2/3 people in Surrey. Mcdicks is considered a luxury in many countries. Also what makes you think Greeks don't like Indian food?
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #114
No Titles Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post

This is exactly what Greece is, a melting pot of cultures from all around the world; Italian, Turkish, Arabic, Slavic, British, American influences stewing over 5 millennia of history. "Greek Homogeneity"? Oxymoron.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GojiraBNR34 View Post
Also calling bullshit on this. The only thing I've heard is that a lot of business owners in Milan and Paris are Wenzhounese, especially with respect to import/export concerns.

Some off-topic musings about Wenzhou behind the spoiler:

Spoiler!
Nice bit of info noobie. I bet when some of those people decide to travel, they might want to think twice on hiring security if they decide to go out of the resort/hotel. You realize the all-inclusive packages don't exactly spin all the money out to the locals(?).
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2015, 09:03 PM   #115
No Titles Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
$10 will buy you enough Samosas to feed 2/3 people in Surrey. Mcdicks is considered a luxury in many countries. Also what makes you think Greeks don't like Indian food?
I don't know. I've never been there and my best friend in elementary school, who happen(ed)s to be Greek, well, we never had Indian food.

I had Greek food once and it came with soup. Had to pack it because it made me feel weird because it had pork in it. Back to the topic of Chinese, I think it was run and owned by Chinese.
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-07-2015, 10:33 PM   #116
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

This thread makes me think. Makes me think long and hard, long and hard.

She is underage but the Hellenic Princess has a lot going for her.
gilllgamesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #117
No Titles Given

Boat people from Syria and Afghanistan set up migrant camp in Kos, Greece | Daily Mail Online

Before Gullulu and Skinnypup change gears in there factory setup transmission; any reason your guy's right amygdala could be involved?
Old 07-07-2015, 10:53 PM   #118
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
I don't know. I've never been there and my best friend in elementary school, who happen(ed)s to be Greek, well, we never had Indian food.

I had Greek food once and it came with soup. Had to pack it because it made me feel weird because it had pork in it. Back to the topic of Chinese, I think it was run and owned by Chinese.
From the mouth of my Kamloops roommate, who is Greek and actually goes back there every year, Indian food is popular over there. Lots of good take out and dine in restaurants that serve authentic Indian cuisine.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 11:00 PM   #119
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
I'm really glad you've been to Greece twice now. You must really have had a great time as it has been described as one of the nicest places in the world. I don't know where your getting at asking me a question. It is different because tourism is by percentage more significant to the economy than most other economies? You should be able to figure it out I would gather.
Yes, Greece's economy is largely dependant on tourism (something like 18% of their GDP), but that doesn't mean it's controlled by foreign resort owners. Yes, there are likely resorts and hotels that are owned by foreign citizens or entities, but the majority of tourism to Greece goes through homegrown shops, tours, hotels/BnB's, restaurants, etc. Most people who go to Greece do so for the same reason why they go to Italy or France: authenticity and Greece's history. You want to sleep at a converted monastery in Athens, eat at a homestyle Greek restaurant, visit the fantastic ruins, etc. The majority of all that is run by Greek natives, not foreigners.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #120
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts

Gululu, maybe if you stopped saying the things you're saying here in this thread in real life and stop acting like you've been victimized for being too rich or some shit and fronting your China love, people would stop being so racist to you.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: