REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-01-2015, 12:03 PM   #26
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gululu View Post
I think we have reached a consensus from above discussions. Direct discrimination and subtle racism against people of Asian descends is still very widely practiced and well at play here in our Vancouver, BC. our common enemy is the white people. I think we should all work together and help each other in all ways necessary regardless of whether u arrived here early or late.
You do know that I am white, right? White people are hating against me.

P.S. You might know Ling Qiu. I am in love with her.
Advertisement

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:07 PM   #27
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Quote:
I think we have reached a consensus from above discussions. Direct discrimination and subtle racism against people of Asian descends is still very widely practiced and well at play here in our Vancouver, BC. our common enemy is the white people. I think we should all work together and help each other in all ways necessary regardless of whether u arrived here early or late.
How the fuck did you reach that conclusion.... nobody said they experience racism...
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #28
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Dude, unless you are perpetually confining yourself to the Richmond Chinese enclave with your FOB friends, I don't even know how you can be so clueless about the society around you. With that out of the way, I will play with your little game here:

1) There will always be idiots with racist tendencies, but for the most part, I'd say it occurs less than 1% of time. What strikes me as rather unbelievable and ridiculous are:

a) an elitist attitude from many of the wealthy new Mainland Chinese immigrants, and
b) how a lot of Mainland Chinese immigrants claim they are victims of racism

But I will discuss more about that in point #4.

2) All I can say is, you are either seriously misguided, or your perception of Canada is completely fxxked up. WTF do you even mean "CBCs will never be accepted as a proper Canadian?" Canada is a thoroughly multicultural society, especially with the bigger cities (Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, and maybe even Calgary and Edmonton.) The vast majority of people are welcoming and accepting of new cultures. I'd tend to disagree with a comment posted earlier by another person that Canada is a giant cultural melting pot -- that particular comment seems a lot more appropriate in the US. Canada's sense of multiculturalism is unique in the sense that we embrace different kinds of cultures, and we are generally happy to have all the different cultures co-existing in the same time and space. We do not have to lose / give up our own cultural practices to live in Canada.

I identify myself as Chinese Canadian. The "Chinese" part refers to my ethnicity, and the "Canadian" part refers to my nationality. If I have to use a single word to identify myself, I'd say I am Canadian. I am not, and will never be a Chinese person with a Canadian passport. I am Canadian with an ethnic Chinese background.

3) Financially, I am certainly not well off, but I am in a comfortable enough place. I #don'tHave1Million, but I do have a good job. I have a retirement plan in place. I want a Porsche and I can't afford one, but I still have a fun car that I enjoy beating on.

More important than money is the fact that I am happy with my life, and happiness isn't something that can be bought with money. (OK, I will acknowledge that money can buy tires, car parts, track days, etc.)

4) I enjoy interacting with people who are polite, respectful, cheerful, etc. I do not differentiate others based on their race. Unfortunately, I have seen more than my fair share of uncivilized behaviour from Mainland Chinese. Letting their kids pee on people's front lawn, acting like they own the place just because they are rich, acting like others have to help them because they need help with basic stuff, carrying their bad habits into the local communities, etc.

Case in point: recently I went for dinner at Alexandra Road in Richmond. Walking between the street parking where I've parked my car to the restaurant, I was absolutely appalled by the number of cigarette butts that were dumped onto the ground and on the tiny bits of grass along the sidewalk. This is not to say that you don't see cigarette butts being dumped by people in other parts of the city, but the sheer number of cigarette butts were just overwhelming and appalling. As I walked to and from the restaurant and my car that night, there were people of Chinese ethnicity that were casually smoking on the sidewalk and chucking their cigarette butts onto the ground and on the grass. It is this type of uncivilized behaviour that I detest.

I have met a lot of well-mannered, respective, and wealthy Chinese people, and I enjoy those experience. Unfortunately, those seem to be the exception rather than the rule.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:18 PM   #29
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #30
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Quote:

4. Do you like to interact with us recent arrival Chinese? or do you hate us?

for 160 a pop yes......and no hate as long as not aunties......

Spoiler!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:32 PM   #31
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
On a somewhat related note. Gululu - Please read this and think about it when you sleep tonight.

Quote:
JEFFREY SIMPSON - The Globe and Mail
July 1, 2015

Everyone’s a critic, but Canadians have so much to celebrate

So, yes, Canadians have too much debt, and we have treated aboriginal populations poorly, and nefarious anti-democratic practices have taken hold in federal politics, and our productivity lags, and our attempts to limit carbon emissions have been erratic, and our military has been run down, and our foreign aid budget is sliding, and the CBC is starved for money compared with other countries’ public broadcasters, and senior corporate types make too much money, and inequality has been rising, and to this list, dear reader, you can surely add your own critique.

Critiquing, after all, is what we journalists do (among other things), to the extent that in focusing on today’s problems we miss underlying currents that should make us celebrate (modestly, being Canadian) on this national day.

Almost everywhere we look today in advanced Western European democracies, we see evidence of ethnic tensions, of backs turning against the “other,” of unease with pluralism. We see, post-Charleston, that Americans are still plagued by the Civil War, fought while Canada cohered into a confederation.

No country, it might be argued, has handled continuing mass immigration with as little social and political disruption as Canada. There are no backlash parties here – no National Front, no UKIP, no anti-immigrant parties of the kind that have sprung up and flourished in Scandinavian countries, no battles about immigration as in the United States. Canada accepts more legal immigrants per capita than any country. Canada is one of the very few countries where pollsters find a positive attitude toward immigration.

Canada is an experiment where people of different backgrounds and languages can live together in harmony – not perfect harmony, but remarkable harmony nonetheless by international standards.

Aboriginals will decry this observation, with reason, since for a very long time they were pushed to the margin of the country’s consciousness. Today, by contrast, scarcely a week passes without some non-aboriginal leader apologizing for past practices toward aboriginals. What good all these apologies will do remains to be seen, but one supposes they represent some kind of an attempt, however halting, to find new paths toward a better future.

It is much harder than some advocates of the aboriginal cause understand to make these apologies stick in a country whose pluralism masks a deep integration impulse.

One secret of pluralism’s Canadian success is that no group that has arrived here during the past century or more has demanded, and received, special treatment. So that whereas we place multiculturalism on the high altar of national symbolism, and allow people to self-identify, as individuals and collectivities, as being from there or there, within a remarkably short period of time, by world standards, people integrate.

This impulse to integration makes those who have gone through it perplexed when aboriginal peoples claim special privileges based on longevity of occupation. These newer arrivals were not around, nor were their ancestors, when policies were adopted that are today much resented and condemned. Immigrants have their own share of stories of struggle and uprooting.

We shall be searching for quite a while to find accommodations between aboriginals and non-aboriginals that are satisfactory to both, and these accommodations, from which we remain still very far, will never be perfect. But then perfection is the enemy of Canada, which is an arrangement more than a strict definition of what a country must be.

As internal arrangements go, the fundamental one has always been, and remains, between French- and English-speaking citizens, they being by far the largest groups. Other countries have split apart on this sort of dividing line, or are teetering near the brink, including old and successful ones such as Britain and Spain. We have endured two referendums, constitutional battles, political fights, linguistic psychodramas, demands and backlashes, but today, some sort of accommodation has been found – an accommodation that will never be permanent, that will shift with events and personalities, but that will not be upset by those who want to break up Canada. The country has endured, and will endure.

But it has done more than endure; it has flourished by any reasonable measure, offering its people, by world standards, an enviable standard of living, social peace, respect for law, robust public institutions and a sense of civility for which we should be grateful and that we must never take for granted.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 12:39 PM   #32
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Quote:

Don't worry, I'm leaving. Can't afford to have a detached house here because chinese are fleeing other chinese who have stolen money from the motherland.

Can't wait to be in Tofino, surfing and enjoying a place that isn't jam-packed full of traffic, disconnected neighborhoods, housing as an investment rather than a place to live and free from the human toilet of the DTES and Gastown!

When I was stoned all the time, it was easy to ignore the downsides of Vancouver and only focus on what I liked. Without the weed it is clear to see that this place is a resort for the rich and not a place to put down roots.
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #33
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
No country, it might be argued, has handled continuing mass immigration with as little social and political disruption as Canada. There are no backlash parties here – no National Front, no UKIP, no anti-immigrant parties of the kind that have sprung up and flourished in Scandinavian countries, no battles about immigration as in the United States. Canada accepts more legal immigrants per capita than any country. Canada is one of the very few countries where pollsters find a positive attitude toward immigration.

Everyone knows if it were poor refugee blacks or muslims we would be totally fucked.

Instead, our government cherry-picked the most elite chinese, many of whom stole money to get here. This influx of money and new culture helped create the housing boom that has now priced out so many ethnic white Vancouverites from ever affording a home here.

https://www.facebook.com/VancouverVanishes

You just wait. The backlash is coming.
Old 07-01-2015, 01:03 PM   #34
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Two things I got from this thread I'd like to share;

1) Based on the way Gululu types, inb4 he's not actually mainland Chinese and straight up trolling with this persona. Mainland Chinese don't give a flying fuck about those issues. Those who do, won't post about it.

2) Some of us are amazed at how "Woah ______(RS User) is Chinese??"
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:04 PM   #35
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Quote:
our common enemy is the white people.

Gululu, at this point I would normally belittle you with some sort of meme... but, since it's Canada day, I will respond in the most diplomatic way that I can.

I rather enjoy being white, and I rather enjoy many non-white people in my life.

It's all a matter of perception and everything is relative, the sooner you figure that out, the better off you will be. Your perception is the problem.

Last edited by jasonturbo; 07-01-2015 at 01:42 PM.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #36
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
I have a few questions for all you CBCs out there. I know there are quite a number of you on here.

1. Do you still face racism each day living in Vancouver? If yes, how bad would you say it is?

2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin)

3. How is your financial status currently? we recent arrivals have a saying that all CBCs are poor people because they arrived to Canada with no money. Do you currently own your home? or rent? are you financially well off?

4. Do you like to interact with us recent arrival Chinese? or do you hate us? do you feel happy living in Vancouver?

if anyone feel there is more to add, please chime in below
1. Not even a little bit. But then again, I live in Richmond.

2. I'm Canadian. 100%. If China went to war with Canada tomorrow, I'd be on Canada's side. The only time I experience racism is from Chinese people who don't consider me Chinese enough for them, which is fine by me because I speak four languages and don't poop in mall garbage cans.

3. I do just fine but I'm very smart with my finances. I went to post secondary for 8 years and still have zero debt. And how would CBC's arrive in Canada with no money? WE WERE BORN HERE and because our parents made huge sacrifices, most of us are pretty well off, actually. We're obviously not crazy rich like most of China's richest...but we are sure way richer than the majority of new immigrants and people actually in China.

4. I hate the ones that can't motherfucking drive. I dislike the fact that so many can't figure out that some of the things that are acceptable in China aren't the same way here and that so many people from China have no interest in being part of Canadian society rather than just making a pocket of China here in Canada.

But mostly, I'm indifferent. Most of us Canadians don't give a shit what your skin color is since we recognize that Canada is about more than skin color.

Spoiler!
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #37
...in the world.

Quote:
I'd sooner side with the white people. They're not the ones driving up the housing prices. Call me a chink all day long as long as my mortgage is affordable.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 02:11 PM   #38
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
3. I do just fine but I'm very smart with my finances. I went to post secondary for 8 years and still have zero debt.

Explains your lack of reality-grounding life experience
Old 07-01-2015, 02:27 PM   #39
The RS Freebie guru

Thanked 2,491 Times in 860 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabs View Post
something new learned by me in this thread... Invisible Soul is Chinese... I thought you were white... lol.
Come on... look at my title. I'm the Freebie guru. Of course I'm Chinese.
InvisibleSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 02:38 PM   #40
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
I will play along. Just some background info, I am chinese and I was born and raised here in Vancouver. My parents are from overseas and I am the first generation here in Canada.

1. Do you still face racism each day living in Vancouver? If yes, how bad would you say it is? I have never faced racism, not ever since day 1 in school til now. All racism I ever faced are trolls and jokes from friends and family. And I love it.

2. Since you will never be accepted as a proper Canadian, then how do you identify yourself? Basically, are you Chinese or Canadian? (just keep in mind you will never be recognized as a true Canadian, because you will have brown eyes, black hair, yellow skin) I am fully accepted as proper Canadian for all I know and its has always been that way. What is your definition of a true Canadian in terms of physical traits?

3. How is your financial status currently? we recent arrivals have a saying that all CBCs are poor people because they arrived to Canada with no money. Do you currently own your home? or rent? are you financially well off? Why does this concern you so much? Are you super rich and super snob? Maybe you need to live outside your circle and experience society as a whole instead of hanging around "your rich friends". I have absolutely zero debt. I pay all my bills in full. And I am financially comfortable. Not rich, and not poor. Currently rebuilding a home with parents and brother.

4. Do you like to interact with us recent arrival Chinese? or do you hate us? do you feel happy living in Vancouver? I fucking love living in Vancouver. And I hate interacting with "you recent arrivals" if you think you are above all and think everyone else is poor. If thats the case, piss off. Canada definitely don't need more of that shitty attitude people coming in.

I have never met you before Gululu, but based on your posts here on Revscene, I assume you fit the bill of the stereotype of mainlanders that lives in Richmond. If I am incorrect, I do apologize.

Happy Canada Day!
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:41 PM   #41

someone is insecure lol
EmOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #42
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

Quote:
Looks like you need a hero to champion your cause.

China-man, China-man,
Coming over to buy your land,
Can he drive? Listen bud,
His windshield is covered in blood,
Look out,
He's going to run you down!
El Dumbasso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 02:59 PM   #43
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
why do you guys keep feeding gulululu?
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 04:42 PM   #44
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Steveston today

swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 04:46 PM   #45
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
^is that op?
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 05:46 PM   #46
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,450 Times in 1,027 Posts
Think we found OP guise

'93 GSR

'99 EXPEDITION
SpeedStars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 07:24 PM   #47
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 1,532 Times in 479 Posts
Since when was China a race of human?

Or are you being subtly racist?
Yodamaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 09:23 PM   #48
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,510 Times in 4,902 Posts
OP, you need to stop being insecure. You also need to get out.

You probably look awkward and out of place to others because you lack confidence and are paranoid.

I've noticed a lot of immigrants don't have proper body language. Some can't look people in the eye........... that sort of shit. When I walk down the street and see dude walking toward me, I do the, "Hey, how's it going," nod. It's not even a noticeable gesture. No words, just a "we're cool". Hard to explain.

Two weeks ago, I was at a wedding. I was the only Asian in the crowd of about 80. I noticed it right away and so did they. No problem, though. I just mingled and talked to them. By the end of the day, I was like everybody else and had a great time. Never once did I feel this inferiority complex you seem to talk about.

Just be genuine and friendly. Nobody is out to get you.

Unless, of course, you are one of those rich assholes who have no class or any fucking idea how to interact with other humans on this planet - had parents who hired others to look after you, never played with other kids when growing up, got into fights (humbled), worked for a living, toiled, never appreciated anything, etc.

But.................... if you need someone to tutor you in the fine art of being cool, I'm your man. Your parents do have a lot of money, yes?

god bless.................
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.

Last edited by MG1; 07-01-2015 at 09:31 PM.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-01-2015, 09:28 PM   #49

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
Or just an asshole.
Old 07-01-2015, 10:01 PM   #50
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Explains your lack of reality-grounding life experience