REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Takaki Ishida (Professional Japanese Basketball Player) vs Derrick Rose(NBA) (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704193-takaki-ishida-professional-japanese-basketball-player-vs-derrick-rose-nba.html)

Timpo 07-03-2015 01:44 PM

Takaki Ishida (Professional Japanese Basketball Player) vs Derrick Rose(NBA)

Takashi Ishida (Japanese Professional Basketball Player)

pastarocket 07-03-2015 01:46 PM

Hey Timpo, does Ishida drive a GT-R? :troll:

SupraTTturbo2jz 07-03-2015 01:49 PM

great video, would definitely watch again

Harvey Specter 07-03-2015 02:05 PM

Wow, crazy.

NOT

multicartual 07-03-2015 02:19 PM

He can put a rubber ball through a net, wow

GLOW 07-03-2015 02:30 PM

with a thread title like that i'm expecting rose to get burned. something like this

mind you this is when harris was with the nets.

meme405 07-03-2015 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by multicartual (Post 8655786)
He can put a rubber ball through a net, wow

And all he has to do is put it through the net more times than the other guy and he wins...:toot:

white rocket 07-03-2015 03:00 PM

Only one round? pointless. Would have liked to have seen a full set up to 10 or something.

Harvey Specter 07-03-2015 03:18 PM

:lawl:

dlo 07-03-2015 03:44 PM

is this d rose pre injury? haha

Gululu 07-04-2015 08:01 AM

http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XMTI1MjMzNjA4MA==.html

vancouver needs nba team NOW.

Gululu 07-04-2015 08:31 AM

WEEK9 ????????? ?????PK?8?????????????? 2015?????????????????

Traum 07-04-2015 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gululu (Post 8656012)
vancouver needs nba team NOW.

I'd recommend you to at least look back into recent history before making uninformed remarks. Last time we tried that back in 1995 - 2001, the team owner nearly completely lost his shirt on the business. Among the primary factors of the business failure were:

1) poor attendance at the games -- it was among the lowest across the league
2) salaries are paid in USD, but revenues are mostly made in Cdn. With a weak loonie, this puts a major strain on profitability.

While it is true that Vancouver had a noticeably smaller population back in the mid / late 90's, I am not at all convinced that the population growth has resulted in more basketball fans. Even with the Canucks, as soon as their performance and standings started dropping, attendance at the games have fallen along side with the standings. Add our city's high standard of living, stagnant wages, and continually deteriorating levels of disposable income, it is easy to see why fans find it hard to support yet another sports team.

willystyle 07-04-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8656024)
I'd recommend you to at least look back into recent history before making uninformed remarks. Last time we tried that back in 1995 - 2001, the team owner nearly completely lost his shirt on the business. Among the primary factors of the business failure were:

2) salaries are paid in USD, but revenues are mostly made in Cdn. With a weak loonie, this puts a major strain on profitability.

While it is true that Vancouver had a noticeably smaller population back in the mid / late 90's, I am not at all convinced that the population growth has resulted in more basketball fans. Even with the Canucks, as soon as their performance and standings started dropping, attendance at the games have fallen along side with the standings. Add our city's high standard of living, stagnant wages, and continually deteriorating levels of disposable income, it is easy to see why fans find it hard to support yet another sports team.

By today's NBA attendance standards, Grizzlies would be near the middle of the pack. Also, corporate sponsorship matters more than attendance, just look at the Raptors when they were having trouble filling seats before they found playoff success. I think the NBA can work in Vancouver (financially), whether NBA players want to play here or not, that's a whole other story.

Traum 07-04-2015 09:53 AM

If corporate sponsorship is that important, wouldn't that make it even more difficult for Vancouver to support an NBA team?

Also, don't forget that Toronto has roughly 3x the population of Vancouver, and Maple Leaf Sports is a much, much larger operation with significantly more assets than Canucks Sports.

willystyle 07-04-2015 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8656038)
If corporate sponsorship is that important, wouldn't that make it even more difficult for Vancouver to support an NBA team?

Also, don't forget that Toronto has roughly 3x the population of Vancouver, and Maple Leaf Sports is a much, much larger operation with significantly more assets than Canucks Sports.

Professional Basketball Could Rebound In Vancouver

Traum 07-04-2015 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willystyle (Post 8656045)

The above news release is from June 2014 though, and at least some of the conditions it cited is no longer true. In particular, the loonie was trading to 0.94 USD at the time, and we have since seen the loonie dipping as low as 0.78, and there are no signs in sight that the loonie will regain its strength against the greenback any time soon.

Also, I'd have to disagree about the income levels as quoted by the report. We do have a lot of very wealthy people in Vancouver, but I highly question whether they have an interest in participating in basketball as a spectator sport.

GLOW 07-04-2015 11:14 AM

i remember watching a piece on TV about grizzlies and how attendance was not the worst in the league in vancouver, and attendance was actually worse for a bit in memphis than it was in vancouver. memphis was big on NCAA bball and they had more attendance there at the time. perhaps now that seattle is without a team that would also help as driving 2 hrs for an nba game isn't that bad.

drunkhomer 07-04-2015 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8656024)

nobody wants to watch a loosing team... I went to 12 Grizzles game, and they lost all 12, haha

There's a huge increase of people from Mainland China now, and Mainlanders love basketball and have money

Manic! 07-04-2015 12:06 PM

Maybe someone from China could can buy a team.

Traum 07-04-2015 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic! (Post 8656066)
Maybe someone from China could can buy a team.

I vote for Gululu to do this. :accepted:

GLOW 07-04-2015 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drunkhomer (Post 8656059)
nobody wants to watch a loosing team... I went to 12 Grizzles game, and they lost all 12, haha

There's a huge increase of people from Mainland China now, and Mainlanders love basketball and have money

you're picking the wrong games to watch. i usually watched them play the clippers, portland, or mavs. half the time they won :lol

Mike Oxbig 07-04-2015 02:06 PM

this is a hockey city and when the canuck sucks... attendance is bad.

if a nba team moves here it will be a bottom feeder for sure

meowjinboo 07-04-2015 03:14 PM

september 2013

typical timpost.

drunkhomer 07-05-2015 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GLOW (Post 8656087)
you're picking the wrong games to watch. i usually watched them play the clippers, portland, or mavs. half the time they won :lol

6 games were vs Portland, 2 were against Mavs...