REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 07-07-2015, 05:39 PM   #1
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
leaking in concrete condo

in the process of looking at purchasing a condo and i noticed water stains on the ceiling of concrete condo. condo is about 20 yrs old.

i'm wondering how this is possible. isn't the advantage of concrete that water does not leak?!?!? showing realtor says that it's from the guy upstair's bathroom, but i don't believe him... the way I understand it

-------bathroom fixture
-------plumbing
-------concrete / my ceiling.

second question: the run from the dryer vent is across a bed room, there is a hairline crack on my ceiling, guy says its a 'stress crack' which is 'common'-- is this true?

third question: the same room also has some water stains along dryer went run. guy says this is because owner did not run the dryer long enough to push out the moisture. again, how is it possible to get water stains? the way i get it

--------concrete / upstair guy floor
--------dryer vent ducting
---------concrete / my ceilling

how does moister go through a metal tubing and then through concrete (same question as #1) and then stain my ceiling?

obviously all these have been fixed but the fixes are what caught my eye.

take me to school.
Advertisement

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
1) Concrete isn't water proof and is very porous. It absorbs moisture and will eventually shed it at the point of least resistance - typically the bottom of the slab.

2) Is the crack in the concrete or on drywall? Either way, a building - especially one that's 20 years old - will slowly settle and cracks can appear. Normally it's not an issue.

3) See #1. Also, if the exhaust run has a leak or simply vents into the ceiling, that will introduce moisture into the interior of the unit.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-07-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
#1 rule of buying anything older than a year, read the depreciation report.

if there are any sort of major membrane or envelope issues that have not been addressed, id stay away.

With that said, this sounds more like an interior issue, and all of it really could be a minor/major problem, or it could really be nothing. Really tough to say
Old 07-07-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Concrete condos do have pipes running between floors behind the dry wall. If they burst, they leak through the gaps between pipes and into the floor below.

Our condo is in the process of getting all the piping switched from copper to pvc after a long time of debating within the strata. Some people say that early (ones 20-30 years old) condos suffer from crappy corrosive copper piping like my condo. Buyer beware.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:06 AM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Did you guys have to pay a lump sum out of pocket for that switch over?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:37 AM   #6
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

I think we paid by three installments of 10k each, all out of pocket.
jcmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-08-2015, 10:32 AM   #7
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Our building is hitting the 10 year old mark and for the past 2 years have been dealing with many pin hole leaks in the copper pipes.
From the research that I have done, our water has a lot of minerals that is corrosive to copper pipes.
We have 2 options rights right now. Change to PVC piping or drain the water, run an epoxy type material through the pipes to add a lining to the pipes and hope it adds more life to the piping.

But eventually, the pipes will fail.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 05:46 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

I took some pics of the leaks, tried getting some info from the selling agent, but no luck.

anyone got any thoughs? its 20 yr old building. is this common?

Capture0.jpg

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
Old 07-08-2015, 08:47 PM   #9
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,067 Times in 1,252 Posts
just wait till u rip out the carpet

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:09 PM   #10
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger_handheld View Post
I took some pics of the leaks, tried getting some info from the selling agent, but no luck.

anyone got any thoughs? its 20 yr old building. is this common?
Wow... that looks bad.

Given that any RE investment amounts to a significant amount of $$ for the average person, my recommendation is to hire a professional building inspector to look through your unit and especially at this leak. If you are interested, I know of a reasonably good one that I can recommend.

p.s. And as per Hondaracer's recommendation, definitely read through the building depreciation report and look through all the known deficiencies.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:49 PM   #11
MiX iT Up!

the weird part is its two different spots. there is no continuous water stain from top to bottom.

the top one is isoloated to the top and the bottom one is just at the bottom.

some theories for the bottom are: carpet cleaning solution got sprayed / over sprayed.

top theories are: above unit flooded and caused small leak. strata piping leaked.
beside the space is a bathroom. the bathroom has no water stain marks.

so freakin weird.

going there with a contractor friend tomorrow before dishing out any cash or making offers.

Old 07-08-2015, 11:00 PM   #12
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Is that drywall or painted concrete?
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #13
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Stay away. I would never buy an apartment that looks like there are leakings. Is such a headache to deal with.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 08:50 AM   #14
Banned By Establishment

If you really want that place get a thorough inspection done.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:18 PM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

leaking pipes 100%
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote