REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 07-09-2015, 09:48 AM   #1
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

Experience the car or Retain the Value?

Just interested in hearing some of the opinions of the members on here. If you had a rare car, not talking like super collectibles, but like a low mileage clean ITR, NSX, e30 m3, or whatever.

Would you daily drive that thing? Weekend cruiser? Or park it away only for day insurance when you felt like it to retain value?
Advertisement
und3f3at3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:50 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
One of the other members here said it best.

"It's like not fucking your girlfriend in hopes her next boyfriend will find her more desirable"
Old 07-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #3
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Utility daily and use the fun cars for nights/weekend/track/show.

I definitely wouldn't be commuting with it - especially since the conditions and worksites is crap.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:52 AM   #4
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

"It's like not fucking your girlfriend in hopes her next boyfriend will find her more desirable"
While I understand what they're saying...

For me it's more like: I will bang her, I just don't feel like double fisting her.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 09:54 AM   #5
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Mile it up! Cars are meant to be driven.

I understand that some people buy them as investments (and, given the last 10 years those investments have been more sound than a lot of 'traditional' types of investments)...but to buy a car and never drive it seems so silly to me. But then, I believe one should enjoy life as much as possible along the way...not just at some future date when you can 'afford it'.
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 09:55 AM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,483 Posts
Enjoying it as we speak.
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 AM   #7
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Drive it like you stole it!

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:06 AM   #8
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

no point in owning it if its gonna be parked in the garage all the time.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:16 AM   #9
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

there is also no point daily driving an expensive car and putting milage on it while not actually having fun. I face palm when i see an M3 with 80-120k and then just get tossed up for sale because its seen its best days and those days were used to simply commute.

Depends on a lot of factors regardless, but you should still have a beater car. The shorter your commute, depending where you live in the winter time and how often your city salts the road, etc. will depend how often you should insure it for driving to actually enjoy it.
Mike.L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 10:34 AM   #10
No Titles Given

A major factor is the number of parking spots you have. 10-15 years ago it wasn't uncommon to see a house in Surrey with half a dozen beat up cars parked on the driveway. Granted, outdoors under even a deciduous tree is not a well protected place for a classic or future classic.

I made a huge mistake 4 years ago when I sold my e30 M3. I compare it to this day with my FR-S. I cringe in the fact that the bmw has doubled in value. I have to admit though, I wouldn't be surprised the bmw still would be more expensive to drive the last 3-4 years compared to my now dinged, battered and mysteriously creaky Scion.

There were a lot of factors why I decided new was better. One is, your going to encounter people that know nothing about or appreciate history. Case in point, I should have kicked out my roommate immediately, when he couldn't believe I paid $15,000 for a car nearly the same age as Blake Lively.
synchrocone is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 10:41 AM   #11
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post

Makes no sense. A desirable rare car in mint condition will appreciate in value or hold value really well if you keep it clean and mileage relatively low, while no man is going to find a girl more attractive because she's been banged less times and her value will depreciate as she ages.

That said, weekend warrior is obviously the way to go because that's the only time when you can take the car away from the city for a spirited drive. DDing the car in traffic is such a terrible idea.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:04 AM   #12
GS8
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 7,276 Times in 1,967 Posts
It depends on the car.

In my case I had a Pontiac G8. Only 2200 shipped to Canada in only one year. I daily drove it for 3 years. Regret nothing. Cars don't like to sit around, they like to move just like us. Loved all moments with the car. It was easier to sell the car, thanks to banking 3 years worth of memories with it. You can't put a price on that whether the value went up or down.

On the flip side

If you weekend the car, you're rewarding yourself after completing another week of the grind. You could hate your job, your home, your family, whatever but opening the garage or removing the tarp and seeing your ride all ready for you reinvigorates your body and soul. Fire it up and drive with no destination. Just another moment to savour in your ongoing quest to maintain happiness.

And like in the other scenario, you can't put a price on that whether the value went up or down.

IMO, if you're hoarding a car because of economics and not experience, you're doing it wrong.
GS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
There is no point commuting in the car and putting pointless miles on it IMO, but to leave the car parked in the garage is not only a waste, its 99% that it will be a stupid and pointless investment. 911s aside, none of these cars climbing in value have out-accellerated other smart investments, (or even inflation since the market crash,) which don't require insurance costs and the value of a garage space in Vancouver, or worse yet, storage costs. These cars that are climbing in value, are basically just climbing enough to make the maintenance and insurance costs offset. You made 25k in 5 years on an e30 m3 and only drove it 2k? Big deal! You also paid 5-10k in insurance, a couple k fixing random crap on an old car and 5k in storage costs for a car you didn't drive! A car being an investment is an anomaly. Making a few grand off of a car sitting in a garage is a fucking waste.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:50 AM   #14
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
If I wanted to look at a car and never drive it, I'd go autoart.

I value a car for its performance, not by the dollar hoped to be recovered after buying it and selling it back out.

I just drive it and maintain it. Age will degrade it naturally any ways and parts can be replaced. I just don't bounce the RPM off the rev limiter, but I do like to wind up the engine on those weekend cruises.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #15
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

If you think a car is an investment you're doing it wrong.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:35 PM   #16

Is the rare car your only car?

If so, then sure, I'd drive it, whether for weekend drives or the daily grind. Of course, I'd take care of the car and try to keep her clean, but I'd also recognize that all the extra miles will accelerate wear and tear.

If you have a second car/beater car, is this car fun to drive too, or is it boring? If it's decently fun (and not as rare), then I'd probably drive the second car more often, as long as I enjoy driving the car as well. It's also nice to swap cars from time to time, to mix things up a bit.
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 12:41 PM   #17
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,165 Times in 7,156 Posts
My car is slowly approaching the "no longer low milage" barrier and the value is going to take a hit, but I can assure you, anyone I've ever shot the shit with, driven with, done a track day with or wrenched with all know I'm getting more value out of my car than if I sold it for double. True wealth is the ability to do what you want, and enjoy it. Some of that is gonna cost you some money.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 12:53 PM   #18

Quote:
My car is slowly approaching the "no longer low milage" barrier and the value is going to take a hit, but I can assure you, anyone I've ever shot the shit with, driven with, done a track day with or wrenched with all know I'm getting more value out of my car than if I sold it for double. True wealth is the ability to do what you want, and enjoy it. Some of that is gonna cost you some money.
Great points. If the car, though rare, or semi-rare, makes you happy, then it's worth it. (Within reason + balance, of course.)

For some folks, happiness = seeing the car parked and not be driven.
For others, happiness = driving the car and building memories/driving stories with the car.

Both approaches work. The approach that's not ideal is when someone would be happy driving the rare car, but doesn't because he or she doesn't want to impact the perceived value of the car. Then this person is missing out, and making sacrifices in thinking that he or she will appreciate the money more so than the driving experience.

On a semi-related tangent, I can't recall the exact study, but I remember reading that people--on the whole--aren't very good at predicting what will make themselves happy. They tend to think x or y will make them happy, but even if they achieve x or y, after a certain period of time, they return to their base level of happiness. Similar to how lottery winners are initially happy, and then after a while, revert back to their previous happiness levels.
prolepsis is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 01:25 PM   #19
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Lifes short, enjoy it.

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 01:45 PM   #20
RS Veteran

Thanked 5,024 Times in 1,083 Posts
Many here know I bought a 97 Porsche 911 C4S 1.5 yrs ago with 162kms. It has nearly doubled in value since then! It now has 167kms and I consider it a driver.

Now that the honeymoon stage of owning my dream car has passed, I tend to chose my driving times more wisely so that I get quality drives when I do take it out. (IE early mornings, avoiding rush hour and having time to take back roads).

It has crossed my mind more than a few times that I should sell it or not drive it to keep the kms down. I have a work provided vehicle for daily use and love driving it evenings/weekends when I get some spare time. (Which isn't often with a recently purchased 1939 house and a 1yr old daugher).

Here is a 97 C2S that just sold for well over $100 k CDN with currency conversion and 5%buyer fee. (The C2S is more desirable and it has lower miles than mine)
1997 Porsche 911 Carrera S Coupe | Bring a Trailer

At the end of the day, the car provides more enjoyment for me than having money in the bank.

One thing that I always say is that driving a special car is fun but parking it sucks. Most owners will be worried about damage/theft etc. Your parking situation at work could determine whether you want to commute with it or not.

Last edited by TouringTeg; 07-09-2015 at 01:54 PM.
TouringTeg is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 01:49 PM   #21
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
There is no point commuting in the car and putting pointless miles on it IMO, but to leave the car parked in the garage is not only a waste, its 99% that it will be a stupid and pointless investment.
That depends on your commute, if all you do is sit in traffic then you may as well DD something comfy and cheap on gas, but if even a portion of your commute would be improved by driving your fun car then I say go for it.

Investment-wise I agree, if anyone thinks their car is any kind of investment, or isn't using it to keep the value up, then that's a terrible idea.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 02:03 PM   #22
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Been there and done that. I have owned a few rare cars in my time and I always drive them. I may pick the types of drives I go on. Not a commuter car but rather something to enjoy. Not to say that I have never commuted in them but I usually take them out to enjoy them.
One thing I find with these types of cars, they seem to retain value even with the miles. Main reason is that to get to those miles and still be in good shape indicates a good owner. Someone who does not skimp on the servicing and such.

I'm looking at another weekend car now, something that will fit this bill exactly and believe me, I will be driving it lots.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 02:09 PM   #23
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

I worked a really shitty job last year. My only motivation to get up and get to work was the 20 minute commute I can be inside my car during the drive.

I work so I could afford my car.

Last edited by jinxcrusader; 07-09-2015 at 04:03 PM.
jinxcrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-09-2015, 02:15 PM   #24
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

Id rather save and put the money from buying a "beater" (whatever the price may be), insuring it, gassing it up, maintaining the beater etc into my nicer daily driven car.
Sure ill rack up kms and have the value depreciate a bit, but i'd have much for satisfaction out of my daily driven nicer car ANY DAY.

I've thought about buy a beater for myself many times now over the last few years, infact i still look for one here and there. But once i find one i dont mind putting the money down for, i think of all the places i can put the money towards in my daily driver whether it'd be mods, maintenance, even preventative maintenance.

My 0.2ct is that whatever i put down in total towards owning a beater car, i can easily complete a huge service on my nicer daily driver which should end up running 10x more reliable than a beater.

Mind you if i owned anything close to a Ferrari, i wouldnt be daily driving it...
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:29 PM   #25
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

It ofcourse matters what you drive, anything north of 250 horsepower could cost you 50-80 bucks more on insurance even with majority of the discount.

That is enough money to finance a beater, without even considering gas prices.
Mike.L is offline   Reply With Quote