REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   4x4's and the Great Outdoors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/4x4s-great-outdoors_226/)
-   -   Backroad Mapbooks (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704455-backroad-mapbooks.html)

Tegra_Devil 07-20-2015 07:07 AM

Backroad Mapbooks

anyone use these much?
if so, what do you use? physical book, Garmin GPS version, iphone version etc?

Was thinking of picking either the book or a GPS with some maps

CCA-Dave 07-20-2015 09:41 AM

I use the paper versions of many map series. I have a lot of the Backroad Map books, and my only issue is that they are not very accurate for type of road surface. The guys who started Backroad Map books claim they've improved upon Gov't map data by actually going out and driving to confirm the roads...but they don't actually drive the entire length. If it's paved 1-2km on either end, it's marked in the book as paved. Quite a few in the interior are gravel which has never been paved, but they're marked paved in the editions I have.

Otherwise, they're fantastic. Easy to find stuff, easy to read. Only wish I could buy all of BC in one book.

-Dave

Tegra_Devil 07-20-2015 10:00 AM

ya, I prefer unpaved, so that wouldn't phase me. To they give points of interest and such along logging roads and such.

I know they do it for the digital version, just wasn't sure about the book

CCA-Dave 07-20-2015 11:19 AM

Right after I posted I realized this was in the 4x4 section. The erroneous 'paved' roads probably isn't as big an issue!

They are great for planning overall routes, definitely helpful for getting an idea of where you're going on FSR's and 'in general'. But if you're driving along, and hit a junction you don't recognize I wouldn't expect either the printed or book to save you. FSR's change far too often to fully trust the map book. BUT, having said that, we've gotten ourselves out of sticky situations by being able to look in the book and see "a lake should be ahead" or general items like that.

-D

T4RAWR 07-20-2015 01:30 PM

Have the paper version. Use it mostly as a reference for planning trips. I usually head out and make my own maps while exploring.

RRxtar 07-20-2015 04:35 PM

I have the book version and use Garmin Topo V4 in my GPS. some of my friends have the Backroads GPS software and it blows my Topo out of the water with detail and accuracy. Ill be buying the GPS software next time I head into a new area.

T4RAWR 07-20-2015 04:41 PM

If you have the paper version. Pull it outta the binding, hole punch it and put it in a binder. Put overhead projector sheets over the page/area youre exploring and make notes and drawings etc. Good way to keep things handy like when and where youve been and what kinda access/distance you got last time around

Tegra_Devil 07-20-2015 07:53 PM

thats a good idea.

I was looking into a decent priced GPS as well that i could use their software on. From the sounds of it their Software is amazing