REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > 4x4's and the Great Outdoors

4x4's and the Great Outdoors THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
When pavement meets dirt, Beautiful British Columbia
When life on tarmac isn't enough. This section is for 4x4 Offroad Events, Pics, Discussion. Places to test your truck, Techniques and Skills. Everyone of all skill levels are welcome. Got a wicked campsite you would like to share? Discover the great outdoors, gear discussion etc.
A little mud never hurts, so get down and dirty...

Old 07-20-2015, 07:07 AM   #1
GO FLAMES GO

Thanked 2,210 Times in 701 Posts
Backroad Mapbooks

anyone use these much?
if so, what do you use? physical book, Garmin GPS version, iphone version etc?

Was thinking of picking either the book or a GPS with some maps
Advertisement
2001 Acura Integra Type-R *SOLD*
Club-Integra.net OG
Your Friendly Neighborhood Firefighter
Tegra_Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
I use the paper versions of many map series. I have a lot of the Backroad Map books, and my only issue is that they are not very accurate for type of road surface. The guys who started Backroad Map books claim they've improved upon Gov't map data by actually going out and driving to confirm the roads...but they don't actually drive the entire length. If it's paved 1-2km on either end, it's marked in the book as paved. Quite a few in the interior are gravel which has never been paved, but they're marked paved in the editions I have.

Otherwise, they're fantastic. Easy to find stuff, easy to read. Only wish I could buy all of BC in one book.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 10:00 AM   #3
GO FLAMES GO

ya, I prefer unpaved, so that wouldn't phase me. To they give points of interest and such along logging roads and such.

I know they do it for the digital version, just wasn't sure about the book
Club-Integra.net OG
Old 07-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Right after I posted I realized this was in the 4x4 section. The erroneous 'paved' roads probably isn't as big an issue!

They are great for planning overall routes, definitely helpful for getting an idea of where you're going on FSR's and 'in general'. But if you're driving along, and hit a junction you don't recognize I wouldn't expect either the printed or book to save you. FSR's change far too often to fully trust the map book. BUT, having said that, we've gotten ourselves out of sticky situations by being able to look in the book and see "a lake should be ahead" or general items like that.

-D
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:30 PM   #5
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
Have the paper version. Use it mostly as a reference for planning trips. I usually head out and make my own maps while exploring.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 04:35 PM   #6
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
I have the book version and use Garmin Topo V4 in my GPS. some of my friends have the Backroads GPS software and it blows my Topo out of the water with detail and accuracy. Ill be buying the GPS software next time I head into a new area.
Old 07-20-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
If you have the paper version. Pull it outta the binding, hole punch it and put it in a binder. Put overhead projector sheets over the page/area youre exploring and make notes and drawings etc. Good way to keep things handy like when and where youve been and what kinda access/distance you got last time around
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:53 PM   #8
GO FLAMES GO

thats a good idea.

I was looking into a decent priced GPS as well that i could use their software on. From the sounds of it their Software is amazing
Club-Integra.net OG