REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #1
I answer every Emotion with an emoticon

Thanked 2,485 Times in 1,007 Posts
Stage 3 Water Restriction

Stage 3 water restrictions effective immediately for Metro Vancouver

For those lazy to click

UPDATE: Stage 3 water restrictions effective immediately according to Metro Vancouver.

Metro Vancouver has confirmed that starting Tuesday, Stage 3 water restrictions will come into effect.

Until further notice, watering lawns and washing cars will be prohibited.

Prohibited under Stage 3 water restrictions:
No watering lawns (both residential and non-residential)
No outdoor washing or rinsing of cars and pleasure crafts (boats), except for safety (windows, lights, licenses)
No watering cemetery lawns

Restricted under Stage 3 water restrictions:
Watering flowers and vegetable gardens, decorative planters, shrubs and trees – only if done by hand
Refilling private pools, spas, garden ponds
Click here for more information on what Stage 3 water restrictions mean.
Advertisement
Old 07-20-2015, 06:50 PM   #2
what manner of phaggotry is this

Thanked 5,473 Times in 1,814 Posts
that is absolutely unbelievable. 1 day a week was pretty extreme, i think full prohibition is unprecedented.

its kind of scary to think what's going to happen in the next few years if this drought continues, or even gets worse.
Old 07-20-2015, 06:52 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Thanked 4,841 Times in 632 Posts
^ just look at california 2015

H.Specter is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #4
MG1
Fathered more RS members than anybody else. Who's your daddy?

Thanked 11,511 Times in 4,903 Posts
^but Tom Selleck..........
Youth is, indeed, wasted on the young.
YODO = You Only Die Once.

Dirty look from MG1 can melt steel beams.

"There must be dissonance before resolution - MG1" a musical reference.
MG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:09 PM   #5

this is the scary shit tho

i cant find it but theres a video or a gif that shows a full USA map showing how the drought is growing from where it started to now reaching up into BC and spreading to texas
Old 07-20-2015, 07:10 PM   #6
Revscene.net has a homepage?!

This is just for precautions incase we dont see enough rainfall by October to replenish the reservoir for more important things like showering, doing dishes and laundry.
hi-revs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,323 Times in 579 Posts
Since this is a car forum, as much as I baby my car. I don't care if the car is dirty anymore (waxed it way before water restrictions came into effect lol). I think about how many unfortunate people don't even have water to drink in other places, makes me think twice before I use unnecessary water.
Euro7r is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 PM   #8
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
I don't understand are people upset they aren't allowed to wash their cars?

1st world problems much?

Besides it hasnt rained in over a month, most road going cars should easily be washed with any waterless car wash or quick detailer.

As far as watering your grass goes, who gives a fuck, grass is useless. I remember a shocking study which showed that watering lawns in the United States actually utilized more water than all of the agricultural industry (Fuck me if I can find the article/study now). All grass does is look nice, in fact it's not even a good oxygen producer, among plants it's actually one of the worst for oxygen production 1 average tree (depending on size and type) will produce as much oxygen as an entire football field.

It's why california is telling people to rip up their lawns and put in cactus' or whatever, they simply don't have the water to continue to waste it on useless shit like pretty grass.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 07:51 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

maybe it's time to install residential water meters. This way, instead of telling all the residential what and when they can and cannot use their water for, it will let the residents decide how much and where they want to use the water.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 07:58 PM   #10
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
You can still wash your car you just have to use a waterless car wash product like FW1.

HIGH PERFORMANCE CLEANING WAX IN AN AEROSOL CAN
Old 07-20-2015, 08:02 PM   #11

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
maybe it's time to install residential water meters. This way, instead of telling all the residential what and when they can and cannot use their water for, it will let the residents decide how much and where they want to use the water.
Don't know where you live, but west vancouver has been on meters since like 2009.

North vancouver should be transitioned over before next summer.

Water meters are on their way, just takes forever to roll them out.

EDIT: Actually interesting point, when my house first got switched from a flat rate to meter, I was saving money, not much, but my overall yearly water bill went down. Then after a couple years they upped the cost of the water a couple times and eventually I was back at where I had been before. If we were still at the house I probably would be spending much more on water.

Then again when people are aware you can easily install some rain catchers and a couple of drums to store water for your yard and non-potable uses. Some low flow toilets, and a little bit of conservation, and most people could probably reduce their water usage by a shit load. Truth is most of us are wasteful little shit bags, I'm guilty too, I take longer showers, I sometimes run the water while brushing my teeth, etc.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread

Last edited by meme405; 07-20-2015 at 08:07 PM.
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 08:04 PM   #12
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,810 Times in 8,187 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRxtar View Post
that is absolutely unbelievable. 1 day a week was pretty extreme, i think full prohibition is unprecedented.

its kind of scary to think what's going to happen in the next few years if this drought continues, or even gets worse.
For now it's just an aberration due to a ridiculously hot and dry summer, but eventually it will always be like this. Especially in California
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #13
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
This.

It pisses me off to no end that the people in the fancy new houses on my street have automatically timed in ground sprinklers that come on 7 days per week between midnight and 5am so no one catches them.

Meanwhile, I've dropped $1,500 to install low flow dual flush toilets, we switched the kids up to shower only instead of baths (like 5 years ago) and generally do what we can to conserve water.

If water in all municipalities in the GVRD was metered, I think that would change behavior in a hurry.
EuterVanWasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:07 PM   #14
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
iirc poco has water meters...dunno how sophisticated they are but apparently they only measure by block and not per residence

Anyways, if this goes on let's just start an RS water bottle company...we can get great rates on water
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 08:15 PM   #15
#savethemanuals

Thanked 2,551 Times in 950 Posts
Why does it say outdoor washing for cars? Does that mean we can still wash our cars in our garages or apartment buildings? Seems silly to have the word "outdoor" there.
Energy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #16
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

California..
From zero to flash flood

Heavy Rain, Flooding as Sunday Storm Sweeps Through San Diego County | NBC 7 San Diego
LightKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 08:21 PM   #17
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
So it's currently stage 2 until 12am(Tuesday)?
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 PM   #18
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Depending on your definition of "new".. Houses since 2000s have individual meters. It is likely your neighbors already have meters and also a cistern to store water.

If you want to see how much water you use, you can ask your city to install a meter at your house. Right now it is opt in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EuterVanWasser View Post
This.

It pisses me off to no end that the people in the fancy new houses on my street have automatically timed in ground sprinklers that come on 7 days per week between midnight and 5am so no one catches them.

Meanwhile, I've dropped $1,500 to install low flow dual flush toilets, we switched the kids up to shower only instead of baths (like 5 years ago) and generally do what we can to conserve water.

If water in all municipalities in the GVRD was metered, I think that would change behavior in a hurry.
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #19
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Thanked 1,399 Times in 396 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonestTea View Post
So it's currently stage 2 until 12am(Tuesday)?
v_tec is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 08:34 PM   #20
2013, 2016, 2017 & 2018 NHL Fantasy RS1 Champion

Thanked 1,245 Times in 575 Posts
Lol thanks. Got confused since it also states "starting Tuesday"
HonestTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:56 PM   #21

The thing with lawns is you can still have a lawn, but use a fraction of the amount of water. You just need to do it properly.

I own a Landscaping company and Id say 98% of properties I see have terrible installs. If you put down a good 5-6" of high quality top soil before you put your lawn in, you're going to have a layer of soil in your lawn's root zone that will keep moisture in it for several days before it dries out, even in july and august. The problem is most installers are cheap and cut corners and you're lucky to get an inch on top of a gravel 'fill' base. Gravel holds NO moisture, and actually causes people to waste water. since the gravel doesn't hold moisture, the grass dries out, so people water longer. Except the gravel still doesn't hold moisture so all that extra water just soaks right thru and does nothing. I deal with this every day.

As a member of the IIABC (irrigation industry association of BC), contractors have access to a quite elaborate calculator that takes the evapo-transpiration rate (amount of water that leaves the soil to evaporation and transpiration within plants), fairly precise location, the exposure, plant density, and most importantly measured soil layers, and will tell you exactly how much water you need per week, how many days per week you need to water, and how many milimeters of water you need per watering, to maintain moisture levels in the soil. It will tell you the watering rate at which you reach saturation and cause run off (waste) Its incredible how that amount changes when yo go from a sandy/gravel soil to a good loam.

On top of that, there are growers producing new blends of turf that root deeper and require less than 20% the water that normal kentucky blue grass requires, as little as 1 inch per month.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:00 PM   #22
Doesn't know that condom-depot.com has free shipping

does this only apply to vancouver area or lower mainland as well? Do they have seperate reservoirs for each city?
doritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #23

Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,126 Posts
Water restrictions are going to become the norm in the future. Summers are getting longer and more humid in Metro Vancouver. So much for paradise, eh?
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #24
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,009 Times in 1,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos View Post
does this only apply to vancouver area or lower mainland as well? Do they have seperate reservoirs for each city?
Metro Vancouver

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #25
Banned By Establishment

I don't understand, Vancouver is next to the ocean..

belka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by: