REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 07-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #1
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

Thanked 3,511 Times in 1,156 Posts
Samsung Note 10.1 vs. 12.2

Hi All,

I'm looking to buy a Tablet for the upcoming school year, decided to go full paperless. I need one with a stylus, and if it has its own stylus support the better it is. After a lot of research I have narrowed it down to these few...

This is what i'm thinking.

Note 10.1 2014 edition:

Pro's:
Perfect size
digitizer and stylus
great resolution
versatile

Cons:
Software support and upgrades dwindling since it came out in late 2013.
No longer sold in stores which means there may be a replacement coming out soon?

Note 12.2:

Pro's:
digitizer and stylus
great resolution
Has software support and latest version of Android OS

cons:
It's big, but the size of a paper

Another thing to think about with this one is that I won't be using it to watch movies anyways, mainly for school work and taking notes and stuff, so i'm thinking the size won't be much of an issue but not sure.

Tab A 9.7:

This one is in the back of my mind.

Pro's:
Size
Price
digitizer and stylus
Software support and newer

Cons:
Screen Resolution

I have done some research and have realized that these are my only options for Samsung products with a stylus, and it doesn't seem like anything is coming out soon.

Keep in mind it will mainly be used for school stuff, only light internet browsing. I may take it out of town with me when I go travelling. I have a laptop for everything else.

What do you guys think I should get? do you have any of these? do you like it?
Advertisement
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
nabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Honestly for me nothing beats taking notes with a paper and pen. Maybe times have change but I think you will found yourself going back to using paper and pen for tanking notes.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:37 PM   #3
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

I don't think so. I'm in my second degree right now, and the paper stacks so high its crazy. I'm so so so done with paper. and flipping through the shit.

Even so, if I buy used I can try it out and then resell it if I don't like it. I seriously hate paper and lugging it around everywhere right now though. It would be so much easier just carrying the tablet around and not worrying about anything else.
[03-07, 03:26] Yodamaster - The feeling when you quickly insert without hitting the sides
Old 07-21-2015, 09:29 PM   #4
Banned By Establishment

Thanked 2,110 Times in 602 Posts
buy used, samsung tablets are pretty easy to fix and ebay etc. has tons of parts , nvidia tablet also has a stylus but i haven't used one personally so couldn't provide any review but at one point i did consider getting the nvidia one only for gaming lol
mk1freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Got MOD?

Why don't you look at the MS Surface 3? It's around the same price as the Note12, has great battery life, a nice stylus/digitizer for $49 as well it runs all Windows software. You can also add a keyboard later if you so desire.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:40 AM   #6
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
one manager in the office has either a 10 or 12 and likes it. he's been using it for years and it's still good for him. i was at costco checking out the tab A and the size seems good for portability.

i don't have any but if i get a tablet i'd consider the A based on size/cost. i heard the processor is about as fast as the note 8 which would suck since that is a 2-3 year old tablet. not sure if that's true though.

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 10:21 AM   #7
MOD MOD MOD MOD MOD

I found a tab a 9.7 for cheap. What do I have to be careful of when buying these tablets used? They said it is new. Just opened box.
Old 07-23-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
Banned By Establishment

make sure it turns on, go into settings and scroll to the bottom and find "About Tablet" check the info in there. also go into security section and look under "Device Administrators" in case they installed a hidden "findmyphone" type of app. and use it to get your info etc.
Old 07-23-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
I told him no, what y'all do?

Thanked 5,812 Times in 2,501 Posts
can't you just check to ensure wifi connects and browse, and then check speakers and screen display and then do a reset to default settings to clear any 'findmyphone' stuff for stolen info? never done it before but i'm curious

Quote:
Greenstoner
1 rat shit ruins the whole congee
originalhypa
You cannot live the life of a whore and expect a monument to your chastity
Quote:
[22-12, 08:51]mellomandidnt think and went in straight..scrapped like a bitch
[17-09, 12:07]FastAnna glowjob
[17-09, 12:08]FastAnna I like dat

GLOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:48 PM   #10
Banned By Establishment

i use ceberus and if its any indicator of other findmyphone apps, it will still be on the phone after a default settings reset.
the only i can think of it not staying is if a new rom is loaded. or as i said through removal in device administrators section.
i also check the wifi if its working and if no wifi is available open a hotspot on your phone to do the test.