REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:01 PM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
American Trophy Hunter Kills Famous Park Lion

What a piece of shit, I hope he gets thrown in a Zimbabwe prison.

U.S. dentist wanted for killing Cecil the lion - CNN.com

Quote:
(CNN)An American man is being sought in connection with a case that has drawn international attention -- the killing of Cecil the lion -- Zimbabwean officials said Tuesday.

The man suspected in Cecil's death is Walter James Palmer of Eden Prairie, Minnesota, according to Johnny Rodrigues, head of the Zimbabwe Conservation Task Force.

Cecil, who was 13, was a prized lion in Zimbabwe's Hwange National Park, where visitors reportedly sighted him frequently. A video of the animal, regal, indifferent and sleepy-eyed, has been widely disseminated.

He was a participant in a study that Oxford University in Britain was conducting, and he had been outfitted with a GPS collar.

A police official in Zimbabwe said that two Zimbabweans had been arrested in the case and that police were looking for Palmer.

Walter James Palmer, a U.S. hunter wanted for killing Cecil the lion, seen posing (on the left) with a dead ram.
Walter James Palmer, a U.S. hunter wanted for killing Cecil the lion, seen posing (on the left) with a dead ram.
An alleged $50,000 payment
The Zimbabweans, Honest Trymore Ndlovu and Theo Bronchorst, were due in court Wednesday, according to a statement from the Zimbabwe Parks and Wildlife Management Authority and Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe. Bronchorst is a professional hunter, the statement said.

Rodrigues said Palmer was an American and gave his passport number and street address, but police were more vague. Charity Charamba, a Zimbabwe police spokeswoman, said police were seeking Palmer, "who might be an American or a Spaniard."

The allegation is that the lion was killed illegally, Charamba said.

In a statement Tuesday, Palmer, who runs a dental practice, said he hired professional guides who secured proper permits.

"To my knowledge, everything about this trip was legal and properly handled and conducted," he said in the statement.

"I had no idea that the lion I took was a known, local favorite, was collared and part of a study until the end of the hunt. I relied on the expertise of my local professional guides to ensure a legal hunt."

He said no authorities in Zimbabwe or the United States had contacted him but he would assist them in any inquiries.

The hunter concluded: "Again, I deeply regret that my pursuit of an activity I love and practice responsibly and legally resulted in the taking of this lion."

Palmer posing (on right) with dead Black Tailed deer. Palmer said he 'deeply' regrets killing Cecil the lion, and thought the hunt was legal.
Palmer posing (on right) with dead Black Tailed deer. Palmer said he 'deeply' regrets killing Cecil the lion, and thought the hunt was legal.
Rodrigues said that Palmer "apparently paid $50,000 for the kill and we assume Theo Bronchorst received this money."

The incident may not be the first time Palmer has run afoul of the law while hunting.

A man by the same name and age, and from the same town, illegally killed a black bear in Wisconsin several years ago, according to court documents. That individual pleaded guilty to making a false statement

He knowingly made false statements to the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, and was sentenced to one year on probation and ordered to pay a fine of nearly $3,000, records show.

Attempts to contact Palmer's lawyer Tuesday about the 2006 case were unsuccessful. Jon Austin, a spokesman for Palmer, said he is aware of reports on the bear case, but had no information.

Wounded, then tracked for another 40 hours
Cecil's death was cruel, in Rodrigues' account.

On July 6, Rodrigues said, Bronchorst took Palmer to Hwange National Park.

"They went hunting at night with a spotlight, and they spotted Cecil," Rodrigues said. "They tied a dead animal to their vehicle to lure Cecil out of the park, and they scented an area about half a kilometer from the park," or about 550 yards.

Rodrigues said Palmer shot Cecil with an arrow but failed to kill him. Then the two men tracked Cecil, finding him about 40 hours later and shooting him to death with a gun, Rodrigues said.

They discovered that he had been fitted with a GPS collar and tried to destroy it, Rodrigues said.

Cecil was skinned and beheaded, Rodrigues said. Contrary to earlier reports, he said, the head has not been found.

"The saddest part of all is that, now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy, Jericho will most likely kill all Cecil's cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females," Rodrigues said. "This is standard procedure for lions."

Conservation concerns
An animal protection group said Cecil's death was sad "not only from an animal welfare perspective, but also for conservation reasons."

African lion populations have fallen almost 60% over the past three decades, and as few as 32,000 of them remain in the wild, the International Fund for Animal Welfare said.

"As troubling as it is, the rarer these trophy hunted animals become, the more hunters are willing to pay to kill them -- like the American hunter who recently paid $350,000 to kill a critically endangered black rhino in Namibia," said Jeff Flocken, the fund's North American regional director.
Advertisement
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2015, 09:24 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Why do you care so much what other people do with their lives?

Whether it is collecting minions or lion pelts, how does this affect your life at all?

It doesn't. Stop complaining.*

*Devil's advocate
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,380 Times in 3,462 Posts
That guys life is headed for a big world of hurt.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 PM   #4
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Why do you care so much what other people do with their lives?

Whether it is collecting minions or lion pelts, how does this affect your life at all?

It doesn't. Stop complaining.*

*Devil's advocate
Why do you care so much about what he posts on RS?

Whether it is buying cars left and right that one would dream about owning to stories regarding a Trophy hunter killing famous park lion , how does it affect your life at all?

It does not , stop caring so much and fuck more whores.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:23 PM   #5
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,359 Times in 5,072 Posts
Understanding of facetious statements is strong in the whiteknight604
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:37 PM   #6
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,806 Times in 8,185 Posts
RS has turned into the public shaming forum

Though I suppose you could say that about the entire internet
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-28-2015, 10:41 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

speaking of public shaming,

Viral video of man screaming at woman for opening car door for dog taken down - NEWS 1130

Quote:
“Hey everyone, so I was recently informed that the man in the video has a mental disorder and isn’t in the best situation already without the shaming as a result of the video I’ve posted so I have privated it.As important as it is to make sure you don’t leave dogs or any other pets or toddlers in hot cars, it’s also important to think about what you do on social media and how it affects others and I didn’t think about the latter half carefully enough. I know it’s too late and that too much damage has been done already, but please try to understand the man’s situation and avoid shaming him further.
As much as the guy was mean and rude, please, just remember that the safety of the animal is what should have been the main concern and I would appreciate it if further degrading comments about the man stop.
There is another side to any story and I encourage all of you to think about that as well.”
sometimes people have a bad day. but with current technology, that one bad moment can ruin a persons life forever.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:44 PM   #8
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Quote:
The six cubs of Cecil will now be killed by the new male lion in the pride, Johnny Rodrigues added, in order to encourage the lionesses to mate with him. "That's how it works... it's in the wild. It's nature taking its course," he added.

About a century ago there were around 200,000 lions roaming across Africa but that figure has dropped to less than 30,000 in recent years.
Fuck
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 12:41 AM   #9
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Jimmy Kimmel did a great speech about this today. It was hard to see him choke up at the end and almost cry.

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 01:14 AM   #10
Banned (ABWS)

Why are you people trying to tell other people how to live?

Shooting a lion in Africa has ABSOLUTELY NO EFFECT on your life.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:04 AM   #11
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,539 Times in 1,502 Posts
hahaha...

too bad... so sad... (i kinda mean it).

but why i'm laughing?

Quote:
"now that Cecil is dead, the next lion in the hierarchy, Jericho will most likely kill all Cecil's cubs so that he can insert his own bloodline into the females,"
we go out to defend a creature, from being hunted and killed... when that creature itself will kill all of it's next of kin's children and fuck all their wives so that only his own genes can be passed on.

who's defending the poor cubs from the killer dad? someone think of the cubs!!!

then he's gonna rape the females!!! and "INSERT" his bloodline!!!

fuck, i should go kill someone's kids and "INSERT" my bloodline into them, maybe i'll get some people to defend me from being killed too.

oh wait wait... i'm not an animal... i'd go to prison for that... but wait, doesn't a lion understand what it's doing? otherwise... it wouldn't be so strategically and logically eliminating an entire bloodline so that he may come out on top... why can't i do that... AND have a posse?

if i had a magic wand and turned that lion into a human, he'd immediately be socially shamed and prosecuted and executed for murder of multiple infants and multiple accounts of rape lol.

the whole thing is like circque du insanity. what a circus, what a buncha clowns running everywhere. chaotic.

Last edited by Ulic Qel-Droma; 07-29-2015 at 02:22 AM.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 02:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulic Qel-Droma View Post
hahaha...

too bad... so sad... (i kinda mean it).

but why i'm laughing?

we go out to defend a creature, from being hunted and killed... when that creature itself will kill all of it's next of kin's children and fuck all their wives so that only his own genes can be passed on.

who's defending the poor cubs from the killer dad? someone think of the cubs!!!

then he's gonna rape the females!!! and "INSERT" his bloodline!!!

fuck, i should go kill someone's kids and "INSERT" my bloodline into them, maybe i'll get some people to defend me from being killed too.

oh wait wait... i'm not an animal... i'd go to prison for that... but wait, doesn't a lion understand what it's doing? otherwise... it wouldn't be so strategically and logically eliminating an entire bloodline so that he may come out on top... why can't i do that... AND have a posse?

if i had a magic wand and turned that lion into a human, he'd immediately be socially shamed and prosecuted and executed for murder for multiple infants. lol.

the whole thing is like circque du insanity. what a circus, what a buncha clowns running everywhere. chaotic.
Old 07-29-2015, 02:57 AM   #13
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Some people really missed the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 03:21 AM   #14
Banned (ABWS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
Some people really missed the point.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
I'll never understand trophy hunting, but for those who do you could at least do it humanely. Shooting something with a bow and arrow and then stalking it for 2 days doesn't sound like the best way to go about it.
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #16
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
"interesting" replies lol...

I certainly don't lose any sleep over the fact that Cecil is dead, and no it does not really affect my life. But, if every Cecil on earth gets shot by some hillbilly dentist with a small cock it will eventually affect my life.

On a personal note, a few years back a business acquaintance of mine went cougar hunting, it went like this;
- Drive out to the cougar hole with a truck and a couple dogs
- Dogs track cougar
- Dogs annoy cougar
- Cougar climbs tree
- Hero hunter shoots cougar with a bow from like 20 feet away
- Cougar falls out of tree and dies
- Hero posts pics on FB holding dead cougar so proud of himself
- Stuffs cougar and puts it in his office

Douche.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
"interesting" replies lol...

I certainly don't lose any sleep over the fact that Cecil is dead, and no it does not really affect my life. But, if every Cecil on earth gets shot by some hillbilly dentist with a small cock it will eventually affect my life.

On a personal note, a few years back a business acquaintance of mine went cougar hunting, it went like this;
- Drive out to the cougar hole with a truck and a couple dogs
- Dogs track cougar
- Dogs annoy cougar
- Cougar climbs tree
- Hero hunter shoots cougar with a bow from like 20 feet away
- Cougar falls out of tree and dies
- Hero posts pics on FB holding dead cougar so proud of himself
- Stuffs cougar and puts it in his office

Douche.
I'm not a fan of game hunting but... uh that's how you hunt cougars... It must be awesome to do it. But yeah for me if you're not going to eat the animal or use it for anything other than a trophy (such as culling, which is sometimes necessary), fuck you.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:08 AM   #18

Thanked 3,235 Times in 1,221 Posts
It seems like a very odd hobby, to be like "look at that beautiful animal, you know what would make it look better though? If I shot it from a safe distance and then took a picture of myself next to its dead carcass like I just wrestled it to death with my bare hands"
MarkyMark is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:24 AM   #19
My homepage has been set to RS

imo the poacher should serve 5-10 hard years of community service at Zimbabwe's Hwange National Park
4doorVIP is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 08:25 AM   #20

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Hunting animals should only be for food. That's it. Trophy hunting? That just sounds stupid. If you want to increase the size of your penis or self worth please choose a safer route.

The only time game hunting should be allowed if it's other humans. Sign me up for that shit!!
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:04 AM   #21
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,366 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
What a piece of shit, I hope he gets thrown in a Zimbabwe prison.
Right, because now that he's safely back in the states he's going to feel bad and go back to Zimbabwe to serve out a sentence in a Zimbabwe prison.

Oh and I highly doubt Zimbabwe will even prosecute him seeing as they probably extracted 10s of thousands of dollars from him in permits and other "fees".

This is Robert Mugabe's rabidly anti-white Zimbabwe BTW...

Why the fuck is all the blame on the Dentist when it was pretty likely it was the local guides that singled out the lion and lured it out of the Reserve to be shot. Why is no one placing any blame on the Zimbabwean guides?

Zimbabwe!

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:40 AM   #22
I'll never be Diggy, no matter how hard I try

Thanked 2,111 Times in 633 Posts
ulic, i dont think comparing the natural circle of life in the animal kingdom justifies hunting?
trollguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:46 AM   #23
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Hunting animals should only be for food. That's it. Trophy hunting? That just sounds stupid. If you want to increase the size of your penis or self worth please choose a safer route.
I'm proud to live in such a great country that I can worry about things like African trophy hunting, rather than fighting starvation, or cancer of the prick.

Trollguy, as crazy as this sounds, Ulic made a good point. The new Lion is going to kill the old Lion's cubs. Seriously? We're up in arms about a human killing a single lion, while the new cat is going to kill multiple lions? Some humans are dicks. But when instinct kicks in, all animals are capable of brutality.

The truth is that nature is a bitch. It really is.
When we used to farm Peacocks, I witnessed first hand the violence of animals. Hens picking away at the eyes of chicks, in order to give their chicks better access to the food. Male Peacocks beating the hell out of a peahen because she was sitting on another hen's eggs. Systematic destruction of eggs by males, because the other male may have fertilized the egg.

I've seen coyotes tear a sheep in half, take the intestines, and leave the rest. I've seen the aftermath of a cougar killing a calf, then dragging it into a tree. I know kids who raised lambs in 4H, only to sell them at auction to the highest bidder. And these lambs aren't going to the circus.

Nature is fucked up. There is a reason why we call a deranged killer an "animal". Have you ever seen a cat hunt a bird? Those fuckers kill for sport!
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:52 AM   #24

oh i understand his point and why hes saying it, but i think why everyone is upset is because of the status of the lion. if the lion wasnt such a celebrity and considered protected, nobody would care.... well less people would care.

i suppose i should have worded my response (in fear of a tl;dr from ulic ) that does the circle of life in the animal kingdom justify this particular kill (with all the politics behind said animal)
This post thanked by:
Old 07-29-2015, 09:57 AM   #25

and wait, you farmed peacocks??? did i know this??? lol