REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: It's Election Day!
Liberal 226 57.65%
NDP 57 14.54%
Green 7 1.79%
Conservative 66 16.84%
Other to support fringe beliefs 2 0.51%
Spoiled/Throwaway ballot 3 0.77%
Didn't Vote (BOO) 18 4.59%
Couldn't Vote for a Legit Reason 13 3.32%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #451
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,157 Times in 954 Posts
Advanced voted at 3633 Tanner (Graham Bruce Elementary). Pretty short wait right now - about 10 mins.
Advertisement
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #452
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR_BIGGS View Post
This is an interesting election. My dad, who has historically voted NDP both provincially and federally as well as municipally (based on their policies and positions), will be casting a vote as he perceives "strategically" on Monday. That vote will be for the Liberals.

He thinks the Liberal party has the best chance to take power and dethrone the Conservatives.

I kind of agree with that notion as well. I normally like to pick something that is tried and true, but I think change can be good also. While Trudeau does not have the political experience, he represents something new and fresh. Time will tell if he does win how effective his government will be if they win, but I'm willing to take that risk.
This is one of the things that really scares me about the whole #StopHarper campaign and people getting out to vote who are more interested in voting AGAINST someone than FOR someone.

Sure the Liberals probably have a better OVERALL chance than the NDP... but what about in your dad's riding specifically? If the NDP is running a stronger candidate there than the Liberals, or the NDP has a stronger base, then his vote is essentially useless toward his goal.

Extrapolating this, assuming this was a solid Conservative riding before and a number of people who would previously vote Conservative IN THAT RIDING, vote Liberal instead, because they have the stronger chance nationally... but the hardcore NDP supporters still vote NDP as well. You could then end up with less separation between the losing NDP and Liberal candidates, or may a reverse in who comes second, while still ending up with a winning Conservative MP... and thus one more seat for Harper in Parliament, one closer to keeping them in power.

To be clear, I'm not overly impressed with Harper and a lot of his policies, but I'm not rabidly anti-Harper like most of my Facebook feed. If anything I probably lean more toward the Liberals this time around. I'd be just as happy seeing Harper out of the PM's chair, if for no other reason to shut up all the whiners who base their whining more on fearmongering, conspiracy theories, and a general misunderstanding of how our system of government works.

I'd much rather see people understand how it works and vote FOR an appropriate local candidate... not AGAINST a party leader, which is something they don't get to directly vote for in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #453
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
It is shaping up to be an interesting election for sure. I was reading the newspaper this morning, and both Trudeau and Mulcair have indicated that their parties would be unwilling to prop up a Harper minority government if the Cons take the most seats.

It'll be interesting to see how things play out.

Last edited by Traum; 10-12-2015 at 03:19 PM.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 03:29 PM   #454
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,357 Times in 3,446 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
This is one of the things that really scares me about the whole #StopHarper campaign and people getting out to vote who are more interested in voting AGAINST someone than FOR someone.

Sure the Liberals probably have a better OVERALL chance than the NDP... but what about in your dad's riding specifically? If the NDP is running a stronger candidate there than the Liberals, or the NDP has a stronger base, then his vote is essentially useless toward his goal.
Thats why you check the polls in your riding and use a site like votettogether.ca . I'm a Liberal supporter but the libs are in 4th place in my ridding so I voted NDP.
Old 10-12-2015, 04:56 PM   #455
HELP ME PLS!!!

To the people who are in the #abc campaign, and using strategic voting -- do you guys actually know what you are voting for, in changing ideologies to another party?

for example manic, do you realize that the ndp support something called the Sherbrooke Declaration, which essentially goes against the supreme court, in the fact that they would allow a simple majority in Quebec alone to separate?

Or do ndp supporters realized that the liberals have quite a few shared ideals as the conservatives?

I'm just wondering if the majority of people have actually looked into the other parties, or have just taken facebook posts to be their guiding principle?

As I said before, I have no issues with people voting to oust someone, but I have known people to not know who they were voting for, and then bitched when they did something that was clearly stated in their platform.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 04:57 PM   #456
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Someone else joined me in the Green vote
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #457
HELP ME PLS!!!

Should I be voting for the person in my riding, or the party's ideals?

Sometimes, I find that just because a person is in a certain party, the MP is the reflection of the community and its interests in the house of commons. Not so much what the party promises.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:15 PM   #458
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,238 Times in 5,599 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
To the people who are in the #abc campaign, and using strategic voting -- do you guys actually know what you are voting for, in changing ideologies to another party?

for example manic, do you realize that the ndp support something called the Sherbrooke Declaration, which essentially goes against the supreme court, in the fact that they would allow a simple majority in Quebec alone to separate?

Or do ndp supporters realized that the liberals have quite a few shared ideals as the conservatives?

I'm just wondering if the majority of people have actually looked into the other parties, or have just taken facebook posts to be their guiding principle?

As I said before, I have no issues with people voting to oust someone, but I have known people to not know who they were voting for, and then bitched when they did something that was clearly stated in their platform.
no one i've talked to who is using that site has even read up on the candidate they are voting for. They only know the party which they put a check beside when they go in, thats it.
Old 10-12-2015, 06:58 PM   #459
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,576 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DragonChi View Post
Should I be voting for the person in my riding, or the party's ideals?

Sometimes, I find that just because a person is in a certain party, the MP is the reflection of the community and its interests in the house of commons. Not so much what the party promises.
Thats the shitty part of our voting process.. In this case I would vote for the party leader that suits your beliefs since this is one of the most important elections in recent years
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #460

Quote:

Voting liberal in my riding would be a waste because he is so far back in the bolls in my riding. NDP are first and the Cons are second. Having actually talked to the con candidate and see current MP who was a member of the con party until he left the party because Christians where being prosecuted I cannot let the con win. Also voting NDP in my riding would actually help the liberals because that would be one less seat for the cons. Also if the election is close between the Libs and Cons some NDP MP's would support the LIbs and maybe even switch parties.

Check this out an 11 year old in Calgary interviews her local candidates for her you tube channel. 3 do the interview. One backs out. Guess what party they are from? An MP is a public servant, so to serve the public. Talking to the public is a key part of that. Looks like some parties don't understand that.

Calgary Centre candidates grilled by 11-year-old for school project - Calgary - CBC News

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
no one i've talked to who is using that site has even read up on the candidate they are voting for. They only know the party which they put a check beside when they go in, thats it.
You think people are actually voting for Con Nina grewal or are they voting for harper.

Last edited by Manic!; 10-12-2015 at 07:06 PM.
Manic! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #461
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post

Extrapolating this, assuming this was a solid Conservative riding before and a number of people who would previously vote Conservative IN THAT RIDING, vote Liberal instead, because they have the stronger chance nationally... but the hardcore NDP supporters still vote NDP as well. You could then end up with less separation between the losing NDP and Liberal candidates, or may a reverse in who comes second, while still ending up with a winning Conservative MP... and thus one more seat for Harper in Parliament, one closer to keeping them in power.

To be clear, I'm not overly impressed with Harper and a lot of his policies, but I'm not rabidly anti-Harper like most of my Facebook feed. If anything I probably lean more toward the Liberals this time around. I'd be just as happy seeing Harper out of the PM's chair, if for no other reason to shut up all the whiners who base their whining more on fearmongering, conspiracy theories, and a general misunderstanding of how our system of government works.

I'd much rather see people understand how it works and vote FOR an appropriate local candidate... not AGAINST a party leader, which is something they don't get to directly vote for in the first place.
The current MP (Stewart Kennedy with NDP) is running in a different riding due to the changes in the boundaries.

There is a new Liberal and NDP candidate in our riding and both are pretty good based on the debates we have seen. That said, this has historically been a NDP riding. My dad is definitely not voting blindly, he is well versed in the policies and ideologies of each party. I could see him sticking to the NDP come voting day also.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:16 PM   #462
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Quote:

It's no more an issue than people on the right only having one party to vote for. Fiscally conservative voters have to get in be with religious nut jobs. No party is going to line up perqfectly with each voter's ideals. It's a system of compromise.
Old 10-12-2015, 07:21 PM   #463
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,576 Times in 4,294 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Voting liberal in my riding would be a waste because he is so far back in the bolls in my riding. NDP are first and the Cons are second. Having actually talked to the con candidate and see current MP who was a member of the con party until he left the party because Christians where being prosecuted I cannot let the con win. Also voting NDP in my riding would actually help the liberals because that would be one less seat for the cons. Also if the election is close between the Libs and Cons some NDP MP's would support the LIbs and maybe even switch parties.

Check this out an 11 year old in Calgary interviews her local candidates for her you tube channel. 3 do the interview. One backs out. Guess what party they are from? An MP is a public servant, so to serve the public. Talking to the public is a key part of that. Looks like some parties don't understand that.

Calgary Centre candidates grilled by 11-year-old for school project - Calgary - CBC News

You think people are actually voting for Con Nina grewal or are they voting for harper.

Nina Grewal is in my riding and I so hope she doesn't get voted back in, my dad and sister voted NDP and I voted Liberal cause I couldn't suck it up and vote NDP as well
murd0c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 07:35 PM   #464
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Having actually talked to the con candidate and see current MP who was a member of the con party until he left the party because Christians where being prosecuted I cannot let the con win.
Complete deviation from this thread's topic, but this is one thing that I don't understand. Of course you see it more down south, but it's starting to pop up here in Canada now as well.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 08:48 PM   #465
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Complete deviation from this thread's topic, but this is one thing that I don't understand. Of course you see it more down south, but it's starting to pop up here in Canada now as well.

thats what happens when we get a flood of american immigrants and the cons given a green light in the government to do whatever they want
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:25 PM   #466
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
As a centre-left social liberal I would be thrilled if Trudeau ended up like Obama. Obama ain't perfect but his ability to work within a dysfunctional political system to get health care passed, to restart the economy and find a tenable place for the US in the world is going to be something historians will talk about in positive terms for a long time. He's found the balance between short term and long term thinking - health care will pay off for Americans for a long time and tilt the tables towards the Democrats over the years.
When Obama did not did not push through with his promises from his '08 campaign, it's when I realized (in the US anyways), that whoever is in power, special interests groups have a strong say in Government Policy.

Aside from Universal Health Care, most of his administration's decisions were GW Bush-like (E.g. Having the Same Fed Chair that Bush had, ongoing strong military presence in the middle east, pushing money - multiple QEs - to Wall Street that would primarily benefit Banks but not the middle class.). Again, this opposed his promises in his '08 campaign.

It just seemed that he was giving in too much to the GOP. He did not have strong enough leadership to unite the GOP and Dems in the Houses. Perhaps, this is because he was a young Junior Senator beforehand. Thus, I am equating his inexperience to that of Trudeau. Will Trudeau be able to execute his vision if he wins ?
Old 10-12-2015, 11:57 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by will068 View Post
When Obama did not did not push through with his promises from his '08 campaign, it's when I realized (in the US anyways), that whoever is in power, special interests groups have a strong say in Government Policy.

Aside from Universal Health Care, most of his administration's decisions were GW Bush-like (E.g. Having the Same Fed Chair that Bush had, ongoing strong military presence in the middle east, pushing money - multiple QEs - to Wall Street that would primarily benefit Banks but not the middle class.). Again, this opposed his promises in his '08 campaign.

It just seemed that he was giving in too much to the GOP. He did not have strong enough leadership to unite the GOP and Dems in the Houses. Perhaps, this is because he was a young Junior Senator beforehand. Thus, I am equating his inexperience to that of Trudeau. Will Trudeau be able to execute his vision if he wins ?
In the US the house and senate are now both controlled by republicans. Any law has to pass threw both houses before the president can sign it. In Canada if you are prime minister you have the most MP's that means it's way easier to push threw laws. If you have a majority you can push threw any law as long as the members in your party follow you.
Old 10-13-2015, 12:04 AM   #468
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

For some reason I was trippin this morning and thought it was the election day. Went to my assigned location at 11:50 to find out election is next week. Luckily advanced voting starts at 12 so I gladly waited the 10 mins to cast my ballot.
zetazeta is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 AM   #469
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
Long-term expats don't have right to vote in federal elections, court rules - Politics - CBC News

This rule was was found to violate the charter, that ruling was overturned this year...
dont know how i missed that, thought it was still being argued
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 12:33 AM   #470

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
dont know how i missed that, thought it was still being argued
Still has to go threw the Supreme court. Will not be deiced until after the election. But hey Skinnypup could still run for office in any riding he chose.
Old 10-13-2015, 01:59 AM   #471
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,777 Times in 8,170 Posts
It's really a stupid law, and I can't believe it is taking so long to argue about it. It's not like it's the 70's where if you leave the country, you have no idea what is going on there until someone comes and tells you, or get newspapers sent to you
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #472
degenerate extraordinaire

Quote:
In the US the house and senate are now both controlled by republicans. Any law has to pass threw both houses before the president can sign it. In Canada if you are prime minister you have the most MP's that means it's way easier to push threw laws. If you have a majority you can push threw any law as long as the members in your party follow you.
Quote:
Still has to go threw the Supreme court. Will not be deiced until after the election. But hey Skinnypup could still run for office in any riding he chose.
I am sorry to correct you on this, but the word is through.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 AM   #473
I don't get it

The most important issue to me is Bill C51. The NDP said they would repeal it so I'm going to vote for them. Of course who knows what they'd actually do if elected.

Elections are such a bullshit event, it's unbelievable. We have the internet now and we're still voting for parties and officials who are supposed to act on our behalf when time and time again they lie. Humans are untrustworthy and power hungry, especially when it comes to politics. Just to be part of the system you have to have a giant ego and want to implement your ideas on everyone. We need a revolution!

Every time I think of politics I get mad... Bill C51, The TPP, NSA spying, Snowden exiled, the Pope with his 2030 plan... My god we're living in a fucked up movie. Also, I hate how the Pope has any influence over anyone. People are so stupid. I mean, he's a creepy old dude who believes in fairy tales and wears a Halloween costume. What the fuck does he know about climate change!?

/rant
hotshot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 AM   #474
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,232 Times in 2,483 Posts
Dude,

I am not religious by any means, but especially with Pope Francis, I have nothing but utmost respect for him, and I trust that a lot of people share the same view. So please, do not speak ill of him in a general, abstract sense.
Traum is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-13-2015, 10:00 AM   #475
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,020 Times in 7,110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotshot1 View Post
Also, I hate how the Pope has any influence over anyone. People are so stupid. I mean, he's a creepy old dude who believes in fairy tales and wears a Halloween costume. What the fuck does he know about climate change!?

/rant
His views align with yours on climate change likely if you are voting NDP, so not sure why you are so mad.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote