REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

View Poll Results: It's Election Day!
Liberal 226 57.65%
NDP 57 14.54%
Green 7 1.79%
Conservative 66 16.84%
Other to support fringe beliefs 2 0.51%
Spoiled/Throwaway ballot 3 0.77%
Didn't Vote (BOO) 18 4.59%
Couldn't Vote for a Legit Reason 13 3.32%
Voters: 392. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-16-2015, 08:29 PM   #526
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
My Dad told me this story about a Liberal campaign staff calling him at his home number. FYI, the incumbent MP in his riding is Jenny Kwan.

Liberal staff: "Hello sir, this is a courtesy call to ask whether you decided to vote the Liberal party. Please vote for Edward Wong."

Dad: "Uh, we are still undecided.".

Liberal staff: "Can we count on your vote for Edward Wong on October 19th?"

Dad: Who?? Edward Wong? Who the heck is Edward Wong?!?!?"
. Dad tells the guy that he's busy, and hangs up the phone. My Dad is losing his hearing in his senior years now so he yells "Who the heck is Edward Wong????"

I guess Mom and Dad are not voting for the Liberals.
Advertisement
Old 10-16-2015, 09:02 PM   #527
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
What a stupid way to campaign. When has ANYONE reacted favourably to being telemarketed to?
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2015, 01:42 PM   #528
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,382 Times in 3,464 Posts
Viral letter to harper

Open Letter to Stephen Harper:

Dear Mr. Harper,

I live in BC with my husband and two little girls. I grew up in Calgary and have many friends and family members there. I’m white and in my early 40s. One of us is a stay at home parent, so we benefit 100% from the direct deposits in lieu of a National Childcare Program. We also benefit 100% from income splitting. And we can afford to take advantage of the increased allowance in our TFSAs.

In other words, we’re the picture of the family who benefits the most from your economic policies.

But we’re not voting Conservative on October 19th.

You see, you’ve misjudged us. We enjoy our standard of living, we work hard for it but it’s not the only thing that matters to us.

You assume we don’t care about our First Nations neighbours, or Canadians trying to bring their family members here from war torn countries. That we don’t care about less fortunate Canadians, our veterans, or scientists. You think we don’t mind that to save a few bucks and balance the books we axed the census, dumped decades of research from our libraries, cut funding to CBC, under-spent our budgets in important departments and closed coast guard stations. You figure we no longer want our lakes and rivers protected and that we don’t understand that climate change is a far greater risk to our way of life than Barbaric Cultural Practices.

You’ve underestimated us.

On October 19, we’re not voting for our bank balance. We’re voting for change because we want the caring Canada of our youth back. The Canada that supported our single mothers that gave us the opportunity to succeed in the first place.

Mary Cleaver

Vancouver woman's letter to Stephen Harper goes viral - NEWS 1130
Old 10-17-2015, 05:03 PM   #529
HELP ME PLS!!!

decently written op ed that gets her point across, so I went and looked her up and was kind of disappointed. her fb page clearly shows she is a standard sjw-anti-harper-everything fb/twitter/tumblr/social media whore.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #530
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
Viral letter to harper

Open Letter to Stephen Harper:

Dear Mr. Harper,

I live in BC with my husband and two little girls. I grew up in Calgary and have many friends and family members there. I’m white and in my early 40s. One of us is a stay at home parent, so we benefit 100% from the direct deposits in lieu of a National Childcare Program. We also benefit 100% from income splitting. And we can afford to take advantage of the increased allowance in our TFSAs.

In other words, we’re the picture of the family who benefits the most from your economic policies.

But we’re not voting Conservative on October 19th.

You see, you’ve misjudged us. We enjoy our standard of living, we work hard for it but it’s not the only thing that matters to us.

You assume we don’t care about our First Nations neighbours, or Canadians trying to bring their family members here from war torn countries. That we don’t care about less fortunate Canadians, our veterans, or scientists. You think we don’t mind that to save a few bucks and balance the books we axed the census, dumped decades of research from our libraries, cut funding to CBC, under-spent our budgets in important departments and closed coast guard stations. You figure we no longer want our lakes and rivers protected and that we don’t understand that climate change is a far greater risk to our way of life than Barbaric Cultural Practices.

You’ve underestimated us.

On October 19, we’re not voting for our bank balance. We’re voting for change because we want the caring Canada of our youth back. The Canada that supported our single mothers that gave us the opportunity to succeed in the first place.

Mary Cleaver

Vancouver woman's letter to Stephen Harper goes viral - NEWS 1130
Just like to mention you can still have say your family come just apply for super visa. Is good for 10 years. The only difference between the super visa and granting immigrations status is that with super visa they can't use benfits that only Canadian citizen gets. I don't see any issue with this why should we allow anyone to immigrate and use our benfits when they haven't pay a penny into our tax system. Super Visa allow family members to come and visit you anytime they like but they can't use any benfits.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2015, 06:42 PM   #531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Just like to mention you can still have say your family come just apply for super visa. Is good for 10 years. The only difference between the super visa and granting immigrations status is that with super visa they can't use benfits that only Canadian citizen gets. I don't see any issue with this why should we allow anyone to immigrate and use our benfits when they haven't pay a penny into our tax system. Super Visa allow family members to come and visit you anytime they like but they can't use any benfits.
You mean like people who move from Ontario to B.C. to retire?
Old 10-17-2015, 07:25 PM   #532
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 08:52 PM   #533
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,809 Times in 8,186 Posts
Conservatives bought front page ads across Canada, on presumably all PostMedia papers

Using Elections Canada's format, making it look somewhat official. On the front page, making it look extremely important. Of course we know better, but this kind of scare tactic marketing can be pretty effective with a certain type of person...
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2015, 09:39 PM   #534
HELP ME PLS!!!

quick question -- does anyone here read a physical newspaper anymore? Just wondering if anyone under the age of 70 still does or not.

I used to read them all the time, but I don't think I've picked one up in the past 5 years ...

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 10:21 PM   #535
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,488 Times in 1,687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carisear View Post
quick question -- does anyone here read a physical newspaper anymore? Just wondering if anyone under the age of 70 still does or not.

I used to read them all the time, but I don't think I've picked one up in the past 5 years ...

I only read the Metro newspaper if it has interesting articles.

Those Conservatives are using their scare tactics again in order to get people to vote for them.

Do they think Canadians are stupid?? Seriously? It's time for change!!
Old 10-17-2015, 10:29 PM   #536
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastarocket View Post
Do they think Canadians are stupid?? Seriously? It's time for change!!
I would hold that thought until after the election.................

"Harvey Belafonte ain't black. He's just a good looking white guy dipped in caramel. " - Archie Bunker
Bonka is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #537

Remember if a guy called Pierre Poutine calls you telling you your voting location has changed. Hang up and call 911.

Can't let the cons trick people again.
Old 10-17-2015, 11:26 PM   #538
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:

Do they think Canadians are stupid?? Seriously?
Thats the thing.....so many are.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2015, 01:59 AM   #539
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:19 AM   #540
I am Hook'd on RS

Quote:
My Dad told me this story about a Liberal campaign staff calling him at his home number. FYI, the incumbent MP in his riding is Jenny Kwan.

Liberal staff: "Hello sir, this is a courtesy call to ask whether you decided to vote the Liberal party. Please vote for Edward Wong."

Dad: "Uh, we are still undecided.".

Liberal staff: "Can we count on your vote for Edward Wong on October 19th?"

Dad: Who?? Edward Wong? Who the heck is Edward Wong?!?!?"
. Dad tells the guy that he's busy, and hangs up the phone. My Dad is losing his hearing in his senior years now so he yells "Who the heck is Edward Wong????"

I guess Mom and Dad are not voting for the Liberals.
Sounds like the Liberal staffer was having problems hearing. Your Dad already said he was undecided.
cocojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #541

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
How accurate is that chart? The idea of a federal minimum wage is something I'd expect from the Greens, but I'd expect a bit less stupidity from the NDP.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:37 AM   #542
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,179 Times in 354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
How accurate is that chart? The idea of a federal minimum wage is something I'd expect from the Greens, but I'd expect a bit less stupidity from the NDP.
The "Federal Minimum Wage" only applies to a certain subset of jobs that are regulated by the federal government IIRC
AstulzerRZD is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2015, 10:05 AM   #543

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Lol @ all the events harper is doing with Rob Ford.
People are literally willing to take voting advice from a fucking morbidly obese crackhead.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2015, 11:10 AM   #544
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,319 Times in 5,638 Posts
Raising tax rates to 33% for people making 200+ is fucked up. For the most part people within that bracket are probably amongst the hardest working/most stimulating of the Canadian work force.

And again, no definition for "the middle class" so is the middle class anyone under the 200 but above the 20k no tax bracket? :/
Old 10-18-2015, 11:18 AM   #545

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Raising tax rates to 33% for people making 200+ is fucked up. For the most part people within that bracket are probably amongst the hardest working/most stimulating of the Canadian work force.

And again, no definition for "the middle class" so is the middle class anyone under the 200 but above the 20k no tax bracket? :/
Quote:
Federal tax rates for 2015
15% on the first $44,701 of taxable income, +
22% on the next $44,700 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $44,701 up to $89,401), +
26% on the next $49,185 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $89,401 up to $138,586), +
29% of taxable income over $138,586.
Quote:
We will give middle class Canadians a tax break, by making taxes more fair.

When middle class Canadians have more money in their pockets to save, invest, and grow the economy, we all benefit.

We will cut the middle income tax bracket to 20.5 percent from 22 percent - a seven percent reduction. Canadians with taxable annual income between
$44,700 and $89,401 will see their income tax rate fall.

This tax relief is worth up to $670 per person, per year – or $1,340 for a two-income household.

To pay for this tax cut, we will ask the wealthiest one percent of Canadians to give a little more. We will introduce a new tax bracket of 33 percent for individuals earning more than $200,000 each year.
Quote:
Liberal federal tax rates for 2017
15% on the first $44,701 of taxable income, +
20.5% on the next $44,700 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $44,701 up to $89,401), +
26% on the next $49,185 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $89,401 up to $138,586), +
29% on the next $61,414 of taxable income (on the portion of taxable income over $138,586 up to $200,000), +
33% of taxable income over $200,000
Google Liberal platform. Doesn't sound like you've read it ... or know how the Canadian tax structure works now.

It's a tax break for anyone making between $45k and $217k.

Last edited by Jmac; 10-18-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #546
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonka View Post
I would hold that thought until after the election.................

Ditto.
George bush got elected twice. Never underestimated the stupidity of a general population.
cow20xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 01:35 PM   #547
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cow20xx View Post
Ditto.
George bush got elected twice. Never underestimated the stupidity of a general population.
To be fair, that's because of the electoral college.

Al Gore won the popular vote but because of the electoral college, lost the election.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:10 PM   #548

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
It was almost 50-50 regardless. Amazing that after the late-90s, when everything was going America's way, roughly half the voting population wanted to change directions.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 02:34 PM   #549
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,616 Times in 899 Posts
Don't forget those hanging chads in a key state run by the brother of one of the candidates.
Old 10-18-2015, 04:10 PM   #550
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Let's talk about Stephen, shall we?

- Tried to allegedly bribe a standing MP who was dying (Chuck Cadman) with a million dollar life insurance policy (Harper classified this as "replacing financial considerations lost during a possible election") to try to get Cadman to vote with the Conservatives (after they had turfed him out of the party previously, and Cadman was re-elected as an independent, by the way). Harper was cleared by the RCMP, but as this is noted on his Wikipedia page, it is noted here.

- Prorogued Parliament to avoid a no-confidence vote from other MP's, twice (2008 and 2010), with many saying that he did it to avoid democracy and the Afghan detainee inquiry.

- Appointed a number of sitting Senators who are now at the heart of the Senate spending scandal (Boisvenu, Duffy, Wallin, among others)

- Was found to be in contempt of Parliament in 2011

- Scrapped the long-gun Registry in its entirety, despite pleas for law enforcement for the data contained therein.

- Scrapped the long-form census in 2011, citing privacy reasons.

- The Robocall scandal that kept people in rural areas from exercising their right to vote.

- Gutted research funding and has silenced Canadian researchers about their research entirely (including to other media, other researchers, and to the public) by having them followed and threatened.

- Gutted environmental laws and policies and cut the budget at Environment Canada, especially being very vicious towards anything relating to climate change.

- Exercises a iron-fist like grip over the media and the existing Freedom of Information Act.

- Helped create, support, and enact numerous bills in parliament that have created not only a second-class citizenship (Bill C-24), but destroyed the very fabric of what makes Canada great (Bill C-51).

- Has not instructed the CBSA to stand down in the case of Jose Figueroa and countless other refugees who fled war-torn countries for a better life in Canada only to be denied and called terrorists when there is nothing in their history to indicate that they participated in activities of terrorism at all.

- In 2006, Harper violated the spending limit during the election.

- Turned a $16 billion surplus into a $56 billion dollar deficit under his leadership.

- Has cut funding for women's and minority groups by 40%, effectively keeping them from having a legal voice and also causing them to shut down 12 out of 16 offices.

- His Economic Action Plan has benefitted only the richest 1% in Canada.

- Weakened food regulations so that more residue from harmful chemicals can be left on your food.

- Fires whistleblowers for alerting the public about regulation changes or unsafe nuclear reactors.

- Lied about the actual cost of purchasing 65 stealth fighter jets in Parliament.

- Refused to sign the UN declaration of clean water as a Human Right.

- Did not cut $1.4 billion in tax breaks that he gave to oil companies, yet cut $1.2 billion from the establishment of National Childcare.

- Cancelled the Kelowna accord, meant to help First Nations peoples and improve their health and education with almost $5 billion in funding.

- Destroyed Canada's international reputation as peacekeepers, when it was made public that Afghan detainees were handed over most likely to be tortured.

- Wants to enact mass scale internet surveillance and has tried to do so (and been defeated) 4 times.

- Increases spending on prisons, and decreases funding for rehab programs.

- Renamed the Government of Canada to the Harper Government in 2010.

There are many more, but I think this is enough to show our soon to be former Prime Minister to the door.

The people of Canada will soon speak, Mr. Harper, and they will ultimately say that it's time for you to go.
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote