REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   TransLink introducing one-zone fare on buses (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704730-translink-introducing-one-zone-fare-buses.html)

Culverin 08-06-2015 10:48 AM

TransLink introducing one-zone fare on buses

Quote:

VANCOUVER (NEWS 1130) – Starting October 5th, there will be one-zone fare on all buses, all day, every day.

It’s part of the greater rollout of the beleaguered Compass Card program.

More to come
TransLink introducing one-zone fare on buses - NEWS 1130

This looks like it's on busses only, not SkyTrain.

yray 08-06-2015 10:50 AM

:lawl:

you gotta be fucking me

Tapioca 08-06-2015 10:57 AM

Makes sense given that you can't install tap-out barriers on buses. Also, faster travel with air conditioning (e.g. Skytrain) should command a higher cost.

This is long overdue and consistent with other transit systems in the world.

radioman 08-06-2015 11:08 AM

inb4 someone says they will take the bus now to save money even though its a longer commute.

Then someone says time is money and they'll gladly pay higher costs for faster commute.

Spoiler!

melloman 08-06-2015 12:34 PM

inb4 Translink makes announcement Compass Card will be abolished for a more up-to-date system. :troll:

pastarocket 08-06-2015 01:20 PM

This is TransLink's way of waving a white flag on the Compass Card. :lawl:

Jmac 08-06-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8668079)
This is TransLink's way of waving a white flag on the Compass Card. :lawl:

Wave the white flag? No, they'll get the government (read: taxpayers) to pour money into it.

604STIG 08-06-2015 01:29 PM

So what happens if you take the bus (and get a transfer) then need to take the train? You have to buy a new ticket or is the transfer still good? Sorry if stupid question but i'm not a frequent transit user.

Traum 08-06-2015 01:35 PM

It is the bandaid solution that TransLink should have turned to much earlier. And on a practical level, this is the best temporary solution they can use. Still, it isn't going to win them any friends even though bus riders are getting a cheaper deal. At this point, TransLink's name is already so tarnished that anything short of perfection is still going to earn them a lot of hate and contempt.

meme405 08-06-2015 01:50 PM

LOL.

I could only imagine if someone in the private sector utilized the translink method of operation.

"Yeah my multi-million dollar 10 Ton ore shovel stopped working, and I can't fix it, so I just gave the operator a pick axe and a hand shovel instead. Might slow down the process a bit, but whatever."

And then translink expects us to pay their CEO's and management as much as the private industry gets paid. Why the fuck would we when they suck a big fat dick.

Inb4 we have to pay them even more so they have incentive to do a good job.

syee 08-06-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Traum (Post 8668087)
It is the bandaid solution that TransLink should have turned to much earlier. And on a practical level, this is the best temporary solution they can use.

100% agree with this. It's a good band aid solution that doesn't involve them throwing millions more into solving this problem like they have done already. Might as well take the millions you would have spent on fixing the Compass card issue towards increasing service to handle the possible increase in demand.

To be honest, I think the only real benefactors will probably be riders who have to travel 1-2 stops past the zone boundaries. Anything more than that would probably end up taking more time than it's worth.

Alby 08-06-2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tapioca (Post 8668022)
Makes sense given that you can't install tap-out barriers on buses. Also, faster travel with air conditioning (e.g. Skytrain) should command a higher cost.

unsure what you mean by that. the compass machines located at the front and rear doors can be used to tap in and out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 604STIG (Post 8668085)
So what happens if you take the bus (and get a transfer) then need to take the train? You have to buy a new ticket or is the transfer still good? Sorry if stupid question but i'm not a frequent transit user.

if you are still within the zone, you shouldn't need to get a new ticket and the transfer you got is still good. zone rates still apply to the other modes. i would assume if you are going to switch over to skytrain and have to go into other zones than from where your transfer was issued, you would need to upgrade your fare.

from internal memo
Spoiler!

memo also states that it will eventually become a distance-based fare structure

Teriyaki 08-06-2015 03:53 PM

Quote:

You don't need a physical barrier. On a functional tap out system, the theory would be that you'd tap out so they can charge you only for the distance you travelled and not the entire route. This financial incentive would be the reason why people would tap out, not that the doors won't open.

tonyzoomzoom 08-06-2015 05:28 PM

Great. Now they've paid the contractor for a system that doesn't meet the original requirements (and prob even more $$ in trying to enhance the system to get it to work) AND we lose additional revenue in the process.

Translink FTW !

godwin 08-06-2015 05:47 PM

They installed it, however they didn't anticipate the low coverage of cell towers causing latency or failing to complete transaction at a lot of their stops.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alby (Post 8668117)
unsure what you mean by that. the compass machines located at the front and rear doors can be used to tap in and out.

ilovebacon 08-06-2015 06:00 PM

Transit should have wifi

blkgsr 08-06-2015 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teriyaki (Post 8668118)
You don't need a physical barrier. On a functional tap out system, the theory would be that you'd tap out so they can charge you only for the distance you travelled and not the entire route. This financial incentive would be the reason why people would tap out, not that the doors won't open.

exactly how it's done in Perth Australia on both buses and their metro system, works great. you forgot to tap on the way out and you get the charged the max for the day. so you better make sure you tap off.

yray 08-06-2015 07:55 PM

Why not board in the back and exit through the front. That way, no one will board and tap out to sit down.

Oh wait, its too dumb for us to do that. :derp:

godwin 08-06-2015 08:00 PM

Why? when personal data plan is much cheaper on the taxpayer's wallet!

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilovebacon (Post 8668158)
Transit should have wifi

godwin 08-06-2015 08:03 PM

I would say because of safety? so at least the bus driver can dissuade drunk or potentially disruptive people from boarding in the first place?

Once a disruptive person board the bus, the bus driver have to disrupt everyone else on the bus's life to get the person off the bus.

Or are you suggesting having 2 staff on every bus?

Quote:

Originally Posted by yray (Post 8668215)
Why not board in the back and exit through the front. That way, no one will board and tap out to sit down.

Oh wait, its too dumb for us to do that. :derp:

ImportPsycho 08-06-2015 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by radioman (Post 8668028)
inb4 someone says they will take the bus now to save money even though its a longer commute.

Checking how to bus from house near UBC to office in Richmond :accepted:

Gh0stRider 08-06-2015 09:30 PM

who actually pays for traveling through multiple zones?

godwin 08-06-2015 09:42 PM

Obviously not Gregor Robertson! :toot:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0stRider (Post 8668252)
who actually pays for traveling through multiple zones?

GoldenBoy 08-07-2015 12:58 AM

It's not going to make much of a difference. Those who say they're going to ride the buses even though it's a longer commute to save money will eventually be riding the skytrain again. There's no way I'll be taking a 2 hour bus ride when it only takes me 45 minutes by bus and skytrain just to save a couple of bucks!

4444 08-07-2015 02:07 AM

Quote:

really? all the systems i've used charge by station (exact distance, you might say) - now that is the best idea. initial fixed cost and a variable cost.

going 1 stop is the same price as going 30 - that makes sense?