REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-08-2015, 01:27 AM   #76
cho
sneaky beaky like

Thanked 4,512 Times in 638 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkster View Post
Seriously. Who the fuck cares about your car. Rider is a friend of mine he is a nice person and he is a mature rider . It's a freak accident that bike burst in flames and even rarer that the rider catches on fire. From the looks of the impact he couldn't have been going fast. Forks not bent to shit and back of your car isn't even dented. I hope he pulls thru.
strong first post
Advertisement
Old 08-08-2015, 01:51 AM   #77
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Thanked 1,536 Times in 427 Posts
Quote:
Seriously. Who the fuck cares about your car. Rider is a friend of mine he is a nice person and he is a mature rider . It's a freak accident that bike burst in flames and even rarer that the rider catches on fire. From the looks of the impact he couldn't have been going fast. Forks not bent to shit and back of your car isn't even dented. I hope he pulls thru.
Speedy recovery for your friend.

As shitty as it is for material goods to go, they can always be replaced. A life cannot.
SoNaRWaVe is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 02:52 AM   #78
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
so about the rider,this is a known defect with the bike???

that's so fucked up to happen,i really wonder if any lawsuits have being going on about it...Your Bike exploding on you??
Old 08-08-2015, 05:09 AM   #79
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cho View Post
strong first post
Heard about friends saying RSer making stupid speculations. So I came here and see more than half the people seems to worried more about a GTI than a human life.that really gets into me. I'm a car guy too and also a rider. I know it sucks losing your rides but it's safe to say that all our friends would rather lose our rides just to see our buddy pulls thru. This incident really keeping a lot of us sleepless
Funkster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 05:40 AM   #80
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,816 Times in 8,190 Posts
Quote:
Heard about friends saying RSer making stupid speculations. So I came here and see more than half the people seems to worried more about a GTI than a human life.that really gets into me. I'm a car guy too and also a rider. I know it sucks losing your rides but it's safe to say that all our friends would rather lose our rides just to see our buddy pulls thru. This incident really keeping a lot of us sleepless
In pretty much every single post on the first few pages of this thread, people are asking about the rider.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:52 AM   #81
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp View Post
In pretty much every single post on the first few pages of this thread, people are asking about the rider.
Well I'm sorry
Funkster is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 06:27 AM   #82
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
I've read this entire thread and I don't see a single post like you claim. Everyone has been genuinely concerned about your friend's well being and the only negative sounding posts have been yours.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:32 AM   #83
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Heard from a friend that the fellow rider is in ICU with 3rd degree burns.
From what I have heard, he is a well respected mature rider and the accident was an accident and he wasn't carrying a gas can in his lap.
There is even a chance he is a fellow RS member.
really?! wow wtf, i must have seen/heard wrong but i thought they showed the rider walking around with his shirt off, seemingly okay just shooken, i thought he was largely okay...wow, i hope he pulls through
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:46 AM   #84
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Hope the rider is ok. I have to speculate that his bike slid out well before the GTI and caught fire for some reason, with parts of the burning bike landing underneath the GTI. This could explain why the rider survived the crash as riders tend to survive slide outs and not crashing into stationary objects. It definitely seems like fuel was involved and fuel tanks don't tend to rupture, but his bike did split in two. Edit: saw a photo of the burnt bike intact.

Wishing the rider the fullest recovery possible. It's unfortunate he got burned in the process. I hate hearing of a fellow rider down. As for the GTI, they will give you asking value for a similar GTI, regardless of what you paid for it. ICBC has given me $2200 for a car I only paid $900 for.

Last edited by DKaz; 08-08-2015 at 07:05 AM.
DKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 AM   #85
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
So what exactly happened though? He was riding and suddenly the bike started burning? Or did he hit the back of the car? Guess he'll just have to be questioned after his recovery.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:34 AM   #86
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Seriously. Who the fuck cares about your car.
I'm guessing Ed does... just maybe....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 07:55 AM   #87
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

as a fellow vw owner i am genuinely sad for you and your car. 19k on a 2011? my buddy works at clarkdale so i see some random gems and such but that's pretty nuts.

heavy burns is a terrible thing to endure. hopefully that dude gets better.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:05 AM   #88
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,913 Times in 3,873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
I'm guessing Ed does... just maybe....

Exactly, I mean what happened to the rider is terrible, it really is, but Ed's car did burn to the ground through no fault of his own. Just because what happened to the rider is worse doesn't mean that what happened to the GTI no longer matters.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 08:06 AM   #89
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Sucks that the OP lost his car and is losing $$$ because of the incident as well. But cars can be replaced, and money can be made again. Human lives, however, are much more fragile, and burns are just about the worst kind of injuries a person can suffer from.

I don't personally know the rider, but I certainly know of him. I hope he makes a speedy recovery, and more important than that, I hope it'll be as minimally painful as possible.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:53 AM   #90
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagella View Post
So what exactly happened though? He was riding and suddenly the bike started burning? Or did he hit the back of the car? Guess he'll just have to be questioned after his recovery.
He probably slid out before the GTI. There is no collision damage on the GTI.

Sliding out is not rare, most motorcyclists will have slid out at least once. A fire of that intensity however is not.
DKaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:12 AM   #91
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Rider is a family man with a young child, a friend and fellow rider. Best wishes and speedy recovery. He's a car guy as well. I heard he's in pretty serious condition with 70% burns to body. Ed, sorry about your car. You will find a good replacement in time. Terrible freak of an accident. What a shame.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:29 AM   #92
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
Shxt... 70% burns to body... I did some googling just now, and the only credible stats I can find is ~50% survival rate for those with 80% burns.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:33 AM   #93
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post

Sliding out is not rare, most motorcyclists will have slid out at least once. A fire of that intensity however is not.
That makes the most sense actually. For a good chunk of time, I was trying to figure out how he could have crashed into the back of the GTi and have the bike land where it was.
Bike catching on fire and the rider laid the bike down in an effort to get off the burning bike makes perfect sense.

3rd degree burns to 70% of his body is very serious.
Hope the fellow rider pulls through.

I wonder if he was wearing leathers that day or just regular street clothing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:49 AM   #94
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
Quote:
Hey man, no one said we don't care about the rider but I know how these things get and I've been getting my info on the down low. I know his name, which hospital he's at and how he's doing.

As far as I know, the media doesn't have this yet and the last thing the family needs is people shoving mics in their face. I'm not family. I'm not law enforcement or a doctor. I'm just butting out and minding my own business until the dude is out of danger.

But c'mon...I thought a car community would get it. Yes, it isn't lost on me that my day could've been a lot worse but dude, my day yesterday sucked balls too. Just because it wasn't a 10 on the suck scale doesn't mean you would've want see something you love burn to the ground and then have to call a zillion robots to press one for English.

Also, a co-worker of mine sent me some dashcam footage. They were parked a couple cars ahead of the Halloween Pumpkin Scion special and although you can't see what happens that causes the impact, you do see a lot.

I will be taking it to the police on Monday. I will not be uploading this anywhere as I don't think the Internet needs to watch this but it does shed a little light on what happened. It's seriously scary to watch.

1. You hear VROOM...VROOM...sounds like a downshift. I don't know bikes too well but I hear VROOM VROOM just before the crash.

2. HARD impact on the back of my car. Bike bounces off my car, skids on the road to it's position in the middle of the road.

3. Fuel sprays everywhere. There isn't a fire before impact but there is visible liquid spray on impact.

4. A second after impact, liquid lights on fire. Especially near the bike, which is a massive fireball.

5. Rider was definitely on the bike on impact and was still on the bike when it slid to the middle of the road. Rider gets off his bike, on fire, runs into the bushes. Emerges from the bushes a few seconds later, still on fire, tosses helmet, starts stripping and jumps back into the bushes. Still on fire.

By now, other people are arriving and helping him out. I'm sure the family doesn't need this video out there. Only me and my friend have the video and I'll be calling the officer that gave me his card.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 09:50 AM   #95
...in the world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post

There was actually a big impact on my rear driver side bumper but it was the first spot to burn so it isn't immediately evident.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yray View Post
Just drove by and damm. Out of all the cars, why didn't he hit the pumpkin car in front.
There are a few nice cars on our block. There's a rally blue WRX, a gunmetal focus RS, a really nice clean white RSX...

...but then everyday stuff from SR and Fast Track rolls by...
This post thanked by:
Old 08-08-2015, 11:13 AM   #96
...in the world.

Related question: is stop, drop and roll effective in a situation where you're covered in burning fuel?

Or is that just something children of the 80s like me were told...like hiding under your desk during an earthquake or nuclear explosion...
Old 08-08-2015, 11:40 AM   #97
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 7,759 Times in 2,313 Posts
Quote:
Seriously dude? I'm sorry about your friend, but atleast read through the thread before you blindly make retarded assumptions.

There is 25 posts on each page of this 4.5 page thread, and just on the first page there is all these responses wishing the rider a quick recovery:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
what happened to the biker?
Quote:
Originally Posted by SumAznGuy View Post
Is the bike guy ok?
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405 View Post
Hope the biker is okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
yikes, hopefully the guy is okay.
Quote:
Originally Posted by white rocket View Post
Hope the biker recovers fully and you get paid out nicely for your car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlee View Post
I hope the rider gets a speedy recovery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dared3vil0 View Post
Wait the rider was seriously burnt? Assuming his bike landed like that and wasn't moved you have to wonder how he wasn't thrown clear of the flames... Unless he was on fire when he hit your car, which would explain how both caught on fire... I don't even...

RS Cares bro. So quit villainizing the community.

Barney Fucking Purple FX35
Brianna - 2008 FX35 - Build Thread
meme405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:50 PM   #98
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
Old 08-08-2015, 12:52 PM   #99
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
Related question: is stop, drop and roll effective in a situation where you're covered in burning fuel?

Or is that just something children of the 80s like me were told...like hiding under your desk during an earthquake or nuclear explosion...
They still teach Stop Drop and Roll today because it works. Fuel will not burn without oxygen.
Old 08-08-2015, 03:38 PM   #100
they call me the snowman

Thanked 3,993 Times in 1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme405
RS Cares bro. So quit villainizing the community.
Werd.
Just think, this guy had plans for the weekend, then shit happened. It goes to show, you never know what fate has in store for you.

I just hope he pulls through and becomes a stronger person after all this.
originalhypa is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: