REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > House and Home Renovations

House and Home Renovations THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Designing your new condo or townhouse? Renovating your kitchen? Share your photos and project ideas with other experts here! We're not just modifying our cars anymore..

Old 08-12-2015, 08:32 AM   #1
'

Thanked 6,557 Times in 1,111 Posts
Tenant won't sign new tenancy agreement.

The title of my current home has changed to my name and my mothers name after my father passed away. Lately he's been causing some problems and being unreasonable so we would like to re sign a new agreement as I believe it's required when the title of a home changes. my guess is that he's happy with the current freedom we allow him to have thus he is refusing to sign.

we want to resign and ultimately move out also because
- we want him to move out as he always has yelling matches with his girlfriend
- he smokes. not like he smokes in the house but the smell does drift into the house.
- we are renting to him for CHEAP. we used to rent to a family friend and my mom based the rental price off the previous price with a bit of premium. we also want to rent out the whole lower level as we never use downstairs.
- does a lot of unwanted things such as put his stuff in the garage, plants stuff outside

what are some things I can do right now and how can I improve my relationship with him? he texts me to go talk to him yet if I ask him to text me his issue or inquiry he refuses to as it's always an odd request and he never wants anything on paper.
Advertisement
Old 08-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #2
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Personally, from the way you are describing it, I wouldn't even bother re-signing another rental contract with him. You want him out soon anyway, so you might as well just review the terms of your current contract (You do have one, right? Please tell me you do.), and follow the allowed means to kick him out.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 11:00 AM   #3
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
If you don't want him, just give the necessary heads up (3 month?) if there is not current rental contract, then make him sign one. If he refuses, kick him out
Old 08-12-2015, 11:16 AM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Yes just wait till the lease is over. Also give him at least 3 months notice so he is fully aware after the lease you are not renting it out to him. Coz you know some can be asshole and like to dick around for a few months and cause nothing but trouble.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 12:50 PM   #5
'

for the three months notice, i thought if you want to kick them out you're not allowed to rent out for the next year?

am I missing something here? i don't think I can just "kick him out". I called RTO and they said there is only two ways to get him out. 1) not rent out for a full year. (if I'm caught I have to reimburse him). 2) do a full scale renovation after obtaining a city permit (reprinting and re flooring doesn't count.)

my problem is that I definitely NEED someone to rent. currently working two jobs and I want to go back to school. we thought about selling the house and moving into an apartment but it makes more sense to pay off the house as it holds value and we will lose too much from taxes if we sell.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:11 PM   #6

Like we said, if there is no current renting agreement signed and he refuses to sign a new one, he is no longer your tenant and can be evicted (though 3 months should apply still)
Old 08-12-2015, 01:19 PM   #7
'

thank you. I actually didn't know that.
Old 08-12-2015, 01:22 PM   #8

I don't remember the specifics of the RTA, but I agree with 320icar that if he refuses to sign a new contract, and you have given him the appropriate eviction notice (3 months?), I see no reasonable grounds on how he can possibly protest. The most important thing is, keep track of all your paper work, and date everything. Date the notice to have him sign the new contract, and be sure to include a term on how long that new rental agreement is (3 months? 6 months?). While you are at it, if you haven't increased his rent in the past 12 months, throw that maximum allowed amount in for good measure. By the RTA, as long as you keep the rent increase to that maximum allowed percentage, he cannot say no to the rent hike -- the only option he has is to move out.

In your official notice, also indicate to him that he must sign the new rental contract by a certain date. If he does not comply, tell him he is forfeiting his tenancy and will need to move out by a certain date (3 months?).

Again, date everything to protect yourself.

Gosh... I hate dealing with troublesome tenants...
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 02:28 PM   #9
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,147 Times in 387 Posts
Always make sure you do a fixed time tenancy with the option chosen that they move out at the end of the tenancy. If you don't, at the end of the term it can go month to month if they don't want to sign a new contract.

Has he been late paying rent repeatedly? If he's done it at least 3 times, you might be able to serve a 1 month notice.

Read up about your options here:
Landlord Notice to End Tenancy - Province of British Columbia
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 02:42 PM   #10
'

last year he was frequently late paying rent but lately he has been paying on time. the increased maximum amount we can add is $14 a month (2% iirc) I guess that's still something.

thank you for all the help guys. I've been calling the RTO a few times and the wait time is hella long and I've only gotten the information I posted above. will probably opt for a three month tenancy agreement. will keep this thread updated. thanks again.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #11

I thought the maximum rent increase was 40%
Old 08-12-2015, 03:13 PM   #12

As I understand it, the maximum allowable rent increase is determined based on some CPI, inflation, etc. stuff. I'm sure the RTA has some formula for it, but I just go to the provincial government website to look it up:

Rent Increases - Province of British Columbia

Quote:
Landlords can only increase the rent once a year by an amount permitted by law or an additional amount approved in advance by an arbitrator – they need to use the right form and give the tenant three full months’ notice of the rent increase.

The maximum allowable rent increase changes each year. The limits for residential tenancies and manufactured home park tenancies are different.

- For residential tenancies, the standard allowable rent increase for 2015 is 2.5%
So maybe you can get a $15 increase out of him, instead of just $14.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,748 Posts
Everyone here needs to back up here a second, where is everyone getting the idea that a new tenancy agreement must be signed?

From the RTB:

When a Tenanted Property Has Been Sold

Once a property is sold, the buyer becomes the new landlord and the tenancy continues under the same terms. The buyer and the tenants don’t need to sign a new tenancy agreement, but may do so if they both agree.

So your tenant doesn't have to sign a new agreement. If the old agreement didn't state a lease term, than he's month to month. Basically the only way you can get him out is for Cause, or if you intend to occupy the unit, or if you plan to do extensive repairs and renos.

The latter would be the best way to get him out because you said you want to expand the suite. Do some upgrades (Paint, new fixtures, flooring, appliances) and he can't dispute that.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

A vehicle for all occasions
Great68 is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 03:42 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
We had some very good renters in the past but when we switched to homestay, holy fuck, it was a nightmare.

I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but we were better off not renting it out at all. Some food for thought.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 03:56 PM   #15
'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great68 View Post
Everyone here needs to back up here a second, where is everyone getting the idea that a new tenancy agreement must be signed?

From the RTB:

Once a property is sold, the buyer becomes the new landlord and the tenancy continues under the same terms. The buyer and the tenants don’t need to sign a new tenancy agreement, but may do so if they both agree.

So your tenant doesn't have to sign a new agreement. If the old agreement didn't state a lease term, than he's month to month. Basically the only way you can get him out is for Cause, or if you intend to occupy the unit, or if you plan to do extensive repairs and renos.

The latter would be the best way to get him out because you said you want to expand the suite. Do some upgrades (Paint, new fixtures, flooring, appliances) and he can't dispute that.
is there a way to get him to sign a new agreement? like you stated, our previous agreement didn't have a lease term.
when I called the RTO, they said painting, flooring and appliances don't count. but maybe I should look into knocking a wall down if we want to rent the whole basement out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
We had some very good renters in the past but when we switched to homestay, holy fuck, it was a nightmare.

I know it's an apples to oranges comparison, but we were better off not renting it out at all. Some food for thought.
as much as I wish to keep the whole unit to ourselves, we don't need the downstairs and the extra income helps with the mortgage.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:58 PM   #16
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:

From the RTB:

This.

Also, while the standard rent increase allowed by the RTA is 2.5%, you can also petition them for a higher amount. Depending on your reasoning, they may or may not approve your request, or may even suggest a compromise between the two.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #17
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,436 Times in 4,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by insomniac View Post
as much as I wish to keep the whole unit to ourselves, we don't need the downstairs and the extra income helps with the mortgage.
My bad. I meant to say that you should find better tenants who are headache free.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 04:14 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
Like we said, if there is no current renting agreement signed and he refuses to sign a new one, he is no longer your tenant and can be evicted (though 3 months should apply still)
This is false information.

If no tenancy agreement is signed then the standard terms of a tenancy agreement as set out by the RTB still apply.
All the tenant has to do is provide proof that tenancy was established, which wouldn't be too hard for insomniac's tenant to do.

Seriously dude, if you don't know or understand the tenancy act don't post, you're going to get someone in shit.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 04:22 PM   #19

Quote:
is there a way to get him to sign a new agreement? like you stated, our previous agreement didn't have a lease term.
when I called the RTO, they said painting, flooring and appliances don't count. but maybe I should look into knocking a wall down if we want to rent the whole basement out.

Put yourself in his shoes. Would you be keen to sign a new agreement that only works to the landlord's advantage?
He knows he is under no obligation to sign a new agreement, therefore the only way he would have incentive to sign one would be if it benefited him in some way. You're going to have to work some sort of compromise into the new agreement.

Or you're going to have to bust him for Cause, IE the next time he doesn't pay rent (even that could be a lengthy process)
Or you're going to have to take over the basement for personal use (Which can be subject to dispute should you put it back on the market for rental)
Or you're going to have to do some major renos (I didn't actually know what constitutes the definition of major renos, maybe you will have to knock some walls down)

Unfortunately what this whole scenario says to me is that you guys failed to do your homework when you rented to this guy, and you were hoping that your recent family events (my condolences on your father passing) would be an opportunity to easily change things up. It doesn't work that way.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Last edited by Great68; 08-12-2015 at 04:30 PM.
This post thanked by:
Old 08-12-2015, 05:26 PM   #20
'

thank you for guiding me through this. you are far more helpful then the RTO so far haha.
this guy has been renting for about 4 years now which was before my father passed away. I was probably 17 around that time so I'm still trying to figure out everything that was agreed upon back then. but yes, it is definitely my parties fault because of the weak agreement we have with him. but he hasn't been acting up until this year.

our relationship with him isn't so great right now as he only speaks to my mother when I'm not around and she has pretty poor English with a side of short temper. he's a construction worker and he puts a lot of tools in our garage (connected to his suite) and we need the space as we are shifting things around the house. he demanded that we let him build a shed in our backyard but we refused so he threw a tantrum. hopefully we can use this as a barter to get him to sign a new tenancy agreement.

the problem with the above is that again, the previous agreement was all verbal, when I called RTO they said that technically he has no boundaries on our property if there was no written agreement which confuses me as the garage is our property.

am I also allowed to ask him to stop smoking on our property? I don't mind if he does if we renew the agreement as he only does so in the back yard or porch area.

Last edited by insomniac; 08-12-2015 at 05:36 PM.
insomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:34 PM   #21
Zionism gets my shell hard and slimy

Thanked 6,021 Times in 1,129 Posts
Quote:
unfortunately you cant MAKE him do anything.

if hes not breaking any laws, paying his rent and you arnt having immediate family member moving into the space then there isnt much you can do.

when i lived at my previous place new homeowners took over and tried everything to change the rental agreement and i shut that shit down real quick.

yes it does suck that you are in this situation but these laws also protect renters from some pretty fucked up landlords.

anyways, good luck! hope it worksout
snails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #22

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Well, I assume he isn't literally always shouting at his GF, so how much is it really?

The renter doesn't sound that bad, to be honest. Not perfect, obviously, but that sounds a lot better than some renters people I know have rented to.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 07:26 PM   #23

Quote:

the problem with the above is that again, the previous agreement was all verbal, when I called RTO they said that technically he has no boundaries on our property if there was no written agreement which confuses me as the garage is our property.

am I also allowed to ask him to stop smoking on our property? I don't mind if he does if we renew the agreement as he only does so in the back yard or porch area.
With no written agreement, it basically comes down to precedent.

If in the past you let him store stuff in the garage, the RTB will take that as you allowed him access and storage in the garage as part of his tenancy.

Same thing with smoking, if you allowed him to smoke on the property before the RTB will take that as an allowance in the "agreement".

There used to be a couple people on RS that were really knowledgeable about the RTA, they are managers for a few apartment buildings in New West. For some stupid reason that I'll never understand they got banned from RS. It's too bad because they had a lot to contribute on topics like this. I know they're on Reddit in the Vancouver sub, post your questions there and you'll likely get better answers from them.
2014 F150 5.0L XTR 4x4

Old 08-12-2015, 09:02 PM   #24

Here is a different idea, although it may not be ideal.

I don't see any reason why the OP cannot issue this guy a 3 month notice and kick his a$$ out. Even when there is no written contract anymore, the landlord can still exercise the right to evict a tenant, given enough notice.

The slightly troublesome bit is what happens afterwards, because the landlord is not allowed (by law) to kick a current tenant out and find a new replacement. If I am understanding the OP correctly, the tenant is currently living in the basement while the OP and his mom are living on the main floor. But if the OP and his mom are willing to move into the basement, and rent out the main floor, then voila~ Problem solved!

Obviously, this is not exactly ideal. One minor saving grace is, rent for the main floor is almost certainly going to be higher than rent for the basement. But then you aren't violating any RTA terms, and you don't need to cough up $$$ to do any major renovations, and you can still kick the guy out.
Old 08-12-2015, 09:03 PM   #25
'

Quote:
With no written agreement, it basically comes down to precedent.

If in the past you let him store stuff in the garage, the RTB will take that as you allowed him access and storage in the garage as part of his tenancy.

Same thing with smoking, if you allowed him to smoke on the property before the RTB will take that as an allowance in the "agreement".

There used to be a couple people on RS that were really knowledgeable about the RTA, they are managers for a few apartment buildings in New West. For some stupid reason that I'll never understand they got banned from RS. It's too bad because they had a lot to contribute on topics like this. I know they're on Reddit in the Vancouver sub, post your questions there and you'll likely get better answers from them.
i was reading dinosaurs old posts yesterday. had some helpful stuff in there. i may shoot her a dm in case my tenant is on reddit haha.

i talked about it with some other people. so my house is a 2 storey house. a third of the house is totally isolated from the rest of the house and that slot is for the tenant. is it possible for me to move into that slot and rent out the other 2/3 rds without breaking any of the rules? im thinking that it may be the best option for us now after finding out that we are conflicted by so many laws.