REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   #RevsceneVLS General Chat (https://www.revscene.net/forums/revscenevls-general-chat_14/)
-   -   Road Trip Opinions Please! (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704843-road-trip-opinions-please.html)

cdizzle_996 08-13-2015 11:25 AM

Road Trip Opinions Please!

I'm looking to do a 4 or 5 day road trip with my girlfriend.

I'm looking for peoples opinions and past experiences.

Right now we have tossed up the idea of along the Oregon Coast, or Banff.

I'm open minded, if you've been some where and enjoyed it, please share your experiences.

TIA!

meme405 08-13-2015 12:09 PM

Cascade loop, then cut back into canada and come back through osoyoos and manning park.

entrax 08-13-2015 01:23 PM

Heard some good things about Oregon Coast. Go down to near-california border and head back i5?

murd0c 08-13-2015 01:59 PM

drive down to Portland along the I5 spend a couple days there an then go to Cannon beach and drive back home along the Oregon coast. I just did that for July long and it was fantastic.

IMASA 08-13-2015 02:40 PM

We were in a similar dilemma and chose Banff due to the high cost of the USD. We made the mistake of going on a long weekend. All the usual places were packed with people. There was a bus crash that closed the highway for us, so we had to do a detour and missed all the things that we wanted to see along the way, ie Last Spike, Rogers Pass, etc.

We went through Highway 1 because wife wanted to see Hells Gate, stayed a night in Golden. Did the Columbia Icefield thing, went to Lake Louise and Banff, stayed in Canmore. Did the caves tour in Canmore, which was pretty fun if you've never done it before. We were supposed to visit Calgary and Drumheller but cut the trip short because we had car issues.

Lomac 08-13-2015 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by murd0c (Post 8670501)
drive down to Portland along the I5 spend a couple days there an then go to Cannon beach and drive back home along the Oregon coast. I just did that for July long and it was fantastic.

This.

The coastal drive is fantastic, and I try to go to Cannon Beach every year. It's a beautiful little seaside town. Maybe go down as far as the Redwood Forest before turning around.

Banff is also a nice drive, especially once you get East of Kamloops. The Rocky Mountains are fun, and there are a ton of places you can stop on the way (3 Valley Gap, Last Spike, Othello Tunnels, etc., etc). Only downside is Banff will likely be stupid busy this time of year.

Edit: Another idea is to island hop from Vancouver Island and eventually make your way to Queen Charlotte Island (or whatever it's called now... Graham Island?). Great way to see parts of the province that people barely think of.

pastarocket 08-13-2015 06:47 PM

+1 for a road trip along the Oregon coast. Cannon beach is so beautiful!

My buddies and I also drove to Portland to sample the fine beer in the bars. The food and drink in Portland is good.

If you and your girlfriend want to do some shopping in the outlets, there are outlets near the beaches.

Lomac 08-13-2015 06:59 PM

Cannon Beach :love:

https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...31925426_o.jpg

nsmb 08-14-2015 03:55 AM

where did you guys stay in portland?

cdizzle_996 08-15-2015 01:51 PM

Thanks for the input guys.

Looks like we've decided on the Oregon Coast, if any of you have places I should see post it up!

Pegacorn 08-29-2015 09:05 AM

The whole drive down the coast is beautiful. Full of cute seaside towns. Astoria is worth a stop in, especially if you're a fan of The Goonies, since a lot was filmed there. Locations, Maps and Addresses | TheGoonies.org
Also Cannon beach, obviously. If you stop for breakfast in any of the seaside towns, you'll probably find a Pig and Pancake. Have the sourdough pancakes. You won't regret it. Pig 'N Pancake - Home

FB6 08-30-2015 09:58 PM

http://www.revscene.net/forums/65170...nic-route.html

http://www.revscene.net/forums/58253...land-trip.html

twitchyzero 08-30-2015 10:42 PM

I would highly recommend tofino/pacific rim. Hwy 4 is pretty scenic filled with some really tight hair-pins and elevation drops
clayoquot sound is apparently a unesco reserve...just rugged beauty with lots of wildlife
seriously shocked how most people there visiting are from the US/back east than local BC residents

there were quite a few spots along the way I wish I had time to stop for...cathedral grove looked really neat.

6o4__boi 07-18-2016 07:29 AM

Bumping this thread

Wife and I are headed down the Oregon Coast for a week in August. We're most likely going to Airbnb it. (Any other options besides Airbnb in that area?)
Where would be the best place settle and where are some places to go to?

So far I've seen some listings in Newport...but looking for other suggestions as well.

dn53 07-18-2016 09:34 AM

Was down in the Oregon coast for the long weekend, recommend you stop at the Tilamook cheese factory, major tourist attraction. We stayed at a place near the Siletz River but would not recommend it due to the distance away from the coast. Check out the sand dunes with some atving with Torex ATVing or Steves ATV --I've done it with both companies. it was a lot of fun.

6o4__boi 07-18-2016 12:55 PM

also
where's a good spot to stay the night in Portland?
There's a shit ton of options but i'm not sure of the area.
ie. staying in Beaverton vs Portland vs Vancouver etc.

I've only ever passed by Portland but I've never actually stayed for longer than a day haha

jumsoo 08-03-2016 02:32 PM

just came back from Oregon Coast.
love the scene and drive.
food truck in Portland was awesome too

snails 08-03-2016 07:32 PM

I did cannon beach recently, camped at wright's for camping for 5 days, we were mostly on foot to the beach and the shops and we found it perfect. Lots of local attractions within a 30 minute drive and quieter beaches further down. I will be going back next year for sure.

pastarocket 08-03-2016 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8773486)
also
where's a good spot to stay the night in Portland?
There's a shit ton of options but i'm not sure of the area.
ie. staying in Beaverton vs Portland vs Vancouver etc.

I've only ever passed by Portland but I've never actually stayed for longer than a day haha

My buddies and I stayed at Best Western in a quieter area, just 5 miles north of downtown Portland, two years ago. Clean rooms, good complimentary breakfast, and reasonably priced rooms.