REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 08-17-2015, 03:39 PM   #76
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Cops should just all fuck off and hang out at tim horton's parking having donuts. Fucking VIs eh?

AHHA!

My Lexus ISF was lowered pretty much the same as OP's friend's 2IS, and I've had it pretty much like that for a good 3 years, didn't have any troubles at all. I think cops are pretty reasonable, as long as you don't drive like a shitbag, they don't typical pay attention to you much.

ah well....i think everyone on RS would get VI if what OP saying is true
Advertisement
nsx042003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:05 PM   #77
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Been a while since i saw a thread with gold star replies
Old 08-17-2015, 04:35 PM   #78
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
They're actually cracking down on the VI's a lot this year I think. My Z used to be pretty slammed for 2 years when I first had it, tucking tire a little bit and about 8cm or whatever of clearance for the front lip. Loud ass T1R exhaust too. My civic was also tucking tire, at one point almost tucking rim with a loud fartcan for a year or so before the Z. No problems at all, got pulled over every now and then but never a mention of a ticket for my mods.

This year I raised up my car even higher, I'm sitting at almost a 2 finger gap between tire and fender. Changed the loud ass t1r exhaust to a quiet Invidia one, sounded almost like stock if I'm driving normally. First day I took the car out near March this year I got pulled over on a road block and some cop said "Oohh so your car is modified, you don't like the stock car? Your wheels are almost touching the hub! You better change it if you don't want me to tow you next time." He didn't know shit, but probably saying my car was too low and the tire was too close to the fender I guess, when I had a 2 finger gap. Couple months later, same cop pulls me over and actually gives me a VI. My car is pretty noticeable but I wouldn't say too overly illegal or whatever in terms of mods. Car is fairly high, at around -2 camber all around. Quiet exhaust. But technically any change in how wide, low, and any aftermarket exhaust is technically illegal. Pretty much anything you do to your car is illegal actually lol.

Took my car to get VI'd and the more legit shops said that if you lower the car at all, the headlights will be too low and they have to be a certain height to be legal. Fat tires, exhaust, cats, kits that lower the car more than a specified OEM height or something? Wheels that have a more aggressive fitment that are too close or past the fenders. All illegal

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:09 PM   #79
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
What if cop gives VI on BONE STOCK cars that kinda look modified?
Viper GTS-R, Nismo GT-R, 911 GT2, etc?
Or bone stock cars that does not even look modified?

Can you send a bill to RCMP(or wherever) and get your money reimbursed? I'd be pretty pissed if it cost me money for an offence that I didn't even commit.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-17-2015, 07:20 PM   #80
NEWBIE ACCOUNT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rriggi View Post
I've heard about Cst. Sidhu before and I've personally heard about his love of writing box 2's.

If he's legitimately harassing you, all the power to you, its nice to see you doing something constructive as opposed to coming on here and making a WTF PIGS thread. I didn't bother reading half the replies to the OP as most of them are just telling him he's wrong, but ah well...
Thank you... That's all I was asking on the thread if other people have been having problems with him as well
lancer.evo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:29 PM   #81
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

Can you send a bill to RCMP(or wherever) and get your money reimbursed? I'd be pretty pissed if it cost me money for an offence that I didn't even commit.
I was thinking the exact same thing when i was driving home today.
Saw a bone stock black S2000 CR.

Spoiler!

I can see the front lip and rear wing catching the attention of a PO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:48 PM   #82
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 6,994 Times in 1,884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

I got a VI earlier last year for "fog lights as DRL" which is how it came from the factory since it had popup headlights. Took a lot of patience but I had it cancelled instead of having it inspected. Your mileage will vary of course depending on who you get in contact with from the detachment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:00 PM   #83
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
They're actually cracking down on the VI's a lot this year I think. My Z used to be pretty slammed for 2 years when I first had it, tucking tire a little bit and about 8cm or whatever of clearance for the front lip. Loud ass T1R exhaust too. My civic was also tucking tire, at one point almost tucking rim with a loud fartcan for a year or so before the Z. No problems at all, got pulled over every now and then but never a mention of a ticket for my mods.

This year I raised up my car even higher, I'm sitting at almost a 2 finger gap between tire and fender. Changed the loud ass t1r exhaust to a quiet Invidia one, sounded almost like stock if I'm driving normally. First day I took the car out near March this year I got pulled over on a road block and some cop said "Oohh so your car is modified, you don't like the stock car? Your wheels are almost touching the hub! You better change it if you don't want me to tow you next time." He didn't know shit, but probably saying my car was too low and the tire was too close to the fender I guess, when I had a 2 finger gap. Couple months later, same cop pulls me over and actually gives me a VI. My car is pretty noticeable but I wouldn't say too overly illegal or whatever in terms of mods. Car is fairly high, at around -2 camber all around. Quiet exhaust. But technically any change in how wide, low, and any aftermarket exhaust is technically illegal. Pretty much anything you do to your car is illegal actually lol.

Took my car to get VI'd and the more legit shops said that if you lower the car at all, the headlights will be too low and they have to be a certain height to be legal. Fat tires, exhaust, cats, kits that lower the car more than a specified OEM height or something? Wheels that have a more aggressive fitment that are too close or past the fenders. All illegal
-Centre of the headlights must be a minimum of 56CM from the ground
Quote:
4.05 (2) The headlamps must be mounted at a height of not less than 56 cm and not more than 1.37 m.
-if you were to rest the car on the ground with no tires, your rim must be the only component that would be touching the ground

Quote:
7.091 A motor vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of less than 4 500 kg must have a minimum clearance for all parts of it, other than the wheels in contact with the level roadway, that is no lower than the lowest point on the rim of any wheel in contact with the roadway.
just to flesh out the part that i bolded

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-17-2015, 10:09 PM   #84

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer.evo View Post
Here's a picture of my headlight for those people that are trying to do exactly what the cop did... Guessing because it is aftermarket

Depo replacement headlights
Haven't been "opened and painted" came that way bought em off ecstuning
Clear halogen bulb
Clear lenses
Reflector hasn't been tampered with
DOT approved

Anything else you can find wrong with my headlights? Maybe a cross threaded bolt that secures it on which was one grade too low?
Sure looks tinted to me.

General maintenance
4.04 (1) Lighting devices required by this Division must be maintained in good working order.

(2) Lamps and reflectors required by this Division
(a) must be securely mounted on the vehicle,
(b) must not have any cracked, broken, missing or incorrectly installed lenses, and a lamp must not have bent or broken rims that allow water to enter the lamp, and
(c) must not be shielded, covered or obscured by any part of the vehicle or load or by dirt or other material.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 AM   #85

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Finally people giving MVA's to back shit up.

Technically in the eyes of the police ANY MODIFICATION is illegal, which if you read the MVA, is complete and utter bullshit.

Raiden has already shown that you can legally lower a car, yet you have a headlight restriction and a body restriction. Cops will always say shit like "Your car is too low, you don't have a fender gap, that's dangerous" yet if it's not rubbing, and it meets the 2 MVA's, it's NOT ILLEGAL.

Onto tires, the TREAD must be 100% covered by the fender. Thus you can stretch/poke your wheels all you want, as long as the TREAD is covered 100% by the fender to avoid throwing debris onto other road users. (Trying to find the MVA yet can't dig it up ATM)

There will always be cops who think they know WTF they are talking about, and when it comes down to bare brass, they can VI you even for a stock car. This is the problem with giving someone too much power without the knowledge to back it up.

The minute your Jetta hits a reputable VI place though, you're SOL because they will go through the whole car and start telling you everything that needs replacement due to your modifications and putting excessive wear on other components of the car.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #86
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
Finally people giving MVA's to back shit up.

Technically in the eyes of the police ANY MODIFICATION is illegal, which if you read the MVA, is complete and utter bullshit.

Raiden has already shown that you can legally lower a car, yet you have a headlight restriction and a body restriction. Cops will always say shit like "Your car is too low, you don't have a fender gap, that's dangerous" yet if it's not rubbing, and it meets the 2 MVA's, it's NOT ILLEGAL.

Onto tires, the TREAD must be 100% covered by the fender. Thus you can stretch/poke your wheels all you want, as long as the TREAD is covered 100% by the fender to avoid throwing debris onto other road users. (Trying to find the MVA yet can't dig it up ATM)

There will always be cops who think they know WTF they are talking about, and when it comes down to bare brass, they can VI you even for a stock car. This is the problem with giving someone too much power without the knowledge to back it up.

The minute your Jetta hits a reputable VI place though, you're SOL because they will go through the whole car and start telling you everything that needs replacement due to your modifications and putting excessive wear on other components of the car.
IIRC there's other parts in the MVA however, that restrict what you can and cannot change on a car, due to safety tests, road legal approvals - which is where the suspension, power adders, and other mods come in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:17 AM   #87
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Stock car VI's happen, I dealt with a Porsche that received a ticket for the stock exhaust being too loud. Calling the officer didn't help as he refused to believe that he was wrong, so it was cancelled through higher powers eventually.

Colossal waste of time for something that met requirements on all levels.

If your car is modified, make sure you are WELL educated on the laws regarding what you have done, and don't fight with the officer. If you know what your talking about you are usually okay. I keep a copy of the vehicle inspection manual in my car but that's total overkill lol..

Quote:

This, exactly!! ^^^

Modifications need to meet REQUIREMENTS of functionality, and not approval by governing bodies. Idiots will argue all day that if it says for OFFROAD USE ONLY its illegal. No. Just because the manufacturer didn't go through NHTSA and DOT to get the parts approved doesn't make it a part that will fail a VI.

Its probably my fault.

Last edited by rriggi; 08-18-2015 at 11:23 AM.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:22 AM   #88
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:

The whole point of VI's is that officers can't give a full vehicle inspection at the side of the road, and they shouldn't be expected to. At the end of the day if your car gives officers reason to believe it will fail an inspection, and your modifications cause your car to fail that inspection, then the VI is valid.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #89
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,782 Times in 1,242 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
The whole point of VI's is that officers can't give a full vehicle inspection at the side of the road, and they shouldn't be expected to. At the end of the day if your car gives officers reason to believe it will fail an inspection, and your modifications cause your car to fail that inspection, then the VI is valid.
While that makes sense and I don't disagree. The part that bothers me is that, as it's been mentioned, they can legally give you a VI on a stock car for pretty much any reason they want. Which again, is fine. it's the fact that no matter the issue you're still out of pocket the tow and inspection cost whether your car is good to go or not.

What they should have is a system where they issue you a VI. And you have to go get it checked out and if the car passes then there's "no charge" and if it fails then yes you pay the fee.

I realize there's lots of issues to deal with before you can have a system like that implemented. But, it's the point and thought that i'm trying to get across.
Old 08-18-2015, 11:40 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by GabAlmighty View Post
While that makes sense and I don't disagree. The part that bothers me is that, as it's been mentioned, they can legally give you a VI on a stock car for pretty much any reason they want. Which again, is fine. it's the fact that no matter the issue you're still out of pocket the tow and inspection cost whether your car is good to go or not.

What they should have is a system where they issue you a VI. And you have to go get it checked out and if the car passes then there's "no charge" and if it fails then yes you pay the fee.

I realize there's lots of issues to deal with before you can have a system like that implemented. But, it's the point and thought that i'm trying to get across.
Issue with that system is because the VIP is done through independent shops, you cant waste a private shop's time because the officer made an error or assumes that you are not legal/dangerous.

If you are getting a box 1 on a stock car, there is something very wrong lol

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #91

Quote:
I've heard of stock cars getting box 3's but never a box 1, so you're only out the inspection cost.

Quote:

To do that the gov't would have to open inspection facilities as currently all towing and inspections are done by private companies. Our current system may seem like a pain when the odd passable vehicle does get a VI, but it's still cheaper than any legitimately viable alternative that I've heard of.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Old 08-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #92

Aircare is finished right? I think an annual inspection at the current ICBC aircare facilities will be ideal.
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 PM   #93
J.C

Thanked 2,790 Times in 592 Posts
^ please no
J.C is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-18-2015, 04:20 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothie. View Post
IIRC there's other parts in the MVA however, that restrict what you can and cannot change on a car, due to safety tests, road legal approvals - which is where the suspension, power adders, and other mods come in.
There are several mods you can make that aren't illegal themselves, BUT you must have the vehicle re-inspected afterward. That includes just about anything you do to the suspension.

Also, it's not just the BC MVA/MVAR you have to worry about - Transport Canada regs also apply. DRLs, for example, are not a BC-specific law; the MVAR simply stipulates that they must be compliant with the federal regs:

Quote:
Daytime running lamps
4.08 A motor vehicle may be equipped with daytime running lamps, mounted on the front of the vehicleat a height of not less than 30 cm and not more than 2.11 m, that comply with the requirements of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada).
Quote:
Old 08-18-2015, 04:28 PM   #95
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
And yet your vehicle can drive out of the inspection facility with a perfect pass and be sent right back in by police. With no dispute process or way to fight it at all.

Berz out.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:28 PM   #96

I bet the op will comback and say got you fools was just writing a paper lewl
dovo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:04 AM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
Aircare is finished right? I think an annual inspection at the current ICBC aircare facilities will be ideal.
Ok great, now what about the other 941858km^2 of BC?
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 08-19-2015, 07:14 AM   #98
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nsx042003 View Post
that's the worst fuckin idea posted in this forum this year so far

and that's sayin something
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 07:30 AM   #99

Coming from Nova Scotia, where annual inspection is needed to be on the road, VI tickets never really surfaced in the car community. I've only heard of these complaints here in BC. Of course there are ups and downs to everything, OP is complaining about unjust VI that can cause money out of pocket, even if car is 100% compliant. Plus it's not like only air care facility can issue a passing inspection, just like now, any auto shop can do it.

I personally hate annual inspections, it's an extra step in the process, but if the police really want to get shit cars off the road, then it is a much better process then the spray and pray method currently being employed now
Old 08-19-2015, 07:47 AM   #100

Annual inspections used to be a thing here, long ago... I remember my grandpa's car having a row of stickers up the right edge of the windshield, and I recall going with him a couple times to the inspection station near where the BCIT AirCare station was.

Honestly, half the cars on RS probably wouldn't be on the road in their current states, if we went back to annual inspections. Gambling on the odd random VI should be considered a blessing.
Quote:
This post thanked by: