REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Bomb in busy tourist area of Bangkok (https://www.revscene.net/forums/704891-bomb-busy-tourist-area-bangkok.html)

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 07:07 AM

Bomb in busy tourist area of Bangkok

Bombing rocks tourist area in Bangkok, 27 dead & scores injured ? RT News

At least 15 (edit: report also says 27 but official number is 15) dead, 78 injured (not sure if that's official), mostly tourists. They placed the bomb right in front of a major shopping/tourism area in front of malls and the most popular shrine/tourist attraction

I was instantly reminded of this thread, where a user warned people that this type of thing was going to start happening, and got shit on by everyone

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 07:08 AM

Hot Karl 08-17-2015 07:40 AM

that thread was about perceived corruption in thailand. nothing to do about terrorism.

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 07:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8671500)
that thread was about perceived corruption in thailand. nothing to do about terrorism.

It's about rising negativity towards foreigners through various areas of Thai culture. Violence against tourists is included, as stated in the OP.

Terrorism is part of it too.

Anyway it was just a side point.

underscore 08-17-2015 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8671494)
I was instantly reminded of this thread, where a user warned people that this type of thing was going to start happening, and got shit on by everyone

That guy was mad because he was having a harder time illegally smoking pot than before, not that someone was going to be bombing tourist areas.

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8671513)
That guy was mad because he was having a harder time illegally smoking pot than before, not that someone was going to be bombing tourist areas.

He made some good points and some dumb ones. But wow, even though I brought it up as a side point to this event, I didn't think it would be the main topic.

Hot Karl 08-17-2015 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8671514)
He made some good points and some dumb ones. But wow, even though I brought it up as a side point to this event, I didn't think it would be the main topic.

and none of them were related to terrorism. a tourist being called a derogatory name, paying a bribe, getting mugged or 2nd tier pricing isn't exactly on par with a terrorist attack.

that thread was about tourist level corruption. stop acting like it wasn't.

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8671518)
and none of them were related to terrorism. a tourist being called a derogatory name, paying a bribe, getting mugged or 2nd tier pricing isn't exactly on par with a terrorist attack.

that thread was about tourist level corruption. stop acting like it wasn't.

All I said was that reminded me of that thread, not that it was specifically about terrorism. For me, that thread was mostly about how much Thailand is getting to be bad for tourists. It's a sentiment that I've heard more and more lately, and while he may not have specifically cited terrorist threats, others have. And now it happened, so it reminded me of that thread.

But yeah, who cares about the dozens of people who were killed and maimed, let's nitpick a side comment instead! FailFish

meme405 08-17-2015 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8671514)

It was the first thing I was inclined to comment on when I scrolled over your post, because it involves a member here, rather than 15 (or 27) people I know nothing about.

Either way, sad story, more people dying cause of some crazy lunatic who probably has no idea what he is doing, or fighting for.

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 08:41 AM

I very much doubt it was one crazy lunatic. And they know exactly what they're fighting for, as misguided as it unfortunately is.

white rocket 08-17-2015 09:27 AM

Scary stuff. Had a quick panic as my bro-in-law lives there with his wife and daughter. Thankfully they were outside the city at the time.

LOL at peeps jumping all over the FishTaco thread. I didn't find BKK(or any of Thailand) to be like that at all. Mind you, I was with locals the whole time.

pastarocket 08-17-2015 09:32 AM

RIP to the victims. Shit is so real these days in Asia with bombings in Thailand and explosions in Tianjin, China. :heckno:

-probably not a good time to travel to Asia for holidays. :heckno:

CRS 08-17-2015 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8671534)
RIP to the victims. Shit is so real these days in Asia with bombings in Thailand and explosions in Tianjin, China. :heckno:

-probably not a good time to travel to Asia for holidays. :heckno:

Wait, what?

We're going to clump two (seemingly - cue CiC) event and say it isn't a good idea to travel to any Asian countries?

pastarocket 08-17-2015 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CRS (Post 8671535)
Wait, what?

We're going to clump two (seemingly - cue CiC) event and say it isn't a good idea to travel to any Asian countries?

Not just two events. Unfortunately, I've known more than three people who are sick with radiation poisoning after staying in Japan for two, three weeks.

In addition, one individual, who was a health 20 year old guy, died of leukemia after returning from Tokyo and Osaka.

You do know that Fukushima nuclear power plant is still spewing radiation into our oceans?

I'm saying that the dangers of traveling to Asia, are greater now with events like this bombing, the explosion in China, and very unsafe food in Japan.

Shit is real, bro. When you know someone who passed away from leukemia after visiting Japan for only two weeks, it's a reminder about the dangers in some Asian countries. :heckno:

The risk is definitely there with travel to Asia. No exaggeration.

It's not just bad news in the media. -not some CiC post on a RS thread. It's personal for me. :cry:

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8671539)
I've known more than three people who are sick with radiation poisoning after staying in Japan for two, three weeks.

No you don't

Edit: I just rest of your post. It actually makes me angry how stupid it is. Fucking leukemia after visting Japan, fuck off

Maybe that's too rude, but man I don't know how else to respond to that.

pastarocket 08-17-2015 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkinnyPupp (Post 8671542)
No you don't

You calling me on bullshit when I've known two relatives and one friend sick with radiation poisoning????

A friend of mine passed away with leukemia after going to holidays in Japan!
You doubt that too???? :mad: I went to his funeral last year bro!

Fucking idiots don't know how bad things are in terms of food safety in that country.

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 10:08 AM

Whoever told you they got radiation poison is either confused, or lying to you. Unless they broke through quarantine barriers to spend a few weeks within the deactivated plants.

The food there is fine outside the quarantine zone.

It sucks that your friend died from leukemia after going on holidays in Japan, but that would have been nothing more than a coincidence.

Normal, critical thinking people with a normal sense of awareness know exactly how bad or good things are in terms of food safety and other things. It's the "fucking idiots" who think you can get fucking leukemia and die within a few weeks of visiting Japan, because they had a nuclear disaster a few years ago.

pastarocket 08-17-2015 10:17 AM

Normal, critical thinking people should read this article that my brother sent to me about the US FDA restriction on Japanese food imports:

-sounds legit to me.

All I'm saying is that there is a risk to travelling to Asia. The risk is real. You cannot downplay it.

If the United States is putting restrictions on Japanese food imports, then how can you say that food outside of the Fukushima quarantine zone is safe?

Import Alert 99-33

GS8 08-17-2015 10:23 AM

Fucking western media, especially the Comedic News Network (CNN) really grasping at straws, trying to establish that this was a religious based attack from reminding us there's a Muslim Militia in the country to the point of asking a security expert if Hindus and Buddhists get along in Thailand.

:facepalm:

I'm going out on a limb and say it's purely political

pastarocket 08-17-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GS8 (Post 8671551)
Fucking western media, especially the Comedic News Network (CNN) really grasping at straws, trying to establish that this was a religious based attack from reminding us there's a Muslim Militia in the country to the point of asking a security expert if Hindus and Buddhists get along in Thailand.

:facepalm:

I'm going out on a limb and say it's purely political

America and its news media. :fuckthatshit:

Would it be too much for the world superpower to show compassion by sending out bomb experts to help the Thai government investigate the bombing? What about U.S. emergency response teams that can assist with providing medical assistance? Doing some good in response to evil?

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8671549)
Normal, critical thinking people should read this article that my brother sent to me about the US FDA restriction on Japanese food imports:

-sounds legit to me.

All I'm saying is that there is a risk to travelling to Asia. The risk is real. You cannot downplay it.

If the United States is putting restrictions on Japanese food imports, then how can you say that food outside of the Fukushima quarantine zone is safe?

Import Alert 99-33

Did you even read that? It's a list of very specific foods from very specific areas that are restricted from importation, because they at one time have been tested to have radioactive iodine in them.

Obviously you won't want to eat this stuff, but you'd have to try very hard to ingest anything bad. And even then, you'd have to get it while still active (the half life is days long) and eat this poisoned food regularly.

As for "Asia" in general being risky, that's just dumb, sorry. You can't try to lump in 2 disasters 5 years apart with terrorist attacks and call an entire continent dangerous because of it.

6o4__boi 08-17-2015 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pastarocket (Post 8671549)

-sounds legit to me.

Import Alert 99-33

Sorry to hear about your loss and I'm not gonna delve into the topic of getting radiation poisoning but in terms of food safety in Japan, I think you're generalizing that article and stretching it to your POV a bit don't you think?

It's an Import Alert pertaining to specific prefectures. Note the specific prefectures part. I'm not sure if you've been to Japan but they have pretty strict standards (probably the highest in Asian countries) with regards to food safety, particularly when the radiation incident happened. The whole hysteria of "food or food components from Japan is dosed with radiation" is completely unfounded and does not apply to the country as a whole.

Quote:

This statement particularly irks me. Have you seen all the Import Alerts on that site? It's pretty much every country ever. Based on that logic, none of the food from anywhere is safe.

Import Alert 22-01

I could read that and say, well, shit, I guess no more Mexican melons for me.

pastarocket 08-17-2015 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8671557)
Sorry to hear about your loss and I'm not gonna delve into the topic of getting radiation poisoning but in terms of food safety in Japan, I think you're generalizing that article and stretching it to your POV a bit don't you think?

It's an Import Alert pertaining to specific prefectures. Note the specific prefectures part. I'm not sure if you've been to Japan but they have pretty strict standards (probably the highest in Asian countries) with regards to food safety, particularly when the radiation incident happened. The whole hysteria of "food or food components from Japan is dosed with radiation" is completely unfounded and does not apply to the country as a whole.

This statement particularly irks me. Have you seen all the Import Alerts on that site? It's pretty much every country ever. Based on that logic, none of the food from anywhere is safe.

Import Alert 22-01

I could read that and say, well, shit, I guess no more Mexican melons for me.

Strong points. I wanna discuss the Bangkok bombing incident as my posts brought this thread toward a really long side track. My bad, my bad.

If the Canadian government decides to help Thailand out, I'm wondering if there is something an average joe like me can do to help them out.

A donation to a legit charitable organization to help the Thai people?

6o4__boi 08-17-2015 10:56 AM

Man, and I was just about ready to keep talking about Mexican melons.
They're delicious.

I'm not sure if the government will set something up. I haven't been up to tabs on Thailand lately, has their government issues stabilized? Or is shit still going down?

SkinnyPupp 08-17-2015 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6o4__boi (Post 8671560)
Man, and I was just about ready to keep talking about Mexican melons.
They're delicious.

I'm not sure if the government will set something up. I haven't been up to tabs on Thailand lately, has their government issues stabilized? Or is shit still going down?

What do you think? :troll:

As for donations, redcross.org is reliable I think. They don't have a specific page set up yet though