REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 08-18-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

Buying Laptop: New vs Older CPU diff?

Shopping for new laptop for my dad...

When I am checking around for "budget" laptop (<$500), I notice a lot of them comes with CPU that's score lower than a 4 years old cpu

i.e., I am comparing a sandy bridge i5-2520m (refurb T420) vs the newer Pentium N3540 or AMD A8-6410.

Is there anything that these newer CPU offer that are superior than the older sandy bridge i5? (On paper benchmark, they both score much lower than the older i5)

Is there any reason I should get a new CPU/laptop instead of a 4 years old model? (Assuming the older model is refurb and like new quality)
Advertisement
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:19 AM   #2
I don't like cheese but I love milk!

somewhat OT...
but wtf happened to CPU progress?
I remember growing up, 4 years is like a century for computers and CPU stuffs... a high end Pentium 4 in 2004 was completely obsolete by 2008.

It seems CPU progress is non-existent now...they aren't making them faster and even the energy efficiency didn't really improve much on the newer models.
Ferra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:41 AM   #3
Media Officer / MOD

Thanked 5,751 Times in 1,724 Posts
for laptops the newer processor is a lot more efficient so it'll give you better battery life. A lot of gamers still uses 2600k sandy bridge i7 for their rigs as the performance from that to 4790k is similar enough.
Quick link to personal reviews -> Website YouTube
Official Revscene Instagram Coordinator
!Aznboi128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 08:47 AM   #4
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Unless it's for gaming, I doubt your Dad will notice any performance difference between a new/recent cpu. If anything, just make sure you get a laptop with SSD.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 10:42 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferra View Post
somewhat OT...
but wtf happened to CPU progress?
I remember growing up, 4 years is like a century for computers and CPU stuffs... a high end Pentium 4 in 2004 was completely obsolete by 2008.

It seems CPU progress is non-existent now...they aren't making them faster and even the energy efficiency didn't really improve much on the newer models.
I think it has to do with an actual physical limitation of the chip and the way we design chips. We can't continue making them smaller because well.. physics. I'll try to find the articles related to it
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 11:37 AM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,295 Times in 2,509 Posts
IMO, the biggest impediment is a complete lack of competition for Intel. Why spend $$$ to innovate when you're pretty much the only game in town?

But yes, approaching the physical limitations in manufacturing is definitely one of the obstacles.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 12:10 PM   #7
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Get this for your father, and make sure to throw in a SSD

Buy Dell Inspiron 15 Signature Edition Laptop - Microsoft Store Online

It says out of stock, but they might have it at a local store (Pacific Center, Oakridge, Metrotown, etc)
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote