REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-27-2015, 09:14 AM   #26
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,487 Times in 1,686 Posts
WTF? HP laptop?
Advertisement
Old 08-27-2015, 09:23 AM   #27
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Joke's on you if you're going to big box store like BestBuy and expecting expert level service.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:45 AM   #28
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Lol, Geeksquad. Going to them for anything more than basic tech questions ("how do I set up my wireless router with a password?" et al.) is an exercise in futility. Might as well go to Jiffy Lube and ask them to install a set of new coilovers...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 11:54 AM   #29
My homepage has been set to RS

seems like lots of people unhappy with hp.. i'd like to know why...
i work in IT, have had years of exp. dealing with hardware servers ..laptops..etc
i have nothing but good exp. with HP (haven't had laptop/server hardware fail in ages).. dell not so much.. and others are further down...

or
could be just consumer products vs.. business..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #30
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
My buddy who works for a large company in the oil sands also deals with HP and says their comercial stuff is great

I've always had bad experiences with their products but not until I bought the lemon of all lemons, the HP touchpad did I consider them the devil.

Bought the touchpad brand new in the box, opened it and it failed on first start up. After that it was THREE MONTHS of dealing with support in India and the states until I received a working one. Twice when I sent the pad to be repaired they sent me the same broken one back..

I recorded over 15 hours spent on the phone and 30 fucking emails in that period. It was honestly the worst of the worst customer service I ever dealt with in anything, it was laughable how bad it was

In my final email to HP when I finally received a working pad I basically told them from that point on I was going to go out of my way to tell everyone I know or come in contact with not to buy HP products and was even considering starting a website to document the whole thing.

North American support didn't even offer me an apology or even acknowledgement of my final email.
Old 08-27-2015, 12:23 PM   #31
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,623 Times in 577 Posts
OP is retarded

HP consumer line products are garbage

HP business line products are awesome

OP is retarded
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 12:52 PM   #32

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
I've always had bad experiences with their products but not until I bought the lemon of all lemons, the HP touchpad did I consider them the devil.
You knowingly bought something that the manufacturers wants to get rid of via a firesale. Glutton for punishment?
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 12:59 PM   #33
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tool001 View Post
i work in IT, have had years of exp. dealing with hardware servers ..laptops..etc
i have nothing but good exp. with HP (haven't had laptop/server hardware fail in ages).. dell not so much.. and others are further down...

or
Pretty much that, Consumer vs. Business.

The big rigs(Lenovo, Dell, HP) will always provide better support to Business users. Consumer users is a different story.

Not only that, typically Consumer line models are typically cheaper, so build quality isnt as great.

I've had business notebooks replaced every 3-4 years no problems. I've gone through a few consumer notebooks and they barely last a year or two. Defective hardware, over heating issues, crappy build quality.

I'm a Lenovo fan myself. Been selling and repairing them for the last 4 years.. Barely any issues with these notebooks. Plus the Thinkpad Yoga 2 is baws..

Just also got the new Dell XPS 13" that bezel-less touch screen is pimp..

BTW those 2 notebook also had problems Installing Win10.. Am I going to go after the manufacturers? No.. I'm just going to wait till its reliable before deploying.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #34
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Thanks for the retail flashbacks, OP. I am so thankful I don't have to deal with dipshits like you, anymore.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #35
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,906 Times in 3,869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon-88 View Post
The big rigs(Lenovo, Dell, HP) will always provide better support to Business users. Consumer users is a different story.
I used to think that, but my latest dealing with Dells business sales support was such a gigantic load of bullshit that I'll never deal with them again. I won't get into the details here but it was the most pathetic thing I've ever dealt with.

Quote:

or
HP's stock bloatware is some of the most annoying I've seen, but in general I find people complain about most consumer-grade laptops, and most of the time the failures are down to abusive ownership.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:41 PM   #36
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Hey OP, how much BB gift card credits were you compensated by the manager?
Gallardo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #37
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 1,557 Times in 511 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I used to think that, but my latest dealing with Dells business sales support was such a gigantic load of bullshit that I'll never deal with them again. I won't get into the details here but it was the most pathetic thing I've ever dealt with.

HP's stock bloatware is some of the most annoying I've seen, but in general I find people complain about most consumer-grade laptops, and most of the time the failures are down to abusive ownership.
I wont disagree with you on that. I havent dealt with Dell's support in awhile, but when I did (Sales and Support) it was always talking to someone who's primary language wasn't English. Since they've gone public lots has changes for the worst. Thats why I changed to Lenovo. I was fortunate to go to Lenovo's Research Centers in Raleigh, NC and that was an amazing experience.. Got to see the Lenovo tiny's placed in R&D and watching them run militirized tests on them (Sand storms, wind storms ETC.) It was really neat and shows how much the company is moving forward.

Current:
2006 Honda Fourtrax Rancher 400cc ATV (Offroad trails + Winter Snow Plow)
1995 Toyota Tacoma (Toy Hauler)
2003 Honda Civic SIR (Daily Beater)
2018 KTM 390 Duke (Gas Saver)
2017 Subaru WRX Sport-Tech + STI 6MT (Weekend Track)

Past:
2014 Honda Grom
1971 MG MGB Tourer
Kayo MR125 Race Bike
2001 Honda Odyssey
2009 Toyota Corolla CE
2007 Honda Ruckus
2007 Husqvarna SM610 SuperMoto
2001 Honda S2000
Dragon-88 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #38

Thanked 3,842 Times in 879 Posts
OP's profile description:
Occupation
Computer Supervisor
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #39
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:

or
I truly believe that you get what you pay for. I work in IT as well, and I buy pretty much all HP hardware for the company. Their business line-up is good enough for me. Their support for business products are great.

If you need a part under warranty, just call them up, ask them to send you the part with reference to their part number, and they just send it. They don't attempt to troubleshoot it for you. In the end, you're in IT, you are supposed to do all of that already.

On the other hand, if you don't know where to start to troubleshoot an issue, they will guide you through the process. For direct hardware replacements, they will even send out their HP certified technicians to do the job.

That being said, you do pay a little more out front when purchasing their business products.
I've been using HP for the last 7 years, and the company has been using them for 15+ years (even before they bought out Compaq).
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #40
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
HP laptops plus Best Buy service = a recipe for disaster
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:29 PM   #41
ZN6
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 1,731 Times in 649 Posts
Nevermind

Last edited by ZN6; 08-29-2015 at 09:37 AM.
ZN6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #42
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:

or
Dell's business laptop and service are pretty good as well. Next day in person support you can't really beat that.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 03:06 PM   #43
...in the world.

Thanked 7,636 Times in 2,321 Posts
I'm not sure what you expected. They're just retail employees...not rocket scientists. None of them will know what the problem actually is...they just Google it like everyone else.

If it's more complicated than a reformat, they probably just don't want to bother, especially since your upgrade is a free service and you're eating into the time they can use to charge $75 an hour to reformat all those baby boomer PCs that are full of spyware and toolbars. Click a button and fuck off for an hour? Yeah, that's what it's like being a computer guy at a retail chain.
Ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #44
I *Fwap* *Fwap* *Fwap* to RS

Personally didn't have that many issues with my old HP desktop computer.. (Monitor did break after 4 years though, but CPU and HDD, etc is fine).

Heard a lot about bad experiences with HP laptops from others though.. Didn't know there was such a big difference in consumer vs business users for HP.
Purely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #45
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
Dell's business laptop and service are pretty good as well. Next day in person support you can't really beat that.
I always recommend buying from the business side of Dell. Even a cheap Vostro is considered part of the business lineup and qualifies for next day.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:50 PM   #46
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
My buddy who works for a large company in the oil sands also deals with HP and says their comercial stuff is great

Bought the touchpad brand new in the box, opened it and it failed on first start up. After that it was THREE MONTHS of dealing with support in India and the states until I received a working one. Twice when I sent the pad to be repaired they sent me the same broken one back..

I recorded over 15 hours spent on the phone and 30 fucking emails in that period. It was honestly the worst of the worst customer service I ever dealt with in anything, it was laughable how bad it was

In my final email to HP when I finally received a working pad I basically told them from that point on I was going to go out of my way to tell everyone I know or come in contact with not to buy HP products and was even considering starting a website to document the whole thing.

North American support didn't even offer me an apology or even acknowledgement of my final email.
No problems with mine. Even runs Lollipop just fine!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:29 PM   #47
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
So your complaining about a problem doing a free upgrade of WINDOWS?
You want compensation because WINDOWS did not work on the laptop?

Let me get this straight, they offered to preform a FREE service for your CONVENIENCE to upgrade the laptop for you, you declined because you were to impatient to wait and figured you could do it on your own.
You attempt to do it on your own and are unable to do it.
Bring it back to have them do a FREE service for you and are upset when they pick up where you left off and are unable to get the result you are wanting......a fault of the software, not the FREE service they offered to preform for you.

Also, a sticker indicating you can upgrade to Windows 10, is just that. Your laptop is elegable for the free upgrade, however it does not say when. If you READ you will see that Win10 has reservations because it is being updated daily to suite more and more systems and that you SHOULD wait till it has been reserved and you have been notified that you can upgrade now.

So in the end, you were impatient, uninformed and figure its Geek Squads fault that the software was not yet ready for your laptop and somehow the free service they offered you is something they should compensate you for......what a complete joke,
If you read my story properly, after I picked up my laptop from Geeksquad, I went home and I was able to do the Windows 10 upgrade myself. Maybe there's some misunderstanding on why I was a annoyed regarding the service from Geeksquad. Let me explain it in easier terms. Geeksquad is a very well known company worldwide. They have very high standards on their service and knowledge from their techs. One particular Geeksquad member at BB Metrotown wasn't able to do a simple Windows 10 upgrade and gave me an excuse saying this laptop is not ready for the upgrade yet and bring it back in a month for them to try again. Another Geeksquad member at BB Coquitlam told the exact thing to my friend who tried to do the upgrade for him. All it took was about 10 minutes of my time and find the solution from HP's support site. It is so sad that both of these Geeksquad techs weren't bright enough to do that. It is also very sad that both of them told me most of the new laptops that were sold recently, they weren't able to do the upgrade.

Today I went with my friend and took his laptop to BB Coquitlam and told the Geeksquad tech how to do the upgrade. He was surprised I was able to do the upgrade and he also thanked me. They now have my friend's laptop a 2nd time and he will be without his laptop again for another 48 hours.

Regardless if the upgrade is free or not, they should not advertise that promo on their website if they aren't able to do it. On their website it says "Windows 10 Installation included with all HP Computers. Available only on in-store purchases or Reserve and Pickup orders." They inconvenienced my friend, myself and who knows how many hundreds of customers company wide. All they had to do was go to HP's website and go to their support page. They didn't do that, they failed the upgrade and they misinformed many customers on why the upgrade failed. When you work in the service industry, you don't return the customer's product until what was promised and done to the customer's satisfaction. You go online or call around to find solutions. What puzzles me is why they didn't go to HP's support site?

If you still can't understand why I was so annoyed with Geeksquad, then I have no more to say.

BTW...you don't have to wait for your reservation to do the upgrade. There are a couple of ways to the upgrade right away.
platinum300 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-27-2015, 05:30 PM   #48
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,317 Times in 5,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
You knowingly bought something that the manufacturers wants to get rid of via a firesale. Glutton for punishment?
If it had worked for a week or an hour, it would have felt better lol..after the initial charge it went into a boot sequence, blacked out, and never worked again
Old 08-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #49
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Hp commercial models are fine
Even their new consumer lines, Omen, x360 Spectre is sick
Old pavilions were junks
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:13 PM   #50

Thanked 3,846 Times in 885 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinum300 View Post
Today I went with my friend and took his laptop to BB Coquitlam and told the Geeksquad tech how to do the upgrade. He was surprised I was able to do the upgrade and he also thanked me. They now have my friend's laptop a 2nd time and he will be without his laptop again for another 48 hours.
could have just done it for your friend and save him the 48 hours...

did you ever consider that, as a big company, the employees just do as their told or instructed by HQ? maybe they actually DO know ways, outside of their normal methods, to bypass/resolve the issue but aren't allowed to do so due to potential liability concerns? seriously, if it was so easy for you to fix/find, do you believe that not a single soul across this entire company knew?

let's face it. if they had tried other methods (even if it was on the HP support site) to "fix" things and upgrade to win10, and for whatever reason it causes your laptop to screw up sometime down the road.... you'd be the exact same guy going back there to complain and ask for credit/refund, even though they followed HP's support (as you insist they should have done).
bobbinka is offline   Reply With Quote