REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:29 PM   #1
I STILL don't get it

Geeksquad at Bestbuy is a Joke

So I bought a brand new HP laptop at the Bestbuy Metrotown a few days ago. It came with a promotion for a free Windows 10 upgrade and Geeksquad will do it for free. I decided to decline that offer because I wanted to take the laptop home and use it right away.

I took it home and did all the Windows 8.1 update. Then, I did the Windows 10 update. It failed. So I did it a second time and it failed again. I did it a third time and it failed again. What happens is after downloading the Windows 10 update, it installs the setup files in step one of the upgrade. It gets to about 20% and it restarts the computer. After it restarts, it says Windows 10 upgrade failed and it also displays some kind of error code. Then it reinstalls some files and the computer is back at Windows 8.1.

So I give up and bring the laptop to BB Metrotown the next day and have their Geeksquad to do the update. The Precinct Chief (Geeksquad Manager) tells me it will be ready the next day. Next day comes along and it is around dinner time and I get no call yet. So I wait another day and I finally get a call from the Precinct Chief and he tells me he is having the same problem I was having. He was going to give it one more try and I can pick up my laptop before they close for the night regardless if the upgrade succeeds or fails.

So I pick up my laptop and he wasn't able to do the upgrade for me. He told me to bring the laptop back in a month and they will try again. I asked him why the upgrade failed. His reply was this laptop is probably not ready for the upgrade yet. I asked him if it wasn't ready yet, then why is there a big blue sticker on the box that says upgrade to Windows 10 now for free. His reply was it is easy for HP to slap on the sticker.

So today I had some spare time and decided to do some research on the Internet. I went to HP's support site and they had a full page on what to do if you are having problems upgrading to Windows 10. I followed their steps and I was able to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10.

I then called the manager at BB Metrotown and explained my situation and that I should be compensated for my time. I was promised a service to be done on my laptop. Geeksquad failed and I was able to do it myself. I explained my story to the manager a few times because she didn't understand why I called in to complain.

Her reply to my complaint was this was a free promotion and I didn't pay for this service. Right now if I was to upgrade my laptop to Windows 10, I would have to reserve it online and wait maybe a week for the upgrade. I got frustrated and asked her if we were speaking the same language. I told her, I just did the upgrade myself. Finally she clued in and she is going to compensate me with a BB gift card.

I also went with a friend of mine to buy the exact same HP laptop at the BB Coquitlam yesterday. Their Geeksquad is doing his Windows 10 upgrade. I just called my buddy and asked if he got his laptop back. He did, but they couldn't do the upgrade. They told him to bring the laptop back in a month. The reason they couldn't upgrade his computer is because his laptop is not ready for the upgrade yet.

The funny part is when I picked up my laptop at BB Metrotown, the Precinct Chief told me they were not able to upgrade a lot of their customers laptops.
Advertisement
platinum300 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2015, 08:35 PM   #2
Banned (ABWS)

Thanked 2,667 Times in 960 Posts
Why don't you just be a good guy and tell them how you fixed it?
multicartual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

you should just waste their time by returning the laptop for a refund and getting another one
Old 08-26-2015, 08:49 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
That's geek squad for you.

This might sound harsh but I can't count how many times when a customer of ours had a geek squad guy out to setup routers for customers and have no clue what a bridge mode is on their routers. Then try to do a bunch of stupid shit during setup (MAC address cloning, setting up port forwarding when they don't need to etc etc) This would be all fine but then they screw up setup and call us for help lol. In fact sometimes they would call in and try to blame it on us(ISP providers) that we aren't allow their router to communicate. Now I a little asshole in these case and ask them to plug customer PC directly and it works and I would eat the geek squad guy there for breakfast. By the end of the call the geek squad would either be so ashamed or the customer they are helping would actually question if the geek squad knows anything at all.

One of the geek squad that phone in try to blame on our system for not allowing their router to get an IP because the routers is not ours and we can tell. I was like WTF! Had to explain to him how the DHCP works and that there are no way for the system to know what device/brand of device is connected online. All the system does is see their router requesting an IP and we would assign one to them. I even go as far as to give him an example that their router is like a mailman delivering packages but instead of knocking of the customer door and give them the package, the mailman just stands in front of the door doing nothing.

Last edited by Mr.HappySilp; 08-26-2015 at 08:54 PM.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-26-2015, 09:01 PM   #5
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicartual View Post
Why don't you just be a good guy and tell them how you fixed it?
I actually did tell the Precinct Chief at BB Metrotown regarding the solution and he thanked me in a very snarky tone of voice.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

When I use to work atShaw . Some guy called in. Wanting credit. Upon inquiring, he said the guide was wrong, it's showing Rogers cup on the guide but show is something else. He stayed up all night waiting for Rogers cup.

So I said ok..I'll give you credit.. U pay $60 for 50 channels.. And a month has 30 days. So I'll divided $60 with 50 and then 30. Needless to say he was pissed and hung up.

Ur story reminds me of that guy..
tool001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #7
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
tldr but..

buying anything HP was your first mistake

also yes, dont use them for any source of information.. when i purchased my TV i basically made a fool of the guy for 10 minutes until i eventually walked away and he begged me to come back if i bought the TV right there he'd give me a killer discount.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:02 PM   #8
I STILL don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseBlue View Post
you should just waste their time by returning the laptop for a refund and getting another one
That would be funny, but at the same time it is also wasting my time to upgrade the newer laptop.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:12 PM   #9
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

or just return it and buy something non HP LOL
chouchou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:27 PM   #10
Banned (ABWS)?

Thanked 3,985 Times in 1,690 Posts
Use NCIX Forums when you want expert opinions/help on Computer related stuff.

Even our RS Tech thread has members more qualified than these GeekSquad staff.
Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics - REVscene Automotive Forum
Last edited by AzNightmare; Today at 10:09 AM
AzNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:44 PM   #11
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,844 Times in 880 Posts
You're both idiots.
EmperorIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:45 PM   #12
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
you probably could have fixed the issue yourself (which you did) without spending your time going back and forth if you googled properly for like half an hour lol

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #13
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Mint mentos: 8/10

Fruity mentos: 8/10

Mint mentos with rice: 6/10

Fruity mentos with rice: 7/10

Thank you for your suggestion.

Last edited by Lord Xenu; 04-09-2016 at 11:22 PM.
Lord Xenu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:56 PM   #14
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post

buying anything HP was your first mistake
truth.
Posted via RS Mobile
E.D.C.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:58 PM   #15
PM me for my nudes

Thanked 3,772 Times in 1,001 Posts
good job op

solved it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkunkWorks View Post
This wouldn't happen if you didn't drive a peasant car like an Audi...
Quote:
[14-05, 14:59] FastAnna You tiny bra wearing, gigantic son of a bitch
[15-05, 10:35] FastAnna Yeah I was dreaming of those big titties in that tiny bra
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
I'd probably blow someone for that 911
smoothie. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:59 PM   #16
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 5,613 Times in 1,255 Posts
You wouldn't have had that problem if you bought a Mac.
donjalapeno is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #17
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Quote:

buying anything HP and buying it from BB was your first mistake
fixed

i dont know why didn't just exchange the laptop, keep exchanging it just for the heck of it lol
all the open box laptops BB will end up with lol
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #18
das not it mane

Thanked 1,852 Times in 509 Posts
You're a joke OP, fucking idiot lol. You already failed by purchasing an HP laptop. When you're laptop turns to shit in 2 years, are you planning to go back to Best Buy and demand a refund because you think they tricked you into buying it? FOH
Old 08-26-2015, 11:40 PM   #19
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 1,584 Times in 633 Posts
seriously op couldnt u just google it before u bring it back to BB, cuz that could have saved u a loads of trouble u know

Quote:
Originally Posted by hk20000 View Post
I went up to a cute chick and asked her if she'd let me take a photo of her for $30 she slapped me, she said to me that "I AIN'T A WHORE!"

But other than that I have seen every car on display in DTP just by cruising about in Richmond, thank you very much for collecting them together and get someone to sing a cover for "fuck you".

OH FUCK YOU OH OH OOOOH~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neva View Post
wtf man? what the hell kind of women do you go for? spca is for animals not dates...
ae101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 12:30 AM   #20
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwon View Post
You're a joke OP, fucking idiot lol. You already failed by purchasing an HP laptop. When you're laptop turns to shit in 2 years, are you planning to go back to Best Buy and demand a refund because you think they tricked you into buying it? FOH
What you keep a laptop for more than 2 years?
Old 08-27-2015, 05:22 AM   #21
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,283 Times in 270 Posts
Quote:
also yes, dont use them for any source of information.. when i purchased my TV i basically made a fool of the guy for 10 minutes until i eventually walked away and he begged me to come back if i bought the TV right there he'd give me a killer discount.
it's great that you did your homework but "making a fool" of a guy who's probably earning 1 step above min wage is unnecessary
Quote:
Originally Posted by orgasm_donor View Post
organge7 has spoken, and we have done the opposite. yay!
urrh is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 05:50 AM   #22
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Wait, hang on. You bought a new laptop and declined BB's free upgrade service. You took the laptop home and tried to do the upgrade yourself. The upgrade failed. You brought the laptop back to BB for the free upgrade service. You wasted your own time and their time for two days. For compensation, you received a BB gift card.

I have to say, you are a pro at receiving credit for a free service.
By the way, you do get what you pay for...
Reeyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:17 AM   #23
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrh View Post
it's great that you did your homework but "making a fool" of a guy who's probably earning 1 step above min wage is unnecessary
I prefaced everything I talked about before I opened him up. He doesn't get paid to literally lie to customers, regardless of his pay grade.

I was purchasing a Sony 55XBR850B, sony's 4k XBR line, and yes I did a tonne of research before going into the store. However, when I'm asking the guy what my options are for 4K content and he's telling me any viable source such as Apple TV, etc can stream 4k that is blatently wrong and a less savy consumer would have fallen for it.

As well once we went over some more technical details of the TV I got into some more basic questions like the lighting, local dimming, contrast enhancers, etc which are relatively common across the Sony line up, and again the guy was lotterally pulling numbers and information out of his ass in a desperate attempt to make a sale.

If you're going to LIE to me in order to try and make a sale, you better be prepared to have all my product knowledge pushed onto you and hopefully learn somthing for the next time you try and scam a customer into buying a TV you know nothing about.

As well, the guy in question was like the department head or some upper sales position, it wasn't just a regular floor guy.

Edit* actually sorry this TV was purchased from FS, not BB, same shit though
Old 08-27-2015, 07:01 AM   #24
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
^^ That's one of the major issue traditional big box stores are facing.

Their sales lack the knowledge of the products they are selling, but people who goes to the big box stores expect the sale person to know all these details and give them advice. The customers is paying extra money for that service. Otherwise they could have purchase their TV, Computer, tablets, cameras online for at least 20% cheaper and do the research themselves.

Much like Apple products. Why is their iPhones, IPads etc etc so much more than their competitor? Is because of the extra customer service they provide. You bring your iProduct into an Apple store and they actually have people who are knowledgeable about their product to help you. That's why lot's of people are willing to the extra.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 AM   #25
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
So your complaining about a problem doing a free upgrade of WINDOWS?
You want compensation because WINDOWS did not work on the laptop?

Let me get this straight, they offered to preform a FREE service for your CONVENIENCE to upgrade the laptop for you, you declined because you were to impatient to wait and figured you could do it on your own.
You attempt to do it on your own and are unable to do it.
Bring it back to have them do a FREE service for you and are upset when they pick up where you left off and are unable to get the result you are wanting......a fault of the software, not the FREE service they offered to preform for you.

Also, a sticker indicating you can upgrade to Windows 10, is just that. Your laptop is elegable for the free upgrade, however it does not say when. If you READ you will see that Win10 has reservations because it is being updated daily to suite more and more systems and that you SHOULD wait till it has been reserved and you have been notified that you can upgrade now.

So in the end, you were impatient, uninformed and figure its Geek Squads fault that the software was not yet ready for your laptop and somehow the free service they offered you is something they should compensate you for......what a complete joke,

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: