REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   Beating the rat race by living in a boat... inside a swimming pool? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705090-beating-rat-race-living-boat-inside-swimming-pool.html)

CharlesInCharge 08-28-2015 04:08 PM

Beating the rat race by living in a boat... inside a swimming pool?

The first picture here is of a British Colombian fish farm.... so Im thinking how cheap would it be to buy a plot of land for the purpose of making a fish farm then floating a luxurious boat that will service as a residence and "fish farm filter cleaner station".

Plot of land... $100,000
Flintstone swimming pool $5,000
Plywood (cheap CNC technology structured) and stainless steel house boat sourced from old airstream campers $25,000
Luxurious interior $20,000
Would the gigantic dome canopy be necessary?

so for $150,000, barely any yearly property tax, and unconventional living would it possible to beat the rat race this way?
http://i.imgur.com/GkaO3lz.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/L3Np4Iz.jpg

320icar 08-28-2015 04:16 PM

Hitting the chronic pretty hard today?

Hondaracer 08-28-2015 04:33 PM

lol

edit* regardless of whether you're floating on water or not, i dont think you can legally live on remote properties full time?

i know there are a few elderly couples who live up near Logan lake where my family has a cabin. They live in their cabin full time which is essentially a nice house with full septic etc. some sort of law prevents them from living there full time, whether its a tax thing or what, i'm not sure, so they have either a postal box or a residence at a rental place at logan lake in order to live within regulations?

i dunno somthing like that

CharlesInCharge 08-28-2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

regardless of whether you're floating on water or not, i dont think you can legally live on remote properties full time?
Maybe not if its work related... the "farm" would probably allow for some structure\cabin to be erected or an existing farm house where one can "say" he/she lives in.
Maybe farm zoned land isnt this cheap within an hour of Vancouver.

underscore 08-28-2015 06:20 PM

I'm pretty sure you could live in a mobile home, which would be larger, nicer, and have better resale, for cheaper than this. As an added bonus you wouldn't have to worry about the city giving you shit for using the land outside of what it's zoned for.

CharlesInCharge 08-28-2015 07:03 PM

If that was legal, wouldnt many people be doing that already?

underscore 08-28-2015 07:26 PM

It is legal, I'm pretty sure I've seen mobile home parks in the GVRD.

CharlesInCharge 08-28-2015 07:29 PM

You have to pay rent to stay in one.

underscore 08-28-2015 08:15 PM

I'd wager the strata is lower than the cost of running your fish farm boat parking lot.

SkinnyPupp 08-28-2015 08:57 PM

CharlesInCharge 08-28-2015 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8675420)
I'd wager the strata is lower than the cost of running your fish farm boat parking lot.

You cant compare a Strata apartment with the detached ownership and huge space of farmland. Problem is I cant find a cheap piece of land an hour from downtown. Only this one property in Richmond which is still $285k. This is ridiculous.
BC Farm & Ranch Realty Corp. - LT 45B Shell Road Trail

underscore 08-28-2015 10:34 PM

Mobile homes are detached, and if the rest of your numbers are as off as your property cost estimate then your total is up over $400k, which buys you at least a 3 bedroom house anywhere in BC but the GVRD.

jinxcrusader 08-28-2015 10:44 PM

CiC topic.. of course..

godwin 08-28-2015 11:31 PM

All your harebrained schemes missed on important component.. LAND. The physical dwelling ie the house is cheap when compared with the value of the land it is sitting on. Short of buying your own dredger and make new land like what China is doing, you won't be able to get any new land.

You want to live cheap yet in the Lower Mainland? Marry into any of the first nations, Musqueam, Tsleil-Waututh etc. Though some bands dosn't allow mixed marriages to be on reserve. Perhaps you can file a human rights lawsuit regarding that.

godwin 08-28-2015 11:35 PM

Farmland that is in a municipality (basically all the land in the Lower Mainland) still have comply with municipal planning and rules. You can't have multiple dwellings etc. It is for liability and taxation purposes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8675377)
Maybe not if its work related... the "farm" would probably allow for some structure\cabin to be erected or an existing farm house where one can "say" he/she lives in.

CharlesInCharge 08-29-2015 01:07 AM

I can imagine they'd still have some kind of "un-harmonized" rules even if my fish farming techniques were harming no one and hidden away in a large tent.
Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8675448)
Mobile homes are detached, and if the rest of your numbers are as off as your property cost estimate then your total is up over $400k, which buys you at least a 3 bedroom house anywhere in BC but the GVRD.

You cant buy a $150k plot of residential land then park your mobile home there to live... its illegal.

I believe my estimates are correct except for the farmland which I see is still over half a million in places as far as Chilliwack.

Quote:

Originally Posted by godwin (Post 8675475)

You want to live cheap yet in the Lower Mainland? Marry into any of the first nations, Musqueam, Tsleil-Waututh etc. Though some bands dosn't allow mixed marriages to be on reserve. Perhaps you can file a human rights lawsuit regarding that.

:p

SoNaRWaVe 08-29-2015 01:27 AM

buying a RV is a much cheaper solution. just rotate your parking spots. easy peasy.

you asked, why aren't more people doing it? its because nobody wants to be cramped up in a tiny space. and its not very inviting to hosts guests, unless you all are on the same mind set.

CharlesInCharge 08-29-2015 01:44 AM

Rotating the parking spots is the problem... may as well buy a warehouse for 120k and stealthily live in a micro trailer house that way.
??Small warehouse - Port Kells - For Sale??

underscore 08-29-2015 07:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8675488)
You cant buy a $150k plot of residential land then park your mobile home there to live... its illegal.

You put a mobile home in a mobile home park, which is completely legal since there's a bunch of them around.

http://www.mobile-home-parks-forsale...zyLanding3.jpg

And as you've determined, you can't buy any land for $150k. But you can buy something like this for under $100k. 18-45640 Watson Road, Chilliwack, BC, Mfd/Mobile Home For Sale | REW.ca

3 bed, 2 bath, 924 sqft, reno'd in 2012, with a yard and a shed. Taxes are $526/yr and you won't have to smell like fish.

punkwax 08-29-2015 08:03 AM

Shit ya. Get yourself a double wide.
https://worstofehow.files.wordpress....-park-boys.jpg

CharlesInCharge 08-29-2015 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8675507)
You put a mobile home in a mobile home park, which is completely legal since there's a bunch of them around..

Yeah but those parks have monthly fees same as if youre paying rent.
Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8675507)
And as you've determined, you can't buy any land for $150k. But you can buy something like this for under $100k. .

I guess one of these cheap houses would be good if it has parking for a large trailer house.

Surprisingly, heres a crap house with a decent driveway for 30k located near the boarder.
edit - never mind it has some kind of "pad rent" and part of a "park".
# 228 1840 160 ST, Surrey, British Columbia $ V4A4X4 - F1449272 | Realtor.ca
http://cdn.realtor.ca/listing/TS6357...f1449272_1.jpg

Using the Wikihouse CNC methods I would build a luxurious trailer house and try to use that without my neighbours complaining. Better then nothing perhaps. edit - so yeah for $100k these mobile homes in Chilliwack are still too expensive with its limited freedoms. It may be best to rent a Burnaby detached home, rent the rooms out to friends, and live in the driveway\backyard in a nice trailer house.
http://www.tuvie.com/wp-content/uplo...s-tabbert9.jpg

underscore 08-29-2015 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge (Post 8675518)
Yeah but those parks have monthly fees same as if youre paying rent.
I guess one of these cheap houses would be good if it has parking for a large trailer house.

Most do, but if you mortgage $100k of the mobile home and pay $400/mo pad rental you're still under a grand a mnth for a decent sized place with a yard and driveway.

Matlock 08-29-2015 09:46 AM

Or you could just buy a boat and live in any marina. My mother and stepfather did this in the 90s. The neighbors were akin to people who would live in a trailer park, but some might be considered a bit "fancier-types" if they live in a nice sailboat and actually travel in it.

I don't know how much marina docking fees + electricity would cost for a boat these days... But it was considered cheap back then and if you want to move you just go to a different marina or shipyard!

BrRsn 08-29-2015 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 320icar (Post 8675371)
Hitting the chronic pretty hard today?

don't lump stoners with this fucking clown

sdubfid 08-29-2015 12:03 PM

If you train all the fish to swim in circles you could create a whirlpool which would turn a generator to make electricity.