REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:34 PM   #26
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,214 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Alright then, if I'm so stupid, please explain to me how losing Quebec would hurt Canada financially. This is a legitimate request as from where I sit now that claim appears to be false.

Because there will always be idiots like the ones in this article that don't agree? Quebec just has more of a history so it gets noticed, but I'll bet you there are idiots in every province/territory that want to separate for some daft reason or other (inb4 Yukon separatists make the news).
See my first post about Quebec accounting for 20% of Canada's GDP. Just because it receives transfer payments doesn't mean it's not "pulling it's weight". Equalization payments are to bring provinces up to the same level of the highest revenue generating provinces - more often than not: BC & Alberta. Heck even Ontario received Equalization payments last year, doesn't mean it's no longer the economic engine that drives the entire country.
Advertisement

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:34 PM   #27
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,372 Times in 3,904 Posts
wow i thought civic was smarter and not as prone to acting like a crybaby newb (over fails), whats with all the deconstructive flaming? (dont we give out points for that??)

if you guys are going to discuss, then discuss...whats with all the twisted jimmies
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2015, 05:20 PM   #28
I subscribe to Revscene

The towns next step should be to convert their bank and saving dollars to something like the Ruble (Russian) currency where they can still use money to exchange goods but then not be victims to ZioAmerican devaluing of Canadian currency.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 08-31-2015, 09:40 PM   #29
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CivicBlues View Post
See my first post about Quebec accounting for 20% of Canada's GDP. Just because it receives transfer payments doesn't mean it's not "pulling it's weight". Equalization payments are to bring provinces up to the same level of the highest revenue generating provinces - more often than not: BC & Alberta. Heck even Ontario received Equalization payments last year, doesn't mean it's no longer the economic engine that drives the entire country.
20% sounds very impressive, but it has the lowest GDP/capita of the major provinces and the 4th lowest of all the provinces and territories. Canada might lose 20% of its GDP (which on its own sounds scary) but we'd also lose 24% of the population, so overall the GDP/capita would actually go up a smidgen. It's not like we'd lose the 20% GDP but keep the same population to support on the remaining 80%, so on its own that's hardly going to hurt.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 08-31-2015, 09:45 PM   #30
I keep RS good

Thanked 5,538 Times in 1,502 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hehe View Post
It truly shows the flaw in fiat money...

The value is what the receiver perceives, and nothing else.
umm all forms of value work that way lol.
Ulic Qel-Droma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:14 AM   #31
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,776 Times in 8,170 Posts
Quote:
"The Bank of Canada feels that writing and markings on bank notes or mutilating them [is] inappropriate as they are a symbol of our country and a source of national pride," Bank of Canada spokeswoman Josianne Ménard said in a written statement.
Fuck off
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:34 AM   #32
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts

pic very much related
thread delivers
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2015, 07:55 AM   #33
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by StylinRed View Post
wow i thought civic was smarter and not as prone to acting like a crybaby newb (over fails), whats with all the deconstructive flaming? (dont we give out points for that??)

if you guys are going to discuss, then discuss...whats with all the twisted jimmies
F you buddy, we'll see who's the crybaby when I pork yo momma!

This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 07:58 AM   #34
linguistic ninja

Quote:
20% sounds very impressive, but it has the lowest GDP/capita of the major provinces and the 4th lowest of all the provinces and territories. Canada might lose 20% of its GDP (which on its own sounds scary) but we'd also lose 24% of the population, so overall the GDP/capita would actually go up a smidgen. It's not like we'd lose the 20% GDP but keep the same population to support on the remaining 80%, so on its own that's hardly going to hurt.
Okay, So I'll cut off my left arm and lose 25% of my ability to function physically, but that's OK, I'll lose about 15% of my total weight, FTW!

But seriously we're arguing in circles here, fact of the matter is no one knows 100% how Quebec separating will affect this country (whether it be full independence or sovereignty association). So while it may be a positive step i terms of National Unity. I'm pretty sure short to medium term Canada will lose out on the world stage. We'd definitely fall out of the G7, if not de jure, then technically speaking.

This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 08:02 AM   #35
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,123 Posts
The prospect of Quebec separation is not so much about dollars and cents in as much as it's about the psychological impact it would have. Though a lot of people here and out there would welcome secession, any divorce breeds uncertainty which sends negative vibes to investors and companies.

And of course, if Quebec goes, what would stop Alberta or BC from separating? The precedent would be set.
Tapioca is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2015, 11:33 AM   #36

Quote:
Okay, So I'll cut off my left arm and lose 25% of my ability to function physically, but that's OK, I'll lose about 15% of my total weight, FTW!
This isn't even close to a correct comparison.

Quote:
But seriously we're arguing in circles here, fact of the matter is no one knows 100% how Quebec separating will affect this country (whether it be full independence or sovereignty association). So while it may be a positive step i terms of National Unity. I'm pretty sure short to medium term Canada will lose out on the world stage. We'd definitely fall out of the G7, if not de jure, then technically speaking.
That may all be true, but that wasn't the argument you were making originally.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Quote:
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM   #37
linguistic ninja

Quote:
This isn't even close to a correct comparison.

That may all be true, but that wasn't the argument you were making originally.
That's exactly the comparison you're making. Quebec generates 20% of GDP, it doesn't take 20% of GDP to cover transfer payments to Quebec.

This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:09 PM   #38

Quote:
That's exactly the comparison you're making. Quebec generates 20% of GDP, it doesn't take 20% of GDP to cover transfer payments to Quebec.
That's not what I said you dunce, you're combining parts two separate statements to make some bastardized sentence.

- Quebec generates 20% of the national GDP
- Quebec has 24% of the national population
- Quebec has the lowest GDP/capita of the major provinces

You seem to be conveniently ignoring the fact that we lose the population with the GDP, so while the GDP is lower overall it's also supporting fewer people. By losing Quebec we drop the 20% GDP/24% pop and our GDP/capita goes up by ~5.3%. As a bonus we save all the equalization and Federal support being sent to Quebec.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #39
linguistic ninja

Quote:
That's not what I said you dunce, you're combining parts two separate statements to make some bastardized sentence.

- Quebec generates 20% of the national GDP
- Quebec has 24% of the national population
- Quebec has the lowest GDP/capita of the major provinces

You seem to be conveniently ignoring the fact that we lose the population with the GDP, so while the GDP is lower overall it's also supporting fewer people. By losing Quebec we drop the 20% GDP/24% pop and our GDP/capita goes up by ~5.3%. As a bonus we save all the equalization and Federal support being sent to Quebec.
That's some great elementary math you got going there, Dingus.

Except when you take a huge and critical part out of a country's economy it's not so neat and tidy. Provinces aren't self contained entities. There are tons of efficiencies, synergies, economies of scale and logistical matters to take into account. There are also several important federal agencies/crown corps like CN Rail, BDC and the Canadian Space Agency that will need to be relocated. We'll also lose large important multinationals like Bombardier, Molson, and SNC-Lavalin which have offices across the country but are based in Quebec.

Not to mention if Quebec leaves, we are cut off geographically from 4 other provinces.

Fact is, no one from right-wing Reform Party to left leaning NDP has ever run on a platform to antagonize Quebec further or encourage separatism. Why? They're not stupid enough to be responsible for the mess we'll be left with. You think you know better? Like I said, be my guest and run for office on that platform, I think you've already sealed the loony bin vote here on RS.

Last edited by CivicBlues; 09-01-2015 at 01:40 PM.
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:40 PM   #40

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:41 PM   #41
linguistic ninja

Quote:
I know your head hurts, maybe you should get an adult to explain what the big words mean.

This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:45 PM   #42

Quote:
That's some great elementary math you got going there, Dingus.

Except when you take a huge and critical part out of a country's economy it's not so neat and tidy.
You're right, it isn't neat and tidy, but it sure as hell isn't just a 20% drop in GDP either. There would be pros and cons to losing Quebec, so stop acting like there wouldn't be any possible upsides to losing the crusty old remains of the legacy left by the world champions of surrendering and eating cheese. And given all those connections you mention, just how well do you think Quebec would survive on its own? My guess would be pretty fucking horribly.

Quote:
Fact is, no one from right-wing Reform Party to left leaning NDP has ever run on a platform to antagonize Quebec further or encourage separatism.
Exactly what platform are you suggesting? I think the more likely possibility is that nobody gives two shits about the whiney separatists that think Quebec could survive as an independent nation.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #43
linguistic ninja

Quote:
You're right, it isn't neat and tidy, but it sure as hell isn't just a 20% drop in GDP either. There would be pros and cons to losing Quebec, so stop acting like there wouldn't be any possible upsides to losing the crusty old remains of the legacy left by the world champions of surrendering and eating cheese.
Wow, so there it is. Makes perfect sense to me now. Out-dated and misplaced xenophobia and bigotry. You do realize over 20% of the population in Quebec isn't white, and a higher proportion isn't even French.

But then again, what should I expect from someone hailing from "Kel-pwn-a"

Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #44
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Quote:
Not to mention if Quebec leaves, we are cut off geographically from 4 other provinces.
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico are all geographically separate from the rest of continental US. They don't seem to have a problem, do they?
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:49 PM   #45
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
So out of curiosity, what does Quebec provide in the way of economy?! We have mining and oil in the Northwest Territories, fisheries, forestry, hydroelectricity in bc. Farming (both field and livestock) in Manitoba/Saskatchewan. Oil and stuff in Alberta. So what does Quebec do?
Old 09-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #46
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Exactly what platform are you suggesting? I think the more likely possibility is that nobody gives two shits about the whiney separatists that think Quebec could survive as an independent nation.

The I don't give a shit about facts as long as it appeals to the masses "Donald Trump" platform.

Go ahead, I don't see you refuting any facts I've stated (In fact you said yourself you agree with most of them, you're just misinterpreting, misdirecting and appealing to ongoing English-French animosities.

Old 09-01-2015, 01:52 PM   #47
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
So out of curiosity, what does Quebec provide in the way of economy?! We have mining and oil in the Northwest Territories, fisheries, forestry, hydroelectricity in bc. Farming (both field and livestock) in Manitoba/Saskatchewan. Oil and stuff in Alberta. So what does Quebec do?
I really hate to quote wikipedia, but seriously do I need to do this?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Quebec

This post FAILED by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:53 PM   #48
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,231 Times in 2,482 Posts
Quote:
Dude, don't tell me you didn't know that Quebec has like a near complete monopoly on the maple syrup market!

BTW, I hate maple syrup. But Montreal smoke meat on the other hand...
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:54 PM   #49
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
from my narrow-minded experience?
grumpy IT guys, snobby HR Admin personnel and asbestos.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #50
linguistic ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traum View Post
Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico are all geographically separate from the rest of continental US. They don't seem to have a problem, do they?
Combined they don't represent more than 1% of the entire US population or . They are glorified colonies with Senate and House representation -except in the case of Puerto Rico which it pretty much is a colony.