REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-01-2015, 11:13 AM   #1
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Car buy out question

Hi everyone,

I have a question for everyone.

I'm nearing the end of my Lexus IS lease and I would like to buy the car out. The dealership is making me pay $600 on top of the buy out to pay for an inspection fee before I buy the car out.

Is that a normal thing? They said it's a legal thing they have to do. My question is, if I'm buying the car out that I'm already driving, why the hell do I have to pay another $600 for Lexus to inspect.

Is that a normal thing for buy outs?

Thanks!!
Advertisement
Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #2
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Thanked 1,233 Times in 266 Posts
This is from the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia on the topic of lease buyouts. The link is a PDF file.

Lease‐end Inspection Fees
When are they legal? - mvsabc.com
slicrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
In RS I Trust

Thanked 17,582 Times in 4,298 Posts
It might also state that in the contract you signed when you leased the vehicle. Normally that charge is for all the paperwork and such
murd0c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:04 PM   #4
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,438 Times in 5,110 Posts
If all it says in your agreement is that it requires an inspection, and that document says just needs to be provincially authorized... get a regular provincial inspection anywhere that offers it for like $100 or $150 or whatever it costs to satisfy the requirement and tell them to go fuck themselves.......... $600, sheesh.
68style is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 PM   #5
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicrick View Post
This is from the Motor Vehicle Sales Authority of British Columbia on the topic of lease buyouts. The link is a PDF file.

Lease‐end Inspection Fees
When are they legal? - mvsabc.com
Its says you can find another Private vehicle inspector to check. Will probably be cheaper than 600$

"As a best practice, however, a Private Vehicle Inspection (PVI) can be completed by an inspector authorized by the province"
dvst8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Legally a dealership isn't allowed to sell a vehicle to you without having it pass a road worthy safety inspection. Because you don't actually own the vehicle and are leasing it from the dealership they have to take this step. Cost on this is anywhere from $50-$100 depending on the dealership and they will have to replace anything that would deem the car unsafe (bald tires). They are probably wanting to collect another doc free from you which would be included in the $600
brrrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,508 Times in 4,310 Posts
Which dealership is this?

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 01:47 PM   #8
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

^ +1, do tell
you! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 02:07 PM   #9
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
Lots of manufacturer dealerships have this in place. Yes, it is a safety concern as they are basically "selling" the car to you so they need to make sure their ducks are in a row. Ownership title transfer = vehicle sale. Technically you could buy the car out, have mechanical/safety problems, then go back to the dealership and complain. They would pretty much have no choice but to fix it or the VSA would be down their throat. Kind of a screwy system but it is what it is.

As others have mentioned, get an independent inspection and prove that it's safe for road use and if they bach at it, then you know they're fishing for that cash grab.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Usually you have to pay a premium on signing the lease that entitles you to buy the car out at the end of the lease.

Look at your lease paperwork, if you've already paid this premium at the beginning of the lease (As I did with my GTI) and there is no mention of an additional cost associated with this "inspection" then tell them to get fucked or show you where it was disclosed to you and you agreed to it. If the cost of this inspection was never disclosed when you signed the agreement, you can't be expected to pay it.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote