REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat

Mobile Phone & Tablet Chat Need to unlock your phone? Check us out at JP Cellular Repair.
Smatphones, Tablets, Pagers (lol), Accessories, Networks, Services, Tips & Tricks, Download ringtones, Screen savers..

Old 09-02-2015, 01:56 PM   #1
Banned By Establishment

Travelling to the USA and Asia

hey guys, I'm travelling to the USA for 1 week and then will be in HK and Philipines for 3 weeks. I'd like to have my iphone for Text and Data so that I can stay connected with friends in those countries while I'm there. What do you guys do? I've heard about Roam Mobility, but wondering if i should just get a temporary prepaid phone or SIM in those countries
Advertisement
pankrationisfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM   #2
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Can't help you with your asia trip. I use Roam Mobility and it's great. Check to see what your current plan's roaming package include. It would be less hassle if they're similar in price. Make sure your phone is unlocked for it to work and keep a copy of the phone settings you may have to change when you're in the States.

Rates: https://www.roammobility.com/plans
Settings: https://www.roammobility.com/support...artphones.html
mos_skeeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:21 PM   #3
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Roam Mobility is your best bet for your week in the US. Just take note that it only gives you 400MB of data per day at 4G speeds before you get throttled to email/Whatsapp only speeds.

While you're in Asia, get a SIM card from there.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 04:36 PM   #4
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor Ramon HG View Post
Roam Mobility is your best bet for your week in the US. Just take note that it only gives you 400MB of data per day at 4G speeds before you get throttled to email/Whatsapp only speeds.

While you're in Asia, get a SIM card from there.
+1 in HK there is a mobile shop inside the airport you can sign up I think for a 1 week plane unlimited data for like $200 hk dollar.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:23 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,820 Times in 3,902 Posts
in the US T-Mobile's Pay2Go option is really cheap if you have an unlocked phone...and often their sim card goes for 99 cents.
twitchyzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 PM   #6
Got MOD?

Yup. What everyone here says. US is cheap but roaming elsewhere is $$$. Get a new SIM for each country you're going to.
My Feedback (50-0-0)

!MiKrofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:08 AM   #7
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
Make sure your iPhone is unlocked before you travel!
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 1,755 Times in 544 Posts
Use wifi
ilovebacon is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #9
Banned By Establishment

Depending on what hotel you stay at, they might provide you with a smart phone complimentary. The two hotels we stayed at in HK provided them.
racerman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 04:51 PM   #10
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
in the US T-Mobile's Pay2Go option is really cheap if you have an unlocked phone...and often their sim card goes for 99 cents.
T-Mo itself is no longer a great deal anymore unless you're on their grandfathered $3/day plans. Roam is easily the better bet (it's the same network), plus Roam allows you to tether and you only need to refill once a year vs every 90 days that you need to do with TMo.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 06:41 PM   #11
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
T-Mo itself is no longer a great deal anymore unless you're on their grandfathered $3/day plans. Roam is easily the better bet (it's the same network), plus Roam allows you to tether and you only need to refill once a year vs every 90 days that you need to do with TMo.
+1

If you have a grandfathered $3/day plan, it's great, otherwise, it's not such a good deal anymore as costs will add up quickly.

I'm iffy on recommending Roam Mobility. Far too often, I get people telling me their service does not work when they reach their destination (i.e. Las Vegas, San Fran, Seattle etc.) because of a billing system error.

Reaching out to customer service on weekends can be a real pain as they contract their customer care centre to the Philippines so service can be shoddy. I guess the saying of "you get what you pay for" applies here, but your mileage may varry.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 10:27 AM   #12
degenerate extraordinaire

I've used Roam 3 times so far and it's been mostly pain free. The only trouble I've had thus far, is adding an additional day via SMS. It does take a little bit of time to get the service up and running again. But then again I have never done such a thing on any other provider, so perhaps the same thing happens with other companies.
He would step out of his freshly downtown autospa detailed 996 C4s, check out his own reflection in the driverside window out of habit, take off his brand new limited edition D&G aviator sunglasses so the mf can see the fury in his eyes, sashay over to the other guy and then threaten to insert his black leather Savatore Ferragamo loafers into the guys rear-end.
Ikkaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:18 PM   #13
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

Never had any issues with Roam billing myself either. Maybe I'm just lucky. On my last trip to Dallas, it took about 15 minutes for the service to kick in but other than that the only issue I've had is not taking into account time zone differences and it didn't kick in at the right time which was my fault.

Was able to call in and have them push back the activation time without too much difficulty. However, I can imagine there could be some difficulties with offshore call centres so I'm sure it's very much a YMMV when calling in.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 07:30 PM   #14
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,501 Times in 4,306 Posts
Update: My brother is in Las Vegas. Despite topping up the account in Vancouver, it isn't active in the billing system. Took about 1 hour and multiple calls to their call centre to get this sorted out.

Again, this is more of a YMMV kind of thing, but something to be prepared for.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote