REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Technical Discussion > Audio, Video, & Security Tech

Audio, Video, & Security Tech This forum is brought to you by Sounds Good Auto in Coquitlam and Burnaby.

Enter SPL Competitions, display your Setups, DIY Projects

Old 09-02-2015, 07:12 PM   #1
Oh goodie, 5 posts already!

high end SQ

hey guys, i was wondering if you would have any insight on high end audio, im looking for a 6 channel amp for my front stage (soon to be dynaudio esotec), and im stuck between an audison vrx 6.420 or a mcintosh mc440, i would also be interested in other amps in this price range that you think could be better (500-800).

if possible i would like to get ultimate clean power (the amp just needs a gain knob, i will be tuning it with a dsp)
Advertisement
Dean_Pelech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:57 AM   #2
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

Between the two, I would buy the MacIntosh. It has superior sound and will probably last longer.

Which DSP are you looking for? Most of them have a volume knob to run the whole system already

Keith McCumber
SoundsGood Auto Services
Everything we do is sound!

104-2700 Barnet Hwy Coquitlam 604-961-8626

1420 Boundary Rd. Burnaby, 604-676-8100

www.soundsgoodauto.com

Hours of Operation: Tuesday through Saturday 9:00 to 6:00

Authorized dealers of: Focal, Audison, Alpine, JL, Kenwood, Pioneer, Sony, Thinkware, Compustar, K40...

WE ACCEPT: ICBC Claims, VISA, MC, DEBIT, PAYPAL AND CASH.
installerz is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 AM   #3
RS Licensed Vendor

Both are amazing amps. VRX amps are quite complicated (they come with a textbook for a manual) but in my opinion sound a little better. They had a Class-A module you could add to the amp if I recall and tend to sound more dynamic and detailed.

I find Mcintosh sound very warm in the mid range. So really it's a matter of preference. Mcintosh amps usually are in the <60WRMS per channel.

Audison has a AV5.1K that's a hybrid amp that's not too far off of your budget. It's a mix of Class A, Class AB, and Class D.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #4

thanks for the input guys!, i may just end up going with a newer setup but im just not sure if i would get the same bang for my buck in terms of clean,no frills power.
Old 09-03-2015, 06:24 PM   #5

keith. i only need the gain dial on the amp to adjust the gain, if possible i would like to set the gain, then never touch the amp. similar to the old school pheonix gold ms series amps (i have also been looking into those aswell). i would rather have everything controlled by the dsp, which will probably be a bit one.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:21 PM   #6
Ye olde moderator

Thanked 1,278 Times in 390 Posts
Gain settings are really meant to be set one time. It is a sensitivity adjustment, not a volume control (I'm sure you already know this but in case others don't).

Not too many shops will properly set up the gain. In fact, I think we're one of the only shops that uses an oscilloscope to correctly set up the deck's output as well as the gain on the amp. Going over this simple procedure is the difference between speakers and amps blowing up or lasting for a lifetime. Setting an amplifier any other way (Even with a D'amore DD-1) is just a guessing game.

Sales and Installer at Certified Auto Sound
Maple Ridge, BC
orgasm_donor is offline   Reply With Quote