REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   ICBC says B.C. drivers will soon have to pay more (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705185-icbc-says-b-c-drivers-will-soon-have-pay-more.html)

Timpo 09-03-2015 12:33 PM

ICBC says B.C. drivers will soon have to pay more

ICBC says B.C. drivers will soon have to pay more

The Canadian Press
Published Monday, August 31, 2015 1:26PM PDT

VANCOUVER - It will be two months before the Insurance Corp. of B.C. applies for a specific change to basic insurance rates, but drivers across the province are being warned they will pay more.
ICBC has begun filing its basic insurance rate application with the BC Utilities Commission, but final parts of the application, including any request for a rate change, aren't due until the end of October.
Despite that, the provincial auto insurer says a recent leap in injury claims means that if its request were filed today, it would have to ask for a 6.7 per cent rate hike, the highest possible under current legislation.

ICBC president Mark Blucher says the corporation will work with government over the next few weeks to identify ways to reduce the impending rate increase.
The insurance corporation says costs for bodily injury claims topped $2 billion for the first time last year.
They are expected to climb to $2.3 billion this year, an increase ICBC says amounts to 64 per cent, or almost $900 million, since just 2008.

ICBC says B.C. drivers will soon have to pay more | CTV Vancouver News

Timpo 09-03-2015 12:34 PM

ICBC rates could climb 6.7% because of fraud, spike in claims
Transportation Minister Todd Stone has called the proposed hike 'unacceptable'

CBC News Posted: Aug 31, 2015 1:58 PM PT Last Updated: Aug 31, 2015 1:58 PM PT

http://i.cbc.ca/1.1524180.1379102350...-insurance.jpg

ICBC says a spike in injury claims and fraud will likely force it to increase basic auto insurance rates this October by as much as 6.7 per cent.

The Crown corporation says its payouts for pain and suffering, future care and loss of wages rose 10 per cent last year to $2.17 billion.

CEO Mark Blucher says if ICBC were to ask for a rate increase today, it would seek 6.7 per cent — which is the maximum allowable under current legislation.

But Transportation Minister Todd Stone said on Monday such a hike would be "unacceptable" and he is working with the provincial insurance company to minimize the rate hike.

"While the number of crashes is relatively unchanged, ICBC is also reporting more crashes with multiple injuries than ever before, with more cases being potentially fraudulent," said Stone.

"Just last month, ICBC released a media bulletin about a 'jump-in' scheme, where it was able to determine only one individual was in an accident, but two other relatives fraudulently filed bodily injury claims," said Stone.

ICBC rates could climb 6.7% because of fraud, spike in claims - British Columbia - CBC News

Tone Loc 09-03-2015 12:39 PM

Blame all of the people claiming injury/missed work for being rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic at 5 km/h....

CharlesInCharge 09-03-2015 12:48 PM

Its all theater... by raising rates we throw the middle class in the bike lanes this way and reduce street traffic.

Hondaracer 09-03-2015 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina (Post 8677252)
Blame all of the people claiming injury/missed work for being rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic at 5 km/h....

Girlfriend backed into a car who was attempting to pull into the spot she was backing out of. A collision of probably LESS than 5km's. Woman in the sun fire claimed injury..:rukidding:

All this bullshit is why if I'm going to get into an accident knowing aka sliding into somone etc. you best believe I'm going to try and write off my truck. Might as well get a chunk of cash for my bending over and getting fucked in the ass even though I've got 15 years of perfect driving..

320icar 09-03-2015 01:02 PM

I've only ever been in one accident (which was my fault) many many years ago. Hit the front fender/front bumper of their vehicle (vision was blocked trying to turn right out of a gas station into the road) no one was injured and their vehicle didn't have much damage. Got s letter from icbc months later and I wa being sued for 2.5 million in damages. Of course icbc dealt with it and I'm sure shot that down like crazy.

This is the crazy of society we live in though. How do you think that no injuries equates to 2.5 million?!?!?

melloman 09-03-2015 01:13 PM

Best part of that article is that ICBC wants to hike rates 6.7%, the maximum allowable meanwhile our wonderful transportation minister Todd Stone thinks 3.9% is a much better number..

:fulloffuck:

The government should pass a law that if someone is caught trying to commit insurance fraud, they get the gas chamber. We don't need people like this in our society to begin with, might as well exterminate them like the cockroaches they are.

6o4__boi 09-03-2015 01:13 PM

yup...been bitten by this before.
rear ended some skank under 5 km/h
hell, it was a slight tap. I've been tackled harder than I hit that bitch

she claimed something like $25k+ in injuries
i hope that dumb skank got herpes and aids and is blowing anyone for meth.

DHP 1 09-03-2015 01:36 PM

^

thought usually low speed impact ICBC wont approve shit, will be consider as low impact. how the hell did tat bitch get $25g...even with lawyer that seems a bit excessive

knight604 09-03-2015 01:39 PM

I bet you the rates are going to increase yearly cause of this.

6o4__boi 09-03-2015 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DHP 1 (Post 8677282)
thought usually low speed impact ICBC wont approve shit, will be consider as low impact. how the hell did tat bitch get $25g...even with lawyer that seems a bit excessive

one of my buddies knew a guy who scammed icbc way back (10ish years ago) for $75k+
similar to my situation, apparently he got rear ended at an intersection by a guy that just let off the brakes after stopping

the guy didnt show up to work for a long time and pretty much just did shit all and pretended that his back and neck was all messed up for at least a couple of years

if the stories are true apparently this guy got hooked on blow and is now homeless in TO :lawl:

willystyle 09-03-2015 02:25 PM

If anything, this is one good reason for automatic-driven vehicles. Cuts off most of the BS.

VR6GTI 09-03-2015 02:37 PM

Quote:

^

They probably did fight it, so maybe the bitch got 5g but the lawyers that icbc hired cost 15g to fight it.
Sometimes its more cost effective to throw a lower number at someone then have the lawyers hash it out

flagella 09-03-2015 02:57 PM

What a fucking society we live in.

DHP 1 09-03-2015 03:12 PM

^

pretty sad to be honest...

Another loop hole is anyone looking for a new paint job,......u grab a set of key.....and ..............

pay the deductible and...voila!!!

:rukidding:

!LittleDragon 09-03-2015 03:33 PM

Low velocity is hard to get shit out of ICBC. I took a 5km bump and had to pay for 10 months of physio myself... well, extended medical did. Didn't care about the settlement. If there's medical costs involved, ICBC should cover that but they didn't. In case anyone's wondering, I was still recovering from a 40km hit at a red light. Not everyone's circumstances are the same.

fsy82 09-03-2015 03:49 PM

I've actually been in a low velocity impact. I was stopped at a crosswalk to let people cross on steveson. A driver behind didn't see we were stopped and he slammed into me going about 15 km/h. It doesn't seem like a lot to cause back pains but I tell you I'm still suffering from it.

The reason is because I wasn't braced for the hit. If i was braced for it I think I would have been fine. The impact was hard enough that it pushed my car through the cross walk. Thank god the people had already made it across.

subordinate 09-03-2015 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fsy82 (Post 8677314)
I've actually been in a low velocity impact. I was stopped at a crosswalk to let people cross on steveson. A driver behind didn't see we were stopped and he slammed into me going about 15 km/h. It doesn't seem like a lot to cause back pains but I tell you I'm still suffering from it.

The reason is because I wasn't braced for the hit. If i was braced for it I think I would have been fine. The impact was hard enough that it pushed my car through the cross walk. Thank god the people had already made it across.

I believe if you had braced for impact, you would have been in worse shape. The body gets less injured if you are in a relaxed state.

And I doubt it's all these minor claims against ICBC. It's the liberals/Province using ICBC as their get out of jail card/piggy bank.

J-Chow 09-03-2015 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timpo (Post 8677250)

ICBC president Mark Blucher says the corporation will work with government over the next few weeks to identify ways to reduce the impending rate increase.

Here's a way to reduce the impending rate increase.

Reduce everyone's salary who makes $300,000 per year in ICBC, particularly the CEO, President and/or Directors. :rukidding:

jasonturbo 09-03-2015 04:42 PM

The main problem is the law, the courts are bound by the law.

Precedents are set and from that point on there becomes a basic framework or procedure to abuse ICBC for injury/pain and suffering related compensation - and the legal community knows this.

There are too many people in BC that view accidents as opportunities to better their finances IMO, seen it many times in my personal life.

My insurance costs were barely any different between Alberta and BC, the main difference is that if I get hit by another driver here in Alberta, it's going to be hard to obtain financial compensation beyond the cap imposed by the Province... which is a measly 5k... not a very attractive number to a lawyer.

Minor Injury Cap Amount Announced by Alberta Government for 2015 | Cummings Andrews Mackay LLP

J-Chow 09-03-2015 04:46 PM

BC should follow Alberta's way. Cap it!

46_valentinor 09-03-2015 05:06 PM

Quote:

^

If you do some research, low speed impact is not recognized in court. If the party sues icbc and goes to court, the low speed impact rule will be eliminated and the court will be the one who will be deciding the payout.

ICBC's Low Velocity Impact Program | ICBC Personal Injury Claims Lawyer Erik Magraken | Victoria & Vancouver Island BC

JesseBlue 09-03-2015 05:08 PM

this is not news anymore. It seems like a recycled email/memo to news places. the only thing they change is the date and percentage its going up.

vitaminG 09-03-2015 08:53 PM

icbc needs to institute no-fault insurance.

would put all the ambulance chasers and scam artists out of business and give us all our lower rates back.

Jmac 09-03-2015 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subordinate (Post 8677319)
I believe if you had braced for impact, you would have been in worse shape. The body gets less injured if you are in a relaxed state.

And I doubt it's all these minor claims against ICBC. It's the liberals/Province using ICBC as their get out of jail card/piggy bank.

In a front collision, it's best to relax but it's best to brace in a rear collision.