REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:33 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ICBC says B.C. drivers will soon have to pay more

ICBC says B.C. drivers will soon have to pay more

The Canadian Press
Published Monday, August 31, 2015 1:26PM PDT

VANCOUVER - It will be two months before the Insurance Corp. of B.C. applies for a specific change to basic insurance rates, but drivers across the province are being warned they will pay more.
ICBC has begun filing its basic insurance rate application with the BC Utilities Commission, but final parts of the application, including any request for a rate change, aren't due until the end of October.
Despite that, the provincial auto insurer says a recent leap in injury claims means that if its request were filed today, it would have to ask for a 6.7 per cent rate hike, the highest possible under current legislation.

ICBC president Mark Blucher says the corporation will work with government over the next few weeks to identify ways to reduce the impending rate increase.
The insurance corporation says costs for bodily injury claims topped $2 billion for the first time last year.
They are expected to climb to $2.3 billion this year, an increase ICBC says amounts to 64 per cent, or almost $900 million, since just 2008.

ICBC says B.C. drivers will soon have to pay more | CTV Vancouver News
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #2
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
ICBC rates could climb 6.7% because of fraud, spike in claims
Transportation Minister Todd Stone has called the proposed hike 'unacceptable'

CBC News Posted: Aug 31, 2015 1:58 PM PT Last Updated: Aug 31, 2015 1:58 PM PT

ICBC says a spike in injury claims and fraud will likely force it to increase basic auto insurance rates this October by as much as 6.7 per cent.

The Crown corporation says its payouts for pain and suffering, future care and loss of wages rose 10 per cent last year to $2.17 billion.

CEO Mark Blucher says if ICBC were to ask for a rate increase today, it would seek 6.7 per cent — which is the maximum allowable under current legislation.

But Transportation Minister Todd Stone said on Monday such a hike would be "unacceptable" and he is working with the provincial insurance company to minimize the rate hike.

"While the number of crashes is relatively unchanged, ICBC is also reporting more crashes with multiple injuries than ever before, with more cases being potentially fraudulent," said Stone.

"Just last month, ICBC released a media bulletin about a 'jump-in' scheme, where it was able to determine only one individual was in an accident, but two other relatives fraudulently filed bodily injury claims," said Stone.

ICBC rates could climb 6.7% because of fraud, spike in claims - British Columbia - CBC News
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #3
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Blame all of the people claiming injury/missed work for being rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic at 5 km/h....
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:48 PM   #4
I subscribe to Revscene

Its all theater... by raising rates we throw the middle class in the bike lanes this way and reduce street traffic.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-03-2015, 12:55 PM   #5
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,322 Times in 5,640 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyColdMedina View Post
Blame all of the people claiming injury/missed work for being rear-ended in stop-and-go traffic at 5 km/h....
Girlfriend backed into a car who was attempting to pull into the spot she was backing out of. A collision of probably LESS than 5km's. Woman in the sun fire claimed injury..

All this bullshit is why if I'm going to get into an accident knowing aka sliding into somone etc. you best believe I'm going to try and write off my truck. Might as well get a chunk of cash for my bending over and getting fucked in the ass even though I've got 15 years of perfect driving..
Old 09-03-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,759 Times in 3,870 Posts
I've only ever been in one accident (which was my fault) many many years ago. Hit the front fender/front bumper of their vehicle (vision was blocked trying to turn right out of a gas station into the road) no one was injured and their vehicle didn't have much damage. Got s letter from icbc months later and I wa being sued for 2.5 million in damages. Of course icbc dealt with it and I'm sure shot that down like crazy.

This is the crazy of society we live in though. How do you think that no injuries equates to 2.5 million?!?!?
Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Best part of that article is that ICBC wants to hike rates 6.7%, the maximum allowable meanwhile our wonderful transportation minister Todd Stone thinks 3.9% is a much better number..

The government should pass a law that if someone is caught trying to commit insurance fraud, they get the gas chamber. We don't need people like this in our society to begin with, might as well exterminate them like the cockroaches they are.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 01:13 PM   #8
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
yup...been bitten by this before.
rear ended some skank under 5 km/h
hell, it was a slight tap. I've been tackled harder than I hit that bitch

she claimed something like $25k+ in injuries
i hope that dumb skank got herpes and aids and is blowing anyone for meth.
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #9
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

^

thought usually low speed impact ICBC wont approve shit, will be consider as low impact. how the hell did tat bitch get $25g...even with lawyer that seems a bit excessive

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:39 PM   #10
#deephouse

Thanked 4,704 Times in 1,243 Posts
I bet you the rates are going to increase yearly cause of this.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHP 1 View Post
thought usually low speed impact ICBC wont approve shit, will be consider as low impact. how the hell did tat bitch get $25g...even with lawyer that seems a bit excessive

one of my buddies knew a guy who scammed icbc way back (10ish years ago) for $75k+
similar to my situation, apparently he got rear ended at an intersection by a guy that just let off the brakes after stopping

the guy didnt show up to work for a long time and pretty much just did shit all and pretended that his back and neck was all messed up for at least a couple of years

if the stories are true apparently this guy got hooked on blow and is now homeless in TO
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #12
HELP ME PLS!!!

If anything, this is one good reason for automatic-driven vehicles. Cuts off most of the BS.
willystyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 02:37 PM   #13
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Quote:
^

They probably did fight it, so maybe the bitch got 5g but the lawyers that icbc hired cost 15g to fight it.
Sometimes its more cost effective to throw a lower number at someone then have the lawyers hash it out
VR6GTI is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,814 Times in 957 Posts
What a fucking society we live in.
flagella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:12 PM   #15
RS.net Licensed Sponsor

^

pretty sad to be honest...

Another loop hole is anyone looking for a new paint job,......u grab a set of key.....and ..............

pay the deductible and...voila!!!

www.drivehard.ca
140/150 11351 Bridgeport Road
Richmond, BC
604-270-2494

Official dealers of : Volk Racing, Vossen wheels, Yokohama, Gram lights, KICS Project, Status Racing Seat, AMS tuning, KW Automotive, Work Wheel, VMR Wheel, Macht Schnell, Tein, Defi, Vishnu Tuning, HRE Wheel, MXP Exhaust, Vorsteiner, Varis, Arqray, Techart, Champion, Iforged, NEEZ Wheel
DHP 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #16
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Low velocity is hard to get shit out of ICBC. I took a 5km bump and had to pay for 10 months of physio myself... well, extended medical did. Didn't care about the settlement. If there's medical costs involved, ICBC should cover that but they didn't. In case anyone's wondering, I was still recovering from a 40km hit at a red light. Not everyone's circumstances are the same.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:49 PM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I've actually been in a low velocity impact. I was stopped at a crosswalk to let people cross on steveson. A driver behind didn't see we were stopped and he slammed into me going about 15 km/h. It doesn't seem like a lot to cause back pains but I tell you I'm still suffering from it.

The reason is because I wasn't braced for the hit. If i was braced for it I think I would have been fine. The impact was hard enough that it pushed my car through the cross walk. Thank god the people had already made it across.
fsy82 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 04:05 PM   #18
My homepage has been set to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
I've actually been in a low velocity impact. I was stopped at a crosswalk to let people cross on steveson. A driver behind didn't see we were stopped and he slammed into me going about 15 km/h. It doesn't seem like a lot to cause back pains but I tell you I'm still suffering from it.

The reason is because I wasn't braced for the hit. If i was braced for it I think I would have been fine. The impact was hard enough that it pushed my car through the cross walk. Thank god the people had already made it across.
I believe if you had braced for impact, you would have been in worse shape. The body gets less injured if you are in a relaxed state.

And I doubt it's all these minor claims against ICBC. It's the liberals/Province using ICBC as their get out of jail card/piggy bank.
subordinate is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 04:07 PM   #19
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post

ICBC president Mark Blucher says the corporation will work with government over the next few weeks to identify ways to reduce the impending rate increase.
Here's a way to reduce the impending rate increase.

Reduce everyone's salary who makes $300,000 per year in ICBC, particularly the CEO, President and/or Directors.
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 04:42 PM   #20
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
The main problem is the law, the courts are bound by the law.

Precedents are set and from that point on there becomes a basic framework or procedure to abuse ICBC for injury/pain and suffering related compensation - and the legal community knows this.

There are too many people in BC that view accidents as opportunities to better their finances IMO, seen it many times in my personal life.

My insurance costs were barely any different between Alberta and BC, the main difference is that if I get hit by another driver here in Alberta, it's going to be hard to obtain financial compensation beyond the cap imposed by the Province... which is a measly 5k... not a very attractive number to a lawyer.

Minor Injury Cap Amount Announced by Alberta Government for 2015 | Cummings Andrews Mackay LLP
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 04:46 PM   #21
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

BC should follow Alberta's way. Cap it!
i don't think i ever played a game as a kid where you punch each other in the dick.
J-Chow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:06 PM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
^

If you do some research, low speed impact is not recognized in court. If the party sues icbc and goes to court, the low speed impact rule will be eliminated and the court will be the one who will be deciding the payout.

ICBC's Low Velocity Impact Program | ICBC Personal Injury Claims Lawyer Erik Magraken | Victoria & Vancouver Island BC
04 Honda Cbr600rr Racebike - sold
00 Honda S2000 - sold
17 Ford Mustang GT - Traded
18 Volkswagen GTI
46_valentinor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 05:08 PM   #23
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

this is not news anymore. It seems like a recycled email/memo to news places. the only thing they change is the date and percentage its going up.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:53 PM   #24
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 4,578 Times in 934 Posts
icbc needs to institute no-fault insurance.

would put all the ambulance chasers and scam artists out of business and give us all our lower rates back.
vitaminG is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-03-2015, 09:04 PM   #25
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by subordinate View Post
I believe if you had braced for impact, you would have been in worse shape. The body gets less injured if you are in a relaxed state.

And I doubt it's all these minor claims against ICBC. It's the liberals/Province using ICBC as their get out of jail card/piggy bank.
In a front collision, it's best to relax but it's best to brace in a rear collision.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: