REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   Court date for speeding (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705198-court-date-speeding.html)

pb.kidz 09-04-2015 09:02 AM

Court date for speeding

I was passing slow traffic in the left lane on E Columbia to merge into the right lane one night and the cop said I he saw me fly by him.

Gave me a ticket for "Speeding against municipality sign" $138

My job depends on a clean driving record, I have a court date coming up, is it possible to negotiate in order to pay the fine and get no points/record?

Ive never been to traffic court before.. Tips??

Thanks

CRS 09-04-2015 09:04 AM

IIRC, if the ticket is issued to the owner of the vehicle and not the operator, no points will be handed out but you will still need to pay the fine.

You MIGHT be able to negotiate this with the PO before trial when they usually try to speak with the defendants.

smoothie. 09-04-2015 09:04 AM

unless you have a valid reason to drop the ticket, you're stuck with it.

you might be able to ask the cop to drop the points and only pay the fine with the speeding ticket offense.

bluejays 09-04-2015 10:00 AM

Not sure if this happens all the time but the officer usually approaches you on your court date and offer a lesser punishment if you plead guilty as it speeds up the process.

pb.kidz 09-04-2015 11:18 AM

I'm willing to pay the fine no problem, Just wondering if they could drop the points. I know it'll be up to the officers discretion.

wing_woo 09-04-2015 11:41 AM

Do you know the officer's contact info? Try contacting him and ask him. But do so before the 30 days to dispute happens.

Just tell him your situation and he may be nice to change the ticket to ticket you as the 'registered owner' which will carry no points. This charge has no points because it is stating that they know the vehicle was speeding but cannot be certain who the driver was so it's charged to registered owner without points.

That's how red light tickets and photo radar (when we had it).

If you can't contact him prior to the 30 days, then dispute it and talk to him at the courthouse and tell him that you plan to plead guilty and are hoping he can change the charge to the RO instead so there won't be points. You may even be lucky enough that he doesn't show up and you just plead not guilty and it gets thrown out completely.

I find that most of the times, if you show you are making an effort, the officers are quite accommodating. Things usually are not as stressful for them when they aren't standing at roadside and are generally really nice if you are able to talk to them while not at the roadside getting a ticket.