REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-04-2015, 11:06 AM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
Anti-ICBC sentiment strong

Anti-ICBC sentiment strong
by Nicholas Johansen | Story: 147064 - Sep 3, 2015 / 4:40 pm

According to a recent Castanet poll, a lot of people are fed up with British Columbia’s car insurance provider.

The poll asked, “Should ICBC be privatized?” Of the 4,344 people who responded, 3,182 said it should be privatized while only 1,162 felt it shouldn’t.

Comments on the poll varied. Many people posted how different their rates were in B.C. compared with elsewhere in Canada, where insurance is provided through private companies.

“Yes I paid double in B.C. for my Jeep insurance compared to Alberta,” wrote Stephen Burns.

“Yes please. Moved from Ontario. 2015 Jeep. Perfect record. Insurance doubled. Driving to work? Extra. Outside the province? Extra. Outside the country? Extra,” wrote Ryan Benson. “B.C. gets F'ed when it comes to insurance.”

Others felt that simple comparisons of rates between the provinces do not paint the full picture.

“If you are elderly, young, especially a male under 21, you would pay SUBSTANTIALLY more under private insurance as these groups are high risk,” wrote Bob Dunbar, who said he has 18 years experience in the insurance industry. “ICBC has "fair" rating that can't discriminate for those things.”

Others remembered how B.C.’s insurance was before ICBC was implemented.

“No, I remember what it was like before ICBC came into being, THANK YOU NDP. No one had to insure you. If you were a young person wanting to get motorcycle insurance, good luck, and get another job to pay if you did get it,” wrote Richard Thuillier. “Quit your whining, it's a better system than we had.”

Regardless, the anti-ICBC sentiment was strong among the commenters.

“You know you have nothing to fear in life after dealing with ICBC because even Hell would be a vacation/piece of cake,” wrote Tracy Rennes.

Anti-ICBC sentiment strong - BC News - Castanet.net
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:29 AM   #2
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

If the government didn't steal ICBC's surplus money to balance the budget or whatever they used it for, they wouldn't need to raise rates.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:31 AM   #3
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Thanked 3,899 Times in 1,380 Posts
The masses have hated ICBC for years. Insane rates, etc. Err'body wants the sector privatized. Nothing new here.
white rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:38 AM   #4
Survivor MOD

Thanked 1,615 Times in 574 Posts
It's the lesser of two evils.
T4RAWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Keep ICBC and allow other private companies to operate. Not just for third party insurance tho.
JaPoola is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 11:44 AM   #6
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
Turns out that out of the 4,344 people polled, 1,162 were ICBC employees.

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 12:12 PM   #7
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4RAWR View Post
It's the lesser of two evils.
After all the private insurance horror stories I've heard, I'd rather stick to ICBC.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Next in Timpo Current Events: The Sky is Blue
Old 09-04-2015, 02:25 PM   #9
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 3,478 Times in 1,679 Posts
I think the "anti-Timpo" sentiment is strong in RS.

Am I right?

I almost mis-read this thread as "Anti CiC sentiment is strong".
Old 09-04-2015, 02:29 PM   #10
HELP ME PLS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Next in Timpo Current Events: The Sky is Blue
erm, since this is Timpo, I believe it would be:

The Sky(line Veilside kit) is Blue.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #11
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

talked to someone from Ontario, ICBC starts looking real good after.
unless I missed some key points.
ImportPsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 03:05 PM   #12
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Personally, I prefer ICBC to private insurance. You think that ICBC "screws over" claimants? Try going with private insurance where surplus money goes into some executive's pocket instead of being recirculated into government coffers and you will see the real meaning of being f'd over when you need coverage. Private insurers are MUCH more stingy with payouts because every cent they don't pay you goes into their personal pocket.

Modify your car? Good luck getting insured. Or random "audits" to make sure your car is not modified for speed. I know of folks in the States whose insurance went up or got straight up cancelled because of simple mods such as a new exhaust, air intake, etc.. because they were perceived by the insurance provider to be indicative of unsafe or high-speed driving.

And as a male in his 20s (pretty sure many of us on RS fall into this demographic) we would get completely wrecked by private insurance since we are a "high-risk" group. Also, say goodbye to insuring RHD cars, "rare" cars, or speciality vehicles when private insurance has absolutely no obligation to insure your car. Whereas ICBC does....
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 05:07 PM   #13

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
^ I think many of us know that there are some benefit to ICBC. Someone here on RS posted a while ago.

For example, if you go to the states, you can get your car insured for $300/year.
But you will typically only get $50,000 coverage for third party liability.
Whereas here in BC, it's very typical to see people with couple million $ coverage or even more.

What's frustrating for most people is that, we do NOT have an option.
ICBC is an auto insurance monopoly and if we do not like ICBC for whatever reason, we have no option to try other insurance companies.

Also many lawyers say that ICBC represents both at-fault and no-fault drivers at the same time, which is nothing but a conflict of interest.
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #14
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
The funny part to me is that the same people bitching about ICBC sucking because it's a public company probably think we should nationalize our resources lol

Having dealt with private insurers in Alberta and of course ICBC in BC.. my premiums were almost identical but there was a major difference in the service, I was blown away by how much better it was dealing with ICBC from a customer service perspective.

Last edited by jasonturbo; 09-04-2015 at 06:37 PM.
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 05:31 PM   #15
Performance Moderator

Thanked 15,108 Times in 5,002 Posts
I only wish they would insure the driver not the car itself so you can be covered for more than one vehicle (of course with only one being on the road at any given time) under one policy. This is how it's done in pretty much every other developed country in the world. Having to pay for a full policy on every car you own just to be able to drive them is super constricting. It would also save on license plates, you sell your car and the plate goes with it just like in the UK or USA etc
68style is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 06:36 PM   #16
I don't get it

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68style View Post
I only wish they would insure the driver not the car itself so you can be covered for more than one vehicle (of course with only one being on the road at any given time) under one policy. This is how it's done in pretty much every other developed country in the world. Having to pay for a full policy on every car you own just to be able to drive them is super constricting. It would also save on license plates, you sell your car and the plate goes with it just like in the UK or USA etc
I sold my CJ7 to a guy in Seattle. He showed up at my doorstep with cash and a temp sticker. Apparently his insurance goes with whatever vehicle he is driving and he is allowed two free temp stickers per year. All he has to do is buy the tags for each vehicle and insure himself.

The other thing is private insurance in BC wouldn't sell me extra coverage on my CJ7 deeming it as a vehicle that was easy to steal. Private insurance also didn't want to insure my commercial vehicles and I only put on about 6k km's per year. Talk about pick and choose what to cover to insure that they don't lose on.
sleepywheel is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 08:29 PM   #17
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

^ I think the post above hit it right on the nail. I think at the end of the day, should vehicle insurance be a public good? Yes, by privatizing the field would bring in arguably more competitive rate but since private companies only care for their own bottom line, it would be foreseeable that someone would not be able to buy insurance unless they pay for an arm and a leg.

Same argument against Transit going private. Unpopular route would just get canceled and people would be left with no choice but to take a cab or hitch a ride.
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-04-2015, 08:41 PM   #18
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

the only thing I don't like about icbc is that they don't give discounts for multiple vehicles, I think fleet policy is for 5+ and commercial use.

Anyone who hates on ICBC never left this province. If you are under 25 or have any sort of tickets or accidents the friendly gekko from geico will bend you over.

PS get roadstar plus if you travel and rent cars alot. Great value compared to credit card insurance
noclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 09:03 PM   #19

Thanked 12,136 Times in 3,361 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
What's frustrating for most people is that, we do NOT have an option.
ICBC is an auto insurance monopoly and if we do not like ICBC for whatever reason, we have no option to try other insurance companies.
ICBC CAN'T turn you down for insurance because of your age, sex, driving record, or the color of your hair. It may cost you a couple limbs and a testicle if you have a shitty driving record, but you can still get insurance (assuming your vehicle is legal, of course).

Private insurers are under no obligation to sell a policy to anyone. There's a chance, in such an all-private environment, that you wouldn't be able to insure your vehicle AT ALL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepywheel View Post
I sold my CJ7 ...
DUDE!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianrietta View Post
Not a sebberry post goes by where I don't frown and think to myself "so..?"
Soundy is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 07:14 AM   #20
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
For reference, I decided to check what my insurance rates would be for one of my cars.

1997 Saab SE Turbo
Slightly modified
Full collision and comprehensive.
$2 Million Liability
$300 deductible
Within 15km of work
30,000+ km's travelled each year
1 partial fault collision within 5 years
1 basic speeding ticket, 6 years ago
15 years of driving experience

ICBC: $978/year
Alberta: $1601 - $2119
Ontario: $3856 - $4353
Saskatchewan: $741 (bare minimum, basic insurance... online quote system wouldn't let me add anything)

New York (Manhattan address): $362 for 6 months (bare minimum insurance)
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 07:20 AM   #21
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,166 Times in 1,550 Posts
Is your NYC price in USD?
Old 09-05-2015, 10:02 AM   #22
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,239 Times in 5,600 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
After all the private insurance horror stories I've heard, I'd rather stick to ICBC.
A guy I worked with used to get his additional coverage through a private company. Every year when he'd renew he would have a 30 minute phone interview with the provider and some of the questions he was being asked were like wtf.. Stuff like how long have you been married/with your partner, do you drive much after midnight, if you park on the street in front of your house how far away from your front door are you? Etc lol

Some of the questions are so odd I had to ask what he was interviewing for before I found out it was for his private insurance coverage.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:19 PM   #23
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 2,120 Times in 991 Posts
A lot people who complain about ICBC should really try living in other places and paying their insurance, and god-forbid, they get into an accident.

I've unfortunately had to deal with ICBC many times in the past, and most of the time they were great. Really the only "horror" story was I got rear ended in Portland, and the other party had no insurance, and I had to pay the $300 deductible.

The only real knock I have against them is it's really hard to get a hold of your adjuster during your claims process because all of them are so overworked.

As you can see I am a big advocate of ICBC, I can't say it makes me feel safe driving in BC, but at least I know I will be protected.
EvoFire is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 05:25 PM   #24
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto View Post
Is your NYC price in USD?
Yup. Was too tired to do the conversion into CAD. Sadly, insurance is pretty much the only cheap thing in NY. Every time I go back I simply borrow rides or take the subway and taxi anywhere the line doesn't go. Parking for a month is more than insurance for a year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
A guy I worked with used to get his additional coverage through a private company. Every year when he'd renew he would have a 30 minute phone interview with the provider and some of the questions he was being asked were like wtf.. Stuff like how long have you been married/with your partner, do you drive much after midnight, if you park on the street in front of your house how far away from your front door are you? Etc lol

Some of the questions are so odd I had to ask what he was interviewing for before I found out it was for his private insurance coverage.
Yup, some private insurers ask some really odd questions. Some I can understand like where the car is parked, but others like what your spouse does for work doesn't make much sense.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-05-2015, 09:38 PM   #25
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,872 Times in 3,849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
But you will typically only get $50,000 coverage for third party liability.
Whereas here in BC, it's very typical to see people with couple million $ coverage or even more.
Do you really want to be driving around surrounded by people with shitty insurance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
Yup, some private insurers ask some really odd questions. Some I can understand like where the car is parked, but others like what your spouse does for work doesn't make much sense.
This is a wild guess but I'm assuming it's because they know that at least a handful of times a year your spouse may end up taking your car for whatever reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundy View Post
Private insurers are under no obligation to sell a policy to anyone. There's a chance, in such an all-private environment, that you wouldn't be able to insure your vehicle AT ALL.
Or they'll give you such an insane quote that it's not realistic to insure with them. I recall seeing a story in the news a few years back about a kid from Alberta with a few accidents and a written off vehicle on his record. Because of all this the quote he got for insurance in Alberta was $100k a year. They didn't say what his car was but still, that's just absurd. It reminded me of the Top Gear episode where they tried to find the best car for a teenager and all the insurance quotes were several times the value of the car.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote