REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-09-2015, 07:52 AM   #76
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 4,066 Times in 1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiuYi View Post

I don't get why Syrian refugees feel so entitled to live in the EU, and Germany especially... if my country was being torn to shreds I'd be happy to live ANYWHERE that had peace
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmeister View Post
It's hard to sympathize with refugees that pick and choose where to go. Just find a place where bombs aren't dropping over your head. And throwing away water/food when provided to you out of the kindness of the government? disgusting.

So they only want Germany, Sweden, and UK. Sounds like a fucking vacation.

Higher chances that they won't get sent back as these are the wealthier countries in the EU.
Advertisement

Quote:
MG1: in fact, a new term needs to make its way into the American dictionary. Trump............ he's such a "Trump" = ultimate insult. Like, "yray, you're such a trump."
bcrdukes yray fucked bcrdukes up the nose

dapperfied yraisis
dapperfied yray so waisis

FastAnna you literally talk out your ass
FastAnna i really cant
FastAnna yray i cant stand you
yray is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 08:08 AM   #77
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,454 Times in 813 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by godwin View Post
There are a lot of misinformation in this thread.

I suggest those who want to or willing to know more to volunteer at one of the local organisations eg Welcome Home and see the situation in Vancouver first hand. Spend some time with refugees instead of relying on here say. Imagine walking a few metres in their shoes, how far they had traveled. Church groups are encouraged to sponsor 1 - 2 families.. that is saying 300 people sponsoring 2 families.. it is not even a huge number. No one is telling individuals to sponsor willy nilly. There is a process, you do know as a country, we are accepting refugees every day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by meowjinboo View Post
there were lots of citizens in the 80's and 70's who left soviet bloc coutnries from eastern europe.

Go to Calgary and talk to cab drivers about it. They have good stories.

My parents fled Military Junta in the 70's from Greece and landed in Canada in 74 in Montreal (where I wish they stayed there haha).
I know all too well of the real, proper, process as my mothers side all fled Eastern Europe during WW2, and Australia was a sanctuary for them before being accepted to Canada.

There is a process, yes we do let in immigrants and refugee's everyday. But through that process, we screen people to see how they will impact our society. We aren't just going to let in thousands of people that might need longterm medical care, or need welfare/housing support.

When people compare now to the 70's and 80's... I kind of laugh. You're talking about the building boom in Canada when pulp & paper, forestry, mills, mining, oil, gas, manufacturing that had so many job openings you could show up with no experience and get hired on the spot.

Look at today, people are accepting UNPAID internships to try and land jobs. We aren't living in the same world as back then.
[17-03, 09:23] Amuro Ray is it normal for my dick to have things growing on it?
Quote:
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna You guise are like diet coke and I am the mentos
[15-05, 13:34] FastAnna Incredible. How easy it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by murd0c View Post
I'm scared of spiders... When I see one I toss my cats at it
melloman is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-09-2015, 12:51 PM   #78
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 7,383 Times in 3,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloman View Post
I know all too well of the real, proper, process as my mothers side all fled Eastern Europe during WW2, and Australia was a sanctuary for them before being accepted to Canada.

There is a process, yes we do let in immigrants and refugee's everyday. But through that process, we screen people to see how they will impact our society. We aren't just going to let in thousands of people that might need longterm medical care, or need welfare/housing support.

When people compare now to the 70's and 80's... I kind of laugh. You're talking about the building boom in Canada when pulp & paper, forestry, mills, mining, oil, gas, manufacturing that had so many job openings you could show up with no experience and get hired on the spot.

Look at today, people are accepting UNPAID internships to try and land jobs. We aren't living in the same world as back then.
At the same time Canada sent back a ship load of Jews to die.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:14 PM   #79
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,910 Times in 606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manic! View Post
So why are we bombing then?
because the international community as a whole begged for military intervention in syria?

its not the bombing that displaced the syrians, it was ISIS so i fail to see your point.

Last edited by Sid Vicious; 09-09-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Sid Vicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 01:21 PM   #80
I subscribe to Revscene

Do you acknowledge that Canada imported hundreds of terrorists into Syria?

Quote:
At the same time Canada sent back a ship load of Jews to die.
This was a ZioAmerican policy to settle occupied Palestine.
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #81
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

^ The Canadian government did that? Or individuals from Canada did? Or are you just spewing shit out of your ass?
Ball.J.Inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:27 PM   #82
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
So as the refugees start coming in, how do you guys feel about how much of our resources are being allocated to them?

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #83
Where's my RS Christmas Lobster?!

Gregor should show his leadership by opening his home to refugees.
tonyzoomzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2015, 07:34 PM   #84
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
So as the refugees start coming in, how do you guys feel about how much of our resources are being allocated to them?
Disclaimer: This is not from me at all, just reposting this from an argument on the same topic from a Reddit user. It seems well researched with references and is an interesting counter to your question. Studies are from the US.

Economic research shows that low income legal immigrants (which is what they'd be) are a net positive to the economy in the long term, put in more than they take get out, provide other benefits such as stabilizing local labor demand shocks, and how immigrants are more likely to entrepreneurial so they are able to raise labor demand.

From that last study in 2015:

Each immigrant creates 1.2 local jobs for local workers, most of them going to native workers, and 62% of these jobs are in non-traded services. Immigrants appear to raise local non-tradables sector wages and to attract native-born workers from elsewhere in the country. Overall, it appears that local workers benefit from the arrival of more immigrants.
Look, I'm willing to accept that the "drain on society" will come from a non-economic perspective, but anytime anyone says that immigrants are a drain on economic resources, no one is able to provide me actual economic research that proves such. It seems like it's all coming from populist rhetoric, but I'll keep an open mind if you can show me data that proves otherwise.

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:37 PM   #85
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fliptuner View Post
Why Canada should take in 20 times more refugees
Quote:
How much would this cost? Contrary to popular perception, the government of Canada pays very little to support refugees arriving in Canada. Financial support can be provided for up to one year or until they find work, whichever comes first. In Ontario, a single refugee could receive up to $781 per month for a year, in addition to a one-time allowance of $905.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2015, 07:49 PM   #86
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
Gregor should show his leadership by opening his home to refugees.
you do know that gregor and his former wife used to take in a lot of kids right? sure they're not refugees, but...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 07:58 PM   #87
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
They are too far away to make it here anyways. The refugees coming to Greece etc have the clothes on their back and that's about it.

If he's actually suggesting using vancouvers/BC's resources to enable them to come here then that's just insane.
Saw on the news looks like we will be sending charting planes and even use mililtary planes to fly them over lol.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 09:17 PM   #88

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to contribute money and aid towards assisting other countries that are closer to Syria and less expensive to live in with their intake of refugees? Flying people halfway around the world and plopping them in one of the most expensive cities to live in seems like a poor use of funds to me.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2015, 09:39 PM   #89
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
Wouldn't it make a lot more sense to contribute money and aid towards assisting other countries that are closer to Syria and less expensive to live in with their intake of refugees? Flying people halfway around the world and plopping them in one of the most expensive cities to live in seems like a poor use of funds to me.
Vancouver isn't taking all 25,000 refugees and most of the ones that do end up in Vancouver will either be related to someone living here or sponsored by someone living here. I highly doubt the government plans to buy detached homes in Shaugnessy for refugees.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #90
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
Vancouver isn't taking all 25,000 refugees and most of the ones that do end up in Vancouver will either be related to someone living here or sponsored by someone living here. I highly doubt the government plans to buy detached homes in Shaugnessy for refugees.
I am actually mostly for Canada taking in refugees, however I am concerned with the amount we will take in and who we take in.

we also need to consider:

- What happens when more refugees leave these countries, do we keep taking more and more? What happens when other african countries and bangladesh have a mass exodus due to climate change or civil wars? Do we accept those folks too?

- Also, there's many reports that many of them are not even from Syria or war torn countries. Many are from Bangladesh or pakistan or other places hoping to cash in on job prospects. They even have fake syrian IDs. https://www.rt.com/news/316570-eu-fa...rian-refugees/

- Is Canada going to properly screen these folks? There's stories of syrian refugees seeking translators from other non arabic languages. Easy flag. Also what if there are ISIS terrorists among them? Even if only 1% of them are terrorists, and we take in 25,000. That's 250 terrorists.

- Also accepting many refugees can open a floodgate which really just helps the smugglers get rich.

- This really doesn't really help the root cause of why they are leaving, and does depopulating syria really help them?
iEatClams is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 11-10-2015, 11:27 PM   #91

Refugees and immigrants are not a burden on Canada but a benfit. They make Canada better.

Came here as a refugee from Afghanistan and now is the minister of democratic Institutions.

Daniel Igali refugee from Nigeria. Olympic Gold medal winner.

Randa Markos. Iraq refugee now a UFC fighter.

That's 3 of many. People who came here with nothing and now are thriving.

A couple of more stories. http://ccrweb.ca/en/35journeys
Old 11-11-2015, 06:11 AM   #92
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
Quote:
Refugees and immigrants are not a burden on Canada but a benfit. They make Canada better.

Came here as a refugee from Afghanistan and now is the minister of democratic Institutions.

Daniel Igali refugee from Nigeria. Olympic Gold medal winner.

Randa Markos. Iraq refugee now a UFC fighter.

That's 3 of many. People who came here with nothing and now are thriving.

A couple of more stories. 35 Journeys | Canadian Council for Refugees
There also others who came with no education and are a burden to the society. Just look at Europe. If the refugees are as good as you said all of the Europe countries should be welcoming and fighting to get more refugees in not denying them.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.HappySilp View Post
There also others who came with no education and are a burden to the society. Just look at Europe. If the refugees are as good as you said all of the Europe countries should be welcoming and fighting to get more refugees in not denying them.
There are also people that are born here and are nothing but a burden on the government. Canada is the second largest country in the world With a population of 35.5 million and there is also a need for low skilled workers.
Old 11-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #94
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
A) The Syrians are not actually refugee's, they are migrants.

B) I wish I was a Syrian migrant so I could afford to return to Vancouver.

C) If we weren't on the other side of the planet accepting Syrian migrants would actually make sense.

D) Manic! you clearly have no concept of what it means to be objective or to provide an un-biased opinion. There will obviously be examples of immigrants and refugees who have both benefited the country and negatively impacted the country. Picking out three people and saying "LOOK, see???" means nothing.

Spoiler!
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #95
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Are you Syrias?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:17 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post

B) I wish I was a Syrian migrant so I could afford to return to Vancouver.
If a crackhead can live in Vancouver whats holding you back from living in Vancouver?
Old 11-11-2015, 02:17 PM   #97
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 5,403 Times in 858 Posts
Quote:
If a crackhead can live in Vancouver whats holding you back from living in Vancouver?
4444's posts.
Old 11-17-2015, 11:17 PM   #98
RS controls my life!

Quote:
There are also people that are born here and are nothing but a burden on the government. Canada is the second largest country in the world With a population of 35.5 million and there is also a need for low skilled workers.
You serious?

World's 50 Most Populous Countries: 2014
JDMStyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 11:23 PM   #99
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,381 Times in 3,907 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMStyo View Post
he meant 2nd largest in terms of land area...
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-18-2015, 12:20 AM   #100
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

For the past decade Canada has let in between 22,000 and 27,000 refugees every year and not one person in Canada for all I know has ever complained until now.

Canada's refugees by the numbers: the data - Canada - CBC News

Do you guys remember all those terrorist attacks we've had on our soil in the last ten years that were caused by the refugees?

Letting in 25,000 Syrians isn't a drastic jump in what our country has always done and the fear mongering I'm witnessing is outrageous. Fuck 9/11 happened and we let thousands in.
rslater is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by: