REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-11-2015, 09:11 AM   #1
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Bought a car with winters on - ride it out til spring or swap to summers still?

So I imported a car from the prairies which still has its winter tires on (with a good amount of tread left too) - I guess some of them never take them off? Given that it's presently mid-September, would it still be advisable to swap them to summer tires for a couple of months, or just ride it out until next spring? Driving over the next month and a half is going to suck, but so will changing tires three times in the next five months...
Advertisement
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:51 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,760 Times in 3,870 Posts
If you have a buddy that works at a shop that can do a seasonal swap for a 12 pack, then yes I'd do it. Otherwise just leave them. Since it came from the prairies I suggest you check and see if they are studded or not. Here you are not permitted studded tires
Old 09-11-2015, 09:52 AM   #3
mb_
WUB WUB WUB WUB WUB

Thanked 7,010 Times in 1,890 Posts
If you have another set of all seasons/summers already on wheels, I'd just swap them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowguy View Post
fuck you hipster
Quote:
Originally Posted by trollguy View Post
then fuck you hipster akinari
Quote:
[23-05, 11:34] FastAnna suck a dick ygay
mb_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 3,680 Times in 1,522 Posts
too much effort...fuckkit
"I have a lot of beliefs, and I live by none of them. They're just my beliefs, they make me feel good about who I am. But if they get in the way of a thing I want, like I wanna jack off or something, I just do that."
6o4__boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,169 Times in 7,158 Posts
Do you have a set of tires to swap onto the car already? I've never put my winters on before December in Van, so thats still a good 3-3.5 months. Tires are important. Like the most important thing on a car. Swap em out.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #6
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,382 Times in 3,908 Posts
swap em, supposedly we wont even see 0° this winter
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 08:02 PM   #7
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,586 Times in 4,318 Posts
Snow tires in 26* weather

If you have a set of A/S on rims, it literally take 15-20 minutes to swap them over.

I cringe when I see winter tires on cars in warm weather - such a waste.

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-11-2015, 09:08 PM   #8
MiX iT Up!

Thanked 2,066 Times in 865 Posts
+1 for swap. if you got a set for quick swap just spend the 90mins n do it yourself.

Sometimes we tend to be in despair when the person we love leaves us, but the truth is, it's not our loss, but theirs, for they left the only person who couldn't give up on them.

Make the effort and take the risk..

"Do what you feel in your heart to be right- for you'll be criticized anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't." - Eleanor Roosevelt
tiger_handheld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #9
Need my Daily Fix of RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 320icar View Post
If you have a buddy that works at a shop that can do a seasonal swap for a 12 pack, then yes I'd do it. Otherwise just leave them. Since it came from the prairies I suggest you check and see if they are studded or not. Here you are not permitted studded tires
This is an excerpt from BC Ministry of Transportation:

Studded tires
These tires may only be used on BC highways from October 1 to April 30, but must have mountain/snowflake or M+S symbols to be considered winter tires. Use of studded tires outside of this period may result in a fine.

Regulations limit tires to 130 studs each for vehicles weighing less than 4,600 kg, or 175 studs each for vehicles weighing more than 4,600 kg.

If you are using studded tires, you should have them on all four wheels for even traction.

About Winter Tires - Province of British Columbia
marksport is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-12-2015, 09:36 AM   #10
Meet on the Level and Part on the Square

Thanked 2,093 Times in 669 Posts
If you travel north at all for business, like I have to do, then it is almost time for winter tires on every highway north of the Lower Mainland. Leave them on. I'll be swapping my snowies over for Oct 1st
Zedbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:55 AM   #11
Ricer Mod

Thanked 5,276 Times in 1,501 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedbra View Post
If you travel north at all for business, like I have to do, then it is almost time for winter tires on every highway north of the Lower Mainland. Leave them on. I'll be swapping my snowies over for Oct 1st
We already had snow on our local ski hill last week. Snow on the ground here won't be to far off. I was hoping for a non snow Halloween but I don't think it's going to happen

As for OP, if all your doing is driving around Vancouver, swap the tires Maybe sell them or trade them for a set of all seasons.

Berz out.
Old 09-12-2015, 10:42 AM   #12
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Sounds like a good excuse to shop CL for rims & summers for the new ride to me... keep the winters on rims for when you need them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #13
2x Variable Nockenwellen Steuerung

Thanked 1,174 Times in 704 Posts
What kind of car and what is the tire size and specs? Do intend to swap just tires or rims + tires?

Winter is only a few months away, a month or 2 won't do much to winter tires as long as you don't WOT every chance you get.

Also since fall is here, summer / all seasons tend to go on sale now. I would get a spare set of rims and get one of those discounted sets (RFD has a calendar on when Costco's tires go on sale).. and swap them over come spring.. However it depends on what kind of winters you have now, are they modern winter tires which channel water better? or old school clunky winter tires.. also what are the age of the tires?
godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 AM   #14
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Good advice with thoughts on either side. It's a 1 year old RWD IS. Tread life is very good and tires are quite new. They are Blizzak LM-60s (http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Blizzak+LM-60) mounted on 18" rims, no studs. If I do swap, I will get a set of both tires + rims, likely 19" - I don't have the wheels yet, so it's not something I can do in a day or even within a week if I do decide to change them. I definitely do not plan on unmounting and mounting my tires 3 times over the course of the next few months. I suppose could do it myself, but I guess it's pretty cheap to just change the tires if they're already mounted at any shop - it's just a bit of a hassle going in so many times in a short period.

I'm leaning towards getting a proper set of summer tires since that's the prevailing advice / general consensus of most people. However, I do have another car that also has a dedicated set of snow tires, so it may be fiscally a wiser choice to just run all-seasons year round so I can sell the winters which are pretty new and in decent shape, and just not drive the IS when it snows.
svelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #15
Waxin’ Punks

Thanked 6,044 Times in 2,077 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by svelt View Post
I'm leaning towards getting a proper set of summer tires since that's the prevailing advice / general consensus of most people. However, I do have another car that also has a dedicated set of snow tires, so it may be fiscally a wiser choice to just run all-seasons year round so I can sell the winters which are pretty new and in decent shape, and just not drive the IS when it snows.
Well this is very relevant information that would have been useful in your original post. Sell the winters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG1 View Post
punkwax, I don't care what your friends say about you, you are gold!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemhg View Post
What do your farts sound like then?
punkwax is offline   Reply With Quote