REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > The John Norwich Riders Corner

The John Norwich Riders Corner In honour of our fellow moderator: John Norwich R.I.P. September 17th, 2014
Buy, sell, trade bikes and gear, set up bike rallies, meet discussions. #revscenebikes

Old 09-11-2015, 10:10 AM   #1
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 3,242 Times in 861 Posts
Radiomans headache

So I just wanted to stop cluttering the other thread.

It's starting to sound like they really dont want to repair the bike. I've now learned that the beacon policy was only for 5k for some reason. The broker who transferred my old policy from my SV to this one completely dropped the ball here. I never once said it was worth 5k. Market value puts it around 6-6500.

They keep saying salvage is around $1000 for the bike. This means We've got a window of 3000-3500 in repairs before they decide to just pay it out I'm guessing.

Here are some better photos of damage. I dont see $3500 in repairs. Maybe I'm just inexperienced in bike costs. One thing I didn't notice before was a small dent in the tank. I know the tank is about 1300 new so this could be an issue.

Also just want to say thanks for all the feedback you guys have given me over the past week, appreciate it.

Tank dent;
Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Advertisement
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:18 AM   #2
RS.net, helping ugly ppl have sex since 2001

Thanked 14,743 Times in 3,864 Posts
So your saying if it's written off, beacon will pay you a max of $5000? I'm also confused because you have to have basic icbc insurance as well, so if the crash is deemed not your fault like you said, shouldn't icbc pay you the fair market price for your bike anyways?? Beacon is extra insurance on top yea, but icbc should still cover not fault accidents yes?

The way I thought it was, icbc would give you their pay out and beacon would go on top to cover the rest. But I am probably wrong f

Last edited by 320icar; 09-11-2015 at 10:28 AM.
320icar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #3

The ICBC adjusters is away for a few days, I was trying to ask those questions to her.

I might have to go back to the broker who transferred the plan and ask why he chose 5k. His E&O insurance might have to come into play if I can prove he made an error.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:54 AM   #4
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,322 Posts
Would you not have signed something that showed that the policy was only for $5,000? I think you're going to have a real hard time fighting that aspect of it if the claim is through them.

It's strange they never asked you, I deal with Megson Fitspatrick but every year I renew over the phone and they ask me what the value is then they follow it up with paper work which shows the amount. If there was a problem with the declared value I'd know right away.

“The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place... and I don´t care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently, if you let it. You, me or nobody, is gonna hit as hard as life. But ain't about how hard you hit... It's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward... how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That´s how winning is done. Now, if you know what you worth, go out and get what you worth.” - Rocky Balboa
quasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #5

long story short the original broker who I dealt with left the agency I went through. Spoke with some other guy who helped me. I told him exactly what I wanted done, transfer the plan and the bike was worth arounf 6500. I never signed anything and had to call him several times to ask wtf was going on. Then I get into the accident and etc.
Old 09-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #6

Bike is a total loss. $6,200 in damages. Salvage cost is about $1200-1500.

There was a scratch in the frame which = $1800 for a new frame. Great.

I wouldn't mind this if they gave me market value (which they told me is 7100). But instead I'm getting 5k because the agent who sold the policy decided that was the amount to go with.

Headache increasing.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:04 PM   #7
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,051 Times in 265 Posts
Wait so is that how Beacon works? The declared value is the maximum and not based off actual replacement values? Shit dude. Hoping for the best!

2007 Ducati SportClassic SE #72/100
1979 Honda CB 750 Café-Fighter
2008 Yamaha R6 (Track)
bananana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #8

Since my question didn't get answered, but wouldn't icbc cover it as an accident, then beacon pay on top? That is if icbc deemed it not your fault and it was a write off
Old 09-14-2015, 05:23 PM   #9
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,438 Times in 4,279 Posts
radioman - Sorry about the accident and the outcome of this debacle. I hope there is a happy ending to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananana View Post
Wait so is that how Beacon works? The declared value is the maximum and not based off actual replacement values? Shit dude. Hoping for the best!
I believe this is how it Beacon works. I recall getting Beacon from Cassell's and they wanted you to be very sure of the declared value and to keep any and all receipts for mods etc.

I could be very wrong as I have not owned a bike for quite some time.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-14-2015, 05:30 PM   #10
I am Hook'd on RS

They use agreed upon value, which is a good thing for you, as long as you value your bike properly when you get your insurance. See what's the highest value they'll take before not allowing it/raising your premium.

I pay $318 for a year of comprehensive/theft/gear and a high agreed upon value. ICBC's equivalent, which covers much less, costs over $1700 a year.
franko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:43 PM   #11
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Beacon would only allow me to declare the value of my Vino 125 at the price I paid for it or the retail book value, whatever is greater. They told me I could raise the declared value of the bike if I submitted receipts of work I did to the bike and that's it.

That could be one potential downside with Beacon, but I think the main problem is the brokers. I went in back in May to cancel my coverage for my CBR 125R when I sold it, only to find out earlier this month that they did not cancel my coverage. No big deal as I just simply transferred the coverage over to my Vino, which I should check if they actually did, but it would've been a big deal if I wasn't.

Did you happen to deal with a popular Beacon broker on Broadway?
DKaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 05:55 PM   #12

No I did not deal with Cassels. This was me trying to swap the coverage quickly and this individual dropped the ball.

I'll be giving them a call and trying to figure this shit out. I want my 1700 so I can but the bike back, fix it, and move on. I don't care about a scratch on the frame. I'll share a photo later of it.
Old 09-14-2015, 06:44 PM   #13
What hasn't Killed me, has made me more tolerant of RS!

Go to them with your transfer form with the amount you paid, or look up the book value of the bike. The coverage should be the greater of the two.
DKaz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 06:59 PM   #14
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 1,314 Times in 540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
No I did not deal with Cassels. This was me trying to swap the coverage quickly and this individual dropped the ball.

I'll be giving them a call and trying to figure this shit out. I want my 1700 so I can but the bike back, fix it, and move on. I don't care about a scratch on the frame. I'll share a photo later of it.
It's been a while since I've been an insurance broker but the brokers and brokerages are licensed and governed by the Insurance Council of BC. If you think they're at fault causing you inadequate or lapse in coverage, and they're not willing to rectify the error, you can report them to the Council for disciplinary measures (which pretty much means either fines or suspension of licenses).

I've never actually gone through process of a complaint, or filing a complaint during my time as a broker (thank goodness for that), so I can't be of any help on the proper procedures but a quick 30 sec googling got me this:

Insurance Council of BC - Problems with a licensee

Here's a link that shows current disciplinary decisions against "licensees (what they call brokers or brokerages)" which I guess is a good sign that the Insurance Council very active in regulating they're licensees.

Insurance Council of BC - Council Disciplinary Decisions
Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir View Post
It's been a while since I've been an insurance broker but the brokers and brokerages are licensed and governed by the Insurance Council of BC. If you think they're at fault causing you inadequate or lapse in coverage, and they're not willing to rectify the error, you can report them to the Council for disciplinary measures (which pretty much means either fines or suspension of licenses).

I've never actually gone through process of a complaint, or filing a complaint during my time as a broker (thank goodness for that), so I can't be of any help on the proper procedures but a quick 30 sec googling got me this:

Insurance Council of BC - Problems with a licensee

Here's a link that shows current disciplinary decisions against "licensees (what they call brokers or brokerages)" which I guess is a good sign that the Insurance Council very active in regulating they're licensees.

Insurance Council of BC - Council Disciplinary Decisions
I currently hold a license with council on the individual side and work for one of canadas largest MGA's. I don't deal with general insurance (car/house etc) but I'm well versed in dealing with council in matters of disciplinary actions.

I'm going to be having a discussion with the agency and will eventually have to deal with a dispute. The agent has E&O insurance for a reason and it wont be and sweat off his back if he needs to fork over $1700.

Plain and simple beacon tells me market value is 7100 thats what the policy should have been for regardless of what I paid.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #16
?NR
MonoPod 1 of 3

Thanked 1,024 Times in 444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by radioman View Post
Bike is a total loss. $6,200 in damages. Salvage cost is about $1200-1500.

There was a scratch in the frame which = $1800 for a new frame. Great.

I wouldn't mind this if they gave me market value (which they told me is 7100). But instead I'm getting 5k because the agent who sold the policy decided that was the amount to go with.

Headache increasing.
Sorry to hear about this. Both with the loss as well as the insurance nightmare.
?NR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:39 AM   #17
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Any updates?
qhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:14 AM   #18

I got notice from ICBC that the other party is in fact at fault!

As far as the value of the bike and getting my money back I've contacted the agency who issued the policy and they're trying to see what they can do.

I have the bike currently because I was running out of tow fee coverage. I keep looking at the bike and dont know if its worth buying it back and fixing. I think if I get the money I want from beacon I'll take it to a shop and see what they think.
Old 09-18-2015, 12:49 PM   #19
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

If the other party is at fault shouldn't icbc be paying out for your bike?
qhey is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2015, 01:54 PM   #20

That's what I kept asking but haven't gotten a response on that, twice lol
Old 09-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #21

Trust me you're not the only one waiting for that response LOL
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2015, 02:29 PM   #22
Pull Out Towing. Women rescued for free.

Thanked 2,414 Times in 1,283 Posts
I spoke to my friend, who use to rebuild ICBC write offs, about this issue and he said there is no money in doing that with bikes now.
You may be better off taking what the insurance pay out is and walking away from that bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu1413 View Post
and icing on the cake, lady driving a newer chrysler 200 infront of me... jumped out of her car, dropped her pants, did an immediate squat and did probably the longest public relief ever...... steam and all.

(11-0-0) Buy/Sell rating
Christine
Shitvic
Pull Out Towing
SumAznGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 07:39 PM   #23

Some of the assessed repair costs confuse me. Inner tube $400+other parts associated.... The front forks weren't even touched. I'm sure there's other stuff on there.

Gotta take it to a shop and see.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Spoiler!
Old 09-28-2015, 02:37 PM   #24
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Jesus a $30 o ring
About kkthind: [22-12, 22:55] ts14 hes so white that if he was a cop, he would beat ts14 for beinng surrey
kross9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:39 PM   #25

So beacon says if I prove it should be a higher payout they will pay that amount. I've shown receipts for up to $6600. Waiting to hear back.

Took it the imperial for them to take a look at it. They said its not worth the fix. I will not be buying it back from them.

Time to look for a street triple for next season.