REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Wunder? Wonder?? Wander???

Anyone using Telus 25 internet?

So I recently switched to Telus 25. The speed is a joke compared to Shaw 25 I had been using in the past. On speedtest.net I'm getting 1.93 Mbps download speed and 1.74 Mbps upload speed.

I'm on Port Coquitlam and there's supposed to be fiber optics too in my area according to the agent I spoke to.
Advertisement
frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #2
I HERP TO YOU DERP

there's optic only if your house has fibre as well..

there could be a number of factors that affect your speed: wifi interference being one of them...

if the speed you posted is what you get by directly connecting to the modem then I would suggest you to call the service repair and have someone check on site what's going on
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 08:53 PM   #3
Even when im right, revscene.net is still right!

Yea I was on Telus 25 and on speed test I was consistently getting around 24/10 for DL/UL. It could be the wires in your house but it also could be the actually connection going from your house to the utility pole that's corroded, that happened to me before and my internet was getting cut off randomly
Bring some RS people with you to help u GANG BANG the guy!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Selanne_200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:59 PM   #4
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 1,149 Times in 388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypediss View Post
there's optic only if your house has fibre as well..

there could be a number of factors that affect your speed: wifi interference being one of them...

if the speed you posted is what you get by directly connecting to the modem then I would suggest you to call the service repair and have someone check on site what's going on
That's incorrect about the fibre. If you're in a new building or development you may have optic cable right to your house. Most areas have fibre running to the SAC boxes in your neighborhood. The copper pairs running to your house can handle ~40-50 Mbps for the shorter (<400m) run to your house.

If you've got an old drop from your house to the pole, the casing may have developed cracks and allowed moisture in. The installation and repair guys I used to know were always busy when the weather changed for the wetter.

If that's the speed you're getting on speed test with a wired connection to the router, there's definitely something wrong. The residential repair call centre is 24/7, but the dispatched techs are not.
Mikoyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 10:56 PM   #5
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 9,817 Times in 3,901 Posts

I'm in a low rise not far from BCTEL building...consistently better than advertised rates
my family in a detached home in east van also gets better than advertised on Telus 50
i'd say something is up with your connection

Last edited by twitchyzero; 09-12-2015 at 11:01 PM.
twitchyzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:11 PM   #6
I HERP TO YOU DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikoyan View Post
That's incorrect about the fibre. If you're in a new building or development you may have optic cable right to your house. Most areas have fibre running to the SAC boxes in your neighborhood. The copper pairs running to your house can handle ~40-50 Mbps for the shorter (<400m) run to your house.

If you've got an old drop from your house to the pole, the casing may have developed cracks and allowed moisture in. The installation and repair guys I used to know were always busy when the weather changed for the wetter.

If that's the speed you're getting on speed test with a wired connection to the router, there's definitely something wrong. The residential repair call centre is 24/7, but the dispatched techs are not.

I was assuming he's living in a SFH - forgot to state that fact.
hypediss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 11:29 PM   #7
HELP ME PLS!!!

detached home in south central van.

never any issues with telus.

*its not the size of your army that matters; it's the fury of it's onslaught!*

█♣█
carisear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 12:14 AM   #8
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,841 Times in 386 Posts

Condo in South Burnaby.
k3lv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 01:43 AM   #9
Throw yo paws in da air!

Thanked 2,778 Times in 956 Posts
detached house in burquitlam

Proud member of GRAPE Great Revscene Action Photography Enthusiasts

2008 Infiniti M45X - Y50 (Current)
2000 Honda Prelude SH (Sold)
1995 Dodge Spirit (Sold)
1998 Nissan Maxima SE (Sold)
1996 Honda Prelude SR-V (Sold)
XplicitLuder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:00 AM   #10

My speed this morning appears to be fine. I'll keep observing to see what may be causing the unstability. My desktop is in another room connected using a wifi usb stick. This morning on my desk I got 22.56 down and 2.13 up, still not good compared to what you guys are getting but I tested it again on my cellphone's wifi right next to the router and I got 26.25 down and 7.11 up.

I suppose it's most likely due to weaker wifi signal on my desktop in the other room but on Shaw it was consistently much better. Shaw's box also seemed a lot more advanced though so the signal strength may have been better.

Should I get something like this?

http://www.amazon.ca/TP-LINK-TL-WN82...=wifi+extender

or this that will help boost signal for all computers?

http://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-N300-Wi...=wifi+extender

Update: decided to upgrade to Internet 50 which comes with a free wifi booster, so see if that will help stabilize the speed. I'm on a promotion now with 50% off for first 6 months so it's only additional $10 per month and I still get to keep wifi booster even after reverting back to 25 later.

Last edited by frozen; 09-13-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:02 AM   #11
GC8
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Thanked 1,146 Times in 121 Posts
OP you can check what your modem/router is currently connected at I am guessing you are on DSL? 192.168.1.254 login and check status look at downstream rate.

You would have huge issues if it said 2mb which I highly doubt it is
also dont tell you me are running speedtest on wireless that also may not be accurate.

*just saw you latest post*
WIFI and your internet connection are two separate things *I have to tell this to people everyday*. Both shaw and telus offer free wifi but they can only guarantee the hardwire connection. If shaw was indeed better you can go back to shaw. But you are more than welcome too get your own high end router it will help wifi.
If you have newer hardware that supports 5g getting a dualband router will help maintain higher speeds on wireless. Downside of 5G is range isnt as good as 2.4g
GC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-13-2015, 11:42 AM   #12
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frozen View Post
My speed this morning appears to be fine. I'll keep observing to see what may be causing the unstability. My desktop is in another room connected using a wifi usb stick. This morning on my desk I got 22.56 down and 2.13 up, still not good compared to what you guys are getting but I tested it again on my cellphone's wifi right next to the router and I got 26.25 down and 7.11 up.

I suppose it's most likely due to weaker wifi signal on my desktop in the other room but on Shaw it was consistently much better. Shaw's box also seemed a lot more advanced though so the signal strength may have been better.

Should I get something like this?

http://www.amazon.ca/TP-LINK-TL-WN82...=wifi+extender

or this that will help boost signal for all computers?

http://www.amazon.ca/NETGEAR-N300-Wi...=wifi+extender

Update: decided to upgrade to Internet 50 which comes with a free wifi booster, so see if that will help stabilize the speed. I'm on a promotion now with 50% off for first 6 months so it's only additional $10 per month and I still get to keep wifi booster even after reverting back to 25 later.
try out a power line adapter from tp-link instead.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 06:17 PM   #13
"They call me Bowser...RawR!"

Don't bother with Optik 50 if you don't need the extra speed. Not worth the extra cost for the wifi booster. Get some Ubiquiti access points. 3 were enough to cover the house and the seemless roaming between access points is tits. You can be on a wifi call or watching youtube and walk throughout the house without disonnection.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:43 PM   #14

Wifi booster is free for Internet 50, which is the reason I'm willing to see if it's really the issue with the signal strength. The good thing is that I still get to keep wifi booster even after I revert back to Internet 25. I'm not too tech savvy in this sense so I have limited knowledge of what solutions are available to me at reasonable costs. I'm really hoping that it's just the issue with Telus router not being as good as Shaw's thus the low speed.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:53 PM   #15
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Detached house by BCIT

Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:59 PM   #16
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
5 ping....fiber optic internet for sure.
Old 09-14-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
Rs has made me the man i am today!

I switched from Shaw to Telus Fibre last month

100% happy

I was getting about 1-2 dropped connections with Shaw daily, but so far zero dropped connections with Telus since install
EndLeSS8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:58 AM   #18
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Also on Telus 25, never have any speed issues, never any drops. Consistent 25-26mbps.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 09:36 AM   #19
VAC Head Rotang Mod

Thanked 1,427 Times in 627 Posts
if you're at all concerned about connection stability/speed i would recommend avoiding wifi entirely, or get 5G at the very least.

even in detached homes it can be a problem. you're at the mercy of the surrounding environment..

if you can't have the modem anywhere near your computer or you have multiple and don't want to run cables, look into powerline ethernet adapters. i think i saw it mentioned above. i've heard good reviews, and as long as you're not trying to push Gigabit LAN speeds through it, you should be fine.

i used to be tech support for shaw, and we had to deal with wifi issues all the time, as i'm sure telus does as well.

the AC modems helped a lot. even for my self, i live in a condo and could see 15+ networks on 2.4GHz, it was unusable. no problems since, on 5GHz.

all my desktops are hardwired though.

i have BB100 with shaw, and the speedtest shows like 110-115 routinely. shitty side of shaw is the terrible upload speed. 5mbps.

My Feedback (10-0-0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fei-Ji View Post
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Raid3n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:50 AM   #20
Say! Say! Say!

Thanked 3,215 Times in 1,398 Posts
Detached house near BCIT

This is in my room via WiFi on my laptop with Wireless N 2.4GHz

Main router is located downstairs and connects to a secondary router (the one I am connected to) in my room via Powerline.
Originally Posted by 89blkcivic View Post
Did I tell you guys black is my favourite colour? My Ridgeline is black. My Honda Fit is black. Wish my dick was black........ LOL.
Razor Ramon HG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:00 PM   #21
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

I'm on Internet 50. Using the wireless from an Asus RT-AC68u instead of the built in wireless on the Actiontec modem they give you. I did a comparison from hard wired, wireless on 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. This is also a detached house in East Vancouver. This is with no other computers doing any significant downloads and none of my TV's turned on.

Hardwired to switch that is connected to Actiontec router:

2.4Ghz wireless:

5Ghz wireless:

Not a whole lot of difference with the wireless speeds although I do recall it topping out at around 30Mbps when I first had it installed with the same wireless. (but I believe TV might have been turned on at the time)
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #22
I subscribe to Revscene

north Burnaby
DA9ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #23

Thanks all for your inputs. Much appreciated.

Telus tech came to install Internet 50. I asked him to do some testings as well. He suspected there might be something wrong with Telus modem while testing. He went ahead and replaced the modem and after that, he was able to get a download speed using wifi from my computer room at about 20 Mb/s. I still went ahead and asked him to install internet 50 with wifi booster. Now I have 2.4G and 5G options. On 5G, I'm consistently getting 50 Mb/s. Maybe down the road, I will just revert back to internet 25 as 50 Mb/s is really an overkill for me.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:23 PM   #24
MOD

Thanked 7,553 Times in 1,957 Posts

Gh0stRider's Buy & Sell Feedback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieH View Post
whole time i thought gh0strider was white lol

Gh0stRider is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-15-2015, 05:51 AM   #25
ESKETIT

Thanked 9,647 Times in 2,303 Posts
Internet 25 East Van

looks like all us Internet 25 ppl have very similar pings lol

Last edited by Vansterdam; 09-15-2015 at 05:56 AM.
Vansterdam is offline   Reply With Quote