REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 09-14-2015, 09:45 PM   #1
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Nexus Card

Hi there

If my girl friend and me both have Nexus card, can we use the Nexus card for the trip from Vancouver to Los Angeles next week at YVR ??

I never use Nexus air to travel to USA by Air so please kindly bear with my ignorance.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
Advertisement
Old 09-14-2015, 10:56 PM   #2
RS Veteran

Thanked 10,496 Times in 4,303 Posts
Yes, you can both use your Nexus at YVR. Make sure you bring your passport to clear US Customs as it is required.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
bcrdukes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:03 PM   #3
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanks for your prompt reply. May I know when we use Nexus at YVR, is it using scanner to scan our eyes (biomatric) for authencications or just simply use the Nexus card ?

Please kindly advise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrdukes View Post
Yes, you can both use your Nexus at YVR. Make sure you bring your passport to clear US Customs as it is required.
Old 09-14-2015, 11:46 PM   #4
not the mod you're looking for

Thanked 1,536 Times in 556 Posts
Part of using the Nexus card at the airport is using the eye scanner. Make sure you're not wearing contacts! I learned the hard way
FN-2199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:22 AM   #5
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomcse2002 View Post
Thanks for your prompt reply. May I know when we use Nexus at YVR, is it using scanner to scan our eyes (biomatric) for authencications or just simply use the Nexus card ?

Please kindly advise.
When clearing US Customs (going to the US) you will need to scan your passport as well as provide finger print scan. The machine will also take a live photo capture, so look into the camera. It will ask you some questions and then spit out a receipt to which you see the officer.

Coming back into Canada is when you use the iris biometric scanner. You will need to slide your card into the reader then follow the prompts on the screen. I can't speak for people who wear contacts, but I wear my glasses and the trick is to stand close to the camera until you see the green squares/boxes and you're set. Your mileage may vary but I have not had a problem with over 20 flights this year.

Her car even smelled nice. Like a mixture of luxury perfume and a hint of….. vag ? Fish sauce ? Something a bit dank
Old 09-15-2015, 02:22 AM   #6
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
In addition to what the others have already said, your Nexus card also allows you to fastrack yourself through security. You'd still have to line up for the X-ray / body scanner check, but before that, there is almost always a line up that leads up to the boarding pass holder only area, and you can bypass that first line up with your Nexus card.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,339 Times in 969 Posts
not all US airports have nexus. They have a new program now called Clear and even their card is clear.

Still go to the airports early, only a hand full of nexus cards are allowed in the cities of US.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 08:39 AM   #8
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Passport?

Have never needed to use my passport after getting the Nexus card. Still carry it, just in case, just haven't ever had to use it.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:24 PM   #9
Rs has made me the man i am today!

Thanked 1,053 Times in 595 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCA-Dave View Post
Passport?

Have never needed to use my passport after getting the Nexus card. Still carry it, just in case, just haven't ever had to use it.

-Dave
Even when flying? Every time I fly out and go through the Nexus line to the US booth, the electronic kiosk always asks to scan my passport. Am I missing something?
m3thods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:27 PM   #10
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3thods View Post
Even when flying? Every time I fly out and go through the Nexus line to the US booth, the electronic kiosk always asks to scan my passport. Am I missing something?
My mom doesn't even have a valid passport but gets across at border crossings with her nexus card just fine.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 09-15-2015, 12:29 PM   #11
Hypa owned my ass at least once

Thanked 6,288 Times in 2,506 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidish View Post
My mom doesn't even have a valid passport but gets across at border crossings with her nexus card just fine.
Even with flying? I am very surprised that works.

For land crossings, I am 100% certain that you don't even need to have a passport (as long as you have Nexus). I think the same holds true for sea crossings as well.
Traum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 12:44 PM   #12
RS Veteran

For land crossings, it's okay, but they have every right to ask you for it, so your mileage may vary.

For air travel into the US, you must have it.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #13
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Nexus Card

I'm so glad someone asked this. I was trying to find the answer on their website but couldn't find anything as I'm flying to New Orleans tomorrow.

I've always just used nexus without passport for land crossings but always wondered what the procedure was for air crossings
thegentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 02:52 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pidish View Post
Assuming you're answering my direct quote, I'm not sure how she can get past the electronic kiosks without a passport. I know you don't need a pp when crossing the land borders.

I always have my pp with me when traveling by air so I never thought about it. But if she's able to get by without having her pp on her, then I'd think about leaving it at home for short trips as it's one less thing to lose.
Old 09-15-2015, 03:00 PM   #15
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegentleman View Post
I'm so glad someone asked this. I was trying to find the answer on their website but couldn't find anything as I'm flying to New Orleans tomorrow.

I've always just used nexus without passport for land crossings but always wondered what the procedure was for air crossings
My rule of thumb is when traveling by air is to always bring your passport with you - Nothing can ever replace this.

Nexus, while useful, is not necessarily recognized by all airports, especially airports that do not participate in GOES/Nexus etc.

My personal experience is to always bring a passport regardless of method of travel. Better safe than sorry. Happy and safe travels in New Orleans!

Old 09-15-2015, 09:07 PM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Thanked 2,300 Times in 556 Posts
Quote:
Yes, even when flying. When the electronic kiosk ask you to scan your passport, you simply place your nexus card on the reader. I always have my passport, but I never pull it out of my bag. Fly and/or cross anywhere from 1-5 times a month.

-Dave
CCA-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-16-2015, 12:26 PM   #17

Quote:
Yes, even when flying. When the electronic kiosk ask you to scan your passport, you simply place your nexus card on the reader. I always have my passport, but I never pull it out of my bag. Fly and/or cross anywhere from 1-5 times a month.

-Dave
Thanks for clarifying. Very interesting that they'd ask for passport specifically then.
Old 09-17-2015, 10:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Quote:

-Dave
I was able to shave off about half an hour or so of waiting to get into security and another half hour inside of security with nexus. Although I didn't know when at the electronic nexus kiosk I was suppose to scan my card instead of passport. So I went into regular line but could've shaved off another 15 min. I'm pretty sure I would've missed my flight if I didn't have my nexus.
Old 09-17-2015, 02:57 PM   #19
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegentleman View Post
Although I didn't know when at the electronic nexus kiosk I was suppose to scan my card instead of passport.
I was not aware of this going into the US. I always thought you had to scan your passport.

I'll try it next week and follow up accordingly.

Old 09-17-2015, 03:07 PM   #20
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
I've always only scanned my Nexus card at the kiosk.
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2015, 09:34 PM   #21

Just so we're all on the same page, when you all say "kiosk" do you mean the Global Entry ones on the way to US customs? Or do you mean the nexus kiosks just before Canadian customs?
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 PM   #22

I was referring to the global entry one on the way to US customs.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2015, 08:03 AM   #23
I subscribe to the Revscene NWS thread(s)

They recently changed the Nexus machines on the US Customs side (well recent as in the last year or so), so that you MUST use your passport. Prior to that, the older machines didn't require you to actually place your NEXUS card or passport on the machine and relied solely on your iris scan.

Coming back into Canada, you need your card but they don't ask for your passport. That too seems like something fairly new (also within the last year) as we used to just do iris scan there too. Also, if you're coming in late at night, sometimes the NEXUS terminals are offline and you'll have to get into the regular line. It'll be a lot faster if you have your passport so you can use the automated booths there as well. (I'm hoping though that the manned booths can process a NEXUS card though)

Never tried the Global Entry at US airports yet. I'd suspect you'd need passport for that though.

Clear is actually something else and doesn't have to do with crossing any borders. It's just an "express line" for the security checkpoints at US airports. Probably only useful if you live in the US and frequently fly domestically.

Most airports without any NEXUS facilities won't take the NEXUS card as a form of ID. (for example, I couldn't use it at BLI to pass security) Always bring it when you fly.
syee is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2015, 08:50 AM   #24
RS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by syee View Post
They recently changed the Nexus machines on the US Customs side (well recent as in the last year or so), so that you MUST use your passport. Prior to that, the older machines didn't require you to actually place your NEXUS card or passport on the machine and relied solely on your iris scan.
This is exactly what I'm used to doing - using the passport on the US Customs side. Before, you could use the card, but not anymore. You must have your passport and it's been a while since they changed it.

This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2015, 04:32 PM   #25
private modder

Thanked 2,645 Times in 739 Posts
Nexus is an approved travel document by US CBP and can be used instead of a passport.

Quote:
All Canadian Citizens entering the United States by AIR are required to present a valid passport, or a NEXUS card when departing from a designated Canadian airport.

By Land and Sea (including ferries) - Canadian citizens traveling to the U.S. by land or sea are required to present one of the travel documents listed below, and may generally visit the U.S. for up to six months. CBP will accept: Canadian passport, Enhanced Driver's License/Enhanced Identification Card, NEXUS, FAST/EXPRES and SENTRI enrollment cards.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...-residents-%2F

However I have read many many stories of AIRLINE STAFF not accepting Nexus as valid ID for the flight. They want a valid passport.

So rule of thumb: Bring the passport.
Eff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote