REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics

Computer Tech, Gaming & Electronics THIS SPACE OPEN FOR ADVERTISEMENT. YOU SHOULD BE ADVERTISING HERE!
Silicon Valley.
Tips & tricks, tech support, home theatre, online gaming, reviews, latest news...

Old 09-16-2015, 06:26 AM   #1
I have named my kids VIC and VLS

Thanked 14,312 Times in 5,633 Posts
Steam/Origin account security warning

Just a heads up for you guys with origin/steam accounts, you should probably turn on the authentication etc. for your account to avoid big time headaches like I just did.

Hadn't logged into my origin account for a few months, tried to yesterday and every password/login I tried didn't work, thought hmm..weird

Phoned in used old PayPal payment records etc to finally find my old account t with all the games on it. Bunch of headaches to verify my identity etc, ok fine

Then I get back into my account and it was obviously hacked/benign used by some Russian guy, all my info was changed to Russian, even the security questions were changed and in Russian so it was very hard to figure out what they were asking as you could not copy and paste them

Funny thing is, the guy was obviously playing my BF4 account because it was leveled up quite a bit and all the guns were in the typical blue/White Russian camo lol

So agin had to phone in, have them reset my security questions, and Finally I've secured it.

Big headache though and I had about $600 worth of games attached to my origin account, so I'm glad to get it back

Just a little heads up for you guys
Advertisement
Old 09-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #2
It's like going crazy when you're already nuts

Thanked 2,902 Times in 749 Posts
Happened to me a few months back too. Russian hacker as well. What a pain in the ass. Had to call Origin for identity verification etc and I guess I caught them at a busy time. Was on hold for something like 45 minutes IIRC
Old 09-16-2015, 09:24 AM   #3

Also make sure that your email associated with your account t is secure and you know the password, otherwise it seems like you'd be SOL.

Kinda odd because I'm pretty certain the account was just hacked and not my email, so obviously there was a loop hole or somthing
Old 09-16-2015, 10:09 AM   #4
Hacked RS to become a mod

Thanked 23,808 Times in 8,185 Posts
Changing passwords now, using a manager. Kind of a PITA but oh well.
SkinnyPupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 1,275 Times in 434 Posts
Same here, I try to make sure I have 2 factor auth as well as a generated password from my password manager. Only time it really sucks is when I have to login via mobile. But aside form that I just copy/paste from Dashlane.

Would hate to see my Steam account hijacked/stolen.
ForbiddenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #6
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Interesting you posted this.

I got an email at 12am the other night that my password had been reset by EA. I went in and changed it again, but noticed that my ID had changed to "player_gkdhl" or something similar. I go to change my ID back, and of course my security question no longer works as the answer has been changed.

I don't purchase games through them at all, was only used to sign up for betas and such on Consoles.

I guess I should give them a call and get everything reset. Annoying.

EDIT: What number did you call them at? Not finding much on the website for a phone number to call.
91civicZC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #7

You have to go through their "contact us" page and request them to call you.

Also one more thing I'll add which is kind of a joke on EA's side, all my purchased games were bought either digitally from EA or digitally through origin. All using PayPal instead of my visa. I had all the invoices saved from PayPal, however, those invoices do not provide you with your "game code" which you activate your stupid game with

So that's another thing they ask you to authenticate/locate your account, however it seems if you purchased the digital download, you don't have those codes in any records..
Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 PM   #8
I only answer to my username, my real name is Irrelevant!

Thanked 10,380 Times in 3,906 Posts
Had our origin account hacked by a Russian as well, a couple months ago, guy changed the user Id even, took a few mins to get back, and then added the increased authentication/security measures, was more concerned about my CC info, but I hadn't noticed any shenanigans there
StylinRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 01:19 PM   #9
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 2,595 Times in 922 Posts
false alarm. the other games showing on my account were demo's that i downloaded on console. didnt know they would show up like that.

Last edited by Gucci Mane; 09-19-2015 at 01:31 PM.
Gucci Mane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:28 PM   #10
RS Licensed Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondaracer View Post
Just a heads up for you guys with origin/steam accounts, you should probably turn on the authentication etc. for your account to avoid big time headaches like I just did.

Hadn't logged into my origin account for a few months, tried to yesterday and every password/login I tried didn't work, thought hmm..weird

Phoned in used old PayPal payment records etc to finally find my old account t with all the games on it. Bunch of headaches to verify my identity etc, ok fine

Then I get back into my account and it was obviously hacked/benign used by some Russian guy, all my info was changed to Russian, even the security questions were changed and in Russian so it was very hard to figure out what they were asking as you could not copy and paste them

Funny thing is, the guy was obviously playing my BF4 account because it was leveled up quite a bit and all the guns were in the typical blue/White Russian camo lol

So agin had to phone in, have them reset my security questions, and Finally I've secured it.

Big headache though and I had about $600 worth of games attached to my origin account, so I'm glad to get it back

Just a little heads up for you guys
Happened to me about 6-8 months ago. They hacked my account, I somehow ended up with more games too. Was Russian too.
#8-2900 Smith St
Richmond, BC

sales@bpgautosound.com
Cman333 is offline   Reply With Quote