REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 09-18-2015, 08:27 AM   #1
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 1,276 Times in 308 Posts
EPA Says Diesel VWs Had Software That Allowed Them to Cheat Emissions Tests

EPA Says Diesel VWs Had Software That Allowed Them to Cheat Emissions Tests

Quote:
The VW Group is coming under scrutiny from the EPA for equipping 482,000 diesel cars from 2009 until 2015 with software that would only have the cars meet emissions regulations when they were being tested.

When the cars were not in a test environment, the EPA says that the device was turned off and the cars are producing 40 times the pollution they were during the tests when being used on the roads.​ The defeat device is not something that was described by VW to the EPA before the cars went on sale, which is another violation. Apparently, the device had two modes, with one mode that would detect when the car was being tested and restrict the emissions, and another that detected road driving and would have the car producing far more emissions than during emissions testing.

The EPA says VW admitted that the device existed when they were threatened with not being allowed to sell 2016 model year diesels in the US.

Here are the cars impacted:

This could result in an $18 billion fine for the automaker. The EPA is ordering all the cars to be recalled.
Been researching VW oil burners for a few weeks before I saw this today. Wow...
Advertisement
IMASA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:44 AM   #2
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,388 Posts
Well someone's getting fired. Or jailed.
[13-03, 11:25] MG1 when you hit the brakes, it shoots cum at pedestrian - bukkake

[12-03, 19:06] meme405 That e30 is so mexiflushed I thought we were in albuquerque

[12-03, 23:03] rb when i see a modded element. I have nothing but respect. either the parents kicked him out or the guy is killing hookers in the back
Akinari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 09:04 AM   #3
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
So that makes me one of those coal-burning, environment-killing motherfuckers...
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-18-2015, 02:25 PM   #4
Zombie Mod

Thanked 5,169 Times in 1,551 Posts
Good thing Aircare is done. What would VW do? They'd have to remove the cheat, and then the cars will pass, but probably run like SHIT.
Old 09-18-2015, 02:51 PM   #5
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,022 Times in 450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akinari View Post
Well someone's getting fired. Or jailed.
If they put custom software on it, it means they know about it and was patching things up to bring it to market.

Similar to how Hyundai was cheating mileage claims, the cost for the fines are probably factored in and they decided that it was cheaper to pay the penalties.

Nobody's going to jail.
Spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-19-2015, 01:46 AM   #6
RS has made me the bitter person i am today!

Thanked 2,746 Times in 1,179 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
If they put custom software on it, it means they know about it and was patching things up to bring it to market.

Similar to how Hyundai was cheating mileage claims, the cost for the fines are probably factored in and they decided that it was cheaper to pay the penalties.

Nobody's going to jail.
Although I doubt anyone is going to jail, but I think EPA should be more harsh in this case to prevent manufacturers to cheat in the future.

According to US law today, EPA can fine VW around 18 billion USD if they choose to. If I were the head of EPA, I wouldn't want to go easy on this one; slap a fat ticket plus the cost of recalling all vehicles.
Old 09-19-2015, 06:28 AM   #7
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
The cost of recalling the vehicles is likely well under $100M considering no physical parts need to be replaced.

EPA should lay the banhammer down.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 09:03 AM   #8

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac View Post
The cost of recalling the vehicles is likely well under $100M considering no physical parts need to be replaced.

EPA should lay the banhammer down.
Since the fix would be to run in "emissions compliant" mode the performance hit to these cars would likely result in a class action lawsuit from their owners so the cost of the recall is likely to go into the billions. That or VW has to retrofit a urea injection system onto each car which likely runs into the low thousands per car.

482,000 * $2500 per recall = $1.2B

I hope the EPA lays the hammer on them - GM got a $900M fine for ignition switches and I'd imagine the fine for this will be even higher.
This post thanked by:
Old 09-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #9
14 dolla balla aint got nothing on me!

Jeezus, this is going to be a PR nightmare.
cunninglinguist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #10

Thanked 7,109 Times in 1,264 Posts
Does anyone else wonder if this will somehow result in a class action lawsuit from the owners who cared about the environment?
jasonturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
Does anyone else wonder if this will somehow result in a class action lawsuit from the owners who cared about the environment?
Doubt it. What legal stance do they have? Contract was made with dealerships, not vw. Wouldn't they have to prove they suffered some sort of loss through this misrepresentation?
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 09:56 AM   #12

Legal stance is based on misrepresentation of course, that misrepresentation could come about from any form of VW advertisements/literature. (Which would make the company liable, not the dealers)

Damages, here are a few;
- Resale values will be impacted
- Additional repairs costs incurred in states where emissions testing is performed and owners had their cars fail which resulted in them buying new catalytic converters etc.
- Owners paying more money for a diesel thinking it would result in lower environmental impact only to find its worse than the gasoline version they could have bought.

Just googled it and...

Hagens Berman Files National Lawsuit Against Volkswagen Group of America for Emissions-Cheating Software, Polluting Cars | Business Wire

Its already started lol.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:17 AM   #13
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,820 Times in 501 Posts
Volkswagen Drops 23% After Admitting Diesel Emissions Cheat - Bloomberg Business

Share price shortly after Dieselgate:

That's not gone well...
Tone Loc is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2015, 11:46 AM   #14
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

I think the price of used TDIs on craigslist just went up...
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2015, 11:53 AM   #15

So let's assume they can "update/flash" the problem away.

How does the new emissions friendly calibration impact MPG and power?

They won't just be able to reduce emissions with calibration and not simultaneously impact other factors - if they could, there would have been no reason to be sneaky. So imagine you're an owner and your golf is 20% less fuel efficient after the emissions friendly calibration, you're pissed, and the company is now up shit creek for misrepresentation based on advertised MPG.

Really curious to see how VW works with the EPA to address the issue while also avoiding having to payout a massive lawsuit to owners.

1/5th of market cap wiped out, the potential fine alone is a maximum of 20B, this doesn't include recall or lawsuit costs.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:57 AM   #16
RS.net, where our google ads make absolutely no sense!

Agreed. Also, if you owned a TDI, why would you bring your car in for the "fix" knowing that your car would have worse fuel economy and/or power?

Only the biggest tree-hugging greenies are going to do that....

I read that in the US, 1/5 VW sold is TDI. Apparently it's even higher in Canada. This is going to hurt the company image, regardless of the fine they pay.
heleu is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 09-21-2015, 12:22 PM   #17
"Entertainment" mod.

Thanked 3,428 Times in 1,049 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heleu View Post
Agreed. Also, if you owned a TDI, why would you bring your car in for the "fix" knowing that your car would have worse fuel economy and/or power?

Only the biggest tree-hugging greenies are going to do that....

I read that in the US, 1/5 VW sold is TDI. Apparently it's even higher in Canada. This is going to hurt the company image, regardless of the fine they pay.
Yep, I'm never going to have this fix done if it results in a performance reduction. In fact, I might just get an aftermarket ECU tune done and delete the stifling emissions components with a catback (DPF included), and get even more power and surprisingly enough, improved fuel economy. The setup is cheaper than replacing a grenaded DPF while improving reliability.
CorneringArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #18
Ready to be Man handled by RS!

When i hear a story like that, I can't help but think someone did not get his hand greased as agreed and laid it all out for VW to bit the dust. To bad... reminds me of stories of sports athletes being doped, then x may years later "scandal! the athlete was doped"
tinico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 02:16 PM   #19

Thanked 31,141 Times in 7,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post
Since the fix would be to run in "emissions compliant" mode the performance hit to these cars would likely result in a class action lawsuit from their owners so the cost of the recall is likely to go into the billions. That or VW has to retrofit a urea injection system onto each car which likely runs into the low thousands per car.

I hope the EPA lays the hammer on them - GM got a $900M fine for ignition switches and I'd imagine the fine for this will be even higher.
GM also tried to avoid the recall based on the fact that paying out the amount of settlements to families of people killed in related accidents would be cheaper than the recall.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:45 PM   #20

Thanked 1,260 Times in 321 Posts
Have a 2014 jetta tdi and a 2014 passat tdi in the family. will be interesting to see how this pans out
asahai69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:50 PM   #21

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonturbo View Post
So let's assume they can "update/flash" the problem away.

How does the new emissions friendly calibration impact MPG and power?

They won't just be able to reduce emissions with calibration and not simultaneously impact other factors - if they could, there would have been no reason to be sneaky. So imagine you're an owner and your golf is 20% less fuel efficient after the emissions friendly calibration, you're pissed, and the company is now up shit creek for misrepresentation based on advertised MPG.

Really curious to see how VW works with the EPA to address the issue while also avoiding having to payout a massive lawsuit to owners.

1/5th of market cap wiped out, the potential fine alone is a maximum of 20B, this doesn't include recall or lawsuit costs.
In all likelihood, the advertised fuel economy (also measured by the EPA) was done in "clean emissions" mode.
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 07:17 AM   #22
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by supafamous View Post

482K vehicles? Try 11 million worldwide. They just set aside ~$7B USD to fix the problem and for PR. As if things couldn't get worse for VW....
Old 09-22-2015, 07:39 AM   #23
My AFC gave me an ABS CEL code of LOL while at WOT!

Thanked 4,518 Times in 691 Posts
Here's the lawyer talking about the issue and the class-action suit:

And the premium people paid for a TDI engine over a gas engine:

Quote:
CleanDiesel Price Premiums
Model Base Mid-level Top-line
VW Jetta $2,860 $4,300 $6,315
VW Beetle $4,635 n/a $2,640
VW Golf $2,950 $1,000 $1,000
VW Passat $5,755 $4,750 $6,855
Audi A3 $2,805 $3,095 $2,925
Sounds like if they tune the engine back down all the cars will run like shit, so who the hell would still want them? It will be interesting to see how much each owner could get from the lawsuit...
1992 Nissan President Sovereign, Black
1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R, Black
1989 Nissan Skyline GTS-4, Black
1986 Porsche 944, Black
SpartanAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:15 AM   #24
I subscribe to Revscene

11 million engines, this is bad.
akira112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:50 AM   #25

Thanked 2,169 Times in 959 Posts

Share price down from $170 to $106 in two days. Not sure how much worse it's going to get for these guys.

Re: 11 million engines. I'm not clear if they're saying that all 11 million have just the software cheat or that they have the cheat as well. It doesn't seem like it was necessary with the cars with the urea system.