REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events

Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events The off-topic forum for Vancouver, funnies, non-auto centered discussions, WORK SAFE. While the rules are more relaxed here, there are still rules. Please refer to sticky thread in this forum.

Old 10-11-2015, 10:45 PM   #1
I WANT MY 10 YEARS BACK FROM RS.net!

Thanked 4,525 Times in 1,357 Posts
**BC Supreme Court** District of Saanich Wins - 11 yr Old Girl Summer Camp Accident

Girl's playground accident not Saanich's fault, court rules

A "most unfortunate accident" in 2009 that left a then-11-year-old girl injured was not the fault of the District of Saanich, a B.C. Supreme Court ruling says.
Photograph by: Mark van Manen , Vancouver Sun files

VICTORIA — A "most unfortunate accident" in 2009 that left a then-11-year-old girl injured was not the fault of the District of Saanich, a B.C. Supreme Court ruling says.

In lawsuit filed by the girl and her guardian, the district was accused of being liable for what happened.

Justice Robin Baird said it was not established in court that Saanich employees exposed the girl to "an unreasonable risk of foreseeable harm, or failed to adequately supervise the innocent playground activities in which she was engaged with other blameless children on the occasion in question."

The girl was attending a summer day-camp at Gordon Head Middle School featuring painting, drawing and drama when she fell from playground equipment and hit her head.

She was one of about 16 children at the camp, which was held largely indoors, and was engaged in the occasional outdoor play that was part of the routine.

"I strongly sympathize with the plaintiff and her family," Baird wrote in his reasons for judgment. "What little I was told about the consequences of this accident suggested that the plaintiff's injuries were not trivial."

The girl was taking part in a game called grounders with other children when the incident occurred. Grounders is a version of tag in which the person who is "it" is on the ground and tries to tag others while they are on playground equipment. The person who is "it" has the option of climbing on the equipment, too, but his or her eyes must be closed.

The injured girl did not have her eyes closed when she fell. Baird noted that the girl was not pushed or touched, but was moving backward from the person who was "it" and lost her footing.

A camp worker was supervising the playground activity.

It was argued in the case that grounders is "an inherently unsafe activity" that ought not to be allowed, and that it had been previously banned from the school the girl attended. Saanich countered that it was a common game on municipal playgrounds and had caused no previous accidents.

Evidence from the municipality showed that in more than 11,000 days of summer activity for youth in Saanich from 2007 to 2013, the only injuries were the one that led to the court case and a handful of incidents at a skateboard park.

Baird rejected the argument that grounders was the sort of activity that needed parental consent or approval in advance.

"There is no doubt that games like grounders involve a small degree of risk, as do all children's outdoor activities involving running, jumping, climbing, tagging, chasing, dodging, feinting and so on," he wrote.

"But judging the matter by the objective measure of the reasonably careful and prudent parent, I conclude that the risk of harm inherent in such games is sufficiently remote that to permit children to play them is not unreasonable."
Advertisement
Timpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #2
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
It was argued in the case that grounders is "an inherently unsafe activity" that ought not to be allowed

Baird rejected the argument that grounders was the sort of activity that needed parental consent or approval in advance.
the fuck man, grounders was the shit. Kids get hurt in playgrounds all the time, what a fucking joke.
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2015, 10:51 PM   #3
Old School RS

Thanked 3,946 Times in 1,202 Posts
Thank god sanity prevailed. It's terrible that little girl ended up hurt but to suggest it is anything other than bad luck is silly. We are getting to be as bad as the Americans when it comes to frivolous lawsuits.

Mark
Old 10-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #4
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowside67 View Post
Thank god sanity prevailed. It's terrible that little girl ended up hurt but to suggest it is anything other than bad luck is silly. We are getting to be as bad as the Americans when it comes to frivolous lawsuits.

Mark
The difference is we seldom hand out judgments like they do down south. The vast majority of frivolous claims are thrown out up here. The same cannot be said down there.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-11-2015, 11:35 PM   #5
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 5,568 Times in 2,107 Posts
Wrap your kids in bubble wrap, keep them indoors in front of a tv at all times, and feed them drugs so they're not "hyper-active" because we don't want kids to ... Be kids ...
Jmac is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
I subscribe to Revscene

At that age youre in grade 5 or so... for gym we used to play capture the flag in a forested area where the ground was nice and clear.
To do this kind of activity in a playground where your caught in the moment and can fall off is stupid.
Said school
jasonturbo & westopher in the election thread
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8668948
http://www.revscene.net/forums/70467...ml#post8667115
Real news
www.tinyurl.com/kpg44bc
CharlesInCharge is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2015, 05:05 AM   #7
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,045 Times in 419 Posts
The plaintiff's family took a stab at a million dollar lawsuit and failed. All I gotta say is, try again next time.
mr_chin is offline   Reply With Quote
This post FAILED by:
Old 10-12-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
CRS
ninja edits your posts without your knowledge

Thanked 6,309 Times in 1,777 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_chin View Post
The plaintiff's family took a stab at a million dollar lawsuit and failed. All I gotta say is, try again next time.
You're what's wrong with today's society.

My FeedBack 53-0-0
CRS is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2015, 08:57 AM   #9

How much money did this family lose? The mount of money involved in a lawsuit like this must be substantial... especially when it's been taken to Supreme Court + lawyer fees.
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2015, 09:49 AM   #10
Head of HR....have a seat on that couch

Thanked 15,584 Times in 4,318 Posts
DON'T TOUCH!!! STAY HOME!!!

New no-touch policy introduced at B.C. elementary school | CTV News

Originally posted by v.b.
can we stop, my pussy hurts...
Originally posted by asian_XL
fliptuner, I am gonna grab ur dick and pee in your face, then rub shit all over my face...:lol
Originally posted by Fei-Ji
haha i can taste the cum in my mouth
Originally posted by FastAnna
when I was 13 I wanted to be a video hoe so bad

RSUV #7
fliptuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 09:52 AM   #11
Need to Seek Professional Help

Thanked 1,161 Times in 301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timpo View Post
How much money did this family lose? The mount of money involved in a lawsuit like this must be substantial... especially when it's been taken to Supreme Court + lawyer fees.
Thats their own fault and karma for using their child for a payday. When I got hurt in a playground, mommy and daddy told me to be more careful next time I play if I don't want it to happen again. Not go like, "hey son, lets go milk the city for some money so we can sell our crappy corolla and get a new car"
Galactic_Phantom is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-12-2015, 11:02 AM   #12
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,114 Times in 482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesInCharge View Post
At that age youre in grade 5 or so... for gym we used to play capture the flag in a forested area where the ground was nice and clear.
To do this kind of activity in a playground where your caught in the moment and can fall off is stupid.
Said school
you sure that isn't a secret boot camp disguised by your government so they can spy on kids to see who can be future potential candidates that can be recruited for their use?

sorry, just couldn't resist.
Alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 11:03 AM   #13

Looks like you can find more info here: 2015 BCSC 1750 Thompson v. Corp. of the District of Saanich
Old 10-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #14
reads most threads with his pants around his ankles, especially in the Forced Induction forum.

Thanked 2,191 Times in 1,131 Posts
lol I got injury all the time when playing in school playground. Even got a scar on my forehead. Mommy and daddy did nothing expect tough it up.

Kids are kids and they will always get hurt. If parents were to sue the school just coz their kids got a tiny burise all schools would close down or have kids wrap in bubble wrap and stay indoor all the time.
Mr.HappySilp is offline   Reply With Quote