REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Police Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/police-forum_143/)
-   -   What error could throw ticket out of court? (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705793-what-error-could-throw-ticket-out-court.html)

Ohkun 10-13-2015 11:28 AM

What error could throw ticket out of court?

I was having some discussion with my friend regarding this topic and I thought I'd ask opinion from more knowledgeable people.

Misspelled name, address or wrong make or color of car.
- Should not void the ticket as these can be easily verified by DL or Plate number

Wrong DL number?
Wrong Plate number?
-This is where I'm not so sure...
I would think, ticket is still valid as these can be looked up by Driver's name?

Any thoughts?

Let's keep 'you are wrong so you should pay' and 'please do not add to already backlogged court system' out of this thread...

Hot Karl 10-13-2015 11:57 AM

instead of such a finely crafted post, have you heard of the search button?

you're literally asking the most basic question on what could get a ticket thrown out.

meme405 10-13-2015 11:58 AM

I don't know where the line is, but definitely; make, model, colour, name spelling, address, none of these will make a ticket invalid.

Refer here:

Ticket Fallacies | DriveSmartBC

It says in one of the comments that "the wrong section number or the wrong wording for the offence on the ticket." Which we all know is incorrect, a ticket can be amended if by chance the wrong section number was listed.

I don't think there is a hard and fast rule. A traffic lawyer might be able to get you out of a ticket for a variety of reasons.

There is pretty much no way to have this discussion for me without mentioning that if you are guilty, you should just pay the ticket. It is simply something which goes against my personal moral code for a variety of reasons.

Ohkun 10-13-2015 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hot Karl (Post 8689185)
instead of such a finely crafted post, have you heard of the search button?

you're literally asking the most basic question on what could get a ticket thrown out.

I did search and I don't think there was any discussion about wrong DL or Plate number in past 2 years.

If it's been discussed many times already, maybe you could post link for me?

SumAznGuy 10-13-2015 12:47 PM

By the time the officer issues you the citation, only the officer can cancel the ticket.

When you dispute and go to court, the JP will not throw out the ticket. You can plead your case and try to argue/convince the JP that you were not guilty of the infraction.

For example, officer at a speed trap pulls you over and issues you a speeding citation. But you were driving the speed limit and have dash cam footage of another car speeding past you. You "may" be able to argue that case as the officer made a mistake pulling over the wrong car.

But if the officer made a mistake filling in the blanks, no the JP will not throw out the ticket.

You CAN try to argue the officer making such a simple mistake as writing down the wrong DL # or license plate number and question the officer's competency but I don't know how far you will get with that.

Remember, the officer get's the advantage when you walk into court so you have to argue to the point that you are right and the officer is wrong for the JP to rule in your favour.

Ohkun 10-13-2015 02:10 PM

Thanks for the input guys,

punkwax 10-13-2015 03:33 PM

I had a ticket thrown out because they wrote down that my green car was black.. that was 15+ years ago though...

Raid3n 10-13-2015 11:34 PM

on the ticket there are greyed out boxes, these are not critical to the tickets validity.

@SumAznGuy: if there is a blatant error, sometimes the ticket is thrown out by the people that process the ticket after the 30 days are up or you dispute it.

zulutango 10-14-2015 04:59 AM

The issuing Member can make application before the JP, to correct certain errors discovered after being issued but before the trial actually begins. Once testimony begins then changes cannot be made.

SumAznGuy 10-14-2015 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raid3n (Post 8689436)
@SumAznGuy: if there is a blatant error, sometimes the ticket is thrown out by the people that process the ticket after the 30 days are up or you dispute it.

I've had that happen before. Ticket was disputed and never received a court date. Went to the DMV to check and they said the ticket was cancelled.

I just assumed it was the officer that cancelled the ticket.

geeknerd 10-16-2015 09:38 AM

had two tickets thrown out while waiting for a court date. went to icbc after a year since i wasnt getting a court date and they said there was no tickets on file.