REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-18-2015, 02:26 PM   #1
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Car report scam?

Hey guys,

So im in the process of trying to sell my e46 on CL and I receive two emails that seemed a little off to me. They both mention that the car is a reasonable price and would like to take a look at it. But they also want a car report before seeing the car in person. I asked one of them which car report did they want to use and I got this website called lookupvin. Has anyone used this car report before? I was planning on getting a car proof.
Advertisement
ub3rn3wbx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2015, 02:30 PM   #2
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

Nvm is a scam lol
got sent the same link from the other person
ub3rn3wbx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #3
Proud to be called a RS Regular!

When selling a car, I usually print off an up-to-date car report. If people are really interested, they can look at it in person when looking at the car.
Too many scammer out there! glws!
Indyjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 03:13 PM   #4
My dinner reheated before my turbo spooled

Thanked 4,037 Times in 709 Posts
Put your VIN on the ad. Interested buyers can run the VIN if they like. You're not obligated to pay for the report unless you're also curious yourself.
swfk is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2015, 06:42 AM   #5
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
be careful when using VIN information like this. it's always best to read it right off the car and match it to the registration. i read on another message board where a shady seller posted the vin from a similar car with clean history, and buyers were not double checking beyond carfax whether it belonged to the actual car for sale.
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds

Last edited by thumper; 10-19-2015 at 11:14 AM.
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #6
My homepage has been set to RS

Thanked 2,657 Times in 543 Posts
When I was selling my e46 or subie someone demanded that I run a vin check and email him the history of the car, and that he wouldn't come over to see it unless I did so and unless I paid for it first. He did assure me that if it did check out he would pay me back when he bought the car. I just ignored him lol

Also another kinda on topic note, I ran a carfax for a car that I bought a few years back and it showed no accidents. The previous owner was nice enough to show me the ICBC papers though that he had for a few accidents, none of with showed up on carfax. Fucked up, don't use carfax for Canadian cars lol

370z Build Thread
E92 328xi Build Thread
NA6 Miata (Budget) Build Thread

Current: 09 370z, 07 E92 328xi, 16 R6
Past: 09 Civic Hybrid, 93 EG Si, 94 Integra GSR, 02 WRX, 99 NB Miata, 01 E46 325ci, 90 NA Miata, 03 CBR600RR
Limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:45 AM   #7
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limitless View Post
When I was selling my e46 or subie someone demanded that I run a vin check and email him the history of the car, and that he wouldn't come over to see it unless I did so and unless I paid for it first. He did assure me that if it did check out he would pay me back when he bought the car. I just ignored him lol

Also another kinda on topic note, I ran a carfax for a car that I bought a few years back and it showed no accidents. The previous owner was nice enough to show me the ICBC papers though that he had for a few accidents, none of with showed up on carfax. Fucked up, don't use carfax for Canadian cars lol
Interesting enough, I was also told that if I didn't produce a report from this website ( http://vin . xpxd . ca/ ) the person wouldn't come to even look at my car. Needless to say, I told her to piss up a rope and that she is welcome to look at my ICBC report.

Never clicked on the link however, but I still don't know if it's legit.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 12:04 PM   #8
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I wish there was some way to get a hold of online scammers and just beat them unconscious and then leave them in a ditch. only in a perfect world i suppose.
E-SPEC is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-19-2015, 03:48 PM   #9
Need to Seek Professional Help

If they are really interested in your car they wouldn't ask for anything and instead do their own checks after they have seen the car in person. Don't bother clicking on any of their links, as it prob is just scams.
teggy604 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 06:08 PM   #10
Captain Happy Bubble is my Homeboy

Anyone have a link to those Autocheck sites?

A couple were posted before but they don't work now
Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #11
Everyone wants a piece of R S...

Carfax for canadian cars LOL

Tried to sell a car down south, buyers were telling me it says its a no claims 1 owner car...

ICBC literally reports nothing to anyone...

Its probably my fault.
rriggi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 07:18 PM   #12
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,900 Times in 3,864 Posts
Use CarProof for Canadian cars, CarFax for a US import. Before doing either of those do a free ICBC check and a free myCarFax check for any red flags, using those two I've eliminated cars I had been interested in without spending any money. Only if they come back clear do I shell out the $75 for a CarProof.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 12-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #13
RS Lurker, I don't post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHatta View Post
Interesting enough, I was also told that if I didn't produce a report from this website ( http://vin . xpxd . ca/ ) the person wouldn't come to even look at my car. Needless to say, I told her to piss up a rope and that she is welcome to look at my ICBC report.

Never clicked on the link however, but I still don't know if it's legit.
hey, sent you a dm..i think i had the same person msg me lol
benzino888 is offline   Reply With Quote