REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Vancouver LifeStyles (VLS) > Vacations and World Travel

Vacations and World Travel Visiting our beautiful city? Come stay at the Arbutus Vista - Vancouver's Bed & Breakfast.
How was your trip? Which tour packages would you recommend/avoid? Must do's and must eats? Share tips, photos and experiences with other senior RS members who just want to get away..

Old 10-20-2015, 01:34 AM   #1
I Will not Admit my Addiction to RS

Indonesia anyone?

Anyone been to Indonesia? How's it like there? Any must do?
I am debating on 3 weeks trips there next month.. Is it enough time to look around?
Advertisement
chinook79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 05:48 AM   #2
WOAH! i think Vtec just kicked in!

in the same boat...but thinking about a trip next year.
JHatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:21 PM   #3
OMGWTFBBQ is a common word I say everyday

Thanked 2,775 Times in 1,171 Posts
Which part of it are you guys thinking of visiting? What are your interests?

To be honest I'd skip Jakarta entirely if possible.
fml
roastpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-20-2015, 09:23 PM   #4
Rs has made me the woman i am today!

Thanked 2,796 Times in 915 Posts
give reasons please...and how about the tourist traps like Bali?
Old 10-20-2015, 10:12 PM   #5
i like gifs

Thanked 7,785 Times in 2,695 Posts
Currently planning a trip to Bali and staying in the Seminyak area
Ch28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:48 AM   #6

Thinking about a trip to Bali and surrounding islands. Not sure of what time of year to go.

Thinking about a 14-20 day trip. Most likely going to skip Jakarta...we'd be going mostly for beaches and lounging.

I'm told average day cost (accommodations/food/alcohol) would be approximately $30 a person, but haven't done any research. (Also, I don't know if that's during high or low season). Obviously it depends on where you stay...

I read that people are friendly there. There was some discrimination against Indo-Chinese people in the late 90's to early 2000's, but that seems to be a thing of the past.
Old 10-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #7
I subscribe to the Fight Club ONLY

Thanked 2,341 Times in 970 Posts
I was in Bali last Dec and staying in the Seminyak area. I stayed at the W and it was pimp.

Right beside it, there is a very popular club where everyone goes "Potato Head Beach Club Bali"

I like Bali cause it was warm with great waves to surf. The ONLY thing i hated was traffic. FUCK it was gay. Getting anywhere was 1+ hr and then 1hr going back. It was a traffic jam city so don't expect you're moving fast.

A lot of car rides that takes 1-2 hours so don't try to squeeze 6 diff. locations all in 1 day.
6793026 is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 10-21-2015, 10:30 AM   #8

Has anyone gotten flights for cheaper than 800?
Old 10-21-2015, 10:35 AM   #9
linguistic ninja

Thanked 3,376 Times in 1,228 Posts
Indonesia is way more than Bali, unfortunately most people think the two are synonymous.

I've only been to 4 islands out of 17,000- Java, Bali, Gili Trawangan, and Lombok.

Java - skip Jakarta if you can, but if you find yourself stuck there there are a few things to see like the Old Port and the National Monument. The people are friendly. Malls are huge and opulent compared to Canada and nightlife is supposedly pretty good.

Borobudur - In the centre of Java. It's a travesty how most people I've talked to have never heard of this place. IMO its up to par with the individual temples of Angkor. Google image this place.

Mt. Bromo - In the East of Java. Amazing lunar landscape of a volcano which you can climb stairs (!) up to the bubbling crater. Go for sunrises.

Bali - beaches are meh IMO - much better in the Gili islands a ferry ride away. Ubud, in the mountains is magical. Spend some time there.

Gilis - These islands are tiny specks of sand in the grand scheme of things, but how gorgeous they are. It was mainly a backpacker destination when I went 4 years ago, as there was limited hot water and electricity, but it's likely to have changed (for better or worse depending on your own POV)

Lombok - stayed in Senggigi Beach which was nice and quiet after the Bali scene. A lot of people climb Mt. Rinjani which is pretty awesome apparently.

Still a card carrying member of the SFC :)

Last edited by CivicBlues; 10-21-2015 at 10:47 AM.
CivicBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
This post thanked by:
Old 11-17-2015, 02:11 PM   #10

In Bandung now heading to Jokjakarta today. So far, Indonesia is very interesting. Food and accommodation are dirt cheap and people are a lot friendlier than in Thailand. That doesn't mean that there are tons of people trying to rip you off though. Cities are quite polluted and traffic is horrible to say the least. I regret not getting life insurance every time I try to cross the street. Crosswalk is almost non existent.. If you have played old school game called frog where you are to cross the street dodging various things.. Imagine yourself as a frog..
In short, it's very interesting place to visit and I recommend anyone who wants to explore different parts of the world rather than a comfortable vacation.
Old 11-17-2015, 02:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinook79 View Post
That doesn't mean that there aren't tons of people trying to rip you off though.
Fixed....?

EDIT: Is crossing the street similar to vietnam? Just start walking and the vehicles will go around you?
Old 11-17-2015, 03:11 PM   #12

Yeah. Like Vietnam but with more cars and trucks unlike in Vietnam where you are mainly dodging bikes. I'm not used to post with smart phones so please bear with me if I make typos
Old 11-17-2015, 03:56 PM   #13

Ha, no worries.

What's the food like? got any pics?
Old 11-21-2015, 09:03 AM   #14
I bringith the lowerballerith

Went to Bali for Honeymoon in 2009 and I will chime in with the good/bag/ugly/tips

Good & Tips
Cheap as hell!
Hire a driver - only $40 USD a day, check Tripadvisor for the must reputables one (it's safe, as alot of Aussies do it).
Must go to Tanonlot, Monkey Forest, Kudeta (It's like a hip restaurant/club in the beach area in Seminyak)
Jimburan Beach: Go there for the view and seafood
Must go to the rice patty fields in the North, past UBUD. AMAZING SCENARY AND VIEW. While you are go to the plantation and try the cat shit coffee.
Must check out the silk, silver, wood, ceramic, print making villages!
GET VACCINATED AND DUCURAL BEFORE YOUR TRIP. I cannot stress this. We both got Bali Belly (go Google this, basically non-stop diarrhea)

Must eat:
Babu Guling (that famous roast pig place). I like chinese roast pork better but the skin on the Babu Guling is awesome
Warung Kolega - it's like a casual restaurant in Semiyak and you can chose over 70+ types of local Indo/Bali food. It's cheap quick no frill place

Bad:
Dirty and undeveloped. We stayed at a 5 star resort in Seminyak (most popular beach area) and next door was like undeveloped farm lands where it was filled with garbage and goats lol
Tourists gets ripped off: I noticed at several famous restaurants, there is a local price and then there is a tourist place.
If you hire a driver, just watch out if he brings you to all the silk, wood, print villages.
Dangerous: Most hotels have security checkpoints, probably due to prior bombings.
Old 11-21-2015, 09:38 AM   #15
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

GET OFF BALI TO ACTUALLY SEE INDONESIA!!!

Kuta and the surrounding area is Mexico for Aussies.

Go to the other islands like Sumatra or Borneo to go see the orangutans, fly over to Flores and go to the Komodo National Park (best diving i have ever done)

Atleast get out of the tourist areas on Bali and go explore the rest of the island...what's the point of going there if you just sit at a 5 star resort, just go to mexico
blkgsr is offline   Reply With Quote