REVscene - Vancouver Automotive Forum

Welcome to the REVscene Automotive Forum forums.

Registration is Free!You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! The banners on the left side and below do not show for registered users!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   REVscene Automotive Forum > Automotive Chat > Vancouver Auto Chat

Vancouver Auto Chat 2016 VAC Community Head Moderator: Raid3n

Old 10-22-2015, 01:26 PM   #26
I contribute to threads in the offtopic forum

Thanked 1,831 Times in 587 Posts
If your looking for a 5 speed manual, then that grey one is the one to go for right now.
Mine left last night sadly.....sucked watching that car drive off.

As for the IS300, there is not a lot out there to do with the car aside from aesthetics. You can put a header on there but its pointless as the gains are so minimal due to the self learning ECU.
This is why I was planning on doing the turbo setup. Proper gains but sadly was not able to get that done.

I still have the turbo kit and wheels from my IS for sale tho. If you are looking for parts when you get yours.

The 5 speed autos are decent as well. The auto is a great tranny in the IS.
Advertisement

07-17 G37 RWD Coupe Coilovers FOR SALE BRAND NEW
BoostedBB6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 01:30 PM   #27
I *heart* Revscene.net very Muchie

Quote:
Originally Posted by killerz124 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm completely new to cars and revscene and I'm looking for a car to buy. I have no idea around what price range cars are supposed to be so I've just been comparing them to the market. I essentially want a car that's already modded (pref lexus, acura or VW). I looked at this ad 2003 Lexus IS300 Sedan and I want to know people's takes on it.

I'm really looking for a good RSX type S, IS300 (2002-04), GTI or jetta. I essentially want a car that has nice aesthetics and has some power. Any suggestions on other cars to look at?

Thanks
If you're new to cars you're probably better off buying something stock and adding mods yourself. The last thing you want to do is to buy someone else's can of worms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
welcome. out of all the cars youve listed, 06+ GTI would be my recommendation.

GTI is one of the best cars ever made, and since the 70s it has changed how we think about our daily drivers. they are easy to mod, look great, can be very fast and can haul a family
A MKV GTI on a $10k budget might be a tad optimistic unless you are looking at rebuilts or Kingsway dealerships.
Old 10-22-2015, 02:33 PM   #28
Ask me about how I answered the question "How fat is TOO fat?"

Thanked 4,122 Times in 1,141 Posts
Curious, how come you sold your is300 anyways?

░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
Current
e92 335i 6MT FBO
e90 330i 6MT
Former
e46 330ci 5MT - RIP
uc1 5AT
em2 5MT
db7 5AT - RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyota86 View Post
the guys over at lambo vancouver said there are 60-70 pre-orders already. don't quote me though.
The_AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 03:05 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_AK View Post
Curious, how come you sold your is300 anyways?
It didnt make sense to keep the car when all I do with it is drive to and from work. Never really got to go out and drive the car and it made more sense to have the $$ in the bank rather than tied up in the car.

Wanted to put the Advans on the new car but not going to work out so there selling and the new owner bought the car without the turbo setup.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2015, 03:39 PM   #30
NOOB, Not Quite a Regular!

I had someone test drive the IS300 and apparently they said the gear grinded a little. On top of that the paint on the front bumper was peeling off (he probably got it done by someone that wasn't that great) and it has cigarette smoke residue in the car. Idk if that's worth it then
killerz124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:21 PM   #31
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxx View Post
welcome. out of all the cars youve listed, 06+ GTI would be my recommendation.

GTI is one of the best cars ever made, and since the 70s it has changed how we think about our daily drivers. they are easy to mod, look great, can be very fast and can haul a family
as a past owner of a mk5 gti, i am forced to disagree... worst car i've ever owned
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 04:34 PM   #32
Head Moderator

Thanked 6,462 Times in 2,081 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerz124 View Post
I had someone test drive the IS300 and apparently they said the gear grinded a little. On top of that the paint on the front bumper was peeling off (he probably got it done by someone that wasn't that great) and it has cigarette smoke residue in the car. Idk if that's worth it then
Grinding gears can occasionally be fixed by replacing the fluid with something better suited for the car, but not always. It could also be a sign of bad synchro's or even a faulty clutch system. The first is a cheap fix, the last two not so much.

As someone has already said, you might want to rethink buying a car that's already been modified. Unless you get into the nitty gritty, it's often hard to see what's been properly modified and what has had corners cut. That goes especially for anything that's not a simple bolt on (think ecu mapping, upgraded cams, etc). If it's only a cat-back or coilovers, those are pretty easy to see and eventually swap out, but at the very least have someone who knows wtf they're doing to put it up in the air so you can see if bolts are properly in place or if questionable repairs were done to fit them in.
Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:16 PM   #33

The IS300 has a common 4th grind because of how the gears are set in the case.
Running thicker gear oil solves the problem. Most only grind when there hot if its this problem. If it grinds in other gear then chances are its been driven rather hard. The W55 is a rather weak transmission.

The gray IS was also checked out by the guy who bought my car and he said it was clear the car was driven hard and not taken care of well. No reciepts for work done, past due for a timing belt but the owner claimed his mechanic said it does not need it yet (replace riming belt every 5 years of 120k). Car had 140+ and is over 10 years old.

These cars a are reliable but have there common problems. Weak standard trans, common security light staying on problem but thats about it.

Check things like the auto leveling light system. Lots of people disconnect it because the motors stop working especially on lowered ones.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-22-2015, 08:24 PM   #34
To me, there is the Internet and there is RS

Thanked 8,907 Times in 3,870 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBB6 View Post
It didnt make sense to keep the car when all I do with it is drive to and from work.
What did you replace it with? I would've thought an IS would be a great DD.
1992 Toyota Celica GT-S ["sold"] \\ 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD [sold] \\ 2000 Jeep Cherokee [sold] \\ 1997 Honda Prelude [sold] \\ 1992 Jeep YJ [sold/crashed] \\ 1987 Mazda RX-7 [sold] \\ 1987 Toyota Celica GT-S [crushed]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maksimizer View Post
half those dudes are hotter than ,my GF.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevYouUp View Post
reading this thread is like waiting for goku to charge up a spirit bomb in dragon ball z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good_KarMa View Post
OH thank god. I thought u had sex with my wife. :cry:
underscore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 PM   #35
I am on the internets

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
as a past owner of a mk5 gti, i am forced to disagree... worst car i've ever owned

OP should just go lease the new GTI and call it a day
maxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 10:42 PM   #36
Willing to sell body for a few minutes on RS

Thanked 31,157 Times in 7,153 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
Funny, mine was great. I literally never had one issue in 3 years and I beat the fuck out of that car.
To OP I'd suggest the is300. Toyota reliability is always going to be better than german, not to mention they look great and are RWD. As for mods, buy a car you like in stock form. Modding cars is great, but not if you need to mod it to like it. Thats why I'd never buy a VW ever again other than a golf R maybe. They just need some tweaking to look and drive better, then all of a sudden you've doubled your purchase price.
Westopher is correct.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fsy82 View Post
seems like you got a dick up your ass well..get that checked
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwax View Post
Well.. I’d hate to be the first to say it, but Westopher is correct.
westopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 11:01 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
What did you replace it with? I would've thought an IS would be a great DD.
It was a great DD, no question but just more car than I needed to get me around. The only thing I was not overly happy with was the fuel mileage. Given a 6th speed the car would do much better but 95% highway driving and I averaged 19-21mpg.
Sell it, buy something cheaper (both cost to buy and to keep running) but something I will still enjoy and bank the rest.

I have to go in for surgery tomorrow so I will be picking up the replacement on Saturday morning.

This post thanked by:
Old 10-23-2015, 04:45 AM   #38
Witness protection

Thanked 5,343 Times in 2,222 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by westopher View Post
Funny, mine was great. I literally never had one issue in 3 years and I beat the fuck out of that car.
To OP I'd suggest the is300. Toyota reliability is always going to be better than german, not to mention they look great and are RWD. As for mods, buy a car you like in stock form. Modding cars is great, but not if you need to mod it to like it. Thats why I'd never buy a VW ever again other than a golf R maybe. They just need some tweaking to look and drive better, then all of a sudden you've doubled your purchase price.
i wish i were that lucky. the longest i was without it while the dealer tried to fix the car was 23 days. went through two service loaners during that time because the jetta they gave me broke down as well
"The guy in the CR-V meanwhile, he'll give you a haughty glare. He's responsibly trying to lessen his impact, but there you go lumbering past him with your loud V8, flouting the new reality. You may as well go do some donuts in a strawberry patch and slalom through a litter of kittens." Dan Frio, Automotive Editor, Edmunds
thumper is offline   Reply With Quote