REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   Vancouver Off-Topic / Current Events (https://www.revscene.net/forums/vancouver-off-topic-current-events_50/)
-   -   World's strongest, most powerful hurricane about to HIT Mexico - category 5 storm (https://www.revscene.net/forums/705955-worlds-strongest-most-powerful-hurricane-about-hit-mexico-category-5-storm.html)

Acura604 10-23-2015 11:46 AM

World's strongest, most powerful hurricane about to HIT Mexico - category 5 storm

yikes... er... I got a planned vacay in Puerto Vallarta Nov 28th...should I cancel?! if that place gets hit hard with this storm, it'll take months to rebuild!

"This is really, really, really strong," said the World Meteorological Organization, while the US National Hurricane Center warned it could be like a "nuclear detonation".

Hurricane Patricia bears down on Mexico - CNN.com

(CNN)—Patricia -- the strongest hurricane ever recorded -- barreled closer and closer Friday to Mexico's Pacific coast, where residents have been told to brace for its 200-mph sustained winds and torrential rains.

The excessive wind speeds, according to the head of the Mexican agency that includes its national weather service, "makes Patricia the most dangerous storm in history."

By that, CONAGUA director Robert Ramirez de la Parra meant any cyclone ever measured not just in and around Mexico, but anywhere in the world.

Ramirez de la Parra predicted Hurricane Patricia will make landfall somewhere on the coast of Jalisco state -- which includes the tourist hotspot of Puerto Vallarta and is also close to Manzanillo and Colima -- between 5 and 6 p.m. CT (6 and 7 p.m. ET). But its impact should be felt much sooner, with 100 kph (62 mph) winds lashing the region in the early afternoon.

While its strength could fluctuate, "Patricia is expected to remain an extremely dangerous Category 5 hurricane through landfall," the U.S. National Weather Center said in its 1 p.m. CT (2 p.m. ET) advisory.

Already, Patricia is "the strongest hurricane on record in the National Hurricane Center's area of responsibility (AOR) which includes the Atlantic and the eastern North Pacific basins," according to a Friday morning forecast discussion.

The closest contender, at this point, might be Hurricane Camille, which battered the U.S. Gulf Coast in 1969. Patricia looks to be more powerful than that storm, as well as stronger than Hurricane Andrew in 1992, Katrina in 2005 and many others.

It's already surpassed them in one way: its central pressure reading -- the weight of the air above a system -- which is a key measure of any storm's strength.

Live updates on Hurricane Patricia

The midday Friday central pressure recording of 879 millibars (the barometric pressure equivalent is 25.96 inches) "is the lowest for any tropical cyclone globally for over 30 years," according to the Met Office, Britain's weather service.

Patricia's intensity is comparable to Typhoon Haiyan, which hit the Philippines in 2013, the World Meteorological Organization tweeted. More than 6,000 people died in Haiyan, due largely to enormous storm surges that rushed through coastal areas. Haiyan had 195-mph sustained winds when it made landfall, while Typhoon Tip was at 190 mph (and had a slightly lower pressure reading of 870 millibars) in 1979.

punkwax 10-23-2015 11:59 AM

http://www.gamerevolution.com/images...blebee_man.jpg

underscore 10-23-2015 12:05 PM

Is there a map of where it's projected to hit, without going to CNN?

pastarocket 10-23-2015 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by underscore (Post 8692468)
Is there a map of where it's projected to hit, without going to CNN?

-found this map of the hurricane in relation to Mexico:

http://static01.nyt.com/images/2015/...ster495-v5.jpg

corollagtSr5 10-23-2015 12:27 PM

Live coverage

Berzerker 10-23-2015 12:40 PM

RIP Mexico...

Berz out.

gilly 10-23-2015 01:18 PM

trees going crazy on livefeed

b0unce. [?] 10-23-2015 01:22 PM

Yeah I'm not sure whether or not to cancel my trip near the beginning of december for my trip to Puerto Vallarta.

corollagtSr5 10-23-2015 01:30 PM

Gillys and bounce avatar coincide with their responses lol

Hondaracer 10-23-2015 01:42 PM

Aye caramba

jdmfemme 10-23-2015 02:30 PM

I leave on Halloween for Playa del Carmen. Hopefully it escapes most of the carnage being on the other side. :(

SumAznGuy 10-23-2015 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmfemme (Post 8692516)
I leave on Halloween for Playa del Carmen. Hopefully it escapes most of the carnage being on the other side. :(

The sad part is that I was in Playa Del Carmen a few years ago and you could still see the damage that was left behind from Katrina.

It will be interesting to see how much damage Patricia leaves behind.

smoothie. 10-23-2015 02:35 PM

one by one, the webcam streams are stopping :(

jdmfemme 10-23-2015 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8692518)
The sad part is that I was in Playa Del Carmen a few years ago and you could still see the damage that was left behind from Katrina.

That is really sad.

One of the biggest factors I'd suppose is really going to be how the airport in Cancun holds up as that's where we're flying into.

murd0c 10-23-2015 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SumAznGuy (Post 8692518)

I just got back New Orleans on sat and you should see the damage Katrina left behind... The man hospital was abandoned to this day and they built a brand new one which opened a couple months about... Now that's fucked up shit.

punkwax 10-23-2015 04:13 PM

I think the damage done in Cancun/Riviera Maya was hurricane Wilma.. I got married there in October 2005 and there wasn't much damage from August's Katrina. Wilma absolutely destroyed the resort we were at literally 3 days after my party left.

Jmac 10-23-2015 04:13 PM

Just saw on the news a local woman is bunkering down in a bungalow one block from the beach with her kid instead of evacuating. :facepalm:

Jmac 10-23-2015 05:01 PM

How is this storm not covered on any of the 24-hour news stations (ie CNN)?

604STIG 10-23-2015 07:58 PM

Flying out to Cancun on Sunday morning for a wedding. Fingers crossed but it is on the opposite coast.

StylinRed 10-23-2015 08:23 PM

The UN issued a warning, THE UN

about 325+km/h winds which are strong enough to lift a plane and keep it in the air apparently :eek:

Quote:

The UN says winds are being clocked at 325 km/h, strong enough to lift a plane in the air and keep it flying

http://www.nasa.gov/sites/default/fi...6.1730.1km.jpg

Scott Kelly's photo from the ISS

others

Jmac 10-24-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Hours after record-breaking Hurricane Patricia made landfall in Mexico, preliminary reports Saturday revealed damage but no casualties in the state of Jalisco, where thousands of residents had hunkered down in shelters during the storm.
Pleasantly surprised by that report. Hopefully that number stays low.

http://www.weather.com/news/weather/...-coast-impacts

46_valentinor 10-24-2015 10:00 AM

Video from Facebook where a crew had to fly into the eye of hurricane Patricia. Pretty intense...
1st eye wall penetration into the Hurricane Patricia. The first 2 minutes is the approach and actual eye wall penetration, the next 2 minutes is in the actual eye of the storm and the last minute is the entry into the other side of the eye wall. – NOAA Hurricane Hunters

mr_chin 10-24-2015 03:43 PM

one of the strongest... :lawl:

twitchyzero 10-24-2015 03:56 PM

I'm assuming NOAA can't take atmospheric readings above or near the storm, hence they have to be physically in it?

H.Specter 10-24-2015 04:16 PM

guess taco prices are going up