REVscene Automotive Forum

REVscene Automotive Forum (https://www.revscene.net/forums/)
-   4x4's and the Great Outdoors (https://www.revscene.net/forums/4x4s-great-outdoors_226/)
-   -   Thinking about replacing my Cherokee... (https://www.revscene.net/forums/706040-thinking-about-replacing-my-cherokee.html)

underscore 10-28-2015 02:56 PM

Thinking about replacing my Cherokee...

...within the next year with something a bit newer and bigger. Top contenders at the moment are the 4th gen (2002-2009) Toyota 4Runner (N210) and 3rd gen (2005-1010) Jeep Grand Cherokee (WK). I fully expect to keep whatever I end up with for a long time, so things like reliability and maintenance costs are important whereas resale value isn't. But before I get my heart too set on either one I've got a few questions about them (and if you know of any common problems with either of them please share).

T4R: Any significant difference between the V6 and V8 other than the obvious increase in power and weight capacity? I rarely carry much in terms of weight so I'm wondering if the presumably stronger springs in the V8 will relate to a noticeably less comfortable ride? Is the rear auto-air suspension in the V8 costly to fix? Likewise with the XREAS system. I'm assuming if I wanted to do a small (2") lift the air and XREAS would get removed, in which case is that a straightforward procedure or are there some added hurdles/costs involved?

GC: I'm looking at 08-09's with the 4.7L V8, is there anything I should be worried about with those? A friend of mine has an 07 with the Mercedes turbo diesel and he's pushing me to get one of those, are there any major pros/cons between the two? I'm also told there's 3 different 4WD systems, one that's only 4H, one that has a 4L, and one that has 4L and elockers? I'd prefer to have low range handy, but how stout are the elockers? They sound cool but in my head I just see dollar signs if they develop issues down the road. Same as the 4R, any surprises in store if I wanted to lift it a couple inches?

Both: How much tech has been adding to the basic systems of these? I'll tolerate a drive by wire throttle if I must, but I absolutely refuse to own a vehicle with electronic braking or steering (where you don't have a direct physical link to them). Most importantly, how does the transition from 2WD to 4WD work? I absolutely love the mechanical system on my XJ that I can use at any time, but from my understanding nothing has that anymore. Can you change modes while moving, or is it a pull over, select 4H, wait a minute, and then drive affair? Also if anyone here has small kids and can comment on the ease of getting them in and out of the back would be a bonus (thinking long term here).

I'm also open to suggestions on other vehicles in this kind of category, I've considered pickups but I'd prefer to be keeping the ski boots and strollers warm and dry inside the vehicle.

underscore 10-28-2015 03:13 PM

On a side note I have no clue what a ballpark value for my Cherokee might be. 2000 Sport, auto, 235k. Fuel pump, rear shocks (Bilstein) and tires (Duratracs) are a year old, I figure $4k wouldn't be unreasonable?

corollagtSr5 11-21-2015 12:18 PM

Get a lexus lx470 with rear locking diff, it's basically a toyota landcruiser.

underscore 11-24-2015 09:29 AM

Tempting, but they looks to be hard to find and a lot more expensive than the other two.

aznkev03 11-24-2015 10:17 AM

I've had my '03 T4R V8 SR5 for the past ~50,000km now so my info might be a bit fuzzy but I was also deciding between a V6 and V8 at some point. I found the V8 to be much more powerful (I tow) and came with a 5 speed auto instead of the 4 speed on the V6 (unless it's 2005+). Mileage didn't seem like a huge difference so it was not a hard decision for me.

In terms of the drive selection, the V8s run in full-time 4WD with option of 4LO whereas the V6s run in 2WD with 4HI and 4LO options. You can switch into 4HI while moving as long as you're under ~55MPH.

As for kids and car seats, it's a tall vehicle so it's not so bad, but when I have kids of my own I wouldn't hesitate to trade for a minivan. Toddlers will probably have trouble getting on and off on their own without running boards though.